It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Azrapse: I am not sure if we have told this story here, but some years ago we saw ourselves in the situation that 3 or 4 different people had started to work independently on the same model without telling us or collaborating between them. So we eneded up with 4 people each offering us their own made Lambda-class shuttle model.
No, I didn't see this story.

Since then, we elaborated this document:

I've began working on the model just after consulting this document, where the transport was stated as not being made by anyone, so I've picked it. Yes, I undestand I should have asked you first, but that was just a momentarily decision. I undestand the situation - in case when two people are working with the same model, at least one of them is going to be upset :) And yes, it is way better of avoiding such situations and I should consult you in case I would try to make something in the future. By the way, one of the reasons I didn't ask about it, I wasn't sure will I make that model really. And in that case that wouldn't be right if I would just take that model to build, but forgot about it the next day :)

I mean it was my own desision and you do not owe me anything. In case you wouldn't use my model, I won't be very upset and angry and so on, it's OK :)

If yours is closer to meet the geometry requirements than the FotG one, we might opt for yours (even if it comes untextured). It depends very much on the amount of work that our 3D experts have to dedicate to them, since they are already overworked.

Considering textures... I can't promise anything, but in case you would send me some reference sample of your in team model, so I can look texture maps (diffuse, specular etc), how does those look, maybe I'll be able to provide you with something. But, again, I don't want to promise, since I didn't make textures for use in games.

It would help if you could send us a download link to the current state of the model so that they can have a look at it and make some comments of towards where you should focus. Is that a possibility?
Certainly. I'll send you a link here tomorrow - I don't have the model at this computer, so I need to get to the one, where the model was made first. Only thing: since it might be needed to make changes to it, I would send you without making backface optimizations and so on, since those are time consuming and they might be needed to be done again after.

kumonko: Any update to this projct puts me closer to the controls of any craft in the sw universe than any idea Disney or EA have in mind right now.
Oh my... Don't tell me about controls =))) I've had so many ideas about contols and physics of theese crafts for at least fifteen years, so any programmer would kill me instantly, so there will be no chance he would need to program it ))
Post edited January 16, 2019 by Harh1981
Harh1981: Oh my... Don't tell me about controls =))) I've had so many ideas about contols and physics of theese crafts for at least fifteen years, so any programmer would kill me instantly, so there will be no chance he would need to program it ))
I think this is the main reason they decided to stick with the basic physics and AI behaviour of pre-existing games (there will be the option to use XvT and XWA physics), a lot of it is personal preference and while a few changes to the game are rather obvious (look at the new targeting computer for example) others really aren't, so better leave them now as they are and just open a door for future modders to mess with them if they so please. After all if you start to change stuff when do you stop? In other places there have already been proposals for a "new canon" mod that would introduce imperial and rebel specific crafts seen in Rebels and Rogue One instead of having some ships being used by both sides or to have the possibility of a split throttle since most crafts have two engines.
Post edited January 16, 2019 by Det_Bullock
Here is the model in it's current state. Download link:
https://dropmefiles.com/HNe64

There are 4 files in the archive: two MAX files 2010 version, so they will open in 3DSMax 2010 or later, and two FBX files. They are the same, but exported in FBX. Why two: one is TransportFull - it is the full model with both engines and both sides. Second is: TransportPart. It is the same, but I didn't mirror left side parts from the right side. Unsure are they needed to check the model. Apart of that, they are the same. I've collapsed all to Editable Meshes just in case. Model is made in metric system with centimeter set as the system unit. Transport's size and form is bought from XWA Upgrade OPT model, hope it is OK. There are no backface optimizations for now, so all the model has no open edges for now. I know I need to make it later. And yes, top grille (those blue "holes" at the transport's top) is made a bit stupid with no solids intersection, so there are 660 tris of waste, I'll change it when and if it will be needed.

Det_Bullock: I think this is the main reason they decided to stick with the basic physics and AI behaviour of pre-existing games (there will be the option to use XvT and XWA physics), a lot of it is personal preference and while a few changes to the game are rather obvious
Yeah, I understand it. Will you alter this and that and you'll get a different game at the end. But I won't agree with you about "future modders" - no, in case no one make it at the beginning, there will be no such things later. I don't really propose making this stuff in the game, I'll just explain my point of view...

I'd like to see the ships in the game like they are actually true mechanical things with some kind of "space avionics" (of course I understand since we have "maximum speed" instead of "maximum acceleration", i.e. we don't have Newtonian physics, talking about physics of the game would sound funny for someone, but nevertheless. For example: when you harshly increase or decrease speed, the fighter craft must have nose floating a bit, when you turn and then beginning to fly straight the craft must stabilize, that also make it's orientation to float. Both theese things make shooting harder in fact.

Theese are just an example. What for? To make the game just harder for harder it to be? Actually not really... To make theese crafts live, so you do not longer feel you just point your aim with the mouse/joystick and say pew-pew. Problem is: it may sound a bit idealistic and a bit silly ("he has his own strange point of view"), but the most of the problem is that it takes too serious work with it for a "fanclub made game". Because to make theese fighter ships live and real, it would take serious (REALLY SERIOUS) work with the cockpits, since they must look more or less natural, but not some kind 3d model, also REALLY elaborate avionics system that looks faithful, more complex sound engine to make engine sounds alter when maneoring and so on... By the way, even playing TIE Fighter back 1994, I've always thought there must be just no way to turn off cockpit! For no one! For the rightful seriousness of the Empire :-)

Again: it is not a proposal, just some idealistic point of view on that how space combat simutaror should look like. And sometimes I think that actually making all theese stuff, also making the simulator more complex and HARD to master might not make it less popular, but way opposite instead. But that is just my opinion. And yes, talking about this seriousely, when people are working on this project with their free time and not with millions USD budget, when I should be happy even if this project will see it's release date... let's say, it is not only idealistic, but also very optimistic at the same time. So I'd better tell I thank the team that they are making this project the way it is, that they reconstructed a great imuse system (for my point of view TIE Fighter had one of the best game musical accompaniment for all the games I've seen), that the really try to make Star Destroyer Really look like a Star Destroyer and so on... Only I'de wish for the cockpits to look the way they were in XWing, it had almost the best cockpits for space sim :)

Sorry for this a bit extensive post =)
Attachments:
transport.jpg (204 Kb)
I was convinced by a friend to buy to Elite Dangerous today. After I bought it, I told him how much I miss the varied missions of X-Wing. I told him Wipeout (Playstation 1) had an impressive fan remake called BallisticNG. If Wipeout could have a remake then why not X-Wing? So here I am :)

I like to join and help! I love the idea of a modern X-Wing and Tie-Fighter simulator.

Azrapse: Do you have any 3D modelling or artistic skill, or some programming background?
I had 2 weeks of 3D modeling. In Blender, I made a helicopter (hovercraft) with spinning blades that can transform into a running robot.

As for artistic skills, I draw in pen & pencil of real life & anime. I take photos on a Canon T3i DSLR camera. I have a decent eye for art :)

I have a computer science background with one of my specialty being game engineering.

I can test the XWVM with HOTAS & VR headset. If you like, I can even test XWVM with an arcade joystick and Logitech G series racing wheel, shifter & foot pedal haha.
Post edited January 26, 2019 by neoken
Sorry for all the artist attending International Art Institutes. Just found out the one in Pittsburgh is closing and from what I'm hearing they are all shutting down. Hope it works out for all who attend.
Post edited February 01, 2019 by rkinkjr
Even though we're not working on implementing support for TIE Fighter's mission yet, we are making sure that the Imperial fighters are ready for that when the time comes. Or if anyone wants to build custom missions using Imperial fighters.
For that, we've implemented an Imperial HUD as well as a WIP TIE Fighter Cockpit.

More info on ModDB. :)
Attachments:
FekLeyrTarg: Even though we're not working on implementing support for TIE Fighter's mission yet, we are making sure that the Imperial fighters are ready for that when the time comes. Or if anyone wants to build custom missions using Imperial fighters.
For that, we've implemented an Imperial HUD as well as a WIP TIE Fighter Cockpit.

More info on ModDB. :)
Those are aweome, but just curious is the X-wing cockpit started development yet? I would imagine it looking much like the y wing cockpit detail.
No one has started on the X-Wing cockpit yet.
JKing: No one has started on the X-Wing cockpit yet.
Not strictly true (if you consider the work that I did before I joined...). :)
Just curious. from the photo updates of the Star Destroyer, any idea when it will be completed for a future update? Photos from what I've seen look really well done.
If you're looking for developers I've got a pretty extensive background in C/C++/C#, game development, architecture, and all of that fun stuff. I could elaborate a bit more in private. Definitely wouldn't mind helping out when I've got free time though.
Post edited March 01, 2019 by greg8997
Which ships have been completed and which are still left to do?
Calamari cruiser, satellite, tug, and training platforms are all unclaimed.

As for what's done, Y-Wing, TIEs, shuttle, corvette, probe, and container, as well as the Y-Wing cockpit are done or nearly.

We have a spreadsheet here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1paGzo83dohy2R1RO6xxONWsHSeA-RXdJhxQb1E71sGM/htmlview
Post edited March 09, 2019 by JKing
I don't have any modeling or rendering skills, just want to follow this with great interest. I had the '96 Mac PowerPC version of this game and would love to see XWVM come out!
rkinkjr: Just curious. from the photo updates of the Star Destroyer, any idea when it will be completed for a future update? Photos from what I've seen look really well done.
Sorry for the late reply - the ISD is moving forward, I should have an update to share soon. :)