It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The anticipation for Baldur’s Gate 3 is through the roof, as in a just a week from now, on August 3rd, the game will leave early access and be available in its full glory on GOG!

And that excitement, with Larian Studios at the helm, is well-founded. We wholeheartedly believe that with their exceptional track record, commitment to player feedback, and unwavering pursuit of innovation, they will deliver an unforgettable RPG experience in Baldur’s Gate 3. Today, we want to delve deeper into those three main reasons why we think so.

Legacy of amazing RPGs

Larian Studios' Divinity: Original Sin series stands as a testament to the studio's ability to craft immersive and captivating RPGs. In these games, everyone who played them were immersed in rich, interactive worlds brimming with lore, intriguing characters, and impactful decisions. Larian's storytelling prowess, supported by compelling dialogue and narrative arcs, drew players into its virtual realms, making them feel like an integral part of the unfolding story.

The series also highlighted Larian Studios' dedication to offering players the freedom to shape their own destinies. The extensive branching paths, choices with significant consequences, and non-linear exploration were all hallmarks of the series. As they venture into the iconic world of Baldur's Gate, Larian Studios is well-positioned to deliver a captivating narrative that reacts organically to players' decisions, ensuring an incredible RPG experience that stays true to the franchise's legacy and sets a new standard for the genre.

Commitment to community’s feedback

Larian Studios' relationship with its player community has been exemplary. Throughout the development of their previous games, the studio actively sought and valued player feedback, consistently engaging with the community. This open dialogue allowed them to address concerns, gather invaluable insights, and fine-tune their games for maximum enjoyment.

The studio's receptiveness to player input and willingness to implement meaningful changes based on feedback is reassuring for those eagerly awaiting Baldur’s Gate 3. The community's voice likely played a pivotal role in shaping the final product, ensuring that it resonates with the expectations and desires of long-time Baldur's Gate fans while welcoming new players to the franchise.

Innovation and technical expertise

Innovation has been at the core of Larian Studios' approach to game development. The Divinity: Original Sin series introduced groundbreaking features that elevated the RPG genre. Cooperative multiplayer allowed players to enjoy the adventure with friends, promoting dynamic and unique playthroughs. Interactive environments encouraged experimentation, as players discovered creative solutions to challenges using the environment itself.

Larian's Divinity Engine 2 showcased the studio's technical prowess, enabling players to craft their own adventures and mods with ease. This commitment to empowering players with creative tools is likely to carry over to Baldur’s Gate 3, and with their new Divinity 4.0 engine we can only imagine how stunning the graphics and how great the gameplay mechanics will be.

Of course those three reasons are amongst many others that assure us we will spend hundreds of hours in Baldur’s Gate 3 and enjoy every single moment of it. Larian Studios' ability to deliver an exceptional RPG experience is overwhelming and their passion for craft makes them the perfect developer to continue the legacy of the legendary series.

The wait is almost over – mark your calendars for August 3rd!
Divinity Original Sin 3? There is indeed lot of similarities with Divinity Original Sin 2? Could be true but what really matters is not "how much of Larian Studios" is inside, what actually matters is "how much of Baldurs Gate" is inside; which kinda should be balanced. Certainly, for people enjoying it to have a game and series "as close to its roots as humanly possible" they may not be satisfied because Baldurs Gate 3 is clearly some sort of refresh trying to move into "another age". So, if you seem the innovative kind of people, you may enjoy it... and if you rather want to preserve the original feeling then it surely might be difficult to feel the love. Ultimately i want to see "both worlds", the one from Baldurs Gate and the one from Larian Studios. The roots of Baldurs Gate was pretty dark and kinda some unforgiving PC-experience; great on its own term but i enjoyed the console spinoff "Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance" more as it was simply more accessible, yet with a great atmosphere. Yet again, we got some sort of Baldurs Gate moving away from its roots but it does not define its quality, it simply will mean "it will be pretty different", which can be enjoyed or rather not. I just want bring it up that Baldurs Gate was not a game with a "clear path", it was aways a IP being "playful" in some way, trying to move into different directions too; so in this term Larian Studios certainly may give some new and interesting shape.
LoveEdition: Only problem is that I don't like to having to follow a storyline which is why I haven't played many games for years. If I ever manage to play I will be absolutely miserable about that. Oh, the things one would do for love... and all the very possible, excellent betrayals.
StingingVelvet: If you want a game with great CRPG mechanics where the story comes second and can mostly be skipped I think your best shot is the Pathfinder games.
Or Solasta. if you want something more like 5e. (The Pathfinder games are more like 3.5e.)

Or, if you are willing to look at an older game that isn't based off a TTRPG, there's Wizardry 8.
newcolours: I don't doubt that it's a good game in it's own right, but they took one of the best ever IPs and made it cartoony and added a lot of childish elements. It doesnt feel like BG3, it feels like DOS3
BG3 cartoony? it's obviously set in a fantasy setting, so the landscapes, racial features, etc are exaggerated to some degree, but the overall presentation is hardly cartoony, and just because something isn't super serious all the time doesn't mean it's childish
And even if it were, sometimes that could be intentional to juxtapose with a serious narrative and themes, just like Planescape Torment had a floating skull hitting on lady zombies
eric5h5: And yep, as mentioned BG3 already sold millions. Cry more.
To be fair, that only shows the love of people for the older BG games and their trust in Larian for their previous games rather than a "fact" that THIS game is objectively good. We simply can't assess that before the launch, obviously. My opinion is that after people have played it through it won't be regarded as the amazing game you seem to think it is, especially story-wise. But time will tell.

It could do you good to remember that CDPR also held that same level of trust and Cyberpunk also sold millions in preorders... the impact of which was much lessened when it saw massive refunds right after launch. It took a while to turn that turd into a game most people were satisfied with. While it was still commercially profitable it hurt both CDPR's and the IP's reputation a lot.
Post edited July 28, 2023 by joppo
StingingVelvet: If you want a game with great CRPG mechanics where the story comes second and can mostly be skipped I think your best shot is the Pathfinder games.
dtgreene: Or Solasta. if you want something more like 5e. (The Pathfinder games are more like 3.5e.)

Or, if you are willing to look at an older game that isn't based off a TTRPG, there's Wizardry 8.
I have gotten and then ignored the Icewind Dale games years ago so I might just go to play those for character creation reasons, and to look at that older D&D gameplay. I have been thinking of them after being super starved for a fantasy universe few months ago and starting to read a bunch of Forgotten Realms novels so D&D is not a completely alien world to me anymore.

I also have Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura, I can't remember why I bought that but it exists. I remember that I bought Icewind Dale games after reading that I can make my own group of characters in them.

And then I was never able to figure out what the heck was going on with the games at the time but since that time I have been staring at Pathfinder materials so they just might make a way more sense now. And they have good manuals to read which is lovely. :')
Post edited July 28, 2023 by LoveEdition
Clownski_: I would like to remind everyone that hateful comments, lack of tolerance, downright bigotry, and political discussions are not accepted on our Forum.
@medievalserf, @Lecutter, @GogWarrior71, @hellseed79, make sure to familiarize yourselves with our Code of Conduct.
Honest question here. Are you just gonna delete posts that are against it, and just gonna let the posts that' re not against it? Feel like there's a double standard, here. Just a feeling.
high rated
dixxn: Honest question here. Are you just gonna delete posts that are against it, and just gonna let the posts that' re not against it? Feel like there's a double standard, here. Just a feeling.
We're never removing comments for simply being critical. We're removing comments that are breaking the rules of our Code of Conduct (see above).
joppo: To be fair, that only shows the love of people for the older BG games and their trust in Larian for their previous games rather than a "fact" that THIS game is objectively good. We simply can't assess that before the launch, obviously.
I mean, we can, because the game is available, and currently on Steam has a 89% overall positive rating/95% last 30 days positive rating. Obviously that's based on an incomplete game, however being unfinished can have both negative (it's unfinished!) and positive (possibly the game gets worse later on) effects on the current rating.
Because,at least so far, Divinity: Dragon Commander is the only Larian title I have regretted buying?
It would be cool if you would add geforce now support for your games, because sadly I bought BG3 on gog.com instead on steam, wich have the gfn support.
It would be good if, having spent my £50, and now being Friday morning, I could download it onto my Mac. GOG Galaxy still crashing on opening. :-(
Wratek: It would be cool if you would add geforce now support for your games, because sadly I bought BG3 on gog.com instead on steam, wich have the gfn support.
I'm pretty sure the lack of GOG support at Geforce Now is an Nvidia or publisher issue, not a GOG issue. GOG is open to having support there I'm sure.

Personally, the only thing I use Geforce Now for is playing DRM infected games that haven't come to GOG yet.
Wratek: It would be cool if you would add geforce now support for your games, because sadly I bought BG3 on gog.com instead on steam, wich have the gfn support.
barleyguy: I'm pretty sure the lack of GOG support at Geforce Now is an Nvidia or publisher issue, not a GOG issue. GOG is open to having support there I'm sure.

Personally, the only thing I use Geforce Now for is playing DRM infected games that haven't come to GOG yet.
I do not know what to think, because there are some games which are playable geforce now even if it is owned on gog.com
barleyguy: I'm pretty sure the lack of GOG support at Geforce Now is an Nvidia or publisher issue, not a GOG issue. GOG is open to having support there I'm sure.

Wratek: I do not know what to think, because there are some games which are playable geforce now even if it is owned on gog.com
Those are games that CD Project Red owns the publishing rights to, AFAIK.
GOG.com: The wait is almost over – mark your calendars for August 3rd!
I am SO STOKED for this! I believe Larian will knock it out of the park. Plus, they always do their community right because the patch and add to their games over time. I think Swen deserves a lot of credit for how he's turned that studio around over the years.