It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

New features, local currency option, new payment methods, store credit, and an updated look for GOG.com!

For almost six years now we strive to bring you not only the best in DRM-Free gaming, but also to give you the greatest experience possible. To that end we're always looking for ways to improve our site and service. Today, we're rolling out a vastly updated version of our store with an improved interface, sleek new look, and lots of handy new features. Let's take a quick tour, shall we?

Video: Welcome to the fresher, better GOG.com!

First of all we are giving you more DRM-free content: movies! We are starting with 20 documentaries about internet and gaming culture but we aim high! You can find more on this in the appropriate newspost, so let's focus on the other features we're rolling out.

We wanted to give you more choice as to how you pay for things on GOG.com. Now it's up to you if you want to pay in US Dollars, or in the currency primarily used in your country, whether it's the Euro, Pounds Sterling, Australian Dollars, or Russian Roubles. That's four new currencies supported by GOG.com for your convenience. Still - the choice is yours, so if you want to stick to US dollars, just switch to it - you find this option at the bottom of each page. To make buying things at GOG.com an even more flexible process, we're introducing some new payment methods: Sofort, Giropay, Webmoney, and Yandex.

All this also means that users for whom the local currency pricing has been enabled will have an option to select one of two different prices for each game in our catalog. Of course, we stand by the simple truth that $1 does not equal 1€, so a game with a $5.99 price tag will cost 4.49 Euro, 3.69 British Pounds, 6.49 Australian Dollars, and 219 Roubles respectively. $9.99 translates to 7.49 Euro, 5.99 Pounds Sterling, 10.89 Australian Dollars, and 359 Roubles. In a perfect world we would apply the same method of pricing to all of the games we offer. However, things are a little bit more complicated, and there are some games in our catalog that follow a different region-based pricing scheme. However, we wouldn't be GOG.com if we didn't find a way to make right by the users who end up paying relatively more for such titles. Here's where the Fair Price Package comes in!

The Fair Price Package applies to all of the titles which we couldn't include in our standard pricing scheme. If you end up paying more for a game than its standard US Dollar price, we'll refund you the difference out of our own pocket. The refunded value will be added to your account in Store Credit in the currency of your purchase. That's right, no more gift codes, you'll be getting Store Credit that you can use to purchase anything on GOG.com or partially pay for an item that's more expensive. More choice, ease of use, and less limitations!

Finally, the GOG.com store has gotten itself a substantial visual revamp. We went for a fresh, mobile-friendly design that should make it even easier to find the games you want, notice the hot promos, and see what's new. The main page, catalog view, product pages, and checkout have been updated and also lay the groundwork for even more overhaul, coming within the next few months together with many of the GOG Galaxy features. We hope you like it!

PS. Unfortunately, we need to drop some titles from our classic catalog. In such cases, we always do our best to give you an advance warning and a last chance to purchase such games - preferably with a considerable discount. Check this news post to find out which titles are being removed from our catalog, when will it happen, and what parting discounts for them do we currently offer.
Post edited August 27, 2014 by G-Doc
Eh? I can chose what currency i wish to pay with? Well I might be sitting in the EU, but my country's primary currency is NOT the Euro, so Why can't I chose $ anymore? I just checked 4 different game and no dice. Seems that I have to pay in Euro (The good old 1$=1€) and then have my money sitting on gog's site like Steam Wallet.

Is this the future of GOG?
Redesign looks alright. Pretty modern.

All the movies look like self-indulgent navel-gazing by people who deserve a punch in the face, though.

Good look, GOG!
IAmSinistar: Still coming to grips with the changes. Not sure why GOG decided to branch out to movies, nothing there interests me yet.

I like that the change cleaned up the Gifts list, though I do have one code on there with no game associated. I don't think it's a Fallout key, as I had Support remove those a while back. I can PM the code to someone if they want to test it for me.
Niggles: I dont understand either. eBooks or Music would have been the way to go. Movies?.I get a bad feeling about this choice.
I believe it might be because there are already stablished websites dedicated to the distribution of DRM-free music and books, and they might not want to compete against those. Also they already include many game soundtracks as freebies.

DRM-free movies are few and far between and are mostly documentaries (because once you step on the soapbox you want people to listen to you damnit) because as we all know the movie industry loves its DRM.

I'm still as baffled by this move as everyone else though.
Post edited August 27, 2014 by j0ekerr
Found one more issue: reviews of games cannot be rated anymore, it seems (I take it, this is just a temporary bug?!); also, as somebody else mentioned: the review date is gone. Why?

Also, another thought: Maybe use the 'justified' align instead of aligning all texts to the right?! (especially on the game pages themselves) That's just my opinion as a non-professional in any field, including ui-design, don't know if it would work and/or if it would work better for real, I simply like these blocks of text better in general.

Btw, is the new GOG icon at the top right supposed to be transparent? It looks a bit weird when the images or text scroll through underneath.
Post edited August 27, 2014 by modkon
Seeing how our posts are read, I would like to point one more thing in addition to what everyone else has previously commented upon.

GOG IS NOT STEAM! Do not attempt to look like Steam, mimic it in any way, shape or form or think that this will attract Steamboys. Remember when you were enthusiastic fans of good, old games and try to bring that spirit back to the GOG.com site.

Right now, it looks like just another amongst countless storefronts digitally distributing games. Sans-DRM of course, but that's a given.
We wanted to give you more choice as to how you pay for things on GOG.com except you are chinese.
add Alipay, please.
Post edited August 27, 2014 by thejason.433
Matruchus: This is how my wishlist looks half of the time now. More blue text. Buggs, Buggs and Buggs.
Mine looks like the old color scheme but without prices listed.
BJWanlund: OMG I'm thrilled. This is the update I have felt that the site has sorely needed for years now! (Now my wallet is not anywhere close to being safe come the Winter DRM-Free Sale! Thanks!)

Plus, it is now actually USABLE on my iPhone 5S and I don't have to zoom in on what I want! I am so unabashedly thrilled that I may actually spend some money here today.
THANKS to the people who are like you... Congrats that you have not to zoom in any more. Yeah.
A question: Do you - or better - can you also play the games on your shitty phone? (Hint: That's a rhetorical question, so please don't answer.)
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!!!!!!!!!!

So much fucking bangwadon riding these days!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!!!!!!!!!

Die flat gray die!

/me returns to looking for a new window manager when kde 5 arrives
The site looks kinda crap initial impression.Ugly grey bar right at the top.I thought WTF when i came to the site this morning :/.
I cant see many people being interested in the movies. And the game removal.

Whatever happened to the forums being revamped? i would have thought that would have been pretty high on the priority list?.

Despite repeated requests there is still no link on a given game card to the forum dedicated to it..or am i missing something.

Is there something with the font on the grey background on gamecards?. They look kinda fuzzy....
Post edited August 27, 2014 by Niggles
high rated
More currencies, great. The movies thing, I'm actually very excited about. But the new page design... really? Do mobile phones have trouble displaying colors or something? Please give the designer of this bland, hostile, sterile crap a swat upside the head, bring some of the old look back while keeping mobile functionality, and carry on.
I noticed this change, because the mobile page changed its look. Exactly speaking, the mobile page is formed now.

And the PC page has now separated library and wishlist button, so I can enter Wishlist directly from main page.

All of these changes look fine but so sad that the game catalog will have some changes in a BAD way. Why should all these good games be gone!! Especially, The Guild series has come on GOG just a few months ago!!!
The movie pages have no description on what kind of audio is encoded. Surely you're not using the crappy Apple AAC encoding? You should be using an DRM free audio format, like FLAC or WAV for these films/documentary things. Otherwise they're not really 100% DRM free yeah?
Post edited August 27, 2014 by u2jedi
Mobile friendly? Ha! The Search button is no longer even available on mobile devices (it was before).
Well, I like that game browsing is actually doable now without extreme scrolling marathons and magnification apps.

The cold, lifeless icon will take some getting used to.