It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

New features, local currency option, new payment methods, store credit, and an updated look for GOG.com!

For almost six years now we strive to bring you not only the best in DRM-Free gaming, but also to give you the greatest experience possible. To that end we're always looking for ways to improve our site and service. Today, we're rolling out a vastly updated version of our store with an improved interface, sleek new look, and lots of handy new features. Let's take a quick tour, shall we?

Video: Welcome to the fresher, better GOG.com!

First of all we are giving you more DRM-free content: movies! We are starting with 20 documentaries about internet and gaming culture but we aim high! You can find more on this in the appropriate newspost, so let's focus on the other features we're rolling out.

We wanted to give you more choice as to how you pay for things on GOG.com. Now it's up to you if you want to pay in US Dollars, or in the currency primarily used in your country, whether it's the Euro, Pounds Sterling, Australian Dollars, or Russian Roubles. That's four new currencies supported by GOG.com for your convenience. Still - the choice is yours, so if you want to stick to US dollars, just switch to it - you find this option at the bottom of each page. To make buying things at GOG.com an even more flexible process, we're introducing some new payment methods: Sofort, Giropay, Webmoney, and Yandex.

All this also means that users for whom the local currency pricing has been enabled will have an option to select one of two different prices for each game in our catalog. Of course, we stand by the simple truth that $1 does not equal 1€, so a game with a $5.99 price tag will cost 4.49 Euro, 3.69 British Pounds, 6.49 Australian Dollars, and 219 Roubles respectively. $9.99 translates to 7.49 Euro, 5.99 Pounds Sterling, 10.89 Australian Dollars, and 359 Roubles. In a perfect world we would apply the same method of pricing to all of the games we offer. However, things are a little bit more complicated, and there are some games in our catalog that follow a different region-based pricing scheme. However, we wouldn't be GOG.com if we didn't find a way to make right by the users who end up paying relatively more for such titles. Here's where the Fair Price Package comes in!

The Fair Price Package applies to all of the titles which we couldn't include in our standard pricing scheme. If you end up paying more for a game than its standard US Dollar price, we'll refund you the difference out of our own pocket. The refunded value will be added to your account in Store Credit in the currency of your purchase. That's right, no more gift codes, you'll be getting Store Credit that you can use to purchase anything on GOG.com or partially pay for an item that's more expensive. More choice, ease of use, and less limitations!

Finally, the GOG.com store has gotten itself a substantial visual revamp. We went for a fresh, mobile-friendly design that should make it even easier to find the games you want, notice the hot promos, and see what's new. The main page, catalog view, product pages, and checkout have been updated and also lay the groundwork for even more overhaul, coming within the next few months together with many of the GOG Galaxy features. We hope you like it!

PS. Unfortunately, we need to drop some titles from our classic catalog. In such cases, we always do our best to give you an advance warning and a last chance to purchase such games - preferably with a considerable discount. Check this news post to find out which titles are being removed from our catalog, when will it happen, and what parting discounts for them do we currently offer.
Post edited August 27, 2014 by G-Doc
tokisto: Oh gosh, thanks for point me this... Guess I talked too early...
Nah, don't worry about it. I've made the same mistake before (plus this site seems to react differently with every browser and computer out there, so it's difficult to be 100% precise). Moreover, this whole transformation has been such a clusterfuck of mistakes that even FUBAR can't explain it properly.

I wish a bluetext would come in and tell us that they are prepared to take such and such action to reform the site on the basis of our comments/suggestions. This way we would at least know what will and what won't be fixed in the near future.
I just added my wish under "Requested Features":
Goodbye "fresher, better" GOG.com, Welcome back traditional GOG.com!

Unfortunately I wrote "Godbye" - sorry for my spelling... ;-)
New look, needs a bit of time to get used to, but it's absolutely fine.

I just miss the mini-icon with your own avatar in the top menu, which instantly showed if you were logged in or not.
Post edited September 02, 2014 by Merchito
I like some of the changes. But there are three things that bother me (all related).
1) The colourless GoG logo.
2) The missing mini avatar
3) Colour to the notifications button.

In short, just needs a little colour on that top bar.
I can accept the front page format.
Colorless GOG logo remind me of Nintendo grey looking logo :)
theMole4: Oooh, how strange, customers of a site that sells games from as far as back as the 80's don't like change...
eiii: I do like changes, maybe not too many at a time :), but I definitely prefer it when changes improve things. ;)
I do like choice, like in "try out this new UI/site design! If you like it, you can use it!", like the currency selector on the new GOG site, which I highly praise. But it seems like designers everywhere are forcing changes on the customers (OS interfaces, monitor aspect ratios - can I buy a 4:3 monitor at my nearest, gigantic retail store? not anymore! - file systems [e.g. exFAT], shoes, eyeglasses, seeds, you name it!). (Maybe my being an OCD sufferer weighs in on this world view, I'm afraid).

And you're obviously right: when the changes are many AND (almost all of them) for worse, NOBODY likes them.

EDIT: Didn't they learn anything from the New Coke affair? If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Post edited September 02, 2014 by theMole4
For crying out loud.. half of this site doesn't work properly neither on my blackberry nor on my PC.

I don't want shiny crap. I want functional blocks. Bring the old stuff back
hmm does the new site work slower for you guys too?
Momo1991: Now with "You've got some kind of notice but we're NOT gonna tell you which kind! It's funner that way - just try ALL of the drop down list selections until you find your new message or your new forum reply - see wasn't that fun??
Gydion: Firefox user? That ones actually a site bug. It works properly on new pages. If your interested I posted a .css fix which ChrisSD then made into a proper style targeting only the legacy pages. (needs Stylish add-on)
marianne: Also, I like this greyer depressing look and I even got me a new avatar so that I'd fit in with this new cheerful and happy look.
Gydion: Actually, while it fits in better that avatar's still too colorful. Not to mention she's smiling. ;)
Hahahaha...good one, Gydion.
Hmmm, guess I better fix that avatar...I sure don't want to blind anyone with a sudden burst of color ;) :D
xxxIndyxxx: hmm does the new site work slower for you guys too?
I feel it too.

Doesn't come as a surprise. The new "look" HTML is big compared to the old one, so every page load for everybody takes longer. Couple this with the larger images and it all adds up.
high rated
mrkgnao: I feel it too.

Doesn't come as a surprise. The new "look" HTML is big compared to the old one, so every page load for everybody takes longer. Couple this with the larger images and it all adds up.
What I've noticed is that when I open a page or post on the forum, the "Account" and "Cart" part of the top bar take for ever to load.

As for game pages - every time I switch from EUR to USD (and I literally mean every single time I log in, plus it often reverts back while I'm logged in) and I open a game page, it first displays the prices in EUR and switches to USD right when the page loading completes.
high rated
What an ugly change...

Edit: Ugly, steamy, lifeless, rip-offy, monochromatic, unappealing, uninteresting, unimaginative, downgrading, repulsive, vapid, disgusting, insipid, colorless, nauseous, offensive, distasteful, heinous, 50shadesofgreyish, simplistic, simpletonistic, unwieldy, craptastic piece of outrageous change, I wanted to write... ;-)
Post edited September 02, 2014 by vonFreiwaldau
vonFreiwaldau: Edit: Ugly, steamy, lifeless, rip-offy, monochromatic, unappealing, uninteresting, unimaginative, downgrading, repulsive, vapid, disgusting, insipid, colorless, nauseous, offensive, distasteful, heinous, 50shadesofgreyish, simplistic, simpletonistic, unwieldy, craptastic piece of outrageous change, I wanted to write... ;-)
The laddie reckons himself a poet!
high rated
The old one was great, i don't like the new one. So i will visit less often. Why do you always have to change what works perfectly well ?!
Post edited September 02, 2014 by ethelwid
I'm not too fond of the monochrome, but the site definitely looks more together and professional.