It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Showing you how government works, in case yours doesn't!
Speaking from one organization that has had an unpopular shutdown to another: America. What are you doing? America? Stahp.

Shutdowns are never popular, and all of the polls show that this is not a big hit with most Americans either. Americans may be looking for something fun to do, since all their parks are closed for the moment. Thankfully your favorite purveyor of digital games is here to help. It occurs to us that one of the problems may be that there are people on Capitol Hill who don't know what a functioning government looks like, so we thought we'd help and point a few out with a special 24-hour 50% off [url=http://www.gog.com/promo/shutdown_promo_091013]Shutdown Promo.

The Guild: Gold Edition is a great place to see where the term "Machiavellian Politics" originated from. If you're looking to find a land where earning power was the key to success in the political arena, look no further. Meanwhile, in Capitalism Plus and Capitalism 2, you can get the best economic sims that money can buy half off and see for yourself how a demand economy functions. Tropico Reloaded is 50% off as a reminder of what can happen when governments go awry, and Alpha Centauri (with the Alien Crossfire expansion!) has more different styles of governments modeled than you can shake a stick at. So, really, these games are a quick lesson in civic government. Because we're concerned for you guys.

There has been a lot of furor over health care in America leading up to this shutdown, and we think it's a shame so many people are upset about medicine and how to treat each other. To help further our educational mission for this promo, we figured we'd put Theme Hospital in the sale as well, because that way you can judge for yourself just how tricky it can be to balance the needs of sick patients against limited budgets. Finally, for reasons entirely unrelated to who may or may not have been involved in shutting down the US Government, we also appear to have Redneck Rampage on sale 50% off.

Finally, we would like to express our condolences to everyone who's been furloughed by the shutdown. More than that, actually, we'd like to offer you the games pack of our special Shutdown Promo for free. Send an email to [url=]thanksobama@gog.com[/url] with your picture holding the official furlough letter you received, before Friday 11 October 2013 at 12:00 EDT and we'll give you The Guild: Gold Edition, Capitalism, Capitalism 2, Tropico: Gold Edition, Alpha Centauri + Alien Crossfire, Theme Hospital, and Redneck Rampage free.

We hope the games will keep you all occupied while you're waiting for someone on Capitol Hill to get their act together. Meanwhile, get The Guild, Capitalism Plus, Capitalism 2, Tropico: Gold Edition, Alpha Centauri + Alien Crossfire, Theme Hospital, and Redneck Rampage 50% off (or free if you met the requirements above), in our special Shutdown Promo! The offer lasts until Thursday, October 10, at 12:59PM GMT.
Ooops.
Post edited October 09, 2013 by tinyE
GOG,you got a little advertising on Kotaku
Here's the link:http://kotaku.com/online-store-offers-free-games-to-furloughed-government-1442962648
Great idea for the promo, GOG.
Foxhack: I really don't like the fact that you used "thanksobama@gog" as the email address. This whole mess isn't Obama's fault. I get it, you're using the "Thanks, Obama!" meme that keeps making the rounds, but it's still a little bit in bad taste. Just a tad.

Cool promo otherwise, and good on ya for giving a bit of love to the people who're out of a job for the moment.
It's just a joke
Foxhack: I really don't like the fact that you used "thanksobama@gog" as the email address. This whole mess isn't Obama's fault. I get it, you're using the "Thanks, Obama!" meme that keeps making the rounds, but it's still a little bit in bad taste. Just a tad.

Cool promo otherwise, and good on ya for giving a bit of love to the people who're out of a job for the moment.
I think it's pretty clear who was actually being targeted with blame, if anyone. You read the Redneck Rampage tidbit, right?

Regardless, nice to see GOG have a bit of fun with the situation while giving us some great offers! You guys are awesome.

what else is there if we can't make fun of polititians? :)

EDIT: unintentional typo joke alert! :D
Post edited October 09, 2013 by Kunovski
Woo, Alpha Centauri! Escape into space, and if you don't like the way your neighbors are acting? 'Planet buster' their asses! ;)

Kunovski: ???

what did I miss?

did USA collapse?
triock: Not yet. :p
Sadly, at times I think it should simply so we can scrap the current shitty system that is in place and start anew.

Howdy, Will;

As the resident American at GOG, the guy who thought this up and convinced my European co-workers that this was topical, and the guy who wrote the above newspost, you can blame me for this one way or the other. I thought I'd just address your response with three points:

At least it was another American calling me a redneck -- that I can handle
Can't we give a bunch of games to TinyE? Since TinyE is american and he can never balance his books I think it would be a great idea
Am I then only one that noticed this?
I offer you this quote from will:
"Please refrain from writing about politics in countries other than your own."

Fair enough, however he has a crude photograph of Putin as his avatar. Am I the only one that finds this a tad hypocritical? So basically you don't want anyone OTHER THAT YOURSELF to talk shit about the politics of another country. I get it. :D
tinyE: Am I then only one that noticed this?
I offer you this quote from will:
"Please refrain from writing about politics in countries other than your own."

Fair enough, however he has a crude photograph of Putin as his avatar. Am I the only one that finds this a tad hypocritical? So basically you don't want anyone OTHER THAT YOURSELF to talk shit about the politics of another country. I get it. :D
I am an individual not a business
willz06jw: At least it was another American calling me a redneck -- that I can handle
Let's be fair, here: I'm born in Georgia and grew up in Florida--I'm a redneck myself. ;)

tinyE: I didn't notice that. That is pretty shitty. Like you said, cool promo, but blaming any one person for this is like singling out one person and blaming them for global warming.
Attachments:
Post edited October 09, 2013 by HomemComH
Now that is how you do satire!
Well done Gog.com
Throwing my two cents in since everyone else is. And maybe a few dollars later.

Is this situation a mess? For some people, yes. People are out of work, government facilities are closed, funding is about stopped, and it all happened for a reason that every American citizen will probably say, did not have to go as far as it did, regardless of which side you support. The the majority of Americans however, this doesn't mean much of anything. It won't mean much of anything for a couple weeks anyway. In my case, if the shutdown lasted to January, it wouldn't mean much of anything. And while a lot of people are worried about the whole situation, there's not a whole lot of ways this is going to play out. None of the results are going to be permanent, good or bad.

That being said, was it a little premature to pop off a few jokes? Maybe. It'd be a bigger laugh for the US Citizens after it was all done and dealt with. Am I bothered by it? Not really, there's crap on both sides, and while I throw my support behind the president I will say that there are things that could have been done better, less painfully. With this in mind, let's also point out that none of the commentary is towards the U.S. population in general. Internationally, polls and reports have high opinions of the concepts and of the U.S. itself, but not the Government. So it's silly for any one person to be personally offended by this.

Otherwise, I say to all you international readers to wish us luck in that there's as little pain as possible that lingers from the shutdown, and that it gets resolved soon-ish. And to you American readers, roll with it. If the shutdown hurts you personally, there's far more at stake to you than a few jokes from a distribution website. And if it doesn't, you don't have much reason to worry about it.