It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

amok: Happy now?
Yes, thank you. :)

amok: you should really take your own advice - exactly what does this number mean and are YOU not taking them on face value?
wolfsite: Very true, it was proven earlier in these threads that people have been making alt accounts to pad the number
Oh, come on. IIRC we were talking about one possible alt account. Do you really think that those missing the downloader would create additional accounts just to be able to give one tiny vote on a wishlist that's meant to be more of a sign rather than forcing anybody to do anything?
Post edited May 23, 2020 by MarkoH01
amok: Happy now?
MarkoH01: Yes, thank you. :)

wolfsite: Very true, it was proven earlier in these threads that people have been making alt accounts to pad the number
MarkoH01: Oh, come on. IIRC we were talking about one possible alt account. Do you really think that those missing the downloader would create additional accounts just to be able to give one tiny vote on a wishlist that's meant to be more of a sign rather than forcing anybody to do anything?
yes. I was being supportive in one thread but then one of them assumed I wanted it to go away and then they all attacked me despite me saying I support as many options for users as possible so that tells me they will do anything for it and attack anything that remotely goes against it.
low rated
Thanks for the reply...that said I write some things to note near the bottom of the replies and also in the bolded bits(sorry for the wall of text btw):
============================================

Timboli: Have you really thought deeply about what those numbers mean and what they don't, or are you just taking them in superficially on face value?
No, i'm taking them in how a business likely would....comparing numbers of users who want something vs the entire user base, and how much it would bring in vs cost them to do that thing.

(And some other factors like ease of implementation, etc)

Timboli: The sale of one game is meaningless in the bigger picture.
Depends upon the game, but I somewhat agree.

Timboli: Does that number equate to how many customers GOG have on a regular basis?
I'd be extremely surprised to find they have even a tenth of that number regularly.
Many may have specifically come to GOG to get that game, and never been back since. No doubt a good number have bought the whole Witcher series, but maybe nothing else here.
Gog still has them as registered customers/users and possible future customers.....heck the one game demo(or freebie) recently had 300K(iirc) users DL it alone.

But even if we cut out a third of them that's still a much larger number than those that want the GOG DLer back.

Timboli: For a store to ignore over 1,000 customers, make them unhappy, is not a good way to run a business. Especially, as those who care enough about the GOG Downloader, would be regulars, not just someone doing a rare purchase, where the downloader did not matter.
It might not seem fair(and it likely isn't in some ways), but that's how a good number of businesses operate....by the "cold" numbers and not what every other user(even me) might want.

Yes, 1,000 users is a big number by itself, but not when compared with a likely user base in the hundreds of thousands.....it's likely GOG sadly doesn't see losing a chunk of 1,000 users as that much of a loss(to them), financially speaking.....especially when they probably can gain that many new users later on with various means and methods.

Timboli: I am pretty sure that everyone who wants the GOG Downloader back, is not naive and expecting it to happen. That is not a good reason to not protest though, and like I spent a whole other post talking about, there are other aspects. You read that post of mine, but somehow missed my very first sentence, where I say - While I suspect they won't, if only not to lose face now, never say never.
When I replied to that post I wasn't talking about you specifically....just that that was the vibe that some others seemed to give off(to me).

Timboli: Who said we are not enjoying our lives or not focusing most of our energy elsewhere?
We come here now and then and make the odd post or three.

You attribute denial, because you do not reason fully. You attribute denial because you do not look deep enough.
Sorry for the seeming miscommunication.....I was trying to mainly just posit denial as one likely reason a FEW(in general) were possibly still sticking with this.....I wasn't trying to say that everyone sticking to this was in denial.

If it came off that way then I say that was not my original intent, and I am sorry if it came off the wrong way when you(or anyone else) read it.

Timboli: I am not a denialist, what I say is based on good solid reasoning. Just because I don't always provide the detail, like I have done above, or because I am fed up repeating myself, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It's not up to me to do all the thinking.
Again, I never meant to say you were a denialist, that bit was just me musing/positing on possible reasons some might be sticking to this, and how I worried for such people a bit(for those that exist).

Timboli: Give us a break!
I am.....I have been silently supporting the movement from Day 1(though not how all were acting in said movement at all times). Even if I see it as unlikely and dislike how some(not you specifically) have been acting(in whole or in part) in regards to it, doesn't mean I didn't or don't support it. :)

As such, I am hoping for the best outcome, but since I don't hold a good outlook on such(given GOG's track record) I am "hedging my bets" with other new stores and such......to maybe convince GOG(via some lost sales) to change their ways, or to at least have a backup to turn to.

Of course that only works if many more would join in.....so if it will work, well we'll just have to see, I guess.

------------------------------------

Timboli: We are up to 1138 votes now .... still steadily climbing.
An aside: This reminds me of that easter egg in some games and films....THX 1138 I think it is.

===========================

Maxvorstadt: Well, there`s a german saying that says: "One who fights might lose, but one who doesn`t fight has lost already!".
True......very very very true....still, there is such a thing as a lost cause(in general that is)....of course recognizing it can be a hard part.

==================================

rjbuffchix: Cheers, man, next round's on me :D
Salud! *tips back glass*

rjbuffchix: And no matter what people might say, maybe all of us can agree the number of wishlist votes is much larger than expected. That is, I assume most people expected this wish to "fizzle out" at a few hundred votes yet it is over 1,000 and still steadily growing.
It has grown, I will admit that....still, some other things have(as said ad nauseum) a ton more votes and GOG doesn't fulfill them....one being a linux version of galaxy, which many more have been more vocal about for a longer period.

==========================

amok: and how many of these 1000 people will stop using gOg? How many of them are 'regular users', by the way? The downloader has been disabled for some time now - exactly how has it impacted on gOg?
These are good points. Even if 1,000+ users want this back, if a good number of them didn't buy much anyways or continue to buy during all this, it likely doesn't help the effort as much or incentivize GOG to change much on this.
Post edited May 24, 2020 by GameRager
low rated
wolfsite: yes. I was being supportive in one thread but then one of them assumed I wanted it to go away and then they all attacked me despite me saying I support as many options for users as possible so that tells me they will do anything for it and attack anything that remotely goes against it.
I don't think all of the ones supporting this would do anything, BUT I have seen general level of improper treatment by some(in general) who support this towards others...even those who supported them in whole or in part.

(Also tbh i'd support the movement even more if such people were nicer and more civil towards those with slightly or more differing views on this)

===================================

MarkoH01: Oh, come on. IIRC we were talking about one possible alt account. Do you really think that those missing the downloader would create additional accounts just to be able to give one tiny vote on a wishlist that's meant to be more of a sign rather than forcing anybody to do anything?
I don't know and can't say for sure, but look at the rep system: there are others here who made multiple accounts to downrate others here(including low rating me). As such, I think it's at least possible some might have done such a tiny bit, though it's likely NOT the large percentage(if any) of the wishlist votes.
Post edited May 24, 2020 by GameRager
Timboli: LET GOG KNOW HOW YOU FEEL BY VOTING
https://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/keep_the_gog_downloader_and_keep_it_up_to_date

We are up to 1138 votes now .... still steadily climbing.
I want to thank you for your GOG download checker. However the link was hidden somewhere in this big discussion, that I don't longer follow (it drags on too long). Is version 1.2 still the most current of yours? And could you make a separate topic for it for easy finding?
All the direct link downloads are failing repeatedly and I can't even install the Galaxy client just to download the installers for each game as every attempt of many fails with the "Unable to connect to GOG.com. Please check your internet connection" error message.

GOG Downloader did not give me this problem before it was taken away.

I have no other internet connection issues including with Steam, where for all its multi-layered DRM and rootkit infestations, I can still reliably download the content I paid for. I want to keep buying from gog but it doesn't seem like I have much of a choice right now.
Post edited May 31, 2020 by Hawkins85
low rated
Oh is this topic still going?
Thought the dissapointed ones already left the shop.
low rated
wolfsite: yes. I was being supportive in one thread but then one of them assumed I wanted it to go away and then they all attacked me despite me saying I support as many options for users as possible so that tells me they will do anything for it and attack anything that remotely goes against it.
GameRager: I don't think all of the ones supporting this would do anything, BUT I have seen general level of improper treatment by some(in general) who support this towards others...even those who supported them in whole or in part.

(Also tbh i'd support the movement even more if such people were nicer and more civil towards those with slightly or more differing views on this)

===================================

GameRager: I don't know and can't say for sure, but look at the rep system: there are others here who made multiple accounts to downrate others here(including low rating me). As such, I think it's at least possible some might have done such a tiny bit, though it's likely NOT the large percentage(if any) of the wishlist votes.
There is an outright fucknut crazy contingent here, and you are one of their favorite targets.
low rated
qwixter: There is an outright fucknut crazy contingent here, and you are one of their favorite targets.
Some imo just have a bad impression of me or take my words too strongly to heart and react accordingly, but yeah some(not posting here itt I mean, but in the forums) are likely off their rocker or bear a grudge to keep low rating me for so long(around 2/3 of a year so far, if my count is accurate).

But eh, if they want to low rate me(the trolls who do it all the time, I mean), id rather they focus mostly on me and not others....so at least I do some sort of good in that regard.
Post edited May 31, 2020 by GameRager
DubConqueror: I want to thank you for your GOG download checker. However the link was hidden somewhere in this big discussion, that I don't longer follow (it drags on too long). Is version 1.2 still the most current of yours? And could you make a separate topic for it for easy finding?
No worries, and sorry about that, but I thought it best to not distract from my main message for a while.
I will however be giving my program, now called GOGPlus Download Checker, its own thread shortly.
It is currently at version 1.6.

You can find it here - https://github.com/Twombs/GOGDownload-Checker/releases

LET GOG KNOW HOW YOU FEEL BY VOTING
https://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/keep_the_gog_downloader_and_keep_it_up_to_date

We are up to 1255 votes now .... I haven't checked in quite a few days, but it is still steadily climbing ... more than 100 since I last posted here.

P.S. And yes, I am ignoring what some posters here write, for very good and valid reasons. One of those, is that I would just be repeating myself, and another is they add nothing of value, and are in many cases just repeating what has been said before. I especially ignore troll like one liners. Some I ignore totally, based on their prior behavior. I am a pretty forgiving fellow, as I am sure GameRager can attest to, but I do have my limits.

P.S.S. I do take in any valid comments, which are reflected in my later replies, where I do a comprehensive posting.
Post edited June 04, 2020 by Timboli
low rated
To everyone(those who voted and those yet to vote or even find out about this issue):

It's been almost 3 months(on or around June 14th).....if GOG wanted to bring it back they would've, and i'm almost certain that with over 575 comments in just this thread alone they know what people want(and likely aren't willing to budge).

Maybe i'm wrong, i'd love to be & I still keep my hopes up a bit re: this issue**....but at this point the logical side of my mind keeps bringing up (mentally) the writing on the wall.

(**=Heck I even voted awhile back to show support)

---------------------------------------------------------------

As for what I think people should do (especially with much bigger, more important issues with/on GOG atm): (Relevant bit at 0:55 and on)

(The above is not meant to be an insult to anyone, btw....I truly wish people the best in being able to come to terms with this and move on[if they can and want to, that is...if anyone here wants to keep venting/posting their thoughts on the issue that's fine as well])
Post edited June 04, 2020 by GameRager
I really wish you would stop showing your lack of respect for our intelligence.

We are here because we want to be and because it might make a difference ... in some way.

We are not the naive folk you paint us and treat us as.
DubConqueror: I want to thank you for your GOG download checker. However the link was hidden somewhere in this big discussion, that I don't longer follow (it drags on too long). Is version 1.2 still the most current of yours? And could you make a separate topic for it for easy finding?
Timboli: No worries, and sorry about that, but I thought it best to not distract from my main message for a while.
I will however be giving my program, now called GOGPlus Download Checker, its own thread shortly.
It is currently at version 1.6.

You can find it here - https://github.com/Twombs/GOGDownload-Checker/releases

LET GOG KNOW HOW YOU FEEL BY VOTING

We are up to 1255 votes now .... I haven't checked in quite a few days, but it is still steadily climbing ... more than 100 since I last posted here.

P.S. And yes, I am ignoring what some posters here write, for very good and valid reasons. One of those, is that I would just be repeating myself, and another is they add nothing of value, and are in many cases just repeating what has been said before. I especially ignore troll like one liners. Some I ignore totally, based on their prior behavior. I am a pretty forgiving fellow, as I am sure GameRager can attest to, but I do have my limits.

P.S.S. I do take in any valid comments, which are reflected in my later replies, where I do a comprehensive posting.
Thank you. It's a great relief for me I don't have to delve into Python and can check installers from all places where I stored them, no matter what method I use for ordering my library of installers, by just drag-and-dropping the .exe files to the download checker screen. It's easy to setup, it will just take a lot of time to go through my whole library, but it's a great relief I can check if all my installers are still uncorrupted after all these years of storage and migrating between hard-drives.
DubConqueror: Thank you. It's a great relief for me I don't have to delve into Python and can check installers from all places where I stored them, no matter what method I use for ordering my library of installers, by just drag-and-dropping the .exe files to the download checker screen. It's easy to setup, it will just take a lot of time to go through my whole library, but it's a great relief I can check if all my installers are still uncorrupted after all these years of storage and migrating between hard-drives.
Thanks, glad you like it. :)

I have now created a topic thread here for my program.

https://www.gog.com/forum/general/gogplus_download_checker
low rated
You seem to think I meant(with my prior post) that I think ALL(or most) people still supporting this(including yourself) are deluded/dumb/etc...I do not feel that way....as such I apologize for that miscommunication. That said:

============================================

We are here because we want to be and because it might make a difference ... in some way.
It might, but the odds are likely on par with winning the jackpot on a major lottery.

That said, I do admire the optimism somewhat.....I sometimes miss that to some degree(which I had more of back before reality came crashing down as I grew older and saw how he world works).
Post edited June 04, 2020 by GameRager