It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

[url=http://www.mcvuk.com/news/43228/MCV-AWARDS-2011-People-Industry" target="blank][/url]Guess what? You’ll never guess what we got nominated for! Well, unless you read the headline, that is. If you didn’t read the headline—or even if you did—we wanted to let you know that we’re finalists in the MCV awards in the Digital Distribuion Team category!

For those who would not know, MCV is a major British trade magazine (and website too!) which is read every week by numerous key players of the gaming market all across the Europe. Their awards are a good occasion for GOG to get recognized by the gaming industry and bring you guys more good old games in the future :)

So a big shout out to you all, our community, who have made GOG the best place for gamers to rediscover classic games of all types. Thanks so much for being awesome.

Go check out [url=http://www.mcvuk.com/news/43228/MCV-AWARDS-2011-People-Industry" target="blank]MCV’s announcement here[/url] and thanks again for helping make GOG great!

Edited to correct the subject line
Post edited February 26, 2011 by TheEnigmaticT
Navagon: No Gamersgate? Well then it's an easy victory for GOG then. Unless society decides once more to remind us how insane it is.
Nope, but there's Green Man Gaming and one company (TripleACodes) that I've never even heard of before. Boggles the mind, doesn't it.
Post edited February 25, 2011 by lowyhong
Ubivis: Well deserved :)
Agreed, well deserved!
Navagon: No Gamersgate? Well then it's an easy victory for GOG then. Unless society decides once more to remind us how insane it is.
lowyhong: Nope, but there's Green Man Gaming and one company (TripleACodes) that I've never even heard of before. Boggles the mind, doesn't it.
Greenman Gaming isn't bad. It doesn't have the selection of Steam or GoG but the one time I had a problem the customer service was quick and efficient. A game didn't show up on my list so I messaged Customer Service. It was then there the next day and I got a -50% voucher for the trouble. They offer trade ins for games which can work out well if they have a good sale as they can become worth more to trade in than you've paid. At the very least a game is usually worth 50% of what you've paid if you want to trade it in which is 100% more than steam will give you.
lowyhong: Nope, but there's Green Man Gaming and one company (TripleACodes) that I've never even heard of before. Boggles the mind, doesn't it.
Aside from trading in games, Greenman Gaming is absolutely terrible, and I've never heard of TripleACodes. I'm left wondering if GOG should be taking this so seriously. With competition like that, I can only think it's about as significant an achievement as winning a Nobel Peace Prize seems to be these days.
I'd like to know just how thorough their research was. Did they get feedback about every DD including Strategy First? *shudder* Or did they pretty much just pull this out of their arse? The total lack of Gamersgate but inclusion of GMG suggests to me the latter might prove to be the case.

That's not to say that GOG can't go on to win it on its own merits, mind.
Congrats to GoG for being nominated, I think you are head and shoulders above the other nominees but... I've never heard of MCV.

Is MCV a big deal or are we just making a fuss because GoG is mentioned? (genuinely looking for an answer here)
I can only assume GamersGate have won it in a previous year. Green Man Gaming have excellent customer service in my experience. As for that Tripple A Codes thing they are an Eastern European key seller for online MMO's. I have no idea what they are doing even being nominated.
my most honest congratulations for the nomination!!!

this is very well deserved, as a light in the dark for the consumer friendly game-service.

:D

PS: I never used the downloader because I get 3MB/s over http.
Post edited February 25, 2011 by dyscode
Cook: Thanks for your feedback. Just want to clarify some things.

Did you have any problems with getting a reply from our support? I know in some cases they are struggling because there are a lot of requests and some technical issues with games can take time.
As for the downloader, it's still in the "beta" stage, and yes we're aware it doesn't work as we'd like to.
I don't know about anyone else, but I've sent multiple messages into support and not had replies, some as long ago as november.

Also, is the downloader in active development? Because it's been this beta version for an awfully long time.
Cook: Did you have any problems with getting a reply from our support? I know in some cases they are struggling because there are a lot of requests and some technical issues with games can take time.
I have to chime in here, as I can relate to what OmegaX wrote. I'm a new user and my only experience with the customer support so far has been short and negative, contact non-existent. I had a technical issue with two purchased games that didn't allow me to run them at all, so I reported it to the support service asking for help and I never got a reply.

Luckily, the GOG community made up for the lacking customer service, as I posted my problem on the self-help forums, too, and with the help of community members I finally managed to work out the solution myself. I even thought about writing to the customer service telling them the problem was solved but I didn't think anyone would care and I feared for that message to even cause more work for the beleaguered GOG team.

I can imagine it's difficult to immediately provide solutions for each and every problem that arises on customers' computers but it still would be nice to get some kind of feedback, even if it's just an automated reply saying "Your problem was noted and we'll soon get back to you about it. In the meantime, why don't you use our self-help forums and see if anyone else can already help you out." That wouldn't be ideal but better than nothing at all.

That being said, good luck with the award, GOG definitely is a fine Digital Distribution Team and it has great potential to become the best ever. :)
Post edited February 25, 2011 by Leroux
The fact that Steam isn't on this list is a bit odd considering Steam is one of the best digital distribution platforms available, but I haven't looked too much into their criteria.
celestial_okami: The fact that Steam isn't on this list is a bit odd considering Steam is one of the best digital distribution platforms available, but I haven't looked too much into their criteria.
I'd watch out who you say that too. There are fanboys on here who'd rip you to shreds for saying that.
Cook: Thanks for your feedback. Just want to clarify some things.

Did you have any problems with getting a reply from our support? I know in some cases they are struggling because there are a lot of requests and some technical issues with games can take time.
As for the downloader, it's still in the "beta" stage, and yes we're aware it doesn't work as we'd like to. And as far as I know the forum works fine - I mean you can post and read other users posts, right :)

We know it's still a long way ahead to become the perfect digital distribution platform and I can assure you we're working every day to finally achieve this goal :)
I never received a response to a support question I had with video issue on a game. I eventually figured out a fix on my own and posted it in the forums.

One thing that could drastically improve support, maybe even lighten the GOG support teams load a little, is to improve/highlight the forums more. Some of the best support I received on games came from other users, not GOG. Maybe upgrade/improve this section of the site, add some super moderators, and check-in form time to time.
Post edited February 25, 2011 by cp96alumni
Cook: Did you have any problems with getting a reply from our support?
Not trying to hijack the post, but personally I've been waiting for a reply from you guys for a week and a few days now. :)

Back on subject, grats on the nomination, but seriously, that list is pretty much one big "meh", considering the exclusion of Steam and GamersGate (the biggest two players in the DD). Hey, I'll say excluding Battle.Net seems to be a bad thing too, since it pretty much has nearly two dozen million users or so.
GOG Rocks! Its the best place to buy great old and awesome games for low prices! GOG FTW!!!!