It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

New features, local currency option, new payment methods, store credit, and an updated look for GOG.com!

For almost six years now we strive to bring you not only the best in DRM-Free gaming, but also to give you the greatest experience possible. To that end we're always looking for ways to improve our site and service. Today, we're rolling out a vastly updated version of our store with an improved interface, sleek new look, and lots of handy new features. Let's take a quick tour, shall we?

Video: Welcome to the fresher, better GOG.com!

First of all we are giving you more DRM-free content: movies! We are starting with 20 documentaries about internet and gaming culture but we aim high! You can find more on this in the appropriate newspost, so let's focus on the other features we're rolling out.

We wanted to give you more choice as to how you pay for things on GOG.com. Now it's up to you if you want to pay in US Dollars, or in the currency primarily used in your country, whether it's the Euro, Pounds Sterling, Australian Dollars, or Russian Roubles. That's four new currencies supported by GOG.com for your convenience. Still - the choice is yours, so if you want to stick to US dollars, just switch to it - you find this option at the bottom of each page. To make buying things at GOG.com an even more flexible process, we're introducing some new payment methods: Sofort, Giropay, Webmoney, and Yandex.

All this also means that users for whom the local currency pricing has been enabled will have an option to select one of two different prices for each game in our catalog. Of course, we stand by the simple truth that $1 does not equal 1€, so a game with a $5.99 price tag will cost 4.49 Euro, 3.69 British Pounds, 6.49 Australian Dollars, and 219 Roubles respectively. $9.99 translates to 7.49 Euro, 5.99 Pounds Sterling, 10.89 Australian Dollars, and 359 Roubles. In a perfect world we would apply the same method of pricing to all of the games we offer. However, things are a little bit more complicated, and there are some games in our catalog that follow a different region-based pricing scheme. However, we wouldn't be GOG.com if we didn't find a way to make right by the users who end up paying relatively more for such titles. Here's where the Fair Price Package comes in!

The Fair Price Package applies to all of the titles which we couldn't include in our standard pricing scheme. If you end up paying more for a game than its standard US Dollar price, we'll refund you the difference out of our own pocket. The refunded value will be added to your account in Store Credit in the currency of your purchase. That's right, no more gift codes, you'll be getting Store Credit that you can use to purchase anything on GOG.com or partially pay for an item that's more expensive. More choice, ease of use, and less limitations!

Finally, the GOG.com store has gotten itself a substantial visual revamp. We went for a fresh, mobile-friendly design that should make it even easier to find the games you want, notice the hot promos, and see what's new. The main page, catalog view, product pages, and checkout have been updated and also lay the groundwork for even more overhaul, coming within the next few months together with many of the GOG Galaxy features. We hope you like it!

PS. Unfortunately, we need to drop some titles from our classic catalog. In such cases, we always do our best to give you an advance warning and a last chance to purchase such games - preferably with a considerable discount. Check this news post to find out which titles are being removed from our catalog, when will it happen, and what parting discounts for them do we currently offer.
Post edited August 27, 2014 by G-Doc
adamhm: DN

On the subject of gift codes, I just realised I have a bonus code for Shadow Warrior Classic that expires tomorrow, so I'm posting it here so that someone can use it before it expires.

S8
DU

http://www.gog.com/redeem/

4G
And I give you my thanks in return. Cheers!
high rated
I just noticed that when you write a review now, the word limit and the number of words you have left are clearly displayed. That was a good idea.

This is probably the only nice thing I'll ever say about the redesign, so if whoever's responsible for it is reading this thread, you should treasure this moment.
high rated
GOG had nice, unique look - now it looks like many other pages.

It's sad.

I won't comment any "not good" inside changes, because too many of them to list. :(
HypersomniacLive: When a gift code holds more than one games, you're presented with a screen where each game has a check-box next to it. While no game is selected, the "Redeem" button is inactive. Once one or more (even all) games are selected, the "Redeem" button gets active and one can redeem the games they've selected. This means that one can choose to leave games they don't already have on the code for someone else to redeem part or all of them.
Thank you Hypersomniac, that is way better than before. :)
Has there been any bug fixes or site improvements at all today? It really doesn't seem like it. I also have my doubts that any support tickets were handled as well.
EnforcerSunWoo: Has there been any bug fixes or site improvements at all today? It really doesn't seem like it.
They updated some of the links over https to stay https.

Nevermind, that's only on the new pages and was there before.
Post edited September 01, 2014 by Gydion
Very much prefer the old form mainly due to the loss of certain functionality though some of the aesthetic changes are not pleasing.
The wishlist system seems a little wonky now.
Main issue, the navigation has become massive and cluttered.

Not sure how much of this is based off of being on win8 desktop
HypersomniacLive: When a gift code holds more than one games, you're presented with a screen where each game has a check-box next to it. While no game is selected, the "Redeem" button is inactive. Once one or more (even all) games are selected, the "Redeem" button gets active and one can redeem the games they've selected. This means that one can choose to leave games they don't already have on the code for someone else to redeem part or all of them.

Hope it's clear enough, and perhaps someone with such a gift code can take a screenshot for better demonstration (I didn't think of taking one until it was too late).
That's a cool improvement, thanks for the info!
high rated
BJWanlund: Why is everyone crowing about how awful this is? You DO realize you are reinforcing the widely-held belief that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GodHuDstTDQ]nerds don't like change.
I don't hate change. I was fine with GOG adding new games, adding indies, supporting Linux, developing Galaxy. I'm even ok with the addition of movies, though I wish they wouldn't mix them in with games. I wouldn't even mind a good web site redesign, but the new design is horrible. It is not fresher, it is not better looking, it is not friendlier, it is not easier to use, and is definitely not better on mobile. The site is now generic, cold, clunky and a pain to use. I know it will affect how often I stop by now.

And in light of this new 'fresher' direction, I have now purchased Titan Quest DRM free from another store, since it looks like it's no longer coming to GOG.

I won't say I will never buy anything from GOG again, that would be dishonest. However, if GOG wants to look like every other store, then I will now treat it like every other store. Which ever store offers a DRM free title first, or at the best price, will win my sale. The desire to wait for releases to make it to GOG is gone.

I'm not against change, but it seems in going for the new they are forgetting what made them strong. Maybe I'm over reaction, but if I am it's because I really do hate the new site.

I'm dumping most of my windows because of Modern UI, and I dumped Ubuntu because of Unity. Changing it does not mean it's better.
Post edited September 01, 2014 by jalister
high rated
I edited some of my already written points and collected even more 'impressions':

Top bar:
- Give us back our avatars in the top bar. As an user mentioned before: "Am I logged in or not?"
- Make this much too fat top bar smaller/thinner. And on top an other color. Or let us choose, alike the forum color.
- Re-color your "gog.com" icon up left into the known green and orange. Trademark with recall value!
- The search bar up right should not direct to an extra page (while being in the forum).

Gamecards:
- The gamecard rating stars should be bigger and golden, like the reviewers rating. Black is not a good choice for an rating option.
- The review rating stars should be tinged more differently; it's a bit difficult to see if there are 3 or 4 or 5 of them.
- The header of each game is too unobtrusive now and the letters of the games title could be fatter. I liked the former one-liners for each game in the header.
- Up right is space left for the game front covers. If you re-install them (PLEASE!) think about to put in the option to enlarge them to full size with a click. That's an option which I'd like to seen here before...
- The screenshot system has changed to a worse one, don't want to describe what's wrong with, just look at/remember the old.
- The dates of the written reviews and the sorting options should come back.
- No I don't want to "Read more"! Let the game description expanded. Cut the "PEOPLE WHO BOUGHT IT ALSO BOUGHT"-box, 5 - 7 games should be enough there. If anyone is interested, put there a "Read more"! :P
-The information from "Genre" to "Company" should be putted at the header under the game title and rating.

Miscellaneous:
- Wishlist should show the prices and a colorful tag if the games/movies/etc. are on a sale. With the re-colored gog.com logo apparently the most requested point for your to-do-list.
- The whole site is too slow now, at least on my end.
- The site don't memorises if I want to see the games presented as list. Grid is not my cup of tea, I don't want to see it anymore... I'm sure there are a few who are happy with the grid-style, and that's fine. But let me be happy too. ;)
- A nice style would be in the gamecards and games catalog, additional to the 'owned' tag, if you would fade out the colors of the owned games images to errr maybe grey? ;D
- Re-install the heart-button to put a game on the wishlist directly without having to go into the gamecard.

That's it for now.
Post edited September 01, 2014 by gamefood
The site looks really washed out now. All the grey is horribly monotone with differenent sections blending into one another such that you can't tell where one section ends and the next begins. I think it's ugly and makes it a chore to simply look at. There's also still no link to the forum section for the game from the actual game page.
high rated
Welcome to the fresher, better, greyer GOG.com. Now with "You've got some kind of notice but we're NOT gonna tell you which kind! It's funner that way - just try ALL of the drop down list selections until you find your new message or your new forum reply - see wasn't that fun?? We knew you'd love this new feature!!"

"Also, new for you - six inches of grey space combined with our new and improved and GIANT bottom form - every new post drops you down there for a good look at this amazing, three inch feature of the "fresher, better, greyer GOG.com"! We just know you'll love having to scroll back up six inches - try it now - see wasn't that fun?? Don't you love ALL these new features?? We knew you would!"

;-p
BJWanlund: Why is everyone crowing about how awful this is? You DO realize you are reinforcing the widely-held belief that nerds don't like change, correct?
Oooh, how strange, customers of a site that sells games from as far as back as the 80's don't like change...

[Sorry for the sarcasm, maybe you were just joking, but GOG should know better: they can be on the market because they are different. Their customers are desktop lovers, people with 4:3 monitors, maybe some of us still got a cumbersome, multi-res CRT screen... Again: since not long ago, GOG meant "Good Old Games". It's only natural a lot of people wants the "Good Old GOG" website back.]
Momo1991: Welcome to the fresher, better, greyer GOG.com. Now with "You've got some kind of notice but we're NOT gonna tell you which kind! It's funner that way - just try ALL of the drop down list selections until you find your new message or your new forum reply - see wasn't that fun?? We knew you'd love this new feature!!"

"Also, new for you - six inches of grey space combined with our new and improved and GIANT bottom form - every new post drops you down there for a good look at this amazing, three inch feature of the "fresher, better, greyer GOG.com"! We just know you'll love having to scroll back up six inches - try it now - see wasn't that fun?? Don't you love ALL these new features?? We knew you would!"

;-p
Right Momo...This new fresher, better GOG is sooooo much funner. I spend more time here now trying to find things...having a ball not getting aggravated. :-((
Also, I like this greyer depressing look and I even got me a new avatar so that I'd fit in with this new cheerful and happy look. The look of all this cheerfulness makes me want to buy more games :P
Please bring back the ability to see wishlist-marked games from sale lists, and which games are on sale from the wishlist. Having to have two windows up side by side to compare my wishlist to a list of games is _not_ forward progress; it turns the formerly pleasant exercise of browsing sales for wishlist games into a tedious chore. (Tedious chore is not a feeling I want when shopping for things!)

The main page is also very messy now, with even more motion, and the layout is just odd -- it's hard to see what's new. The old layout was cleaner. Change it by all means but don't make it harder to find things, please. It's also much harder to find the ratings on games.

The top bar is way too tall for how little information it now contains. Vertical space is at premium even on desktops but especially on mobile. It's also harder to see if I'm actually logged in or not.

For some reason I had to do a password reset in order to get in on the new site, even though I had no notifications that I would need to do this or that anyone had changed my password. That felt fishy.

I like the addition of movies but lists should let you filter movies or games out, or more clearly delineate between games and movies.

Sorry to not have more positive feedback, but I'm afraid that the change has not been very positive for me. The old site could use improvement, certainly, but some of the features (like showing prices on the wishlist) that are now gone were really useful and I miss them, and I found the general layout easier to navigate. Cleaning up this layout and adding some color back in, plus returning the wishlist cross-referencing, would really improve things.