It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

SpellSword: Just curious:
If this apple program is scanning your hard drive and deleting music & sound files, could it not also damage files required to run a game by removing that game's soundtrack or sound effects?

If so... what was Apple thinking?!?!?! O_o
At this point, using iTunes is just stupid. iPods are pretty much dead (they haven't changed significantly designwise in a LOOONG time); and there are better alternatives for Music available, that happen to cost a lot less.

It only adds music from the library (afaik).
TStael: My pleasure of having kicked iTunes to the curb was great, but never was this an aggressive app as far as I experienced.
GrindinGeaGaymes: At this point, using iTunes is just stupid. iPods are pretty much dead (they haven't changed significantly designwise in a LOOONG time); and there are better alternatives for Music available, that happen to cost a lot less.

Apple Music =/= iTunes

Again, the story was about Apple Music, not iTunes. Apple Music is apparently fairly new (1-2 years?)
Lord_Kane: Their only good product ever was the Apple II/c/gs.
ncameron: Much as I also dislike Apple's behaviour, I can't agree with that sentence. Whatever you think of Apple the company, their products have generally been considered to be of very high quality.
Yeah, you gotta love those new bendable phones.
GrindinGeaGaymes: At this point, using iTunes is just stupid. iPods are pretty much dead (they haven't changed significantly designwise in a LOOONG time); and there are better alternatives for Music available, that happen to cost a lot less.

ncameron: Apple Music =/= iTunes

Again, the story was about Apple Music, not iTunes. Apple Music is apparently fairly new (1-2 years?)
I understand. Only I rejected iTunes on grounds HW snobbery four or so years ago.
TStael: He=you?
No.
Wishbone: snip
Indeed, partial denial only. I said some because I certaily noticed Apple was only dnying the worst of it. I actually object other things they are not denying, and you can be sure I noticed that lack of comment / implicit confirmation.

On your deeper point regarding the presence of DRM, I read those same lines and took it to mean access to download, as per his earlier points about it taking too long, and requiring being online. I did not take it to mean continued, ongoing access would be denied after downloading and after de-subscribing. I think this is supported by his mention of other users who remove the subscription before downloading and lose everything?

That said I agree it is vague. My bad, I went too far in saying it proves no DRM.
Going bak to the underlying point - that vagueness supports me I think. There is reasonable doubt how to interpret the OP link in regards to DRM. Ergo, it is not actually about DRM.

Now I said that :P I will shoot myself in the foot and link this ;)
Apple Music not deleting your tracks
On one hand the the Apple denials have become a bit stronger. On the other, this describes you as being right about the presence of DRM, regardless of whateever the original link author might have thought or known. And indeed, since he recovered his files via backup, we can't find out if he would have been royally pissed in 30 days, when his files would be locked.
So let me get this straight....

I give you my stuff for you to look after, only you reserve the right to not give it back even though I payed for it?

That's why I don't go for this cloud bullshit.

Reason 151 that DRM encourages piracy.
Brasas: Now I said that :P I will shoot myself in the foot and link this ;)
Thanks for that. It's good to know that, whether or not it's actually happening, automatically deleting files isn't the intended behaviour.
Brasas: Indeed, partial denial only. I said some because I certaily noticed Apple was only dnying the worst of it.
Yeah, but you just said that Apple was denying some of it, but not what it was they were denying, and that there was a new post, but you didn't link to it, so I thought I'd do both in the interest of keeping the information level of the discussion up ;-)
Brasas: Now I said that :P I will shoot myself in the foot and link this ;)
The article seems ok, but.. read also the comments.
Post edited May 10, 2016 by phaolo
phaolo: The article seems ok, but.. read also the comments.
I see
phaolo: The article seems ok, but.. read also the comments.
Barefoot_Monkey: I see
Yes, intended or not is important, and there is contradictory info. Now there are denials, but the support agent in the original story probably was not making it up right? Someone is either wrong, or lying inside Apple...

And then when it comes to whether or not the files got deleted due to user mistake, or some "bug" - again there is conflicting info. I mean, someone in the comments I read was implying an anti Apple conspiracy even... suffice to say, I don't expect cool analysis of the topic.

Wishbone: Yeah, but you just said that Apple was denying some of it, but not what it was they were denying, and that there was a new post, but you didn't link to it, so I thought I'd do both in the interest of keeping the information level of the discussion up ;-)
I was lazy. :) Sorry. In my defense I was pretty tired after posting in that thread...
Post edited May 10, 2016 by Brasas
Brasas: And then when it comes to whether or not the files got deleted due to user mistake, or some "bug" - again there is conflicting info. I mean, someone in the comments I read was implying an anti Apple conspiracy even... suffice to say, I don't expect cool analysis of the topic.
Either way it doesn't make me want to go and put my shit in the cloud. I buy multiple HDD's for a reason man.
Brasas: And then when it comes to whether or not the files got deleted due to user mistake, or some "bug" - again there is conflicting info. I mean, someone in the comments I read was implying an anti Apple conspiracy even... suffice to say, I don't expect cool analysis of the topic.
ScotchMonkey: Either way it doesn't make me want to go and put my shit in the cloud. I buy multiple HDD's for a reason man.
Yep. That's why my tech is frozen in time. I'm not afraid of technological advancement, but nearly everything now is super Orwellian nonsense with government snooping, third party data tracking, cloud based computation, and automated clickbait apps posted by international corporation who hire thousand of child slave servants to make us fat westerners new iPods to play around with.

Somewhere along the way we went off script and I'd like to talk to whoever is passing around the edited copies.
"scanned Apple’s database for what it considered matches, then removed the original files from my internal hard drive"

Matches of what? For what reason? I can't help but think this guy may've just had some dumb option left on (iTunes has plenty of them) and just didn't know what he was doing with his computer.

I've owned iPods since Gen 4 and iPhones since the 4S and, honestly, as much as I think all the iTunes programmers should be shuffled into a rocket and then promptly launched into the sun, I haven't had any problems even remotely like this. Even the problems I've had have usually been solved inside the night, if not the hour.
Post edited May 11, 2016 by Firebrand9