It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
Like fangbite wrote in my other thread, I think it is good, if we could make a list, what game from GOG works good/ not so good with Ubuntu/Linux and Wine.
I will edit this post with alle tested games. :)
I take the start:
Games with Wine tested:
Descent 3
bagnaj97: it works perfectly if you take note of the following:
1. You must use the opengl renderer. After some fiddling I got direct3d working but it was slow.
2. I found oss sound to be better than alsa, but YMMV (change using winecfg)
3. Compiz must be disabled before playing. This is very important as direct3d wouldn't display anything except the hud and opengl had severe scaling issues (only top right of display shown over the whole screen). You can run the command "metacity --replace" to temporarily disable compiz, log out and in again to get compiz back.
This actually worked better for me than under vista x64 as under vista I couldn't get mouse control working.

Fallout
No Problems with the installation, starting the game also worked without any problems.
Fallout 2
No Problems with the installation, starting the game also worked without any problems.
Freespace
jsims2359: Freespace 1 runs on Ubuntu 8.04 with wine 1.1.4, but the sound cuts out and exiting the game will force you to kill the X server with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace. Be advised.
UPDATE: The mouse is usable as a flight control, but just barely. There seems to be some disparity between the resolution of the game window and the resolution the mouse thinks is in effect. The effect is also noticeable in the hanger if you move your mouse pointer to the far right. You start to see some delay on both axises.

Giants: CItizen Kabuto
jmgreen7: Giants installed and started fine but the performance really tanked whenever the camera was facing a building/structure (like 5-10 FPS). Then I installed the GiantsHooks patch and the performance is now great. I haven't tested multiplayer.

Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising
jsims2359: is running as it should on Ubuntu 8.04 with wine 1.1.4.
NOTE: You must emulate a virtual desktop in order for Direct X to be detected correctly which allows you launch the game. Also, the sensitivity of the x axis while using mouse control (with the helicopters) seems to fluctuate randomly from near perfect control to frustratingly unresponsive. Mouse works fine everywhere else.

Kingpin
danebramage: installs and runs fine (there's no cursor on the main menu screen, but since it can be navigated with the arrow keys, that's no big deal).

M.A.X.
danebramage: installs and runs fine (since it runs in DOSBox, it works best in a window where the top of the screen isn't cut off by the DOSBox window's title bar--hit Alt-Enter to go into windowed mode).

M.A.X. 2
danebramage: installs fine but wouldn't run for me the one time I tried. No big loss, as M.A.X. 2 sux and it comes bundled free with the original M.A.X.

MDK 1
Dash: works great under WINE, all except for the video. It's not bad though. It stretched the video out to the point where some of the game was off screen in the Y directions. A change of options to the display of games in a window fixed it.

Original War
FALK: Original War is somewhat playable, but with bad graphics in hud, wouldn't recommend it. Unable to run in VirtualBox because it cant detect the graphics card memory correctly. Maybe it works in vmware.

Perimeter
fangbite: Perimeter installed and ran fine. The only thing which might be considered a glitch is that the game just took over a piece of my desktop in the top left corner, carving out a number of pixels according to its resolution.
FALK: Runs great in wine 1.1.4 except the cursor is invisible, can be fixed by building and using wine-hacks: http://repo.or.cz/w/wine/hacks.git . I hope the patch enters mainline soon, but the bug has been known for almost a year.

Sacrifice
jmgreen7: Sacrifice installed and ran without a hitch and runs great. I haven't tested multiplayer.

Stonekeep
chris20636: In Fedora 8, the game would play fine for a 15-30 minutes and then the sound would go to a loud hiss. Some google searches seems to pinpoint the problem to the new X windows sound server in Fedora 8 and up called pulseaudio. I removed the pulseaudio packages from my system using yum. I rebooted and after playing with the volume control some, I got sound back which should be pure ALSA system. So far, that seems to have fixed the sound problem.
I didn't notice the mouse issue some have had under XP. However, I did notice it under Linux. The fix was the same though. Just don't use the mouse and hit ESC to get past the movie to the main menu. Then using the mouse at the menu and in the game works fine.
Post edited October 25, 2008 by Destro
XIII works perfectly (finally!) with Wine 1.6
http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=30194
FTL works ok with wine, except the installer for the latest patch:(
Expeditions: Conquistador

Works well on wine 1.7.6.
Slackware64 14.1 with multilib.
Post edited March 18, 2014 by simon_vd
Banished - http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=29911
Overlord - http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=28070

Both work great.

note: start installer with /nogui flag to avoid crash at the very end (it's not fatal as game/s work but still).
Post edited March 18, 2014 by simon_vd
I used a PlayOnLinux-script to install Hotline Miami. I didn't experience any problems while playing it and completed the game. According to the script it uses Wine 1.7.17 to install/run the game.

Also the latest version of Unepic (2.4.0.9) works with wine 1.7.17. I was surprised because I tried it a couple of days ago with the old version of Unepic and back then it always crashed when I tried to start the game. So far I didn't experience any Problems while playing.
Post edited July 11, 2014 by lufu
Rogue Trooper works flawlessly and without crashes in Wine (1.7.21, without Playonlinux). I've completely played through the game without one single glitch.

Commandos 1+2 also works, but you might have to change some settings (e.g. for audio). But I can't remember what I did.

So, heres my updated list!

With wine:
Another World
Deus Ex
Demonstone
Dungeon Keeper 2
Fallout
Far Cry
Nexus: The Jupiter Incident (Can't host Multiplayer server!)
Oddworld: Strangers Wrath
Omikron: The Nomad Soul
POD Gold (No Network play)
Rayman 3
Redline
Rogue Trooper
Rune
Temple Of Elemental Evil
XIII (Canyon level is black, -> Bug has been fixed, now works)
Commandos 1+2 (some fideling might be required!)

Native:
Arx Fatalis (Arx Libertatis)
Neverwinter Nights
Freespace 2 (Open Source Project)
Baldurs Gate 1&2 (GemRB)
Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition (eduke engine)

DOSbox/ScummVM
Beneath A Steel Sky
Ishar Compiliation
Masters of Orion 1+2
Rayman Forever
Realms Of Arcania 1+2
Ultima 4
Post edited July 30, 2014 by Verdan
I was able to install Ultima Underworld 1 and 2 with WINE, and played UW1 for a couple of minutes before hitting 'alt' which de-maximised Dosbox (running under WINE) and seemed to hang it.

Then I installed a native build of Dosbox ("sudo apt-get install dosbox" worked fine in Ubuntu 14.04) and was able to run UW1 like so:

cd ~/".wine/drive_c/GOG Games/Ultima Underworld 1 and 2/Ultima Underworld 1"
cat dosboxULTIMA1_single.conf | tr '\\' '/' > ubuntu_uw1_s.conf
dosbox -conf dosboxULTIMA1.conf -conf ubuntu_uw1_s.conf

Note that the cat/tr command only needs to be run the first time -- it just switches the DOS/Windows path separators to Unix-style forward slashes.

Only notable issue so far is that the mouse moves way too fast and in-game speed is a bit excessive too. Might need some kind of throttle to get this under control -- maybe there's an option in Dosbox to do so?
Post edited July 13, 2014 by Freyi
Freyi: Only notable issue so far is that the mouse moves way too fast and in-game speed is a bit excessive too. Might need some kind of throttle to get this under control -- maybe there's an option in Dosbox to do so?
Take a look at "cycles" option in dosbox.conf: [url=http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Configuration:CPU]http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Configuration:CPU[/url]. That should work. :)

About GOG games...

WINE:
8th Wonder of the World
Age of Wonders II
Baldur's Gate (also tested with gemrb, but doesn't work atm - crashes & visual defects)
Baldur's Gate II (also tested with gemrb, but doesn't work atm - crashes & visual defects)
Beyond Good and Evil (sound problems but otherwise runs really great)
Deponia
Deus Ex
Deus Ex: Invisible War
Far Cry 2
Hitman: CN47
Hitman 2
La Mulana
Memoria
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
Oddworld: Abe's Exodus
Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath
Painkiller
Papers please
Stronghold HD
Super Hexagon
System Shock 2
Witcher EE (slow with propriatry ATI drivers, but works)
Witcher 2 (slow with propriatry ATI drivers, but works)

Dosbox:
Rayman Origins (no CD sound/music by default, but it can easily be fixed by editing dosbox.conf)
Duke 1 & 2

Scummvm:
Beneath a Steel Sky
Post edited July 14, 2014 by astropup
Some new tests:

Omikron: The Nomad Soul
Redline
Rune

All work flawlessly with wine 1.7.23
There are several AUR packages for Archlinux available, I just added one for Shadowrun: Dragonfall and one for Sir, You are Being Hunted. I'd be happy to hear any test results!
Post edited September 23, 2014 by Verdan