It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Level Up!

The <span class="bold">Weekly Sale: The First of Many</span> is leveling up!
Joining the sale are the fantastic, retro point & click adventures from Wadjet Eye (you've got to try Technobabylon, Gemini Rue, and Shardlight) as well as a few true adventure classics including Simon The Sorcerer and The Feeble Files.

Don't forget – there are just a few days left to grab what you want!

One full week of wicked-good offers: Up to 80% off Leisure Suit Larry, Pan-Pan, Cannon Fodder & more to come!

Our weekly sales are changing!
We know that you've enjoyed the loosely-themed Weekly Staff Picks and the grand Weekend Promos - we did too. But after nearly two years of fighting the good fight, it's time to morph into something bigger, stronger, maybe even better: our mighty Weekly Sale!

Launching every Monday, each Weekly Sale will last for seven days. It's a selection of games we know you'll love – but if you don't see anything you fancy right off the bat, don't fret: we'll add another batch of super-good offers every Friday.

<span class="bold">Weekly Sale: The First of Many</span> features games with plenty of drama and heartbreak, unexpected tales, and intriguing mysteries. Get right to it with the first round of offers for up to 80% off, including Overlord, Pan-Pan, Shelter, Leisure Suit Larry, and more!

The sale will last until January 9, 5:00 PM UTC.
Ok so I made this : https://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/bring_back_the_old_weekennd_weeksale_format
Voted.
gamesfreak64: --
Did you know that Steams weeklong deals are 75% (if not more) are always the same games?
I was bored cause steam has always same weeklongdeals so i took the time to browse all those pages and i noticed:

Steam shows 4 to 8 times(or more) the exact same game on differnt pages on different positions, which means that sometimes one DLC / game is shown 12 times accros all the week long deal pages, now that is a way to fill up pages and get 300 or more deals :D

Steam has loads of shovelware, 50 cent stuff that is so bad you dont want it even if they gave you store credit , unless it would be 5 euros or 10 euros(or more) for each 50 cent shovelware game.

So what i do is filter all these deals only for casual, adventure and click and point and add a filter hidden object this leaves 1 to 4 pages from the sometimes 15 or more pages.

The only real deals they have are the big ones: fall/winter summer if they have those, then 1000s of products are cheap and that is very interesting.
--
Prolence: With steam, for that exact reason, I tend to mainly use my wishlist to see if those are included in a weekly sale.

There are some less known titles at times that are discounted, mainly some Visual/Kinetic Novels or stuff like Enslaved Odyssey to the West etc, but most of the others aren't something I'm really interested in. Also the fact that the same games appears several times within the same weekly sale list, just puts me off from wanting to look it through. Not to mention all the DLC that it may include. At least to me, it's not really user friendly and I most likely miss something I may have liked, just because it's such a mess to browse through.

Just to throw this as my experience with steam's weekly discounts system. So even if GOG has way less titles in general, I do appreaciate them a lot more in that regard, which again, is a completely subjective matter.
I also use a wishlist myself cause steam is such a big complicated 'mess'.

As for Visual/Kinetic Novels: i dont really like them, imho these are not games they are an interactive click book like the ones they used to make for small kids in order to learn them things and for this group it is a very good option, for anyone older then 13 i cant recommend them , and they are usally overpriced.

For me it is easy:

AAA games ( the ones they create nowadays) 'fall' of the list , they are to expensive, 99% is 3d, has zooming or other motion related animations which makes my stomach turn (game motionsickness)
If they arent 3d or FPP they will have to many special ligting effects which is a no for me aswell, this saves me a lot on the good old wallet :D

So after i filtered these out there is not much left: only casual games like Alawar has ( non 3d) and HOG (hidden object games)mostly from Artifex Mundi

Sometimes i find some 'different' games like battle ship games , real simple but fun games and usually cheap (2 to 3.99 euros at sales)

Anyway it doesnt really matter what kind of sales we have or in what form, as long as there are games i like and can play (no 3d fpp and the likes) , its okay.
Prolence: By looking at the list? They put the new games right after the games that's been there since monday.
Good observation. I usually sort the games by title or by user rating, so I did not see that (and would not have expected it). I'm not even sure if I would have realized it with the sort order set to recommendation, so a little hint from GOG how to get the list of added games would have been helpful. ;)
Post edited January 08, 2017 by eiii
Prolence: By looking at the list? They put the new games right after the games that's been there since monday.
eiii: Good observation. I usually sort the games by title or by user rating, so I did not see that (and would not have expected it). I'm not even sure if I would have realized it with the sort order set to recommendation, so a little hint from GOG how to get the list of added games would have been helpful. ;)
Wouldn't mind extra clarification with that. Afterall the clearer it is, the better it would be for us. They'll probably change it a bit, as it's been an issue for many it seems. Hopefully something happens with that one.
I wonder what games will be on sale from tomorrow .
Painted_Doll: I wonder what games will be on sale from tomorrow .
I wonder if the format will change in any way or they'll continue the test as it is.
Of course they'll mainly be looking at sales numbers, not what people say...
gamesfreak64: Sometimes i find some 'different' games like battle ship games, real simple but fun games and usually cheap (2 to 3.99 euros at sales)
Try Battle Group series.
gamesfreak64: Sometimes i find some 'different' games like battle ship games, real simple but fun games and usually cheap (2 to 3.99 euros at sales)
OPstrator: Try Battle Group series.
I know them they look very nice, but its realtime, i'm old and i never been that good with realtime games, most of my games are turnbased, so simple graphics is okay for me.
gamesfreak64: I know them they look very nice, but its realtime, i'm old and i never been that good with realtime games, most of my games are turnbased, so simple graphics is okay for me.
Ah, OK. Sorry, didn't know that.
fables22: Ummmm, as for post update - there's not been one as far as I'm aware. Although it's quite likely website are working on something on the forum which could've caused it. I'll need to investigate if more people have issues. Thanks for flagging it up.
It has been fixed! Yay! It seems like it was related to the attachment button not working, too. (Though maybe it was a coincidence that they happened at about the same time.)
Well seeing the format play out a week and being in the second week I can affirm I am not fond of this form thus far.

I am still waiting till Friday to see how it plays out, but what I am seeing this suggest is that it will follow very predictable themes.

For example this weeks "theme" is going to be Team17 Digital LTD. , Blue Moon Red Owl, 1C, ect games with the upgrade seeming to be select games from these pubs inexplicably left off like several selections from 1C, and Worms: Armageddon. We will see if that is true Friday.

If this is how the upgrade comes to pass then yes, Seems what I suspected it was going to be and thus seems to still be detrimental to the long term situation.

Even under the old system There were many weeks where I wish there had been a bonus promo going on because the weekend theme was one that didn't interest me and left me chomping at the bit for Monday to hopefully get a better theme. Making the theme last literally twice as long makes it quite a lot longer time waiting for something to arrive that may or may not materialize.
Post edited January 09, 2017 by viranimus
I completely forgot that there were new games on sale this weekend. I don't think this is a very good idea, and I don't understand how anyone is benefiting from this.
Post edited January 09, 2017 by BadDecissions
I'm lost. We get more time to buy the games on sale. The sale even goes a few hours into the next sale so you can decide if you're tight on money. Yes the games added on the weekend could be more clearly displayed, but otherwise i don't see anything wrong.

So why is everyone not liking this?

Edit: All they'd have to do is post a news story on the weekend with the added games to the sale and the problem would be fixed for the most part.
Post edited January 09, 2017 by user deleted
Geralt_of_Rivia: I have to agree with what was said numerous times in this thread.

There is nothing wrong with calling the old staff picks weekly sale and extending them through the weekend. But there is everything wrong with simply adding the weekend sale to the weekly sale.

*) The newly added games practically get zero exposure. If you didn't read and remember the news announcement you wouldn't know that games get added on Friday. So if you come online and just see the old sale from Monday and no weekend sale most people wouldn't check a sale they have already checked during the week again.

*) Even if you do know and remember that games get added on Friday, good luck finding out which they are! Lumping all games together on one list without emphasizing which games are new just leads to tedious double checking.

*) When people try to avoid double checking by the most obvious method by simply checking the sale after the new games were added on Friday the whole purpose of letting the weekly sale run longer is defeated since the customers will only have the weekend to decide what they want.

And creating such problems when all three problems could have easily been avoided is honestly a bit mind boggling. Eiither...

1) by leaving the weekly sale as is and make a separate weekend sale or
2) by putting all games of the week on sale on Monday, thus not only extending the staff picks but also the weekend sale and putting them together to form the weekly sale.
I was going to write a big post about this, but Geralt_of_Rivia already said it better than I possibly could. This new format gives decreased visibility to the weekend-sale games, which leads to less sales than those games would have had otherwise. It's a shame that of all the companies whose sales could have been negatively impacted by this decreased visibility, it was Wadjet Eye Games this past weekend, because all of Wadjet Eye's games are fantastic (well, almost all of them are fantastic). I hope GOG plans to make this up to Wadjet Eye at some point with some prominent front-page placement or something like that.