It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Up to 75% off TotalBiscuit's favorites: Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Pharaoh + Cleopatra and more.

Love him or hate him, TotalBiscuit is a force to be reckoned with. He's the guy that millions of gamers listen to on a daily basis - whether it's first impressions, reviews, or his trademark cynical commentary on industry news, ins and outs - The Cynical Brit's influence on a generation of gamers can be hotly debated, but never denied. Today, we take a look at some of his favorites, his top bites, the 30+ games that <span class="bold">TotalBiscuit Recommends</span>:

From the creative minds of Chris Avellone, Tim Cain and Josh Sawyer comes Pillars of Eternity, where adventure continues beyond the gate. It's a critically lauded revival of the classic cRPG in the vein of Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale, to call it Obsidian Entertainment's spiritual sequel would be an understatement. Of course, that's not the only modern revival of old school favourites - Wasteland 2 is a sequel to the historic 1988 title that redefined RPG gameplay and inspired legendary titles like Fallout - full of multipathed quest solving, choice, consequence and maturity. Brilliant storytelling isn't just an RPG domain - classic point and click adventures like The Longest Journey or its big, action-adventure sister Dreamfall: The Longest Journey are known for featuring some of the most unique universes and best written tales in gaming. The list just goes on with some of absolutely top releases in gaming history including S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat, Mount & Blade, Pharaoh + Cleopatra, and so much more!

See TotalBiscuit's own take on this promo's biggest highlights!
<iframe width="775" height="436" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NwiFN8Ddj34" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This weekend, <span class="bold">TotalBiscuit Recommends</span> some of his favourite games ever. Check them out in our weekend promo, with deals up to 75% off lasting until Tuesday, July 21, 3:59 AM GMT.
Post edited July 17, 2015 by Konrad
While I don't have 'obsession' with fps locks, I do find them outdated and stupid. It shouldn't happen on PC versions, and it's good to let people know that it's fps locked, as well as act as a bit of an 'incentive' towards devs to not do that crap. It wouldn't exactly make ME stop buying the game, but I think it's good that it exists as an info, in fact I'd suggest the devs doing it write it up somewhere in description.

I also see no reason to blame someone for saying 'I won't buy your game if it has FPS lock', it's a valid complaint, it's simply that I have 99 other things that I care about when I'm looking at the game, so I don't particularly care (gameplay, replayability, fun, blah blah whatever).

Frankly I blame devs for not making it clear initially, steam for not allowing such data to be posted clearly, and complainers for 'omg censorship' kneejerk reaction to something that doesn't even affect anyone that actually cares to follow the curator. You CAN see the 30fps police if you follow it so calling it censorship is abuse/devaluation of the word, there are way more cases of ACTUAL censorship, which I will fight against any day. It's is simply counter productive on all levels and for all parties.
high rated
Gnostic: When I am younger people tell me not to play games because I should spend my time studying / working / exercise / social life.

When I am older people tell me not to play games because bigotry / discrimination / animal killer / reviewer sucks / and various political reason.
Vainamoinen: "People" – game fans like you and me – are telling you, explicitly, that it's all right to play these games and have all the fun in the world with them, but to be aware of some possibly problematic aspects.

They explicitly DON'T tell us not to play games.

And they explicitly DON'T tell us that we're bad persons because we do.

It's a rather common misconception, and while people can be avid gamers without becoming involved with any of the present cultural conflict, at least people should get rid of those basic misconceptions about the criticism that is voiced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y8XgGhXkTQ
(All six parts are well worth watching)
That's just playing with words, is the same if you say this and that game is bad because of [insert political reason here]. Do you want me to rephrase into

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When I am younger people tell me playing games is bad because it will mess up studying / working / exercise / social life.

When I am older people tell me playing games is bad because it will mess up my mind with bigotry / discrimination / animal killer / reviewer sucks / and various political reason.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To be fair, 18 rated video games influence is not much different than 18 rated TV show, books, radio. To someone that cannot differentiate reality and fairy tale, and with little rational thinking of their own, then it is probably bad, like little kids and people in the suicide bomber training camp. But you cannot treat everyone like them.
low rated
Gnostic: When I am older people tell me playing games is bad because it will mess up my mind with bigotry / discrimination / animal killer / reviewer sucks / and various political reason.
That's not the criticism that's voiced, because opposed to the first parental batch, it's not coming from the outside of fandom, it's coming from the inside. Viewing the second kind of criticism just like the first means not having grown out of that juvenile mindset, that extreme feeling of being judged and being the outsider, and it means not being able to understand actual criticism of narrative media.

Video games as a medium is too huge to be criticized this way. It definitely was small enough 30 years ago, when I grew up, and of course that offhand criticism sticks. But today's detail criticism is fundamentally different, especially because the entire medium is never condemned, and even single games very seldom are.

Movies and books have been criticised exactly like that for 50, heck, hundreds of years, and of course it were always the aficinados of the medium who did the criticism. Did anyone say: "these critics are telling me books will mess up my mind"? That doesn't make sense.

That games today are subjected to this kind of detail criticism, this kind of scrutiny towards their narrative as opposed to the 'child with the bathwater' parental rejection of old, that is a sign of the growing respect for the medium, a confirmation of its cultural relevance in itself.

We are talking about some aspects of games, just aspects, period. Your enjoyment of those games even with those aspects is not judged, not condemned: It is a given. The mutual enjoyment of games is in fact the very basis of that criticism, and you can not understand the criticism unless you have understood the basis of this criticism first.

Watch the first minute of any Tropes vs. Women video and witness how Sarkeesian makes that explicitly clear. Read e.g. Leigh Alexander's latest article, a long and detailed appraisal of Final Fantasy VII and her very geeky tearful reaction to the remake announcement (and of course FF VII has 'problematic aspects' as we are all aware).

Or look e.g. at the few Witcher 3 reviews that criticise female portrayals – and still award it excellent ratings from 8.0 to 8.5. These people are absolutely praising the game, are definitely asking you to play it and STILL you seem to think they insinuate it would 'mess you up'. That can't be right, can it?

Which is what TotalBiscuit continuously fails to teach people. And he really, really should start with that stat. He has that responsibility, in my opinion.
Post edited July 22, 2015 by Vainamoinen
Gnostic: When I am older people tell me playing games is bad because it will mess up my mind with bigotry / discrimination / animal killer / reviewer sucks / and various political reason.
Vainamoinen: That's not the criticism that's voiced, because opposed to the first parental batch, it's not coming from the outside of fandom, it's coming from the inside. Viewing the second kind of criticism just like the first means not having grown out of that juvenile mindset, that extreme feeling of being judged and being the outsider, and it means not being able to understand actual criticism of narrative media.

Video games as a medium is too huge to be criticized this way. It definitely was small enough 30 years ago, when I grew up, and of course that offhand criticism sticks. But today's detail criticism is fundamentally different, especially because the entire medium is never condemned, and even single games very seldom are.

Movies and books have been criticised exactly like that for 50, heck, hundreds of years, and of course it were always the aficinados of the medium who did the criticism. Did anyone say: "these critics are telling me books will mess up my mind"? That doesn't make sense.

That games today are subjected to this kind of detail criticism, this kind of scrutiny towards their narrative as opposed to the 'child with the bathwater' parental rejection of old, that is a sign of the growing respect for the medium, a confirmation of its cultural relevance in itself.

We are talking about some aspects of games, just aspects, period. Your enjoyment of those games even with those aspects is not judged, not condemned: It is a given. The mutual enjoyment of games is in fact the very basis of that criticism.

Watch the first minute of any Tropes vs. Women video and witness how Sarkeesian says that explicitly.

Or look e.g. at the few Witcher 3 reviews that criticise female portrayals – and still award it excellent ratings from 8.0 to 8.5. These people are absolutely praising the game, are definitely asking you to play it and STILL you seem to think they insinuate it would 'mess you up'. That can't be right, can it?

Which is what TotalBiscuit continuously fails to teach people. And he really, really should start with that stat. He has that responsibility, in my opinion.
Sarkeesian is making good money being a Con Actress, a pretty good one by the way, feed by the angry mob she constantly try to inflame (with a pretty good rate of success), is amazing how "SJW" also take the bait... because PIXELS can transform you into a white hetero-patriarch... yeaaaaahhh sure... at least TB is making money without concealing what he really is or acting like a neo-puritan, because if Sarkeesian has any philosophy attached to her, is pure puritanism.

"Because some games could affect your life" it definitively sounds like when people said that from smoking weed you will finish dead by heroine. And most part of people that was targeted with this messages never ever smoked weed...

Sarkeesian, someone that criticizes everything moderately famous to create traffic, from a feminist action movie like MAD MAX, just another opportunity to push the wheel again, to say that "bitch" or "cunt" is an hetero-patriarchal insult on the Witcher 3, and totally out of place because push women out of the industry...but hey! Life is Strange is one of her curated games on STEAM, and as long as I played the game, the main character is called BITCH several times...

Is pretty sad that the angry mob hoaxed her, threatened her, or insulted her, feeding one of the major actual frauds of the game industry. But is even more sad that smart people think she is doing anything to promote real feminism.

Cigarette industry did the same decades ago, when men started to leave smoking, they decided that FEMINISM were will be the main pillar of their money making industry, because YEAH! cigarettes and video-games are the main channel to fight for human rights!!!

Stupidity has no fucking limits...

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/10/10/big-tobaccos-spin-on-womens-liberation/

http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/2008/10/14/the-smoking-feminist/

http://tobaccocontrol.bmj.com/content/14/3/172.full

But sure! Sarkeesian is changing the world, specially the muslim and the african world, where women really have problems, she is not even changing a bit home gender violence... but she is making good money.

Because PIXELS...
Post edited July 22, 2015 by YaTEdiGo
wvpr: They are appealing to his fanbase as part of their overall marketing plan. They aren't catering to his fanbase at the expense of everyone else.
OK, I guess we're safe then.

wvpr: Suppose, for instance, that the more radicalized TB fans start a "consumer revolt" demanding that GOG drop some hated publishers. If there's a lot of overlap between GOG customers and TB fans, GOG would have to give their protest a lot of weight.
Suppose Licurg insisted GOG decapitated everyone who liked Sacrifice. Suppose he had a big enough group of supporters here for that to matter. In such circumstances GOG would need to weigh in on the situation, right?

Yes, but the scenario is ludicrous. Getting rid of certain publishers from the store? For what reason and what purpose? Of course, of course: this is only a HYPOTHETICAL scenario...

wvpr: That's an extreme example. It's more realistic to assume a strong TB contingent will influence sales and forum culture more subtly, less overtly. Skewing the population more towards that fanbase links the needs of the site with that fanbase.
OK, here's the deal: you seem to be suggesting that if *something* happens, *something* bad will follow. You're trying to avoid explicitly saying "and that's terrible", but you can either mean it or not. If you don't think anything bad will happen as a result, then your entire line of reasoning goes out the window, because there would be absolutely no harm done. If you do suspect harm may come, there are some very basic questions that need answering.
1* How big of a percentage of GOG customers would need to constitute TB fans for this to be a problem?
2* How militant would all these people have to be for it to be a problem?
3* What sort of actions would they have to undertake or support for there to be a problem?
4* How many of them would need to have the same views and how much would they have to agree to successfully work together?
5* How would you describe TB's fans? He's got over 2 million subscribers on YouTube, though that's not necessarily how many people watch him or like him. What do all these people have in common? Note - they very well might be trends among this population. On average his fans are people in their 30s and late 20s, and so on... Still - I would love to hear you justify the idea that TB's fans are, say, evil people. If they do not share negative traits that might have an impact on GOG... your argument falls apart.

wvpr: They don't need TB, his fans, his opponents, or anyone else setting the tone of GOG's website.
Let me blow your mind with a counter-perspective: in my eyes TB is mostly just a sane every-man.
He cares about PC gaming, takes issue with things like DRM, framerate locks, insufficiently populated option menus... He's just good at what he does. He's honest and tries to be as impartial as humanly possible.
I would hardly consider him a divisive figure.

Again - enlighten me - what "tone"? How is he setting it? His videos about games are videos about games.

wvpr: But it may back them into a corner down the line. I don't know because I can't foretell the future.
Well, maybe you should stop acting like you can.
You may get hit by a truck tomorrow and bleed out on the pavement. Will that happen? I don't know... I can't foretell the future either...

wvpr: TB's public image is already not stellar.
I would beg to differ.
Would you like to back your claims up with some evidence? Any details of his misconduct and why people SHOULD NOT trust him or like him?
I understand that there is a group of people who hate his guts, but that's probably true of any public figure. Can you show me that I should care what that group thinks and that they are the hyper-consumers this store needs so desperately that cutting ties with TB would be the smart thing to do?

wvpr: Words like "hugbox" are also loaded buzzwords implying a lot more than anything I said.
Quite right. I've used it deliberately and successfully... you didn't. Here's why:
In communication a message is sent and received. The person sending the message should keep in mind who he is sending the message to; context matters. The message should be worded accordingly. It should be formed in a way likely to be understood, likely to convey the original intention of the author. While wording may seem to be superficial decoration on top of a semantic cake, this is not necessarily the case. First of all - some rhetoric may simply put certain people off. Those who won't stop listening with act with a heightened sense of criticism, and in some cases they may even miss your point entirely while ripping your message to shreds based on the sentiment they believe you to hold. You may consider it the fault of hostile misinterpreters, but what's the point in antagonizing them when it can, at all, be avoided? If you can express the same idea in a multitude of ways, you should probably pick one that will make the most people from the target group understand your idea and see your point of view... Unless you are, of course, trolling, in which case - go nuts.

wvpr: Reactionary is a longstanding term that nicely encapsulates the kind of person I was talking about.
It constitutes something I like to refer to as a "general purpose insult". In that sense it's among the ranks of words like "fascist" and "edgy". These words may have had certain meanings, but meaning is use, and their frivolous application has led to a situation in which they are no longer used to describe but merely to antagonize.
As you may be aware, words carry two loads - an intellectual one and an emotional one. They explain certain things, elucidate on one hand, but they also express sentiments and feelings on the other. The specifics of both depend on the crowd you are in. Let me give you an example to drive this point home even further:
People on /pol/ are fond of the term "degeneracy". To them it seems like a perfectly fine word that expresses their thoughts succinctly. They use this term among themselves, understand it, and everything is peachy. What they DON'T do is go out into the wide world and punctuate arguments by using this term. Most people avoid using "degeneracy" in this manner, because doing so would out them (rightfully or not) as /pol/ members or sympathizers, and in most social circles that's not considered prestigious (to say the least). In simpler terms, one might say it's not "appropriate".
Even if your word is fairly well defined in some contexts, this may not necessarily hold in others. For instance - Ruth Benedict uses the term "deviant" to denote a person straying from the beaten path ("de via") of social norms. If you look the term up, that's even the dictionary definition you will end up with. However, in most social circles there is a strong stigma attached to this word, and few people will consider your verbal act purely descriptive if you call someone a deviant without explaining the technicality of the term in advance.
tl;dr: use words in appropriate contexts.
By using the term "reactionary" you're not doing yourself any favors HERE; you're painting a huge target on your back. This is not a term people here use or like. If you want to express the same ideas that certain people on other websites would instantly get from your usage of the term "reactionary", you're going to have to work around the word, perhaps even providing detailed examples and exhaustive descriptions. If you cannot do that and still have the same impact, then you are actually using a buzzword... but that's not the worst part. If that's the case, you're using a buzzword in a place where it doesn't work (and are surprised at the results?).

wvpr: You clearly understood what I meant by it, and there's no disputing there are some very vocal gamers that fall into that category. I was careful to refer to them separately from TB and his total followers.
OK, let's not beat around the bush anymore... Let's get something tangible and evident.
Do you consider me a "reactionary", as you put it?
Are all "reactionaries" bad? / Is it bad to be a "reactionary"?
Is everyone who uses the (similarly nebulous) term "SJW" a reactionary?
This is pretty much the clincher, because if you say I am a reactionary, you either have to admit that being a reactionary doesn't make me evil or convince others that there is something fundamentally wrong with me.
On the other hand - if you say that I am not, you will have to show that there is something fundamentally different in these "reactionaries", something that separates them from me. If you point out only features that I share with them, you will be back to the first dilemma. If you point out something truly terrible that I will NOT wish to associate with, like kicking puppies and blowing up vans, you'll have to provide me with evidence of this being a dominating trend among this reactionary group, and you will fail to do so.
My bet is on "I don't know". Ignorance is your best refuge here.

YaTEdiGo: Sarkeesian is making good money being a Con Actress, a pretty good one by the way, feed by the angry mob she constantly try to inflame (with a pretty good rate of success), is amazing how "SJW" also take the bait... because PIXELS can transform you into a white hetero-patriarch... yeaaaaahhh sure...
Oh, I can't help myself ^^... so I'll help others.
(trigger warning: satire)
25 Invisible benefits of being Anita Sarkeesian
Tropes vs Women in Breakfast Cereal
Becoming Sarkeesian

In a nutshell
Dear Totalbiscuit I have just watched this video[url= https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW3ZPHNn9aQ ] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW3ZPHNn9aQ [/url]that you made and It has made me change my opinion of you .... please accept my sincerest apologies for anything I have said to upset you in the past ...

.... don't know why I have been so angry lately, I don't know if you will even read this post but I am very very sorry for my abhorrent behaviour. Have now subscribed to your channel and will be editing any posts I have made that have caused offence.

kindest regards
summitus ( AndyPandy R )
summitus: [...]
O_o
summitus: [...]
phaolo: O_o
I feel like shit .... :( I hope he gets the apology.
phaolo: O_o
summitus: I feel like shit .... :( I hope he gets the apology.
But.. you were angry with him for various reasons and called everyone sycophant... then you watched 1 game review and totally changed idea?
Modifying your own opinions is nothing wrong (expecially if they're a bit extreme and faulty), but.. so fast and with that reason... is.. let's say absurd!
Post edited July 22, 2015 by phaolo
Gnostic: When I am younger people tell me not to play games because I should spend my time studying / working / exercise / social life.
Grargar: Don't forget the part about having your fragile young mind protected from the evil murder simulators.
Posts of the year.
summitus: I feel like shit .... :( I hope he gets the apology.
phaolo: But.. you were angry with him for various reasons and called everyone sycophant... then you watched 1 game review and totally changed idea?
Modifying opinion is nothing wrong (expecially if a bit extreme and faulty), but so fast and for these reasons... is.. let's say absurd!
I know it seems crazy , I just don't know, a kinda wave came over me and was hating myself. And finding out how much shit the guy has been through[url= https://soundcloud.com/totalbiscuit/enough ] https://soundcloud.com/totalbiscuit/enough [/url], made me feel even worse :(

I guess Karma will deal with me at some point ... and I can have no complaints.
Post edited July 22, 2015 by summitus
Vestin: Getting rid of certain publishers from the store? For what reason and what purpose? Of course, of course: this is only a HYPOTHETICAL scenario...
If you've kept up at all with gaming the past year, it's not far-fetched at all. Remember I'm only talking about a particularly vocal group of people, not 2 million Youtube fans.

Vestin: Do you consider me a "reactionary", as you put it?
You're taking what I said so personally and adding so many of your own interpretations that there's no point continuing this. Almost like something I said...triggered you. But I'm here to push keys, not buttons, so I'll let that pass. I recommend re-reading my previous posts and looking for anything, anywhere, where I attempted to describe you or place you into a category.

There are plenty of examples of TB's less diplomatic moments, easily found by searching. When you recover from your last post, you're welcome to research them on your own time. There are also plenty of examples of him not behaving badly, that's not in dispute.

As for reactionary versus hugbox, you're welcome to do some research on those as well. Reactionary has carried the same meaning in English for over 200 years, and it's no more a direct insult than calling someone progressive or liberal. Maybe it has stronger connotations where you're from.

Hugbox isn't even in the dictionary yet and doesn't seem to have settled into standard usage. For example, simple Google searching will get you millions of hits for reactionary and barely over 100,000 for hugbox. Ironically, the most common place you'll run into people saying "hugbox" is insular internet forums of a certain political leaning. What's a good word for internet forums where people repeat similar ideas and phrases to each other ad nauseam?

I've said everything I needed to about TB's influence. I put great effort into being fair to all involved. Since nobody else thought it was worth an argument, I guess I'm done with this thread. I didn't come here to rile you up, so I'll leave you with...a hug. ;)
summitus: I guess Karma will deal with me at some point ... and I can have no complaints.
Just get more info next time, before attacking someone directly (if even needed).
Change your news sources too.
Telika: But I hadn't taken in consideration the factor that he should take in consideration too : the number of moronic crusade-seeking kids amongst gamers. And the effect of strong cool-sounding super-opinionated rants on such imbeciles. I don't think he should be held accountable for any butterfly effect of his rants (he's no pope or politician), but still, maybe he should realise that he largely speaks to a population of teenage hate-seekers (heck, especially that he is also a victim of this mentality) and maybe relativise his points accordingly.
TB said that his main demografic actually are male twens and thirtysomethings. Not teenagers.

It's probably just the law of large numbers. TB's videos get on average between 150k and 300k views. 100 trolls are enough to be a real pain in the ass to any person. But that's just between 0,06% and 0,03% of his viewers. That's totally reasonable and nothing that should be held against TB.
wvpr: If you've kept up at all with gaming the past year, it's not far-fetched at all. Remember I'm only talking about a particularly vocal group of people, not 2 million Youtube fans.
I've heard of a group that likes to ruin everyone's fun and boss people around... The only thing you've gotten wrong is that they mostly aren't fond of TB. If that's what you mean - hell yeah, I wouldn't want THEM running the show... I wouldn't want them running anything I'd be interested in.

wvpr: I recommend re-reading my previous posts and looking for anything, anywhere, where I attempted to describe you or place you into a category.
You didn't. That's EXACTLY why I asked. You keep alluding to a vaguely-defined group of people. You are either doing so to obfuscate reality or because you don't actually have much of an idea what you are talking about.
The reason I've asked you about me is because I wanted to see a clear example. WHO are you talking about? What are these people like? Do they actually live and breathe, or are they merely a strawman, a boogeyman?

wvpr: There are plenty of examples of TB's less diplomatic moments, easily found by searching. When you recover from your last post, you're welcome to research them on your own time. There are also plenty of examples of him not behaving badly, that's not in dispute.
You've made a claim about his reputation. I've called bullshit on it. You have failed to convince me that it's actually bad to any reasonable extent.

wvpr: progressive or liberal
These are more "brands" or "tribes" than descriptions nowadays. Once again - they are a lot more loaded emotionally than intellectually.

wvpr: Maybe it has stronger connotations where you're from.
Indeed, it bloody well does. "Reactionary" was a term the Soviets used to describe shit they didn't like. I've seen an old, translated Soviet dictionary of philosophy and "existentialism" was described as "decadent", "more a form of mental illness than a philosophical stance" and - surprise, surprise - "reactionary".
As I've mentioned, it's a general term of scorn. It doesn't really carry much meaning nowadays.
My point stands (someone here has already said this much): this is an international website, you need to compensate for that when using language. What I have given you was sympathetic suggestion, you'll do with it as you wish.

wvpr: What's a good word for internet forums where people repeat similar ideas and phrases to each other ad nauseam?
"Echo chamber". Hugbox implies that these people are also overly nice to each other ;P.

wvpr: I didn't come here to rile you up, so I'll leave you with...a hug. ;)
You know what... I'll take that. It's a pleasant surprise as well. I guess I'm glad this place hasn't really gone to hell, despite what all the doomsayers have been claiming over the years...
Post edited July 22, 2015 by Vestin