It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

New features, local currency option, new payment methods, store credit, and an updated look for GOG.com!

For almost six years now we strive to bring you not only the best in DRM-Free gaming, but also to give you the greatest experience possible. To that end we're always looking for ways to improve our site and service. Today, we're rolling out a vastly updated version of our store with an improved interface, sleek new look, and lots of handy new features. Let's take a quick tour, shall we?

Video: Welcome to the fresher, better GOG.com!

First of all we are giving you more DRM-free content: movies! We are starting with 20 documentaries about internet and gaming culture but we aim high! You can find more on this in the appropriate newspost, so let's focus on the other features we're rolling out.

We wanted to give you more choice as to how you pay for things on GOG.com. Now it's up to you if you want to pay in US Dollars, or in the currency primarily used in your country, whether it's the Euro, Pounds Sterling, Australian Dollars, or Russian Roubles. That's four new currencies supported by GOG.com for your convenience. Still - the choice is yours, so if you want to stick to US dollars, just switch to it - you find this option at the bottom of each page. To make buying things at GOG.com an even more flexible process, we're introducing some new payment methods: Sofort, Giropay, Webmoney, and Yandex.

All this also means that users for whom the local currency pricing has been enabled will have an option to select one of two different prices for each game in our catalog. Of course, we stand by the simple truth that $1 does not equal 1€, so a game with a $5.99 price tag will cost 4.49 Euro, 3.69 British Pounds, 6.49 Australian Dollars, and 219 Roubles respectively. $9.99 translates to 7.49 Euro, 5.99 Pounds Sterling, 10.89 Australian Dollars, and 359 Roubles. In a perfect world we would apply the same method of pricing to all of the games we offer. However, things are a little bit more complicated, and there are some games in our catalog that follow a different region-based pricing scheme. However, we wouldn't be GOG.com if we didn't find a way to make right by the users who end up paying relatively more for such titles. Here's where the Fair Price Package comes in!

The Fair Price Package applies to all of the titles which we couldn't include in our standard pricing scheme. If you end up paying more for a game than its standard US Dollar price, we'll refund you the difference out of our own pocket. The refunded value will be added to your account in Store Credit in the currency of your purchase. That's right, no more gift codes, you'll be getting Store Credit that you can use to purchase anything on GOG.com or partially pay for an item that's more expensive. More choice, ease of use, and less limitations!

Finally, the GOG.com store has gotten itself a substantial visual revamp. We went for a fresh, mobile-friendly design that should make it even easier to find the games you want, notice the hot promos, and see what's new. The main page, catalog view, product pages, and checkout have been updated and also lay the groundwork for even more overhaul, coming within the next few months together with many of the GOG Galaxy features. We hope you like it!

PS. Unfortunately, we need to drop some titles from our classic catalog. In such cases, we always do our best to give you an advance warning and a last chance to purchase such games - preferably with a considerable discount. Check this news post to find out which titles are being removed from our catalog, when will it happen, and what parting discounts for them do we currently offer.
Post edited August 27, 2014 by G-Doc
gamefood: I wouldn't say so, because I remember pretty good I had open diverse threads and at least two reply/post-boxes several times... hmm... If that was a bug, then it was a very good and helpful one. ;)
VanishedOne: I don't know about multiple threads; I definitely could never get more than one reply box at once for the same thread, though.
Ah, alright then that's the solution :)

Another point to fix. It's how shmerl wrote:

shmerl: Forum needs a serious overhaul in general. There are too many issues with it to enumerate. :snip:
gamefood: I wouldn't say so, because I remember pretty good I had open diverse threads and at least two reply/post-boxes several times... hmm... If that was a bug, then it was a very good and helpful one. ;)
VanishedOne: I don't know about multiple threads; I definitely could never get more than one reply box at once for the same thread, though.
yep that's a problem two ways at least.

first, it's impossible to reply to multiple posts at the same time. now, I might be fine with that, because you want people to focus on what they're doing at the time. but it does go against the user when you're already motivating them to reply to multiple posts at once in the case of when they have more than one forum notification.

second, there is no multiquote feature, and the inability to open more than one reply tab at once means that you have to use copy/paste perhaps in conjunction with a text editor to manage a multi-quote reply. that's kind of annoying.
HypersomniacLive: As a side note, you still haven't told us if the Galaxy client will also include the functionality and features of the current GOG Downloader; this is quite important since you (GOG) stated that it (GOG Downloader) will be ditched. The constant pushing of how the Galaxy client will allow direct installation and patching makes me lean more and more towards that it won't.
If this constant steam-like pushing data without providing full installers turns out to be true, I won't ever buy a game on GOG again.

I had high hopes on the Galaxy client, but due to this redesign here, all is crushed.
Post edited September 17, 2014 by coffeecup
coffeecup: If this constant steam-like pushing data without providing full installers turns out to be true, I won't ever buy a game on GOG again.
Damn right! Sure, they'll tell us that we have the direct browser download, but we all know that downloading modern games with 20GB+ of data will only result corrupt downloads. Not everyone is blessed with ISPs offering unlimited downloads and after this happens once or twice, customers will stick to older games (which goes against GOG's current business strategy) or stop buying (the worst outcome for GOG).

I'd very much like to know how much TET knew about these development and what role it had (if any) in him going away from GOG and finding a job somewhere else. Let's not forget that the man saved GOG from its horrible marketing in 2010 and now it seems they are doing it all over it again. Plus the Witcher 3 is starting to show signs of consolitis, making me seriously doubt how much "old PC gamer" creed CDProjekt still has.
de_Monteynard: Damn right! Sure, they'll tell us that we have the direct browser download, but we all know that downloading modern games with 20GB+ of data will only result corrupt downloads. Not everyone is blessed with ISPs offering unlimited downloads and after this happens once or twice, customers will stick to older games (which goes against GOG's current business strategy) or stop buying (the worst outcome for GOG).

I'd very much like to know how much TET knew about these development and what role it had (if any) in him going away from GOG and finding a job somewhere else. Let's not forget that the man saved GOG from its horrible marketing in 2010 and now it seems they are doing it all over it again. Plus the Witcher 3 is starting to show signs of consolitis, making me seriously doubt how much "old PC gamer" creed CDProjekt still has.
Thats damn true! And concerning TET, it's EXACTLY the thoughts that I had...
I would like to know what he thinks about this relaunch... Hey TET, come around, log in for a beer or two, and tell us! :)
nm
Post edited September 18, 2014 by WhiteElk
HypersomniacLive: As a side note, you still haven't told us if the Galaxy client will also include the functionality and features of the current GOG Downloader; this is quite important since you (GOG) stated that it (GOG Downloader) will be ditched.
Are they ditching the GOG Downloader? Where did they say it? I missed it. Don't do it! I love it, it feels lightweight and functional! Please! Don't let me choose between either a cumbersome client or manual download. GOG downloader is already there, and doing its job - just don't take it away!

tburger: Bright side of introduced changes: it seems that if I use EUR as a payment currency I pay 6,6% less for a game than if I use USD. Likely because my bank used to charge me extra if settlement currency was other than PLN or EUR.

It's not much but, nevertheless - nice :-D
Yeah, the new site sucks at a 360° angle, but the currency selection - I've already stated it before - is something great, and I doubt that any other retailer has something like it. And that's the result of GOG listening to their customers (myself included), so I especially appreciate it.

EDIT: syntax (or is it grammar? Whatever: bad English).
Post edited September 18, 2014 by theMole4
high rated
theMole4: Are they ditching the GOG Downloader? Where did they say it? I missed it. Don't do it! I love it, it feels lightweight and functional! Please! Don't let me choose between either a cumbersome client or manual download. GOG downloader is already there, and doing its job - just don't take it away!

[...]
Here.
high rated
HypersomniacLive: Here.
Well, thanks HypersomniacLive, even if that's bad news.

GOG, what are you saying? GOG downloader is just a widget, Galaxy sounds more like a platform. Buzzwords aside, Galaxy is easily going to be more cumbersome than downloader. When you announced "Hey, we're going to launch Galaxy", I cheered. "I might check that out, that could be cool", I thought. But now I will have to install it, to retain the same functionality as the nimble GOG downloader. Come on, it makes no sense! It's really that hard to mantain a piece of software that is just a subset of a larger platform?

I really don't understand you, GOG. I thought your customers were happy the way you were. I was. Did someone complain about the site not being enough "mobile friendly"? Did someone complain about the way the site felt & looked? Did someone complain about the GOG downloader, or the lack of a more complex platform? You give the impression of being fed bad advice, that someone is telling you that you have to change to... I don't know, to "keep up with the market", to "survive competition"...

I don't know: except for the freedom of choosing the buying currency, I've got the feeling that you are doing all the wrong changes, for the sake of a stupid, conformist vision that says "business can be done just one way", ignoring the fact that whoever lives in an ecological (or market) niche is almost always better off than those competing in the "mainstream" ecosystem (or market).

Well, TL;DR: just fuckin' leave GOG downloader alone, PLEASE, you've just raped up your site badly enough already!

LISTEN TO US!
Post edited September 18, 2014 by theMole4
Anybody noticed on the frontpage that the news section is now limited to 2 weeks time period. Older news then that can't be looked up so its not possible to see any older news and the transparency of the site suffers.
Matruchus: Anybody noticed on the frontpage that the news section is now limited to 2 weeks time period. Older news then that can't be looked up so its not possible to see any older news and the transparency of the site suffers.
Well GOG did not get the information that their blue print where they are copycatting from has a news archive where you can look up news starting from the very beginning of their platform.

Sorry, but I lost all faith in GOG due seeing many copied things from the Steam website, but only really clumsy ways instead of building on iterating on their own ways.
theMole4: I really don't understand you, GOG. I thought your customers were happy the way you were. I was. Did someone complain about the site not being enough "mobile friendly"? Did someone complain about the way the site felt & looked? Did someone complain about the GOG downloader, or the lack of a more complex platform? You give the impression of being fed bad advice, that someone is telling you that you have to change to... I don't know, to "keep up with the market", to "survive competition"...
The sad part is GOG got started by NOT doing what everyone else was. GOG was recognized for doing things differently and better than the other stores. It makes no sense to now start copying the competition. If your chasing the competition by following the competition you will always be chasing them. Stay better, stay different... oh, too late.
Destro: It's purely a wording thing. You could probably argue as well that online connection is actually required to play if a game has a multi-player component and this is what you want to play. Furthermore, the optional Galaxy Client will allow you to install games directly from GOG servers as well as patch them, so you could also argue that online connection is required not just for downloading but also for installation in such case. But it's a technical and wording thing, not any change in how we understand DRM or how our standalone installers work.

[...]
HypersomniacLive: I didn't even make a connection to the Galaxy client, but the fact you did and the arguments you used doing so are quite telling.
It's not purely a wording or/ and technical thing, it's actually more a marketing thing, i.e. the wording is carefully chosen to address and appeal to the Steam-trained crowds (possibly Origin/ Uplay/ name_of_client_here, too), the people that are trained and used to install and patch their games while being online and only/ mostly (if at all) care about being able to play while being offline.
Had I made the connection to the Galaxy client, I'd have thought of it already, and would have posted a different comment.

As a side note, you still haven't told us if the Galaxy client will also include the functionality and features of the current GOG Downloader; this is quite important since you (GOG) stated that it (GOG Downloader) will be ditched. The constant pushing of how the Galaxy client will allow direct installation and patching makes me lean more and more towards that it won't.
I would also like to know if Galaxy will allow us to download all our files like the current downloader does, or does using Galaxy only provide installation of games like Steam does? I really like the current downloader. It does exactly what I want it to, make downloading my installers and extras easier. The downloader is lean enough that I can even use it at work where we have great bandwidth. I can't see me installing Galaxy at work.

So far this is looking like just another change on the list of things I didn't ask for and didn't want. I can't think of one recent change that has been made that I liked, and I don't mind change if it's actually better.

1. The new site on desktop - Don't like it. It's generic and looks like so many another sites.
2. The new site on mobile - Clunky and cumbersome on my mobile.
3. Movies - Nothing that I'm even vaguely interested in so far, and wouldn't even watch if it was free.
4. Pricing changes - It doesn't affect me, except for the loss of 35 games.
5. Galaxy - I was neutral, and may have tried it. However, this is looking like another negative, see 6...
6. Removing the downloader - This isn't just a change, you are taking away something many of us like and use. I don't want a client that installs my games for me. I just want something that simplifies downloading my games and the extras. How hard is it to maintain the downloader? It does one job well, and shouldn't need constant updates.

I keep coming to the forums in hopes of seeing some news I may actually like, but the negative list just keeps getting longer.
Matruchus: Anybody noticed on the frontpage that the news section is now limited to 2 weeks time period. Older news then that can't be looked up so its not possible to see any older news and the transparency of the site suffers.
coffeecup: Well GOG did not get the information that their blue print where they are copycatting from has a news archive where you can look up news starting from the very beginning of their platform.

Sorry, but I lost all faith in GOG due seeing many copied things from the Steam website, but only really clumsy ways instead of building on iterating on their own ways.
I'm losing faith too. Some people just don't seem to get what copying accomplishes. If GOG copies Steam, people that want Steam will just use Steam. I joined GOG in 2008 because it was nothing like Steam. I don't even want to get started on how I feel the site is like the Google store.

This is just bad from both sides. On the other side, Steam users aren't going to all of a sudden say "oh look, GOG looks like Steam now, let's go there". From what I see, Steam users want all their games on one platform, and some also have a long list of friends there. Good luck trying to grab a chunk of those users.

On this side, you have a strong and loyal customer base. Many of us are here because we don't want Steam. GOG provided something different; DRM free only and good customer support. From my experience, these two things are exactly opposite of what Steam provides. My feeling is this recent list of changes is alienating a significant portion of your long time customers.

I'm not saying don't change, or don't add features. What I am saying is don't copy the others. Stay unique. GOG wouldn't be as big as it is today if it launched as a copy of Steam.
theMole4: Are they ditching the GOG Downloader? Where did they say it?
The bigger question is, are they ditching the current downloader API / protocol? If not, then lgogdownloader will still work. And if yes, it will be useless and if GOG won't open Galaxy protocol, your only option will be the browser.

See:

* https://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/release_the_future_gog_updater_client_as_open_source
* https://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/document_the_protocol_and_api_of_the_galaxy_updater_client_to_enable_community_alternatives