It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

A rebellious return of quality classics: Up to 75% off Evil Genius, Empire Earth Gold Edition, Darklands, and more!

Most of the time games go by their daily business peacefully, greeting each other on their way in and out of our hard drives. But leave them unnoticed for too long and these feisty fellas could very well start <span class="bold">A Rebellion of Retroism</span> that demands your immediate attention. To be fair, they have some pretty convincing arguments here, as the classics found in Rebellion's and Retroism's diverse catalogues are not to be overlooked by anyone. And did you see the discounts featured on the placards they are holding? These are a true riot.

Ruling the planet is not an easy task but you have 500.000 years to perfect your resource gathering and real-time warring techniques in order to establish your very own, stable Empire Earth. Better get started.

Why be a law-abiding, politically correct do-gooder when you can enjoy the flamboyant, colorful life of an Evil Genius? Put your world-domination plans into action, squash the meddling forces of justice that aim to thwart them, and fill your underground lair with maniacal laughter.

Ever dreamt of becoming a fighter pilot? Just jump into the cockpits of the Falcon Collection and wake up inside an experience full of the realistic dangers and thrilling intensity that comes with mastering the craft of air combat.

Get 66% off the entire Rebellion catalogue and 75% off almost every Retroism game. This is a true <span class="bold">Rebellion of Retroism</span>, featuring trailblazers like Sid Meier's Colonization, Lords of the Realm: Royal Edition, Silent Service 1+2, Darklands, and more. The promo will last until March 29, 4:59 AM GMT.
nigelbeans: I'm wondering about the pinball games. I'm not draw to pinball at all - there's no appeal there for me. What I'd like to ask is, has anyone here played a pinball game, not expecting to like it, and found it loads of fun?

(My only pinball experience was with Dragon's Fury on the Megadrive in 1990 and I wasn't too enthusiastic about it back then)
Actually, yes, and it's led to a serious pinball addiction for me. I now have over 600 hours logged in The Pinball Arcade alone (sadly it's not available on GOG). Having now played all the pinball games available on GOG I would recommend the Pro Pinball series the most. They still hold up pretty well despite their age. Of the ones currently on sale, the Pinball Gold Pack is FAR better than Pinball World IMHO. Outside of GOG, I'd recommend The Pinball Arcade and Pinball FX2. Both have a ton of tables available. Personally, I strongly prefer TPA because of the physics.
Thanks for the reply @MWink.

I know the games in the promo are pretty old now, but I wasn't prepared for step up in graphics quality when I had a look at pictures of some of your other recommended games!

I've decided to attempt to have a go on the free Tales of the Arabian Nights table on Pinball Arcade (elsewhere). There's a high chance it won't run on my old machine though! I need to find time to build my new gaming P.C.!

If it runs and I like it, I'll probably come back and buy the Pinball Gold Pack.

Thanks again!
Post edited March 27, 2016 by nigelbeans
Vythonaut: The good thing is that there are a lot of video tutorials about F4 BMS on youtube. The bad thing is that you'll need a substantial amount of time to go through them. No need to mention the bulky manuals... :P Anyway, there are many options to disable in-game to make the game a little easier but ultimately it's up to you and how much free time you can spend. Another recommendation is IL-2 Sturmovik (IL-2 1946 on GOG) - much easier because there are not many subsystems in WWII fighters to learn about, although the difficulty in IL2 is different; more dogfighting so you should learn all the tricks to get out of a difficult situation etc. Of course, you should have at least some basic flight stick to control the aircraft in a flight sim - not much can be done with a keyboard or a gamepad.
I already own and have played a little Il-2 1946 :) And I remember having played Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 2 WWII Pacific Theater. All of this two with a gamepad... I don't have a flying stick unfortunately. And I see the limits of the gamepad for this kind of games :P It's fun but... well, far from perfect ! What are the price ranges for a good but as cheap as possible flight stick ? Any recommendations ? If it's not too pricey, may be it can be the time to buy one.
And if not... Well, so, you don't recommend it if I only have a gamepad ? I don't think to be a "hardcore flight-sim player", but I've a lot of curiosity for it. I played Dwarf Fortress for example simply for the curiosity and because the game is fascinating ;)
Thanks a lot for your answer by the way ! :D
Niggles: Which of the lesser known ones are worth a go at?
Covert Action if you're looking for a game with several different mechanics all in one game. The only mechanic I did not like in the game was the driving and tailing portion as that feels kind of wonky but you get to do a lot of secret spy stuff in the game such as code decryption, phone tapping, and more :)
Vythonaut: The good thing is that there are a lot of video tutorials about F4 BMS on youtube. The bad thing is that you'll need a substantial amount of time to go through them. No need to mention the bulky manuals... :P Anyway, there are many options to disable in-game to make the game a little easier but ultimately it's up to you and how much free time you can spend. Another recommendation is IL-2 Sturmovik (IL-2 1946 on GOG) - much easier because there are not many subsystems in WWII fighters to learn about, although the difficulty in IL2 is different; more dogfighting so you should learn all the tricks to get out of a difficult situation etc. Of course, you should have at least some basic flight stick to control the aircraft in a flight sim - not much can be done with a keyboard or a gamepad.
Splatsch: I already own and have played a little Il-2 1946 :) And I remember having played Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 2 WWII Pacific Theater. All of this two with a gamepad... I don't have a flying stick unfortunately. And I see the limits of the gamepad for this kind of games :P It's fun but... well, far from perfect ! What are the price ranges for a good but as cheap as possible flight stick ? Any recommendations ? If it's not too pricey, may be it can be the time to buy one.
And if not... Well, so, you don't recommend it if I only have a gamepad ? I don't think to be a "hardcore flight-sim player", but I've a lot of curiosity for it. I played Dwarf Fortress for example simply for the curiosity and because the game is fascinating ;)
If you're looking for a flight stick, you can always go on ebay.fr and see what local sellers with high positive feedback have :) You can sometimes get a good deal and ebay has buyer protection in place so you can always be sure to either get your money back or get the item you ordered :)
Post edited March 27, 2016 by JudasIscariot
Splatsch: I don't have a flying stick unfortunately. And I see the limits of the gamepad for this kind of games :P It's fun but... well, far from perfect ! What are the price ranges for a good but as cheap as possible flight stick ? Any recommendations ? If it's not too pricey, may be it can be the time to buy one.
No problem! :)

Regarding the gamepad (I'll speak about il-2); you can use it to fly a plane, you can land/ take off although landing is somewhat trickier especially if you plane is damaged and needs so much input from you (you may need fine throttle control simultaneously with fine aileron control in such cases) but generally I guess you'll have a hard time, especially in dogfighting where many times you should perform difficult manoeuvres or fine point your reticule on the target (or slightly in front of it depending the distance between the airplanes). If you're good with the gamepad it might be easier but keep in mind that you must be able to control all control surfaces on the plane (ailerons, elevator, rudder), fine tune the throttle, operate your guns, control the flaps and be able to press some keys on the keyboard too for other stuff. If your gamepad & your skill with it allows you to do all that, that's fine but I'd suggest a flight stick anyway.

As for what I would recommend, hmmm, I don't really have a specific recommendation. I've used Logitech & Thrustmaster sticks but all of them had an expiration date on my hands (I get too passionate when dogfighting!). Nowadays I don't have one since the last one broke (the X axis didn't operate well) but when I'm in the market next time, I'll see if I can get my hands on a Black Widow since it looks sturdy enough, it has a nice, large throttle stick which can be separated so you can control multiengine plane more efficiently and looks heavy too. Also, you don't need to be a hardcore flight simmer (I am not by the way, I just enjoy flight sims in general) to buy a flight stick, as long it is not a very expensive one; it can be used with other types of games too (for example FPS where you get to fly things).

Hope I've been somewhat helpful. :)
Great promo! I've received the "wishlist notification" only today (maybe due to the insomnia sale?), now I have just to decide what to buy. :)
Just got B-17 and Judge Dredd at great prices ◦°˚\(*❛‿❛)/˚°◦
Bought Lords of Magic.
Never played it before, but ever since seeing it on a magazine back in the day I was curious.

But ok, the time to buy things is over. Now onto the new age of actually playing things.
Post edited March 28, 2016 by Andremop
Niggles: Which of the lesser known ones are worth a go at?
JudasIscariot: Covert Action if you're looking for a game with several different mechanics all in one game. The only mechanic I did not like in the game was the driving and tailing portion as that feels kind of wonky but you get to do a lot of secret spy stuff in the game such as code decryption, phone tapping, and more :)
Hey, another Cover Action fan! I can recommend that one, also. (Info on 90s PC version follows) First words of warning though: the graphics are not especially great compared to today - it is a 26 year old game, PC gaming was in its infancy. That said, the palette of colors used had to be workable with the hardware of the time, and that meant everything from CGA 4 color graphics to EGA 16 color graphics all way up to VGA 256 color graphics (or MCGA if you had an IBM). So their color palettes were limited a bit by what looked decent in CGA/EGA graphics. I'm assuming that Judas was probably fortunate enough to have a Commodore A500 or A1200 or something. This is probably one of the games I'd really like to see remade, yet I know it will never happen with the rights lost somewhere between the MicroProse -> Hasbro -> Infogrammes -> Atari -> Take Two -> ??? -> ?Firaxis? buyouts / mergers / take-overs / buy-backs / etc...

Anyway, there's four distinct modes: Combat, Crypto, Driving, and Wiretapping. The 'level' you select - I believe - corresponds to how much time in game you want to spend in these modes. After character selection, right before the new mission starts, you have to answer a copy protection question. You have three tries, then it drops you back to DOS (or DOSBOX). Obviously doesn't apply to GOG version, but I remember was a bear (and I HAD manual0

Combat - This could've really an FPS makeover. I do know that your skill level determines how quickly you can shoot bad guys (a target fades from light gray to white to indicate your chance to hit). Sadly, yes, you can miss from point blank range. Or maybe I'm just unlucky. When starting, be sure to take armor - you can sustain four hits with armor. Without armor, two hits and you pass out (Everyone uses tranq darts, I guess). If the place is crawling with guards, take that and the Uzi, too. The bowtie camera is also essential. (Okay, so if Maximilian has it in his bowtie, where's Maxine keeping it? I just got a good look at the box art again. D'oh! Never mind.)

Crypto - In this game, they use start using a simple substitution cipher, but finish strong with a Vigen&egrave;re cipher. Word of warning, though, if the game gives you the first letter, it's not always correct. It is 95% off the time, but just in case the stuff's not making any sense... At the basic level, they give you the spaces between words, at the harder levels, they don't.

Driving - Like Judas said, the driving mechanic is a bit off, but with a little bit of practice (and proper car selection), you'll be able to tail a suspect. Just remember you are driving multiple cars, and you hit the direction you want your car to turn at the intersection with relation to the map!. I don't know how many times I boogered that up. After certain 'chase' segments, you are given the opportunity to install a tracer on the victim's car, which plays identical to wiretapping. I don't know what the difficulty levels do to driving, but I imagine you get spotted sooner and/or have further to go.

Wiretapping - Basically, you have one chip design in your EEPROM (program / re-programmable logic chips) burner. You buffer their design, and burn yours into their chip. The chips immediately next to phone lines are PROMS (programmable once), you cannot change them. At the higher levels, there are more PROMS. In addition to that, the introduce inverters and cross channel logic (circuits that cut bridge phone/alarm clusters)
This is actually quite fun. At the lower levels, once you get the hang of it, it is easy to install a set of 5-6 taps in less than 30 seconds.

TL;DR I like Covert Action - it's a worthy addition to any collection. Pros: Fun, at times can be challenging (and exciting) gameplay. Cons: Graphics dated, not all mechanics have kept up well with gaming trends. Copy protection is a bear (not in GOG version, though)

Hey Judas, have you come across any PC spiritual successors to Covert Action? Especially ones that may not have made it overseas? Thanks!
Generosity. Optimism. Gumption.

Qualities that connect us to eternity, that will never die, and whose day will come.

Thanks GOG teaM I salute ye !
PincushionMan: Hey Judas, have you come across any PC spiritual successors to Covert Action? Especially ones that may not have made it overseas? Thanks!
Haha...no :/

The only way you'd get a spiritual successor to Covert Action would be to recreate the 90s game development environment as modern times are not conducive to these kind of games, unfortunately.
I finally ended up buying Falcon collection and Covert action (too many people talking about it in so many good ways).

JudasIscariot: If you're looking for a flight stick, you can always go on ebay.fr and see what local sellers with high positive feedback have :) You can sometimes get a good deal and ebay has buyer protection in place so you can always be sure to either get your money back or get the item you ordered :)
I'll maybe ask in the forum some advices, but I'll go there take a look for sure :) I'm just always a little afraid when buying something in a domain I don't know at all ^^" (and experience of other people is always useful) I have a limited budget, so I can't do mistakes :P
Thanks for the suggestion :)

Vythonaut: If you're good with the gamepad it might be easier but keep in mind that you must be able to control all control surfaces on the plane (ailerons, elevator, rudder), fine tune the throttle, operate your guns, control the flaps and be able to press some keys on the keyboard too for other stuff. If your gamepad & your skill with it allows you to do all that, that's fine but I'd suggest a flight stick anyway.

As for what I would recommend, hmmm, I don't really have a specific recommendation. I've used Logitech & Thrustmaster sticks but all of them had an expiration date on my hands (I get too passionate when dogfighting!). Nowadays I don't have one since the last one broke (the X axis didn't operate well) but when I'm in the market next time, I'll see if I can get my hands on a Black Widow since it looks sturdy enough, it has a nice, large throttle stick which can be separated so you can control multiengine plane more efficiently and looks heavy too. Also, you don't need to be a hardcore flight simmer (I am not by the way, I just enjoy flight sims in general) to buy a flight stick, as long it is not a very expensive one; it can be used with other types of games too (for example FPS where you get to fly things).

Hope I've been somewhat helpful. :)
I finally had to recognize that gamepad isn't enough for some games :P (and I love my old PS2 gamepad). Last time I was frustrated was with Freespace 2 : I bought it, configured it, succeeded in configuring most of keys in it (even if some were missing : not enough keys on the pad XD)(and I must add that it was a nightmare), but precision... isn't enough to really enjoy it. And that's without talking about "fine control" (throttle for example)
What is the pricerange ? Any brand to recommend for beginner with small budget ? (for example between Logitech & Thrustmaster ?) Any other particular advice ?
And yes, it was useful :)

Thanks you two for helping !
Post edited March 28, 2016 by Splatsch
I was like "heeeey time to grab some Falcon goodness and stuff".
Then I saw that review.... it literally shrunk my balls into tiny marbles. I thought I was a man, I thought I could do it.
No siree ;(
Attachments:
13444.png (289 Kb)
vicklemos: I was like "heeeey time to grab some Falcon goodness and stuff".
Then I saw that review.... it literally shrunk my balls into tiny marbles. I thought I was a man, I thought I could do it.
No siree ;(
>4000 hours
Attachments:
Splatsch: What is the pricerange ? Any brand to recommend for beginner with small budget ? (for example between Logitech & Thrustmaster ?)
Just grab Thrustmaster T.Flight Stick X, it's cheap (30 EUR) and quite decent for the price. You can also use it with X-Wing, Tie Fighter, Strike Commander, Wing Commander, Privateer etc.
Post edited March 28, 2016 by igrok