It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

So, today I have updated the game 1.1.9.8 > 1.2.0.0 > 1.2.0.0 hotfix 1 > 1.2.0.1 hotfix. According to the patcher, the updates have been successful.

After launching the game, the screen goes dark and nothing happens.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
Trry excluding the game from being checked by any anti-virus programmes you have.
I read some guy saying that if you disable a DLC (can't remember which one) the game will work, but if you have that DLC installed it just freezes while loading.
Same problem here. Anti-virus program is NOT interfering!
The game doesn't even show the welcoming screen ... really great work for a "hotfix".
Notify me when there's a stable version for at least five days, otherwise I'll just ignore further "updates" and "fixes". :(
Post edited November 21, 2023 by SilverVeteran
SilverVeteran: Same problem here. Anti-virus program is NOT interfering!
The game doesn't even show the welcoming screen ... really great work for a "hotfix".
Notify me when there's a stable version for at least five days, otherwise I'll just ignore further "updates" and "fixes". :(
Oh, there's me giving advice a post back and me and my wife just updated and tried to play. Both of us are getting the same. I get a crash after I launch and the log file says a couple things about initiating graphics and then says nothing more, my wife gets no crash message and just hangs and her log file has NOTHING in it at all.

Nothing has changed since we last played (I think 1.1.9.8), she has the gog version and I have the steam version and we never had any connection issues before, no launch issues, no crashes.

This is disappointing. I bought D4 and that was fun for a few days but then me and the discord channel im on got bored all at the same time and only 2 out of 30 people play now. The rest then went to Last Epoch but complaints were made about that (mainly waiting 30+seconds when you move to a new area and then get a 2 second loading screen because their servers are badly setup). I decided to stream Grim Dawn to my buddies to show them that a really old ARPG can knock the hell out of most new ones but I can't because it won't run.

I've been watching steam, gog and reddit about the 2.0 release and this problem seems reasonably common. Something has changed and doesn't work with a decent amount of systems. I already posted in a thread on steam saying im getting this issue as well as others and also on reddit. Hoping others will raise this issue and it gets fixed, I want to play! It's been a few years to long to ask for a refund ;)
Xavierimus: So, today I have updated the game 1.1.9.8 > 1.2.0.0 > 1.2.0.0 hotfix 1 > 1.2.0.1 hotfix. According to the patcher, the updates have been successful.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
I'm getting the same thing. Fresh install. No, it's not mods or antivirus, I've ruled that out. Starting the game just gives a black screen and nothing.

Edit: What's odd is the game runs when using C:\Gog Games\Grim Dawn\Grim Dawn.exe, but NOT C:\Gog Games\Grim Dawn\x64\Grim Dawn.exe.

In other words, the 64-bit binary does not run. Only the 32-bit version does.
Post edited November 22, 2023 by emf2718
Is this when using Galaxy to launch or are you launching the game without Galaxy?
Make sure to also contact the developers directly, I'm not sure if they are active on the GOG forum.

Here is their contact page:
https://www.crateentertainment.com/contact/
Post edited November 22, 2023 by SpellSword
Xavierimus: So, today I have updated the game 1.1.9.8 > 1.2.0.0 > 1.2.0.0 hotfix 1 > 1.2.0.1 hotfix. According to the patcher, the updates have been successful.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
emf2718: I'm getting the same thing. Fresh install. No, it's not mods or antivirus, I've ruled that out. Starting the game just gives a black screen and nothing.

Edit: What's odd is the game runs when using C:\Gog Games\Grim Dawn\Grim Dawn.exe, but NOT C:\Gog Games\Grim Dawn\x64\Grim Dawn.exe.

In other words, the 64-bit binary does not run. Only the 32-bit version does.
Well damn, I tried all kinds of things to get the game to run but using the 32 bit wasn't one of them and it works! I've got access to all my characters and everything works fine so I'll just use 32 bit for now till they fix it.
Again is this problem happening when using Galaxy or when you use manual installations of the game?
MedeaFleecestealer: Is this when using Galaxy to launch or are you launching the game without Galaxy?
Directly. I don't use Galaxy.

I played GD a ton before version 1.2-I even had a level 80-something character in version 1.9.8.
I'm using the steam version, my wife has the gog. While I can play fine on the 32 bit exe we now updated my wifes game and her 32 bit spits out "Error could not initialize graphics engine" and the 64 bit exe just locks up when you load it.

This kind of sucks. I've spent FAR too much time messing around trying to get this to work. Think im just going to cut my losses and wait till they release a fix/patch.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Ok, so I put in a bug report on Crate's forums, and now I'm stuck on the "convince the devs this is an actual issue and not dumb user-fuckery" step. I gave them a crash dump, hopefully they'll actually read it.
This is most probably setup-related, because both the 1.2.0.1 and 1.2.0.2 builds of the 64-bit binary work fine here.

I only tried these builds of Grim Dawn on a Debian GNU/Linux 12 (Bookworm) with WINE 8.0.
vv221: This is most probably setup-related, because both the 1.2.0.1 and 1.2.0.2 builds of the 64-bit binary work fine here.

I only tried these builds of Grim Dawn on a Debian GNU/Linux 12 (Bookworm) with WINE 8.0.
Did you try the latest hotfix 2 build?
Edit: Goddamn if only I could read. Yes you were perfectly clear, I can't read.