It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Crewdroog: i am downloading van helsing right now from steam. while I was bumbling around there I ran into a game called Grim Dawn and is from the creators of Titan Quest. It looks pretty awesome, but it is steam, so there is that. However, I don't have enough vram for it, so I can't play it, and that makes me a sad panda.

I looked at victor vran too, but again, computer is just not up for it. Funny thing, I was looking at sacred, and I may download it next. However, I kinda want to give heretic kingdoms another go. who knows.
HunchBluntley: This one? Or one of its predecessors? I had never heard of this game before people started comparing Victor Vran to it in the release thread here. (At least, I assume it's this game. They all just called it "Van Helsing", and I don't imagine there are too many other recent vampire-hunter-themed hack-&-slash ARPGs out there.)

I feel your pain regarding the PC being underpowered. Even if I could afford them, and cared to try them, a lot of these newer games being released (even here!) are beyond the capabilities of my lowly off-the-shelf laptop.

On a side note, I find it odd that no one has yet made a GOGmix focusing on these types of ARPGs. At least, none that are very popular and that contain Torchlight or Sacred Gold.
Yes, that is it, but the first one. Since I like these types of games, Steam was always yelling at me to buy it, so eventually I did. And it has sat on the shelf for forever, along with many many others.

Also, high-five for having off the shelf laptops, I'm right there with ya! I am slowly squirreling away money for either a PS4 (for fallout 4) or a new, but average gaming computer. I could never hope to afford a higher end one.

Hmm, a gogmix for ARPGs, there really isn't one? Maybe I will download what I have here and make one since I play them a lot. I've been wanting to review some games anyways, but haven't found the motivation to do it.

Edit: Omg, I totally forgot I had Nox. Downloading that too then.
Post edited August 04, 2015 by Crewdroog
Crewdroog: Also, high-five for having off the shelf laptops, I'm right there with ya! I am slowly squirreling away money for either a PS4 (for fallout 4) or a new, but average gaming computer. I could never hope to afford a higher end one.
*shrug* All it takes is a bit more patience. A higher-end (not meaning super-duper ridiculously expensive) setup may seem like a costly investment, but it also typically has a much longer lifeline than anything you may buy in the near future because of the "gotta have it now!" sentiment. I used to game a bit on console but their restrictions just got on my nerves after a while. Plus, many of these big games still tend to have performance flaws seeing as the current generation really are just average (and in certain cases too underpowered) PC game boxes.

I'm also running a two-years-old off-the-shelf lappie right now, but it's one of them ASUS gamer ones. It wasn't the highest tier at the time, but it's been doing quite well with most games I've thrown at it. Slowly but surely some of the newer big budget releases are showing that even my decent lappie isn't keeping up anymore, but I believe I can easily squeeze another year (or two if I'm pushing it) out of it. I'm actually confident it should handle Fallout 4 decently well, seeing how the game will be still running on Bethesda's aging Creation engine.

There's only one game I'd really want to play but can't and that's Witcher 3 (also the only game on GOG that has too high sys reqs for me). But it ain't worth upgrading for one single game. I know if I really wanted to I could manage right now, but I might as well save some more and by the time I'm actually ready for a hardware upgrade - thinking of getting a guaranteed good quality desktop one from either Puget Systems or Falcon Northwest - I ought to get even better tech for the same money as well as probably being able to pick up those games I've missed out on until then for less.
I've decided to give Terror From the Deep another try, but I am going to force myself to not save during missions, except ship missions where I'll allow myself 2/3 saves per ship-level
Crewdroog: Also, high-five for having off the shelf laptops, I'm right there with ya! I am slowly squirreling away money for either a PS4 (for fallout 4) or a new, but average gaming computer. I could never hope to afford a higher end one.
mistermumbles:
thanks, I will keep this in mind :)
I'm playing Limbo, it's a strangle little game where you instantly drown as soon as your face so much as touches the water. There are strange stalactite plants that drop a glowing cucumber on your head that turn you into a kind of zombie that can only walk one way. Usually into the water so that you'll drown. There's a lot of drowning to be had here, that's for sure.

Matewis: I've decided to give Terror From the Deep another try, but I am going to force myself to not save during missions, except ship missions where I'll allow myself 2/3 saves per ship-level
Masochist :o

We'll talk again as soon as the first sonic pulser wipes out half your squad and you'll scream so loudly that is terrorizes your neighbors.
Post edited August 04, 2015 by awalterj
awalterj: Masochist :o

We'll talk again as soon as the first sonic pulser wipes out half your squad and you'll scream so loudly that is terrorizes your neighbors.
I know full well what I'm getting myself into ;-) I finished the original XCom with a similar playstyle. Not at first that is. On my first attempt I saved incessantly and soon found myself bored with the game. I then restarted the game and forced myself not to save during missions, which totally changed the atmosphere and made everything incredibly tense and incredibly fun :)
I haven't come across the sonic pulser yet, but I imagine it something like the Blaster Launcher from the original. That bloody thing could wipe an entire squad and I always had to take special (and patient) precautions to protect yourself from it.
Crewdroog: Hmm, a gogmix for ARPGs, there really isn't one? [...]
Not that I found, no. Of course, the lack of any proper way to search GOGmixes means it's quite possible at least one such mix already exists, but simply isn't high-rated enough to show up on a game page. The way I looked was by going to the store pages for Torchlight and Sacred Gold (two games one would expect to be on any kind of comprehensive list of ARPGs on GOG), look at the top mixes shown on those pages, then click through to a couple of those, and see what other mixes show on those pages.
You've probably played a lot more of the ARPGs on GOG than I have (meaning: more than two =) ), so you're infinitely better qualified to do such a mix.
Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut. Just getting back to this one after a long break, the action parts of the game may not be very fun but the rest of it is great.
Ultima Underworld 2
Such bitter fighting over this town in Arma 2 I crashed the game and ruined the save for that mission.

This town has no good options for advance, I need some artillery or some shit to blast the whole town.
finally replaying the longest journey - last time i played it was like 10-15 years ago and really liking it so far - game aged really well
Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure

I started playing it a few days ago and i'm having a blast with it. :)

A great colorful action-adventure, highly recommended if you like japanese games.
I've tried like, flanking the town, straight up assaulting it, armored personnel vehicles (that got blown up), dudes in jeeps with like, machine guns and teams of marines. Everything was going exactly according to plan damn it.
Dishonored

Playing through with a mostly stealth go at it. I kill a few people, but not too many and keep my chaos level to low. Havent tried to ghost a level yet either. The sword fighting is actually quite fun though. Definitely going to give it another play through with all violence, maybe a full ghost one too. The game has great exploration, especially when using the blink ability.
Xenoblade Chronicles

I'm not ashamed to admit to playing a Wii game. Especially not when they are as good as this one, I can see it easily being an 80 plus hour game even though I'm not usually much into JRPG's.