It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

New features, local currency option, new payment methods, store credit, and an updated look for GOG.com!

For almost six years now we strive to bring you not only the best in DRM-Free gaming, but also to give you the greatest experience possible. To that end we're always looking for ways to improve our site and service. Today, we're rolling out a vastly updated version of our store with an improved interface, sleek new look, and lots of handy new features. Let's take a quick tour, shall we?

Video: Welcome to the fresher, better GOG.com!

First of all we are giving you more DRM-free content: movies! We are starting with 20 documentaries about internet and gaming culture but we aim high! You can find more on this in the appropriate newspost, so let's focus on the other features we're rolling out.

We wanted to give you more choice as to how you pay for things on GOG.com. Now it's up to you if you want to pay in US Dollars, or in the currency primarily used in your country, whether it's the Euro, Pounds Sterling, Australian Dollars, or Russian Roubles. That's four new currencies supported by GOG.com for your convenience. Still - the choice is yours, so if you want to stick to US dollars, just switch to it - you find this option at the bottom of each page. To make buying things at GOG.com an even more flexible process, we're introducing some new payment methods: Sofort, Giropay, Webmoney, and Yandex.

All this also means that users for whom the local currency pricing has been enabled will have an option to select one of two different prices for each game in our catalog. Of course, we stand by the simple truth that $1 does not equal 1€, so a game with a $5.99 price tag will cost 4.49 Euro, 3.69 British Pounds, 6.49 Australian Dollars, and 219 Roubles respectively. $9.99 translates to 7.49 Euro, 5.99 Pounds Sterling, 10.89 Australian Dollars, and 359 Roubles. In a perfect world we would apply the same method of pricing to all of the games we offer. However, things are a little bit more complicated, and there are some games in our catalog that follow a different region-based pricing scheme. However, we wouldn't be GOG.com if we didn't find a way to make right by the users who end up paying relatively more for such titles. Here's where the Fair Price Package comes in!

The Fair Price Package applies to all of the titles which we couldn't include in our standard pricing scheme. If you end up paying more for a game than its standard US Dollar price, we'll refund you the difference out of our own pocket. The refunded value will be added to your account in Store Credit in the currency of your purchase. That's right, no more gift codes, you'll be getting Store Credit that you can use to purchase anything on GOG.com or partially pay for an item that's more expensive. More choice, ease of use, and less limitations!

Finally, the GOG.com store has gotten itself a substantial visual revamp. We went for a fresh, mobile-friendly design that should make it even easier to find the games you want, notice the hot promos, and see what's new. The main page, catalog view, product pages, and checkout have been updated and also lay the groundwork for even more overhaul, coming within the next few months together with many of the GOG Galaxy features. We hope you like it!

PS. Unfortunately, we need to drop some titles from our classic catalog. In such cases, we always do our best to give you an advance warning and a last chance to purchase such games - preferably with a considerable discount. Check this news post to find out which titles are being removed from our catalog, when will it happen, and what parting discounts for them do we currently offer.
Post edited August 27, 2014 by G-Doc
high rated
I’ve been trying to get accustomed to new design during last couple of hours, but I couldn’t.
Not that I dislike grey (I even tolerate blue-green-red sequence, if you know what I mean;)), but current palette looks like subdued insignia on military uniform, and what’s appropriate there barely appropriate on store. So, unless we attacking origin/uplay, and those are combat fatigues, I’d vote for more colourful scheme, as current one is a way blend, and it can’t grab my attention.
Generally I use text to navigate through menus and lists, but current design's problem is that text, despite being enlarged, became less noticeable, as games’ “plaques” (I wouldn’t call them “icons” as they are huge now) clog the view and distract my attention instead of helping me navigating. Before all I had to do was to scroll down and read through list, taking notes by names and “heart” symbol. Now I need to scan the entire screen reading names, as games’ plaques aren’t helping, and instead of scrolling down I also had to switch pages. Planning some banner ad?
But I digress. Very few games have recognizable, easy to memorize symbols, allowing quicker identification. Current version of store resembles explosion in vegetables store – a lot of colours, few easy-to-spot images, so I spend a lot more time browsing through store, giving unnecessary strain to my eyes. Maybe from designer’s point of view new interface is masterpiece. From mine, as customer, it is horrible, as it does the opposite of what it should do – allowing me to browse fast, finding what I want, buying it, and playing it. Lack of “wishlisted” icon is not helping either.
I suppose you studied Steam app, and probably aware of several versions of interface there (by the way, I dislike recent changes there as text there became less readable), available from “view” menu there. Old GoG.com resembled “Games details”, or at least “games list” options, while new one clearly resembles “games grid”. They offer subsequently less games per page, making me waste more time browsing through. It saddens me seeing you going this direction.
In addition, new screenshot “presenter” is horrible, as it opens new tabs I had to close afterwards instead of keeping old version which offered more screenshots per game (very useful for bundles) and required less time to browse through. Since significant amount of games here are old, having new tabs for 800x600 (or whatever resolution they are) pictures is somewhat annoying, even if there are just 6 of them.
Although “free goodies” strip never been a dealbreaker for me, but before I at least could notice what’s in. Now I just skip it as it isn't there.
Lack of colour-distinct notifications, be those updated games, new private messages, or subdued colours for games we own are just few of many problems, especially now, when there are no numbers suggesting what’s exactly new, and subdued colours for owned titles not being easily noticable.
I’m still waiting confirmation of charging (not changing!) currency, as I don’t want to pay 15% for conversion.
P.S. Unless you planning to make Grey DeLisle your symbol I'd say this design should be modified.
high rated
I generally do not post on the forums as I'm busy playing games or working... but as a UX/UI designer, I have to chime in.

Preface: I appreciate the responsive, mobile-friendly layout... but I would assume most people browse this site and purchase on a desktop.

Way too much grey. The simplistic 'tile' layout leaves a lot to be desired. Everything feels very flat and lifeless.

The typography is mostly Ok (other than very thin fonts in places) but a little too bunched together. I think you guys could play with more white space between elements. That being said, on individual game pages, the .header__in div has way too much height - it puts the screenshots and relevant information too far down the page. On a retina display, this is fine, but not on a 1080p monitor.

HEADLINES are hard to scan. No need for giant images, too much text in too little space.

The footer is the strongest part of the homepage as it has some proper contrast and visual affordance to titles / links / sections.

Just some initial thoughts.
Is the new site really using a font designed only for use with anti-aliasing on a public website? Trying to read stuff with inconsistent line thickness is absolutely no fun at all. Attached is an example of what the text looks like on Windows Vista SP2 with anti-aliasing/cleartype turned off in Opera and Firefox.

On less serious matters the only thing of interest to me on the front page is the news so it's a shame this new layout hasn't made it more prominent. Is there any chance we could get a dedicated news page?

EDIT: Attachment doesn't seem to work, here's an imgur link:
http://i.imgur.com/zFyxmNi.jpg
Post edited August 27, 2014 by EndlessWaves
waldyprzy: I generally do not post on the forums as I'm busy playing games or working... but as a UX/UI designer, I have to chime in.

Preface: I appreciate the responsive, mobile-friendly layout... but I would assume most people browse this site and purchase on a desktop.

Way too much grey. The simplistic 'tile' layout leaves a lot to be desired. Everything feels very flat and lifeless.

The typography is mostly Ok (other than very thin fonts in places) but a little too bunched together. I think you guys could play with more white space between elements. That being said, on individual game pages, the .header__in div has way too much height - it puts the screenshots and relevant information too far down the page. On a retina display, this is fine, but not on a 1080p monitor.

HEADLINES are hard to scan. No need for giant images, too much text in too little space.

The footer is the strongest part of the homepage as it has some proper contrast and visual affordance to titles / links / sections.

Just some initial thoughts.
http://www.gog.com/work#ui_ux_designer
high rated
Not keen on the updated Wishlist having no prices listed like it did before. I liked being able to glance & see if any of the games I wanted were on sale at any given time.
"LOGIN" using "Chromium Version 38.0.2119.0 (288592)" does not work. The username and password fields are somehow not usable. There is a cursor but you can't type anything. High chance this is also the case on Google Chrome.
Hardrada: I note that the "Average rating" no longer tells us how many people have rated the game, which I found to be useful information. Without it I must assume that all the ratings were made by five members of the development team and thus cannot be trusted.
Scroll up, you'll find the info you're looking for. But, yes, it could be down there as well.
This is how my wishlist looks half of the time now. More blue text. Buggs, Buggs and Buggs.
Attachments:
newgog.jpg (159 Kb)
Post edited August 27, 2014 by Matruchus
waaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

uhhh... hhuuuh,,,

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!
high rated
G-Doc: Ummm... I'm pretty sure we haven't done anything with the forums layout. Try switching to a darker theme on the top of the forum page, maybe?
Ummm... yes you have - you've plastered this huge blinding bar at the top that keeps stalking me, added a huge (I'd say blank, but it's... grey) space after the posts and before the footer, and made the footer so tall that it takes up more than half a page.

G-Doc: Just a quick note: rest assured we're following this thread closely, taking note of every issue, suggestion, or concern you guys might be posting. We know that some things aren't yet working 100% as they should, but we'll continue to work on putting the site in better shape than it ever was.

Thanks for all your feedback! If you find anything that needs our attention and post it here, you can consider it reported, and you don't need to trouble yourself with sending us a support ticket.

On behalf of the GOG.com team, thank you for all the kind words and constructive criticism!
I second what Wishbone said here. I sincerely hope you're not taking notes only of the tech issues.

The focus should be on making the site user-friendly, independently of the device used to access it.
Not digging the new design. Feels SOULLESS. This may be remediated with allowing us to customize the colors, like being able to pick a dark theme with white text, or "classic" color theme with the old GOG colors.

But, cool fair pricing policy and currency support for non-US customers.

I doubt many people will care about movies, but it doesn't really detract anything, so whatevs on that.

WHERE THE HELL ARE MY GIFT CODES
Post edited August 27, 2014 by ravl13
AlienMind: High chance this is also the case on Google Chrome.
It isn't. I'm on Chrome, and I had to log in when I went to the site today. Worked fine. Also, if the login function didn't work on Chrome, you can be damn sure a lot more people would be up in arms about it right now.
yeah why is there a huge blob of grey at the bottom of the forums now? I think that can use to go if it isn't reserving space for something that's supposed to go there later when you redo the forums or something.

as for the new persistent bar on top, I don't personally have an issue with it,

putting the headlines on the left makes more sense. the new movie and game pages look phenomenal.

I do also mind the loss of colour in the gog.com webpage. I figured everything would go grey to match Galaxy, but it was nice having a splash of colour in the old site. things look a bit too soulless at the moment. just my opinion.
lol, search page just disappeared.

[EDIT] Now it's back. Looks like they're changing on the fly. In the middle of the night!
Post edited August 27, 2014 by yogsloth
I like the new homepage and I like the attempt to cater to smartphones. However, the site is still not easy to use on my phone, it is very slow to load and the menu often refuses to open, rendering the site unusable. And the forums (which is what I'd most like to view) are as clunky as ever on the phone.

The game pages suck. Too much gray, not clear if I've owned the game or not, GIANT pixelated screenshots instead of focusing on the game description and reviews. The inconsistency in the headers (some are grayscale, others full color) really stands out now that they are given space to themselves at the top of the page. And I think the game's cover art should be somewhere on the page - some people remember a game by its cover art instead of its screenshots.

The biggest problem with the new site is no game prices on my wishlist. I can't even tell what games are on sale!

I do have to give props for using the Tux icon for Linux. Way to go!

Not sure how I feel about a ton of games being removed, including awesome ones such as Amnesia and Penumbra, and having that announcement buried under all of this other news. Feels a little deceptive.