It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
GameRager: It might, but the odds are likely on par with winning the jackpot on a major lottery.
I said both MIGHT and IN SOME WAY.

So that could mean improvements to Galaxy to better support us, make it more appealing ... or maybe a lite version of Galaxy ... who knows. But it is beyond even those possibilities, it is about a written record of those displeased about something, etc and why. And its effect or impact may be felt beyond any downloader.

But you cannot even compare the return of the GOG Downloader itself with a lottery where the winner is picked at random and has no say in winning ... other than getting a ticket.

If GOG did something, it wouldn't be random, it would be based on decision making and choice.

So as I keep trying to make clear, it is not about the odds.

If anything, it is about degrees of unhappiness.

Take the appeal for an official Linux downloader.
You can look at the number of votes, and determine that a lot of people want it.
What those votes don't tell you though, is how badly most want it ... or how upset they are at not getting it.
No doubt some want it badly and some are upset about not getting it.
But many or most could have voted for it like I did, because it would be nice to have. I did that, because even though I am primarily a Windows user, I also download Linux files for my games when available, and because no-one knows what the future might bring. I don't like having all my eggs in one basket.
Post edited June 04, 2020 by Timboli
low rated
Wtf are you on about? GOGcan do whatever they want, its their platform, dont like it, get DRM free games elsewhere.
LET GOG KNOW HOW YOU FEEL BY VOTING
https://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/keep_the_gog_downloader_and_keep_it_up_to_date

We are up to 1257 votes now .... and that was two more votes in a short space of time, since I last posted here.

That means something, even if some cannot understand what that is or can't appreciate it.
low rated
amok: you should really take your own advice - exactly what does this number mean and are YOU not taking them on face value?
MarkoH01: Well, he did exactly explain why he thinks this way - unfortunately you did not quote that part ... or made some counter arguments.
do you now see why i no longer don't bother replying properly to Timboli? any criticism he will just ignore
low rated
Timboli: So that could mean improvements to Galaxy to better support us, make it more appealing ... or maybe a lite version of Galaxy ... who knows.
These are good ideas, actually(or even GOG allowing a user to make something that GOG then puts their stamp of approval on), and iirc I agreed with them earlier ITT as well....now if only GOG would approve/work on one of them(that being the hard part).

Timboli: But it is beyond even those possibilities, it is about a written record of those displeased about something, etc and why. And its effect or impact may be felt beyond any downloader.
It is a record, but they have what they require in that regard(imo).....most others already weighed in & expressed the poignant viewpoints and issues already, and new voices(while still having the right to be heard) haven't really added much in the way of new viewpoints and input(beyond mostly saying they agree with others ITT, etc).....now it's mainly just a few of us(including me) posting similar things over and over, and not really adding much to that "record".

Timboli: But you cannot even compare the return of the GOG Downloader itself with a lottery where the winner is picked at random and has no say in winning ... other than getting a ticket.
I still believe it's a decent comparison in highlighting the point I was trying to make about the odds being(imo) somewhat similar.

(Yes, you said something about it not being about the odds, but imo still matter somewhat[in general] to some at least.

Example: those considering supporting any issue in general[online or offline] might want to know the odds or approx. odds so they know whether to expend time in that endeavor or not)

Timboli: Take the appeal for an official Linux downloader.
You can look at the number of votes, and determine that a lot of people want it.
What those votes don't tell you though, is how badly most want it ... or how upset they are at not getting it.
That wishlist is a good example of another point, actually....that it doesn't matter as much how many votes something has, but whether GOG wants to(and can) do something.

Which brings up a third point: they MIGHT be working on something regarding this issue as we speak, but even if they are(with GOG's record of keeping quiet about most things) I doubt they'd tell us(in this thread or elsewhere) until they wanted to make an announcement.

Would be a nice surprise if they gave everyone what they wanted, though.

Timboli: But many or most could have voted for it like I did, because it would be nice to have. I did that, because even though I am primarily a Windows user, I also download Linux files for my games when available, and because no-one knows what the future might bring. I don't like having all my eggs in one basket.
Bolded bits: Good points.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

All the above said: after seeing how I and others have been treated(Mostly ignored for years in some cases) on some issues it's hard remain fully optimistic, but I still wish everyone else who voted luck & hope i'm wrong....keep on soldiering on if y'all want to.
low rated
Timboli: LET GOG KNOW HOW YOU FEEL BY VOTING
https://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/keep_the_gog_downloader_and_keep_it_up_to_date

We are up to 1257 votes now .... and that was two more votes in a short space of time, since I last posted here.

That means something, even if some cannot understand what that is or can't appreciate it.
if someone just noticed that the downloader is missing and are voting now, does it not mean that they are not using gOg on a 'regular basis'?
SarahGabriella: Wtf are you on about? GOGcan do whatever they want, its their platform, dont like it, get DRM free games elsewhere.
Nobody ever said anything else. This does not mean that we aren't allowed to point out when we are displeased which is the case here as you can see. What I really don't undertand however is why some people keep being annoyed with this thread at all? If people think we don't have any chance, if people say we are delusional, if people say we don't have the right to request (note that I did not say "demand" here) a thing that was important to us - or at least a better alternative ... well, if people keep being so annoyed with this .. why do those even read this thread? I could go even further and say: maybe one day, if we don't stop at all ... GOG might be annoyed as well and do something to please this unpleasant and ungrateful mob ;)
Post edited June 04, 2020 by MarkoH01
low rated
amok: if someone just noticed that the downloader is missing and are voting now, does it not mean that they are not using gOg on a 'regular basis'?
I am guessing that in the near 3 months since the announcement that most have likely bought & tried to DL something and know it's gone already(hence the votes slowing down), and only a few stragglers are left to weigh in/notice the DLer is gone.

I used to be the same way about the rep system(and to be fair still am, to a small degree)....going on about it in many posts over many months.....then I saw it was a waste of time(due to GOG doing as GOG wants) and cut back to almost nothing in that regard.

Heck, my time playing games or eating junk food is likely better well spent.
===================================

MarkoH01: This does not mean that we aren't allowed to point out when we are displeased which is the case here as you can see.
Agreed.

That said, no one said people don't have that right(at least none that I can see).

MarkoH01: What I really don't undertand however is why some people keep being annoyed with this thread at all?
Can't speak for others, but i'm not annoyed....I just see it as a likely waste of time** to bother with this in this manner(even for those who haven't weighed in yet) at this point.

(**=this is not to say I am asking or etc for people to stop)

Essentially (in part at least) I care a bit too much if people waste their time or not(seeing as life is short and all).

MarkoH01: If people think we don't have any chance, if people say we are delusional, if people say we don't have the right to request (note that I did not say "demand" here) a thing that was important to us - or at least a better alternative ... well, if people keep being so annoyed with this .. why do those even read this thread?
I actually said there's likely LITTLE chance and that some SEEM to be in denial(not all).

And(again) no one said(as far as I can see) that people here don't have a right to speak their peace on this.

As for why I read the thread: The issue is of importance to me as well......i'm curious to see how this pans out(on GOG's end, etc).

(Heck, I have been secretly cheering on for this to succeed most of the time between the DLer going down and now[ albeit not so much how every person handled it....some others acted a bit less than stellar when voicing heir concerns, etc...... but the movement to get at least a replacement or some solution people can live with].)
Post edited June 04, 2020 by GameRager
low rated
Maxvorstadt: Well, there`s a german saying that says: "One who fights might lose, but one who doesn`t fight has lost already!".
I think that's very apt. Unfortunately, the battle happened and was lost about 5 years ago because no one fought. What you're fighting now is simply the aftermath.
low rated
SirMrFailRomp: I think that's very apt. Unfortunately, the battle happened and was lost about 5 years ago because no one fought. What you're fighting now is simply the aftermath.
Heck, this might've even worked out better or had a better chance to succeed if those 1000+ people all wrote tickets to GOG/etc and pestered them enough(they'd be more noticeable and hard to ignore than wishlist votes, at any rate), or found some other effective means of change.

But no, regardless of optimism, voicing such in a few threads and putting in a few votes likely does next to nothing to get their attention....it'd be akin to wanting a big company like walmart or CNN or such to change something, and trying to effect that change by pinning notices to the sides of their HQ and walking off.

If people want to change things or get something implemented(especially for things they state are of importance to them) they need to be the change they want to see happen...i.e. put in more effort. Of course a good number(including me) lack the will or energy to even bother**, it seems.

(**=To all: that is not a dig at anyone ITT)
Post edited June 04, 2020 by GameRager
low rated
SarahGabriella: Wtf are you on about? GOGcan do whatever they want, its their platform, dont like it, get DRM free games elsewhere.
MarkoH01: Nobody ever said anything else. This does not mean that we aren't allowed to point out when we are displeased which is the case here as you can see. What I really don't undertand however is why some people keep being annoyed with this thread at all? If people think we don't have any chance, if people say we are delusional, if people say we don't have the right to request (note that I did not say "demand" here) a thing that was important to us - or at least a better alternative ... well, if people keep being so annoyed with this .. why do those even read this thread? I could go even further and say: maybe one day, if we don't stop at all ... GOG might be annoyed as well and do something to please this unpleasant and ungrateful mob ;)
You can still download games via browser. Galaxy isnt required. So really, what do you expect here?
amok: if someone just noticed that the downloader is missing and are voting now, does it not mean that they are not using gOg on a 'regular basis'?
Finally a point that is worth addressing, though it has kind of been already ... but you'd need to have thought and read deep enough.

As I have mentioned earlier, when contemplating why votes are still regularly occurring, it could be customers just finding out or it could be customers who have given Galaxy a go and found it wanting or annoying, but who have tolerated it for a portion of time.

Not everyone who comes to the GOG store participates in the forum.

So maybe there is a point, where they get so frustrated that they finally speak up ... vote even. Maybe they finally noticed one of the topics that led them to voting.

I recall many here being so upset, that they said they weren't coming to GOG anymore. I bet there were others who did that without even bothering to say anything.

It of course requires a strong commitment to stay away entirely, and GOG have meanwhile got some good games, and despite my feelings about the demise of the GOG Downloader, I have still kept mostly buying ... my program of course, helps with that. There has been some good purchases come to light in the last few months.

And what constitutes regular? If you come here once a month, that is still regular to my mind. Or if you come when a big sale is on or something grabs you in a GOG email every now and then ... I would still count them as regular customers. Coming something like once every 6 months or once in a blue moon or only the once, qualifies as infrequent to me.

So you can't just put it down to infrequent customers.

SarahGabriella: You can still download games via browser. Galaxy isnt required. So really, what do you expect here?
You need to read more of this topic to find out why.

The short answer is file integrity. Only Galaxy and the GOG Downloader check that ... and my program, and gogrepo so they tell me. Only important if you archive your games, and aren't installing immediately and so using the inbuilt checking. If you back up to one or more drives, you want to be sure the files aren't corrupt, which often happens with browser downloads of huge files in particular ... of course that varies due to the quality of your connection.
Post edited June 06, 2020 by Timboli
You can find details about my program here - https://www.gog.com/forum/general/gogplus_download_checker

LET GOG KNOW HOW YOU FEEL BY VOTING

We are up to 1284 votes now.
Post edited June 05, 2020 by Timboli
MarkoH01: Nobody ever said anything else. This does not mean that we aren't allowed to point out when we are displeased which is the case here as you can see. What I really don't undertand however is why some people keep being annoyed with this thread at all? If people think we don't have any chance, if people say we are delusional, if people say we don't have the right to request (note that I did not say "demand" here) a thing that was important to us - or at least a better alternative ... well, if people keep being so annoyed with this .. why do those even read this thread? I could go even further and say: maybe one day, if we don't stop at all ... GOG might be annoyed as well and do something to please this unpleasant and ungrateful mob ;)
SarahGabriella: You can still download games via browser. Galaxy isnt required. So really, what do you expect here?
Let me try to explain this to you in a way that might help you understand what this is about:

Imagine that you join a club and in this club there is a comfortable sofa you like to sit on and listen to the music around. You sit there every day and you are really enjoying it because it is comfy and soft and you are really getting used to it. Then after many years the club owner decides to cut down on costs which is his right since he is the owner. So he decides to remove the sofa from the club and replaces it with an old wooden chair. You can still sit on it and basically it has the same function ... it's just not the same - it's not what you enjoyed for such a long time and it is by far not as comfortable. So you start to complain about this and people are approaching you asking what on earth is wrong with you ... they explain to you that you can still listen to the music in the club and you can still enjoy it on this chair as well and you keep on telling them, that it is not the same and why the sofa was different and precious to you.

Well, that is the situation we are in right now. I was not happy when they removed my "sofa" and so I complained ... others felt the same ... you see, no mystery here at all. It is just a thread with a lot of people feeling the same, joining together ... and of course there are a lot of other people who just cannot walk by for whatever reason ... maybe they think they have to save us or GOG ... I don't know.
MarkoH01: Let me try to explain .....
Couldn't have said it better myself, very eloquently done. :)