It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Showing you how government works, in case yours doesn't!
Speaking from one organization that has had an unpopular shutdown to another: America. What are you doing? America? Stahp.

Shutdowns are never popular, and all of the polls show that this is not a big hit with most Americans either. Americans may be looking for something fun to do, since all their parks are closed for the moment. Thankfully your favorite purveyor of digital games is here to help. It occurs to us that one of the problems may be that there are people on Capitol Hill who don't know what a functioning government looks like, so we thought we'd help and point a few out with a special 24-hour 50% off [url=http://www.gog.com/promo/shutdown_promo_091013]Shutdown Promo.

The Guild: Gold Edition is a great place to see where the term "Machiavellian Politics" originated from. If you're looking to find a land where earning power was the key to success in the political arena, look no further. Meanwhile, in Capitalism Plus and Capitalism 2, you can get the best economic sims that money can buy half off and see for yourself how a demand economy functions. Tropico Reloaded is 50% off as a reminder of what can happen when governments go awry, and Alpha Centauri (with the Alien Crossfire expansion!) has more different styles of governments modeled than you can shake a stick at. So, really, these games are a quick lesson in civic government. Because we're concerned for you guys.

There has been a lot of furor over health care in America leading up to this shutdown, and we think it's a shame so many people are upset about medicine and how to treat each other. To help further our educational mission for this promo, we figured we'd put Theme Hospital in the sale as well, because that way you can judge for yourself just how tricky it can be to balance the needs of sick patients against limited budgets. Finally, for reasons entirely unrelated to who may or may not have been involved in shutting down the US Government, we also appear to have Redneck Rampage on sale 50% off.

Finally, we would like to express our condolences to everyone who's been furloughed by the shutdown. More than that, actually, we'd like to offer you the games pack of our special Shutdown Promo for free. Send an email to [url=]thanksobama@gog.com[/url] with your picture holding the official furlough letter you received, before Friday 11 October 2013 at 12:00 EDT and we'll give you The Guild: Gold Edition, Capitalism, Capitalism 2, Tropico: Gold Edition, Alpha Centauri + Alien Crossfire, Theme Hospital, and Redneck Rampage free.

We hope the games will keep you all occupied while you're waiting for someone on Capitol Hill to get their act together. Meanwhile, get The Guild, Capitalism Plus, Capitalism 2, Tropico: Gold Edition, Alpha Centauri + Alien Crossfire, Theme Hospital, and Redneck Rampage 50% off (or free if you met the requirements above), in our special Shutdown Promo! The offer lasts until Thursday, October 10, at 12:59PM GMT.
willz06jw: At least it was another American calling me a redneck -- that I can handle
TheEnigmaticT: Let's be fair, here: I'm born in Georgia and grew up in Florida--I'm a redneck myself. ;)
If so, you lost 10 redneck points by mentioning Machiavelli :)
Post edited October 09, 2013 by willz06jw
Continuing with this is just going to get me riled up at which point I'll piss off someone who's opinion I do value so I'm going to go play some Lionheart and maybe pester someone in the NFL Suicide Pool forum.
Hilarious promo! :D
Epic hilarity. Appreciated.
GOG.com will never shut down!

If it came to that, I think that there would be many people that will continue with whatever is left and keep the torch burning!

Even if there isn't an internet for some reason, I'd personally set one back up for GOG.com!
By the way GOG, this may be your best troll ever next to your comment on Angry Joe's Xbox One video (and I still hate myself for not screen capturing it!)
I am a bit surprised by the reaction this promotion has received. I can understand the shutdown situation being a sensitive topic for some, but I fail to see the issue here at all. It is a fun way to promote games within a similar theme, and I see no ill will from GOG in doing so. People are becoming entirely too serious these days, especially within the gaming community.

willz06jw: Please refrain from writing about politics in countries other than your own.
But they really aren't. They are just looking for fun ways to promote games. Nothing in the original post reads as some form of political commentary they are hoping we take seriously.

Now, to decide if I want Theme Hospital or Alpha Centauri. The only two games I am missing and have wanted for a long long time.
jamyskis: Tip from a customer perspective: given that tensions from a previous (and poorly advised) PR stunt are still in the air, calling this a "shutdown promo" was probably not the best thing to do.
Haha, yeah, also thought at first "OH NOEZ" :D
But this is really a great idea, especially them giving the games for free to the ones affected :)

And lol, Redneck Rampage :D
willz06jw: CD Projekt RED,

Please quit involving yourself in our politics. I am a big supporter of GOG.com and own dozens of your titles, but you are sticking your nose where it doesn't belong.

Let me list the offensive garbage from your last GOG.com news post:
-America, what are you doing? (None of your concern; Poland, what are you doing -- as if anyone cared)
-People on Capitol Hill who don't know what a functioning government looks like (like the Polish government?)
-Machiavellian Politics (Have nothing to do with the politics surrounding the shutdown - read The Prince)
-It's a shame so many people are upset about medicine and how to treat each other (Did your five year old daughter write that?)
-Equating our right leaning opposition group involved in the shutdown to the characters in Redneck Rampage (Are you guys members of the Polskie Stronnictwo Ludowe or what?)
-Using thanksobama@gog.com as the email address. (Yes you should thank him for creating his healthcare bill without a SINGLE vote from a party other than his own -- it will not stand)

Please refrain from writing about politics in countries other than your own.

Will Howard
Offensive garbage!? Where!?

I've heard a lot of jokes already about the shutdown, and very few of them involve free game giveaways. Humour is how most people deal with uncertainty - because normally reality is stranger than fiction, and sometimes you cannot make these things things up.

I think the best one so far is as follows:

Republican: "Can I shoot you in the head?"
Democrat: "No."
Republican: "Can I kick you in the head?"
Republican: "Can I punch you in the head?"
Republican: "WTF aren't you negotiating!?!"

It sure beats pictures of The Queen suggesting that this is a good time to retake the colonies! :p
As both a veteran and a worker currently directly affected by the shutdown, cheers for this GOG.
And while I am in the mood for mocking politics in general... I can't help but think that everything is a bit like this: http://youtu.be/KtiJAexxSPo
DrearierSpider: By the way GOG, this may be your best troll ever next to your comment on Angry Joe's Xbox One video (and I still hate myself for not screen capturing it!)
Wait, what?
As a taxpayer who doesn't understand why non-essential workers are usually retained on the taxpayers' dime, I'm a big fan of this partial government shutdown, though it does suck that I already own all of the games in this promotion.
Foxhack: I really don't like the fact that you used "thanksobama@gog" as the email address. This whole mess isn't Obama's fault. I get it, you're using the "Thanks, Obama!" meme that keeps making the rounds, but it's still a little bit in bad taste.
People can send their entries (or whatever you'd call them) to "thanksBoehner@gog.com", but they won't get anything for free. Which is just how Boehner would want it, I suppose.
I am highly amused. You guys are great. xP