It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Torchlight FREE for the next 48 hours, 500+ Games 50% off until July 5, Daily Deals up to 85% off!

The sun is shining, the weather is sweet, let's begin GOG's amazing humongous [url=http://gog.com/NoDRMSummer]2013 #NoDRM Summer Sale. Most of the games in our DRM-free catalog (that's 500+ titles!) are available half-price until July the 5th. You can also expect special Daily Deals, allowing you to grab bundles of games (or in some cases individual titles) up to 85% off! To add a cherry on top that huge, delicious summer gaming cake, for the next 48 hours we're giving away Torchlight, a fantastic hack-and-slash action-RPG, absolutely free to all GOG.com users! We have a lot of exciting deals in store for you, so remember to check our site frequently.

Normally, this paragraph would serve to further encourage you to go crazy with our extravagant and exciting offers. We'll get to that. But there's something important we'd like to address first. At GOG.com. we talk a lot about the importance of giving gamers the ability to play their games where they want, whenever they want, and how they want. Gamers should be able to play their games on any device they own in any location, no matter the Internet quality. There is only one way to ensure that: No DRM.

In the last few months, there has been a lot of outcry from gamers over DRM and how it is changing our favorite form of entertainment. If it keeps growing, it may well take a large part of the fun out of gaming. As anti-DRM crusaders, we're very glad to see that the issue of restrictive digital rights management has become an item of public debate, and we want to make sure that our #NoDRM stance is clear. None of the games in our sale have DRM, and none of our games ever will.

Once again: More than 500 games 50% off until July 5. Daily Deals bringing the discount even up to 85%. Torchlight distributed as a free gift to all GOG.com users until Thursday, June 20, at 12:59PM GMT. We'll throw exciting offers at you daily, so consider following us on [url=https://twitter.com/GOGcom]Twitter[/url], , and [url=http://j.mp/followGOGonYT]YouTube just to make sure you're not missing out. That's it! The 2013 #NoDRM Summer Sale is now on. Have fun and remember to support the #NoDRM movement on GOG.com and elsewhere!
assassin33: There was a glitch at the beginning of the sale that was making every game 50% off no matter what.
grviper: Did gog hire someone from GG?
You mean like a saboteur? o_O
mistermumbles: Say, is it likely for us to see the Red Faction and Darksider games here now that you own the IPs? That'd be swell!
There is nothing to say on that topic for now. Anyways we love the way GOG.com is working and they are a well trusted and important partner for us :-)

tfishell: Please bring more good old games to GOG! :)
That fully depends on GOG ;-) Would you like to see Painkiller Overdose, The Guild 2 franchise, ArcaniA franchise and maybe Panzer Elite Action series on GOG?

Stay tuned and enjoy Summer Sale!
Post edited June 19, 2013 by ThomNG
Bloodygoodgames: Basically you have a choice I think -- GOG with no 'Owned' labels or No GOG at all :)
Or the dev team could not make little animated sharks and instead utilise their CDN and caching.. or make the "owned" tags appear on request.. or perhaps add a button to add all unowned games to a wishlist..

If the "automatic" requests for owned game information are hitting the server that hard, why not just make them "on request" to reduce the load? Or just get the server to skip fetching that information for people who own <100 games (easy to build this cache ahead of time!). Or even add a user flag for having this turned on, where you can quickly set it for people who own 100+ games and others can request it if they really need it.

Just turning it off is lazy (and not the good kind of lazy). Spending the development time doing useless fluff like the shark is pretty much a slap in the face.
Thank you GOG! Good to have someone in the games industry who's on our side (I'm looking at you Xbox-.-).
TheEnigmaticT: snip
tburger: It was asked before but I haven't seen answer. Is GOG going to give us new releases while promo lasts?
There will be some brand new titles launching (I'm looking at you, Magrunner), but, just like every other year, we have suspended releasing classics for the duration of the promo.
Bloodygoodgames: Basically you have a choice I think -- GOG with no 'Owned' labels or No GOG at all :)
xyem: Spending the development time doing useless fluff like the shark is pretty much a slap in the face.
You're a developer yourself, Xyem; you know that animating something as simple as that is about five minutes worth of work in .js. :P
Post edited June 19, 2013 by TheEnigmaticT
TheEnigmaticT: but, just like every other year, we have suspended releasing classics for the duration of the promo.
Oh..of course I remember that!
[Youth today - no respect for elders]

Thx. No reason to save money for instabuys :-P
xyem: Spending the development time doing useless fluff like the shark is pretty much a slap in the face.
TheEnigmaticT: You're a developer yourself, Xyem; you know that animating something as simple as that is about five minutes worth of work in .js. :P
With CSS transitions, you'd have done in 3 minutes ;)
mistermumbles: Say, is it likely for us to see the Red Faction and Darksider games here now that you own the IPs? That'd be swell!
ThomNG: There is nothing to say on that topic for now. Anyways we love the way GOG.com is working and they are a well trusted and important partner for us :-)

ThomNG: That fully depends on GOG ;-) Would you like to see Painkiller Overdose, The Guild 2 franchise, ArcaniA franchise and maybe Panzer Elite Action series on GOG?

Well, I'm sure many people will be interested in those. But me, I'm looking forward to the last Spellforce, Faith in destiny, and the THQ games that you can bring after the buyout is finished.

Cheers!
rodrolliv: Well, I'm sure many people will be interested in those. But me, I'm looking forward to the last Spellforce, Faith in destiny, and the THQ games that you can bring after the buyout is finished.

Cheers!
Faith in Destiny will not be possible as it is a full Steampowered game (and it needs Steam for Multiplayer as well) - so this game is not keeping the DRM free rule.
TheEnigmaticT: You're a developer yourself, Xyem; you know that animating something as simple as that is about five minutes worth of work in .js. :P
So what? That 5 minutes plus the time it took to make the owned tags conditional anyway could have been put into adding a column to the users table (i.e. gamesOwned), making the conditional around the owned class logic to check gamesOwned > 100 (and possibly isMassiveSaleRunning so it always outputs owned classes when there is no sale) and running a background job to set gamesOwned for all accounts (could even just do those that have been active in the last few months first).

Then in the future, you could make gamesOwned increment on purchases, perhaps display it on the site somewhere (like next to the "games available")... you could then spend 5 minutes work and use that to display something like the rep stars for games owned (preferably an option in the forum settings). e,g, Bronze medal = 10+, silver medal, 50+, gold medal, 100+.

The "Hide owned games" checkbox vanished during another big sale and didn't come back. What if the traffic doesn't die down enough to turn the owned tags back on? Will I miss discounts just because I have a large library and it is unfeasible for me to check every game? (we're talking nearly 100 minutes for an initial scan if it takes me 10 seconds per product!).

The devs knew the sale was coming and they've known the owned tags would bring the servers to their knees since what? December 2012 at the latest? Not implementing a solution which at least somewhat retains the ability to see what games you don't own is being massively unprepared both for this sale and every sale in the future.

How about I spend that ~2 hours buying the games I don't own and you use that money to pay a developer to implement my suggestion? They should be able to implement it in less than 13 hours..
xyem: The devs knew the sale was coming and they've known the owned tags would bring the servers to their knees since what? December 2012 at the latest? Not implementing a solution which at least somewhat retains the ability to see what games you don't own is being massively unprepared both for this sale and every sale in the future.
But... but that would be a service for active customers. Gog doesn't like active customers, they'd rather lure fresh blood in with giveaways. The list of individual game forums turns into an unreadable toilet roll once you go beyond 100; the list of threads you took part in stopped being reset ages ago, which means if you posted in a thread last year, posting in it now won't bump it up from position #206 in the list. And don't get me started on having to load the entire owned game library just for the sake of going to a different tab to check the wishlist. And remember the times when you could separate games on the shelf, instead of carefully arranging them in one big pile?
rodrolliv: Well, I'm sure many people will be interested in those. But me, I'm looking forward to the last Spellforce, Faith in destiny, and the THQ games that you can bring after the buyout is finished.

Cheers!
ThomNG: Faith in Destiny will not be possible as it is a full Steampowered game (and it needs Steam for Multiplayer as well) - so this game is not keeping the DRM free rule.
can't you just axe Multiplayer making it inaccessible and bring the single player part of the game here?
grviper: But... but that would be a service for active customers. Gog doesn't like active customers, they'd rather lure fresh blood in with giveaways. The list of individual game forums turns into an unreadable toilet roll once you go beyond 100; the list of threads you took part in stopped being reset ages ago, which means if you posted in a thread last year, posting in it now won't bump it up from position #206 in the list. And don't get me started on having to load the entire owned game library just for the sake of going to a different tab to check the wishlist. And remember the times when you could separate games on the shelf, instead of carefully arranging them in one big pile?
But as least we have a swimming shark for a couple of weeks! It only took a few minutes to implement too. Doesn't that make you feel better? :)

Also, I have never used the shelf. It is a massively inferior view and don't see the appeal of it at all. I'd prefer a tagging system that I can filter with (i.e. playing, completed, to_download, take_on_holiday, works_in_wine).
ThomNG: There is nothing to say on that topic for now. Anyways we love the way GOG.com is working and they are a well trusted and important partner for us :-)

ThomNG: That fully depends on GOG ;-) Would you like to see Painkiller Overdose, The Guild 2 franchise, ArcaniA franchise and maybe Panzer Elite Action series on GOG?

Please release the Darksiders games here on GOG, I want to see those the most here
GaminggUy45: can't you just axe Multiplayer making it inaccessible and bring the single player part of the game here?
No, we definitely do not want to shorten a game. Our customers should get the same game content when they are buying Faith in Destiny - independently from the platform. Also if shorten a game we cannot use same pricing, if not using same pricing, this may create confusion and so on. To sum it up, we will not shorten a game and limiting game experience of the customers for just excluding DRM/Steam.

Roman5: Please release the Darksiders games here on GOG, I want to see those the most here
Future will tell :)
Post edited June 19, 2013 by ThomNG