It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

We'll be removing a number of games from the GOG.com catalog - here's your last call to get them with a special discount!

Today, we're here to honor the promise we gave you to announce ahead of time whenever we're taking a game down from sales. We wanted to give you one last chance to get the titles we're delisting with a considerable discount, and the partners involved agreed. There are 35 games on that list and you can get them all for up to 80% off until Tuesday, September 2, at 3:59AM GMT. Any title you buy will remain in your collection even after it's removed from our catalog, so you can always download and re-download the installers and bonus content. Check out the promo page to see which games this concerns.

We're still ironing out a few details. For now, the promo pages, like the one for the Last Chance Special, list all the game prices only in US dollars. But don't freak out: if you chose to use your local currency you will see the prices in local currency in checkout, and you can still finalize the transaction in local currency. We hope to have this issue fixed within the next weeks.
aidenvdh: Perhaps gog could avoid introducing local prices while avoiding local currencies at all? Honestly I don't know - other than the user experience, availability and a potential error-like pricing advantage as outlined above, there are various concerns related to international law, accounting, taxes and publisher contracts. ;) And probably more. I don't think it came up like a manager shouting "I've got an idea, let's allow users to pay in euros". It must be painful to make it happen.
Yes, high effort and low benefit. I doubt it pays off. And it's confusing to have prices in different currencies, even more when currency rates change.
Petrell: Except it looks worse on my small 15" 1366x768 screen. The top banner (the what's new banner) is all I see on front page unless I scroll down. I used to be able to see about half of front page on old layout :-( They seem to have changed fonts too as page font is lot bigger than one used in forums so now I need to zoom in or out depending whitch I'm reading. Pretty much everything (except things that did not change) takes more space than they used to.

Lol! Games pull down menu only barely fits my screen! Who designed this shit?
The new page wastes a lot of space. Even worse they distribute the essential infos all over the page (star rating at the top left, price at the top right, other game infos down on the right) so you permanently have to scroll the page up and down. Just annoying. The old site had anything you needed on one page, you only had to scroll down when you wanted to read the game reviews.

Edit: Even worse you now have to click a link to see what's included in a game pack. :(
Post edited August 27, 2014 by eiii
I'm just going to add my .02 about the cluttered site redesign - ugh-ly. But I wasn't a big fan of the previous one, either.
Unfortunate news. The sudden removal of no less than 35 games from GOG's catalogue is a rather bitter pill to swallow. Hopefully a satisfactory arrangement will be found later so that these games can be brought back here eventually.

The generous sale will at least allow me to add some of them to my shelf before they're gone.
micktiegs_8: Oh, you caught my post before I edited?
Pangaea666: Must have... because what is stated there was very different to what I read :D
Yeah, I changed it to save myself the obvious backlash. I'm glad your comment was only mild though :)
high rated
IronArcturus: What's going on? Why is GOG losing so many games? :(
G-Doc: The original news post is not that detailed, so I suppose some further explanation is needed. Our aim was to give you - as always - best possible DRM-Free digital distribution platform, focused on the people who use it. We believe in freedom of choice and fair treatment for all. For that reason, as we're introducing local currency payments, we're following the simple truth that $1 does not equal 1€, in other words, that 1:1 currency exchange rate for digital goods prices make absolutely no sense and are not fair to the buyers.

For that reason, along with the local currency payment option, we're starting to use our own pricing scheme that brings the value of non-US Dollar prices as close to their actual equivalents as we can help it. A game with $5.99 price tag - for example - will cost 4.49 Euro, 3.69 Pounds Sterling, 6.49 Australian Dollars, and 219 Roubles respectively.

Now, this is not your standard approach to pricing - just like our DRM-Free policy is not a standard approach to digital goods ownership. We did our best - and so did all of our partners, to keep all of the games in our catalog and offer them in the pricing scheme we've figured out, that we think is fair to all of you guys. Unfortunately, some of our developer and publisher friends had other obligations that made it impossible to reach a common ground. So, despite our combined efforts, the only sensible thing left to do, was to withdraw the problematic titles from our offer for the time being.

We know this is quite a radical step, and we're sorry if this causes you any concern. We do hope, that we'll figure this out in the future and will be able to re-introduce all these games to the GOG.com offer. There's definitely the will to do that on both ours, and our partners' side. For the time being, they've been kind enough to offer you a last chance to get the games we're removing from sales with a nice discount, so they can remain in your collections regardless of their future fate on GOG.com.

I hope this puts things into proper perspective, and clears out at least most of your questions.
Going to get neg'd to hell and back for this but I don't care.

Countries are different. Economies are different. You can't take a US price and expect everyone to pay the same thing. You're taking a moral stand and that's nice, but it's a more complicated issue than the people converting on google and screaming want to admit. When I travel to Europe everything costs more. A Steak dinner in the US is about $20. A steak dinner in Ireland cost me about 20 Euro. I didn't scream that 20 Euro was about $35 and a hell of a lot for a steak, I paid the local price. The people who live in Ireland are used to a steak costing $35 in their economy.

People like to believe we're all one country now with no borders or differences because the internet makes it feel like that, but we're anything but. The differences are massive when it comes to economies. If a publisher wants to charge more for their game in France and less in Russia because of the economies in those countries they are not being evil or selfish, they are being good business people who notice things like average wages, cost of living, average costs, etc.

And beyond all of that, dismissing everything I just said, publishers should be able to charge what they want. You shouldn't tell them what to charge. Let the market decide how proper the price is. The consumer is in complete control in a capitalist system. If GOG users thing 6 Euro is too much then they won't buy, and Nordic will reconsider their pricing. Steam can charge a $ = Euro price because people accept it, don't care, and know it's the same price as in their local shop anyway.

End rant.
low rated
An absolutely ridiculous strategy to do and quite frankly an insult. Why on earth remove them just because some shitty countries cant afford them. I don't see the logic in simply stopping everybody from buying them.

I mean it's not as if there is anywhere else to download them from. ....oh wait!
Oh, well. I hope Nordic Games will come back, and bring Black Mirror 3 here.
Is there any chance that these titles will come back in the future or is it as likely as a snowman's chance in hell?
awalterj: Bad news, but great sale. I'm buying Black Mirror 1 & 2 here on GOG, won't buy Black Mirror 3 anywhere else.

Just sent a polite but firm email to Nordic Games to explain why I most unfortunately can't buy any of their products in the future because I only buy games here on GOG.

A bit passive aggressive, but that's how it is.
Could you give me the e mail adress, actualy this is a good idea, we should flood their e mai adress with complains, matbe we should recruit some anti DRM 4 chan members to the cause and make Nordic and Frictional feel real guilty and sorry for causing this.

Also I came up with another crazy idea, ask the GOG staff how much would it cost to them to get back those games and make a long lasting contract and then make a big donation campaign to help them gather the cash, we have been here taking GOG's freebies and promos for too long, maybe it is time for us to give, What the heck, maybe we could fund not only this, but other contracts in the future, LET'S DO IT FOR A DRM FREE WORLD!
I said it and warned about the so-called "fair" pricing before GOG implemented it. A lot of people were upset at me for speaking out. However, I am gonna say it again:

Equal is not the same as fair. Here is a good example: communism supposedly enforces economic equality, but it is also fundamentally unfair. What GOG has is "equal" pricing, i.e., equalized prices across different regions. However, is nothing fair about GOG's so-called "fair" pricing. In fact, it is economically and fundamentally unfair.

Here is a simple economic fact: a dozen eggs do NOT and should NOT cost the same in the US, Europe and China. The eggs should not even cost the same in different European nations. Different regions have different wage levels, different living standards, different tax rates, different piracy rates, different socio-economic conditions, etc. So the same merchandize is actually worth very differently to people in different regions. The same economic principle applies to video games as well.

When GOG makes American customers and Western European customers pay the exact same price for a game (on the face value,) American customers - who have lower socio-economic standards than people in many Western European nations - are actually paying more. That is the gist of some very important economic fundamentals.

When I first read about the misnamed "fair" pricing, the economist in me immediately reacted, "how is it fair?!? It is most unfair." The prices may be equalized across borderlines, but economically it is certainly NOT fair. I knew GOG would lose publishers over the "fair" pricing idiocy. I brought it up in the GOG forum as a warning, but was immediately dismissed and silenced by mobs who demanded "fair" pricing. Mob mentality seems to rule at GOG. Now GOG is suffering the consequences. It does not bore well for the long-term viability of GOG if publishers start abandoning GOG over the equal-yet-unfair pricing.
Post edited August 28, 2014 by ktchong
j0ekerr: So anyways, what are the must-haves in the list? As someone who doesn't own nor has played any of them which ones should I pounce on?

I'm a fan of good ol' RTS games, Spellforce seems pretty interesting to me.
Spellforce has it's annoyances (like the fog coming back after each reload), but it's definitely worth a try. One of the few games I actually have completed. At this price a clear buy for me.
Petrell: Except it looks worse on my small 15" 1366x768 screen. The top banner (the what's new banner) is all I see on front page unless I scroll down. I used to be able to see about half of front page on old layout :-( They seem to have changed fonts too as page font is lot bigger than one used in forums so now I need to zoom in or out depending whitch I'm reading. Pretty much everything (except things that did not change) takes more space than they used to.

Lol! Games pull down menu only barely fits my screen! Who designed this shit?
eiii: The new page wastes a lot of space. Even worse they distribute the essential infos all over the page (star rating at the top left, price at the top right, other game infos down on the right) so you permanently have to scroll the page up and down. Just annoying. The old site had anything you needed on one page, you only had to scroll down when you wanted to read the game reviews.
Yeah, kinda tough to see all the necessary info now. My first thought:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_oL9eMWdcI
Post edited August 27, 2014 by bearshaman
ADz-1983: I mean it's not as if there is anywhere else to download them from. ....oh wait!
I've held off on some titles sold elsewhere, some of them DRM-free, thinking that they would make their way here. It's not going to happen, though, at least not anytime soon. I won't be holding off anymore, and I don't buy games twice.
Are there any games being removed that are not in the promo? Is Amnesia A Machine for Pigs being removed too?