It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

j0ekerr: Also how long did it take MS from saying "Kinect is an integral part of the Xbox One without which it cannot be complete" to releasing a kinect-free console?
I didn't really have Big Brother-style concerns over that peripheral, I just thought it was gimmicky. Glad to see they've wised up about requiring you to have one, at least.

Still not buying one, though. I'm over console gaming. It was cool when stuff like Katamari Damacy and BioShock were coming out, but now all the big titles leave me cold.

toxicTom: Hey, maybe Steam gets big enough to be "too big to fail". If there would be social unrest because people are cut off their games, state would step in and save them ;-). Panem et circenses.
They'd have to get bought by one of the telecomms here first to get that much power. You know, the same folks who are using their pet politicians to kill net neutrality. "For the good of the consumer", of course.
IAmSinistar: Actually, it is inevitable, just the date thereof is not known. Every company eventually goes under. Maybe next week, maybe in five decades. Perhaps by the time they do you're no longer using them anyway, in which case you're not out much. But it will happen.

Again, the case of JManga should be sobering to people who think any of these schemes is infallible. While a business is successful it is easy to believe it always will be. Just ask AOL, MySpace, Lycos, ...
From a practical point of view, it's safe to assume that Steam is not going anywhere. I might be worried about where it will be in 15 years time but not tomorrow. And that's not a problem now.

True, it might be suddenly bought out by a huge evil corporate giant but a truck can run me over tomorrow as well.

IAmSinistar: They definitely want all content to be on-demand, streaming, and pay-per-use. Why sell you a DVD for $20 that you can watch as much as you want, when they can charge you $2 a view? Same with your books, your music, etc. Plus they can finally put unskippable commercials back in, defeating the DVRs (at least for a while). AND they can track your usage, giving them valuable marketing data.

Governments only wish they had this kind of control and surveillance.
It's not exactly a new attitude is it? Remember what the movie studios did when the first VCRs came about?

And now that anyone can replicate and distribute content at no cost. So of course they're terrified, and with good reason, look at what's happening to the record companies.

That is a good thing.

So to them, limiting how those bloody rubes can get their hands on their revenue producing properties is essential or they might have to gasp; give up on their third yacht.
Post edited June 25, 2014 by j0ekerr
j0ekerr: From a practical point of view, it's safe to assume that Steam is not going anywhere. I might be worried about where it will be in 15 years time but not tomorrow. And that's not a problem now.
Markets change quicker than you might think. Looks how rapidly Google ascended to primacy, and also how quickly MySpace went from The Place to Disgrace. One change in technology, or how people use it, can alter the whole marketplace. But like I said, to each their own. If you don't care that your game collection can evaporate at some unknown future date, that's fine for you. Not for me, though.

j0ekerr: So to them, limiting how those bloody rubes can get their hands on their revenue producing properties is essential or they might have to gasp; give up on their third yacht.
While I do want good content creators to continue to thrive, they really have made themselves enemies of the public with their unfettered greed. They constantly introduce new changes that are for their own benefit rather than the consumer, to the point where they are pushing people towards piracy not because it's free, but because the pirates are often providing the superior product (such as DVDs with all the unskippable fluff pulled out, or ebooks that you can read on any device).

The big companies lost my goodwill when they started this perpetual copyright extension battle here in the US. We had good, healthy laws about how long something could stay in copyright before entering the public domain. But once it became clear that Mickey Mouse and Superman were about to go public, out came the lawyers and down went the public good.
Post edited June 25, 2014 by IAmSinistar
Am I crazy or are the games repeating of what they JUST did?
IAmSinistar: While I do want good content creators to continue to thrive, they really have made themselves enemies of the public with their unfettered greed. They constantly introduce new changes that are for their own benefit rather than the consumer, to the point where they are pushing people towards piracy not because it's free, but because the pirates are often providing the superior product (such as DVDs with all the unskippable fluff pulled out, or ebooks that you can read on any device).

The big companies lost my goodwill when they started this perpetual copyright extension battle here in the US. We had good, healthy laws about how long something could stay in copyright before entering the public domain. But once it became clear that Mickey Mouse and Superman were about to go public, out came the lawyers and down went the public good.
While your argument mirrors mine, there is one word that I disagree strongly with. Change content creators with distributors and we're golden. Creators are passionate and in most cases, generous about their work, it's the distributors who are dictionary definitions of greed. Again the best example of this is the music companies. Very few artist see more than mere pennies from record sales.

Even in videogames studios are good and publishers are evil. Starting with EA which I will forever hate for forcing the release of an unfinished mass effect 3 in order to meet a fiscal quarter profit expectation report.

How many of us patched starcraft to stop it asking to put the bloody CD in the drive?
Post edited June 25, 2014 by j0ekerr
j0ekerr: While your argument mirrors mine, there is one word that I disagree strongly with. Change content creators with distributors and we're golden. Creators are passionate and in most cases, generous about their work, it's the distributors who are dictionary definitions of greed. Again the best example of this is the music companies. Very few artist see more than mere pennies from record sales.
Excellent point, and indeed this was the intent of my words, though my phrasing was poor. I almost made the exact same point about musicians in my post as well, before I edited it to the final form. But yes, as you point out, it is the creators who are the engine of great content, and the distributors who are the conveyance of it. The best of the distributors nurture their creators and are fair to their customers, while the worst are both parasitical and a hindrance to all.
DiscipleJF: Does anyone know how much Legacy of Kain will go for when it's up?
It will be $5.96 and will be coming up on Saturday, the 28th.
Neverfree: Am I crazy or are the games repeating of what they JUST did?
Well capsized is there again, so it implies you are still sane but it's best if we make sure, no?

Now sit on the couch and tell me about your mother.
DiscipleJF: Does anyone know how much Legacy of Kain will go for when it's up?
Tekkaman-James: It will be $5.96 and will be coming up on Saturday, the 28th.
Cheers for the info. :)
Is there any chance on even better discount on Braveland? And yes I know, I'm cheap bastard:)
Just got back from the doc and look at this conversation! It is one I try to avoid most of the time because I go off the deep end really fast. Anyway, glad that Banished hasn't shown yet! Still waiting for that one game to make an appearance, if it will!

I put it this way, Welcome to the age of GREED!
Post edited June 25, 2014 by txnca
darkwind23: Is there any chance on even better discount on Braveland? And yes I know, I'm cheap bastard:)
No. It's not expected to appear on Flash sales or daily bundles.
Ok, thanks.
j0ekerr: It's on the the main arguments of the tin foil hat conspiracy theorists.

To be fair on some cases it is a valid argument. In steam's case, not so much.
IAmSinistar: Actually, it is inevitable, just the date thereof is not known. Every company eventually goes under. Maybe next week, maybe in five decades. Perhaps by the time they do you're no longer using them anyway, in which case you're not out much. But it will happen.

Again, the case of JManga should be sobering to people who think any of these schemes is infallible. While a business is successful it is easy to believe it always will be. Just ask AOL, MySpace, Lycos, ...
Everything is inevitable in some way, shape or form, but nothing is guaranteed except for death and taxes. This really is the point that many Steam users try to get across. It's not that Steam users are stupid or ignorant. They understand what Steam is and represents. When you buy from Steam, you are in many way buying conveinence and there is a huge value in that to the consumer (see itunes as a prime example of this). What matters is what's happening today, tomorrow and maybe a year from now. Not what 'might' happen 15 years from now. Like I said, some people just want to play Skyrim, or Oblivion, or Morrowind or almost any other game that has been bought on the Steam service since it has came into existence. And as of now, 6/25/14, they can still do that with Steam. They still access any game that they bought today, yesterday, a year ago or when Steam first launched.
Speaking of the ephemeral nature of some forms of software, there is nothing as doomed as console games.

I should know, a year or two from now, when my 360 breaks down for good, all my games will be just worthless plastic.

And that's even more terrible than stealing 40 cakes.