It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Mithril.218: What I think most would like is an ability to mirror their library locally.
The Python script gogrepo.py allows you to do that somewhat.

---------------------------------------------------

KEEP LETTING GOG KNOW HOW YOU FEEL BY VOTING
https://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/keep_the_gog_downloader_and_keep_it_up_to_date

The wishlist is up to 1874 votes now. :)

That said, there are certainly some viable download options aside from Galaxy these days, for your offline installers.

Free Download Manager 5 ... which has queuing, resume and speed setting etc.

gogrepo.py - a Python script that comes in a few flavors, with one at least of those supporting resume and verify.

Other third party downloaders.

I have built programs to assist with the above options.

GOGRepo GUI - a frontend for gogrepo.py

GOGRepo Simple GUI - a simpler frontend that uses gogrepo.py for listing games and does verifying of downloads.

GOGPlus Download Checker - a frontend for InnoExtract etc that tests integrity of files in a deeper slower way than gogrepo.py or Galaxy. GOG appears to build all their Windows installers using InnoSetup, and InnoExtract is specifically set up for testing GOG installers.

My personal preference is a mix of both Free Download Manager 5 and GOGRepo GUI or GOGRepo Simple GUI. I do downloading of big files with FDM5 and verify them with one of the others, and at need sometimes with GOGPlus Download Checker.

Details and links for all can be found here - https://www.gog.com/forum/general/gogplus_download_checker
Post edited December 23, 2020 by Timboli
Mithril.218: What I think most would like is an ability to mirror their library locally.
Timboli: The Python script gogrepo.py allows you to do that somewhat.

That's is way too messy though. Not to mention this should be simple.. not having to install python with x nr of plugins etc.. and so on. All Gog would need to provide is a "mirror archive" button, and ask where you want the archive. Check what files are already downloaded (if any) Check available space, and bob's your uncle. start downloading.

Simplicity is king.

(oh, and the reCaptcha issue is bound to throw a wrench into that python script)
Mithril.218: (oh, and the reCaptcha issue is bound to throw a wrench into that python script)
IT doesn't usually. It has, but it's not a common occurrence. I think only once did I have to manually extract my cookie file from Chrome ore Firefox to get logged in properly. And I've been using GOGRepo for 3 years or so now.
Post edited December 28, 2020 by paladin181
high rated
Mithril.218: Simplicity is king.
It really is. Unfortunateley GOG isn't able to grasp this concept - their morro is more like "let's make it complicated" ... also they so love their unfinished and unoptimized Galaxy client that they won't stop finding ways to make us use it.
low rated

The wishlist is up to 1874 votes now. :)
If GOG won't backpeddle on Devotion, which got close to 5 times that many votes in a week, I sadly believe they're even more unlikely to listen here.

(added a vote for the heck of it, and to show solidarity, though)

=-=-=

MarkoH01: Unfortunateley GOG isn't able to grasp this concept - their morro is more like "let's make it complicated" ... also they so love their unfinished and unoptimized Galaxy client that they won't stop finding ways to make us use it.
well said
Post edited December 30, 2020 by GamezRanker
Haven't participated in this topic in a while and...yeah, it's a bummer this cooled off. I still want the Downloader back. Still don't want to use "the optional client" (also, about time you added a vote for the Downloader, GR :p ).
Timboli: The Python script gogrepo.py allows you to do that somewhat.

Mithril.218: That's is way too messy though. Not to mention this should be simple.. not having to install python with x nr of plugins etc.. and so on. All Gog would need to provide is a "mirror archive" button, and ask where you want the archive. Check what files are already downloaded (if any) Check available space, and bob's your uncle. start downloading.

Simplicity is king.
I'm a great believer in simplicity, which is why I created my GUIs, though GOGRepo GUI is not simple under the hood.

So yes, even with my GUI it is still a fiddly process to set up and get right, especially if you aren't comfortable with Python. That said, once it is working right, it is a lot less fuss, especially with my GUI.

At the end of the day though, whether GOG setup a 'download all' or you use the gogrepo.py approach, much will depend on how many games you have, as inevitably there will be a lot of checking involved and some choices to make .... what files do you have, what don't you have, should files be replaced, keep a database record and go by that or check for files, etc. It only seems simple, if you don't think it all through.

And there would be a serious hit on their servers. In many ways, those of us willing to use gogrepo.py in full archive fashion are better off if not too many people use it that way ... the store would be too.
Everything is about context, so some things simply cannot be compared, though many foolishly try.
They only seem similar, when they are not really ... they have different aspects to them.

https://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/keep_the_gog_downloader_and_keep_it_up_to_date

The wishlist is up to 1898 votes now. :)

No-one now who is in their right mind, could possibly imagine GOG reversing the situation with the old GOG Downloader. So that is not why I make these posts. GOG should never forget that many of us were unhappy with their decision, and that is ongoing, and that maybe they should take that into future considerations, and maybe that might result in something one day ... maybe a different approach to the Galaxy client etc, which could please most of us.

That said, GOG clearly have an ability and willingness to ignore, and have been doing so for years. So my optimism in posting is more about being positively hopeful rather than negatively so.
high rated
it started off with Glaxy as the DRM Free client. Then it kinda changed more into an optional client that was not too much like DRM if you did not think about it. Then it was no more downloader so use the client already, and if you cannot these are the offline installers. Soon enough, it's probably going to be either use the optional or use the lousy offline installers which we mostly ignore and update whenever.

Just voicing more discontent. I miss the downloader. Backing up key parts of the library is reminding me of why it was so nice in the first place.
I've given up trying to download games in my browser, the download always stops after a couple of hundred megabytes. However I would quite like to be able to download the games I've bought so I can actually play them. I tried this Free Download Manager people have been recommending but I can't work out how to use it. When it asks for a URL what are you supposed to put in? Or am I just doing it completely wrong? Thanks if you can help.
ainsleyiscariot: I've given up trying to download games in my browser, the download always stops after a couple of hundred megabytes. However I would quite like to be able to download the games I've bought so I can actually play them. I tried this Free Download Manager people have been recommending but I can't work out how to use it. When it asks for a URL what are you supposed to put in? Or am I just doing it completely wrong? Thanks if you can help.
You need to install the Free Download Manager browser extension, so the downloads you start in the browser gets automatically sent to the download manager. You can do this in the programs Main menu --> Preferences --> Browser Integration. There is extensions for Edge, Firefox and Chrome.
I recently started using FDM after seeing someone mention it here and it's pretty great. It doesn't create folders like the GOG Downloader did, but you can pause downloads, you can resume them if they fail and you can even resume them after you restart your computer. Plus plenty of other options too.
ainsleyiscariot: I've given up trying to download games in my browser, the download always stops after a couple of hundred megabytes. However I would quite like to be able to download the games I've bought so I can actually play them. I tried this Free Download Manager people have been recommending but I can't work out how to use it. When it asks for a URL what are you supposed to put in? Or am I just doing it completely wrong? Thanks if you can help.
As the prior poster said, you need to install the extension or addon to your browser.

I am using the Brave browser, a Chrome clone, with that extension, and I have the option set for using the ALT key in conjunction with clicking a download link.

Sometimes I need to click the link and hold, then press my ALT key, then release my mouse button, to get it working.

P.S. I always manually start Free Download Manager 5 before clicking any download links (+ ALT key).

The wishlist is up to 1911 votes now. :)

We will get to 2000 votes yet ... maybe more!
Post edited January 06, 2021 by Timboli
rjbuffchix: Haven't participated in this topic in a while and...yeah, it's a bummer this cooled off. I still want the Downloader back. Still don't want to use "the optional client" (also, about time you added a vote for the Downloader, GR :p ).
There's always gogrepo. There's a few forks that are actively maintained.
(_,_): You need to install the Free Download Manager browser extension, so the downloads you start in the browser gets automatically sent to the download manager. You can do this in the programs Main menu --> Preferences --> Browser Integration. There is extensions for Edge, Firefox and Chrome.
I recently started using FDM after seeing someone mention it here and it's pretty great. It doesn't create folders like the GOG Downloader did, but you can pause downloads, you can resume them if they fail and you can even resume them after you restart your computer. Plus plenty of other options too.
Thanks that's a big help, seems to be working perfectly now.
chandra: Supporting GOG Downloader, which became an obsolete tool some time ago, simply does not go hand in hand with the goal we mentioned above.
The GOG Downloader, is not obsolete when GOG has not fully replaced *ALL* the GOG Downloader's *FUNCTIONALITY* ,
You are so wrong !!! and I can not express how annoyed and angry I am because of your blatant urinating on original GOG users who buys at GOG first and fore-most to get the DRM FREE downloads !!!
If in any doubt then please read my support Request #852110 , of December 12 , 2020 !
I personally am not giving up on asking for a *FULL* GOG Downloader *FUNCTIONALITY* replacement (or better!) if you want to retire the app !!!
Post edited January 15, 2021 by FiatLux