It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

j0ekerr: Don't even try to. EA is the one thing we can all agree to hate on.

HATE!
blotunga: I don't hate them, but I try to avoid them. I loved DA: O for example and bought it because they made an Ultimate Edition with all DLCs. However I won't buy any of their later games because of the DLC crap. I also refuse to buy games which need me to stay online. Thus I avoid Ubisoft also... And Rockstar games because of Rockstar Social crap...
I was mostly impartial to them despite the ton of sport shovelware they dish out every single year which I despise and that everybody ravenously consumes no matter what the actual game quality may be.

Even origin left me relatively cold, despite the horrible reviews when it launched, at most it made me chuckle so. Dragon Age 2 I found mildly annoying at best.

But then Mass Effect 3 happened.

Now they have earned my eternal wrath!

PS: Also, the employee mistreatment controversy.
Post edited June 25, 2014 by j0ekerr
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Part 50
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Flash Deals #451 (Ends Wed, 25 Jun 2014 18:24:00 UTC)

Sang-Froid: Tales of Werewolves $1.49 ($14.99) [90% OFF]
Assassin's Creed: Director's Cut $4.99 ($19.99) [75% OFF]

Flash Deals #452 (Ends Wed, 25 Jun 2014 19:00:00 UTC)

Stick it to the Man! $3.74 ($14.99) [75% OFF]
Scratches Director's Cut $1.99 ($9.99) [80% OFF]

Flash Deals #453 (Ends Wed, 25 Jun 2014 19:36:00 UTC)

Long Live the Queen $3.39 ($9.99) [66% OFF]
Trine 2: Complete Story $1.99 ($19.99) [90% OFF]

Flash Deals #454 (Ends Wed, 25 Jun 2014 20:12:00 UTC)

Jade Empire: Special Edition $2.99 ($14.99) [80% OFF]
Shadowrun Returns $4.99 ($14.99) [66% OFF]

Flash Deals #455 (Ends Wed, 25 Jun 2014 20:48:00 UTC)

Smugglers V $2.99 ($9.99) [70% OFF]
Pathologic $1.99 ($9.99) [80% OFF]

Flash Deals #456 (Ends Wed, 25 Jun 2014 21:24:00 UTC)

Capsized $1.99 ($9.99) [80% OFF]
Edna & Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes $2.99 ($19.99) [85% OFF]

Flash Deals #457 (Ends Wed, 25 Jun 2014 22:00:00 UTC)

Teslagrad $3.39 ($9.99) [66% OFF]
I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream $1.19 ($5.99) [80% OFF]

Flash Deals #458 (Ends Wed, 25 Jun 2014 22:36:00 UTC)

La Mulana $2.99 ($14.99) [80% OFF]
Age of Wonders 3 - Deluxe Edition [Premium] $29.99 ($44.99) [33% OFF]

Flash Deals #459 (Ends Wed, 25 Jun 2014 23:12:00 UTC)

Master of Orion 3 $2.49 ($9.99) [75% OFF]
InFlux $1.99 ($9.99) [80% OFF]

Flash Deals #460 (Ends Wed, 25 Jun 2014 23:48:00 UTC)

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault War Chest $2.49 ($9.99) [75% OFF]
Machinarium: Collector's Edition $1.99 ($9.99) [80% OFF]
Post edited June 26, 2014 by IAmSinistar
IAmSinistar: I concur, though I am even more absolute in my stance. I can understand the relative convenience of some of the DRM'd services, and the fact that there are games only available that way. For myself I am just unwilling to support the "rent instead of own" model that is becoming more and more prevalent with digital media. I only buy DRM-free ebooks (or ones that are easily made so), music, and games, and am lucky that sufficient marketplaces for these exist to meet my wants. I don't know how long that will continue though, as content producers by and large clearly want to control consumption as minutely as they can.
And they push hard into the direction of turning off-line content into (online) services.

Completely agree with you (of course you already know it).

blotunga: Unfortunately it's hard. I try to avoid steam and other services as much as possible, but some games are not available DRM-Free. Other times I've bough games in bundles and because of the low price I could overlook the need for steam.
That being said I think my all-time game spendings are about 70% GOG, 20% bundles and 10% games bought on other services.

[...]
Digital content that doesn't come DRM-free is non-existent content. You need to work on your self-control. ;-)
HypersomniacLive: And they push hard into the direction of turning off-line content into (online) services.
Digital content that doesn't come DRM-free is non-existent content. You need to work on your self-control. ;-)
Which reminds me that today I've heard about PS Now... Take that console gamers, you can now rent games for a limited time for more money than it costs to "buy" it on PC.
As for self-control.. I do have that, but still there are a few games that I really wanted to play. DRM or not... like the Civilization games... As I said, I have a threshold of DRM that I can bare to take if I must. But if I have the option I do prefer the alternative.
Post edited June 25, 2014 by blotunga
IAmSinistar: I concur, though I am even more absolute in my stance. I can understand the relative convenience of some of the DRM'd services, and the fact that there are games only available that way. For myself I am just unwilling to support the "rent instead of own" model that is becoming more and more prevalent with digital media. I only buy DRM-free ebooks (or ones that are easily made so), music, and games, and am lucky that sufficient marketplaces for these exist to meet my wants. I don't know how long that will continue though, as content producers by and large clearly want to control consumption as minutely as they can.
HypersomniacLive: And they push hard into the direction of turning off-line content into (online) services.

blotunga: Unfortunately it's hard. I try to avoid steam and other services as much as possible, but some games are not available DRM-Free. Other times I've bough games in bundles and because of the low price I could overlook the need for steam.
That being said I think my all-time game spendings are about 70% GOG, 20% bundles and 10% games bought on other services.

[...]
HypersomniacLive: Digital content that doesn't come DRM-free is non-existent content. You need to work on your self-control. ;-)
Humans in general do not know how to exercise self control. It's like everyone says kale is good for you, but most people don't choose kale for lunch, they choose the hamburger.

The point being, some people (many people actually) just want to play Skyrim.
synfresh: The point being, some people (many people actually) just want to play Skyrim.
Heheh, I did buy Skyrim last week. I had some GMG credit saved up for it :D
They definitely want all content to be on-demand, streaming, and pay-per-use. Why sell you a DVD for $20 that you can watch as much as you want, when they can charge you $2 a view? Same with your books, your music, etc. Plus they can finally put unskippable commercials back in, defeating the DVRs (at least for a while). AND they can track your usage, giving them valuable marketing data.

Governments only wish they had this kind of control and surveillance.
synfresh: I don't get the 'enjoy it quickly or it's gone argument' because again it assumes something that may or may not happen. It's no more an absolute that you will lose your access to Steam games then it is that you won't. Games that I own on Steam that I bought circa 2005 still exist in my library. I certainly didn't make sure I 'enjoyed them quickly' or was worried in any way that whey were going away (which they have not).
It's on the the main arguments of the tin foil hat conspiracy theorists.

To be fair on some cases it is a valid argument. In steam's case, not so much.
Does anyone know how much Legacy of Kain will go for when it's up?
synfresh: I don't get the 'enjoy it quickly or it's gone argument' because again it assumes something that may or may not happen. It's no more an absolute that you will lose your access to Steam games then it is that you won't. Games that I own on Steam that I bought circa 2005 still exist in my library. I certainly didn't make sure I 'enjoyed them quickly' or was worried in any way that whey were going away (which they have not).
j0ekerr: It's on the the main arguments of the tin foil hat conspiracy theorists.

To be fair on some cases it is a valid argument. In steam's case, not so much.
Actually, it is inevitable, just the date thereof is not known. Every company eventually goes under. Maybe next week, maybe in five decades. Perhaps by the time they do you're no longer using them anyway, in which case you're not out much. But it will happen.

Again, the case of JManga should be sobering to people who think any of these schemes is infallible. While a business is successful it is easy to believe it always will be. Just ask AOL, MySpace, Lycos, ...
IAmSinistar: They definitely want all content to be on-demand, streaming, and pay-per-use. Why sell you a DVD for $20 that you can watch as much as you want, when they can charge you $2 a view? Same with your books, your music, etc. Plus they can finally put unskippable commercials back in, defeating the DVRs (at least for a while). AND they can track your usage, giving them valuable marketing data.

Don't forget region locks: We only get the no-blood version, you the no-boobs version. At least as long as we all aren't "premium".

And regional pricing. I'm waiting for the day when streaming a movie in Munich is twice as expensive as watching the same movie in some rural village in East Germany.

And if it's not streaming and PPV: Misbehave in any way and your library is gone. Imagine your refridgerator gone when you just complained in your supermarket about the vegetable quality.
IAmSinistar: They definitely want all content to be on-demand, streaming, and pay-per-use. Why sell you a DVD for $20 that you can watch as much as you want, when they can charge you $2 a view? Same with your books, your music, etc. Plus they can finally put unskippable commercials back in, defeating the DVRs (at least for a while). AND they can track your usage, giving them valuable marketing data.

I happen to agree, remember the xbox one rumored control mechanisms? One of the undisclosed ones was a testicle electrocuting device.

Also how long did it take MS from saying "Kinect is an integral part of the Xbox One without which it cannot be complete" to releasing a kinect-free console?
Post edited June 25, 2014 by j0ekerr
IAmSinistar: Actually, it is inevitable, just the date thereof is not known. Every company eventually goes under.
Hey, maybe Steam gets big enough to be "too big to fail". If there would be social unrest because people are cut off their games, state would step in and save them ;-). Panem et circenses.
j0ekerr: Also how long did it take MS from saying "Kinect is an integral part of the Xbox One without which it cannot be complete" to releasing a kinect-free console?
I think it was less time than when they agreed to split IE as an integral part of Windows; and we did not need the EU courts on this one. :)
synfresh: [...]

The point being, some people (many people actually) just want to play Skyrim.
I also do, but on my terms. ;-)

blotunga: [...]

As for self-control.. I do have that, but still there are a few games that I really wanted to play. DRM or not... like the Civilization games... As I said, I have a threshold of DRM that I can bare to take if I must. But if I have the option I do prefer the alternative.
That's probably the big difference between us. I have zero tolerance, no place for "if I must" in my equation, no content is worth giving up control and being counted as accepting and embracing such business models and practices.

How very true, sadly. :(