It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

My only knowledge about Cyberpunk is the game teaser on youtube. And when I watched Ghost in the Shell today, I watched the video again to check the similarities between them. Guns, tall buildings, moistly weather and ofcourse cybernetically enhanced humans (or human-alike-robots).

I have no other knowledge about those two universes so I came here, to the wise and sophisticated GOG community, to seek knowledge about them. Are they connected in any way? Is there any place where i can get more knowledge?

Tnx in advance.
Engin.
Engerek01: My only knowledge about Cyberpunk is the game teaser on youtube. And when I watched Ghost in the Shell today, I watched the video again to check the similarities between them. Guns, tall buildings, moistly weather and ofcourse cybernetically enhanced humans (or human-alike-robots).

I have no other knowledge about those two universes so I came here, to the wise and sophisticated GOG community, to seek knowledge about them. Are they connected in any way? Is there any place where i can get more knowledge?

Tnx in advance.
Engin.
They're both in cyberpunk settings?
Engerek01: My only knowledge about Cyberpunk is the game teaser on youtube. And when I watched Ghost in the Shell today, I watched the video again to check the similarities between them. Guns, tall buildings, moistly weather and ofcourse cybernetically enhanced humans (or human-alike-robots).

Tnx in advance.
Engin.
They are both made up of vowels and consonants. Course there is nothing similar between them. One is a remake of an 80s or something anime film that became very popular in the west, cyberpunk is a game in dev by cdproject red.
From your description you could cover any action film from the last 20years.
I'm no expert on either one, having only seen the live action GitS and only having played a few games of tabletop Cyberpunk about a decade ago, but I think the similarities are just the basic cyberpunk tropes. There is no certainly connection between the two universes.

If you want to get to know the genre better, I suggest watching Blade Runner, Total Recall 2070, Johny Mnemonic and Max Headroom (just to name a few) and playing Deus Ex, Ronin and Shadowrun Returns (note, Shadowrun puts a unique fantasy spin on the genre).
Post edited May 18, 2017 by Breja
Here, have yourself a blast reading about Cyberpunk:

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CyberPunk

Like everyone else said, both are cyberpunk works, so they share a lot of visual tropes.

Want to have your mind blown? Read the Sprawl Trilogy (Neuromancer, Count Zero, Monalisa Overdrive) and The Invisibles and, then, watch the first Matrix movie again. :P
Thanks alot for the information and links.

So can we say Cyberpunk is the general term for such stories? I am thinking of The Fifth Element for example. Can this movie be also called Cyberpunk?
I would say that the 5th element has nothing to do with cyberpunk.
Akira has much more to do with.

You prolly already know the term "steampunk", where you see a world with a technology advance based on steamwork machines. (and a lot of derivative, like clockwork-punk)
And often the aesthetic age like stuck in the one where the technology started to really spread : for steamwork, it was at the end of 1800, start of 1900, so this world often stylized in a victorian way.
Imagine same with cybernetics technologies (more nowadays and close future), and with it's most described (and already used IRL) approach : trans-humanism, and (mostly as discussed in Ghost in the Shell, at least the original movie and the manga paper, really less in the live us remake), post-humanism and what makes an enhanced human still a human, what is the "limit". (the ghost, apparently not even mentionned in the us remake)
Post edited May 18, 2017 by V3nom
Breja: ...I suggest watching Blade Runner,...
I like
Breja: ...Total Recall 2070,...
I really, really like!
Breja: Johny Mnemonic
I really like
Breja: ...Max Headroom
WHAT THE...! OK, Breja, I guess this settles what I'll be watching over the weekend.
Breja: ...(just to name a few)...
Off the top of your head, if anything else stands out, please let me know.

EDIT: Of course I mistook Total Recall 2070 for the '90 movie, but it turns out that this is a TV Series, so I'll have to choose between these two for this weekend.
Post edited May 18, 2017 by MadalinStroe
I just rewatched Blade Runner, it's grown on me.
Both are non American.
shadowrun

Tnx in advance.
Engin.
nightcraw1er.488: They are both made up of vowels and consonants. Course there is nothing similar between them. One is a remake of an 80s or something anime film that became very popular in the west, cyberpunk is a game in dev by cdproject red.
From your description you could cover any action film from the last 20years.
Actually, GITS is a long running manga series, and the anime was based on mostly one chapter from the Manga. The recent films storyline has more affinity (little as there may be) with the Manga, not the anime.
Both projects are entertainment media.

Have fun understanding it.
Even if you don't want/can't play the game, getting the gurps cyberpunk book is an AMAZING intro to cyberpunk.
MadalinStroe: Off the top of your head, if anything else stands out, please let me know.

EDIT: Of course I mistook Total Recall 2070 for the '90 movie, but it turns out that this is a TV Series, so I'll have to choose between these two for this weekend.
Go with Total Recall 2070 if you can. It's damn great, far more ambitious than most tv shows. Max Headroom is a fun, odd little thing well worht knowing, but not nearly as good.

I'm on the fence whether Gattaca is cyberpunk, but I guess it's close enough, and it's so great any excuse to recommend it is a good one. A superb movie, criminally underrated.

There's also a few fun action films, maybe not great cinema, but a ton of fun, like The Fortress with Cristopher Lambert or Omega Doom with Rutger Hauer
Post edited May 19, 2017 by Breja