It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Damn. I really wanted to like Meridian The New World. I really did. But I can't. It looks beautiful, has good music, but the gameplay just plain sucks. There's alot of small annoying details that I would probably look past if it wasn't for the major problems with the friendly AI. Or rather lack thereof. You have to micromanage pretty much every single one of your units. On their own they will either launch suicide attacks far beyond your defenses, or calmly walk past enemy units attacking them, never shooting back. Even when you tell them too attack they are just as likely to go in the exact opposite direction, because the path detection is so broken. It looked like it's going to be a fun space opera type strategy, but it turned out not to be the coveted "next decent SciFi game".
Post edited September 18, 2015 by Breja
On side note, any thoughts on recent Homeworld gearbox (unfortunately) had a shot at?
YaTEdiGo: As someone said before VOYAGER has some of the worst things ever in STARTREK,
Breja: Wow, that's a lot of hate. And really silly most of it too. Voyager sure had flaws, but if you hate the show because it had a black Vulcan and Chakotay's cultural background was not to your liking I really don't know what to tell you. After all, it's not like Star Trek is all about embracing diversity, right? You just seem hateful of the characters for no good reason. B'elanna was definately a way more interesting character than LaForge. Neelix is no JarJar. He's a actually a really well acted character with more depth than immediately obvious, a lot he hides behind that bafoon mask. Just watch Mortal Coil, it's a brilliant episode. Or Once Upon a Time.

Is Voyager as good as the Treks that came before it? No. But it's still plenty damn good. I'm really getting a little tired of all the hate that gets piled on that show.

Mr. D™: DS9 was not that good, glorified war in some episodes
Breja: If you think DS9 glorified war than you clearly were not paying attention.
You PC bro? LOL

Chakotay is a religious person, TNG took humanism beyond TOS buring superstition in the best way ever any other TV series did, but yeah... my past fellows... rituals... after almost exterminating a race (indian NAs) now we make some homages here and there, choosing from them not several probable amazing social traits from indian namericans... but as every single stupid WHITE homege to them.... tadaa! superstition...cool.

STARTREK is a fiction, vulcans doesn´t exist, vulcans have green blood, vulcans are extremely not appealing to be "black" again PC vs PLOT, you want to embrace diversity? make something new beyond stupid living room morals, something with black or asians if you want. The character is a bad copy of Nimoy to appeal stupid concepts about racism, like black nordic gods, the same way Bruce Lee is asian, and Django black. I never want to see a "white" version of them... Tuvok actor is better than to be a black copy of SPOCK, because this is what happens when you do the "diversity version of the WHITE GUY" oh! supergirl! and a superdog too, and superblack... that´s the real RACISM instead of having something new" but because "diversity" everyone need to be LIKE THE WHITE GUY... yeah sure, that is "diversity" ... sic...

B´elanna a more interesting character than LForge, sic... LForge was never Picard or Data, sure, B´elanna is interesting because is destroying the ¨klingo diversity´ trying to be more like a common NA girl?with common problems... MEH .... but hey... klingon... sometmes... a normal girl that lose her temper from time time, sure, very interesting... I seen every single thing released of STARTREK, and I didn´t see any character worse than Neelix ever.
Post edited September 19, 2015 by YaTEdiGo
Mr. D™: Lol feeling kind of like a therapist for your voyager trauma right now lol. But I think your right, fairly good analysis, except I did not like Kees.

DS9 was not that good, glorified war in some episodes (gene would probably rotate in his grave), but still better than voyager, which probably killed the franchise. But they needed Worf and Miles to save DS9, which is somehow awkward.

And the new movies made by Abrahams, well the first one was ok, despite the fact that he used it as his application for Star Wars. Also he copied the optics of Mass Effect 1, but don`t tell anyone outside the gaming community, lol.
I felt bad for Eric Bana to play such a two-dimensional charakter."I am really angry, so I travel back in time, wait 20 years and then kill the whole planet of the guy that tried to help my people, because duh!"
But at least I enjoyed Simon Pegg and Karl Urban especially a lot. Would love to see another rough Judge Dredd but for some reasons Hollywood is ditching everything that includes poverty or "bad" police..

But the second Star Trek mady by Abrahams was abyssal. Godawful. Could not watch to the end.
DS9 has great things, Ferengi are probably one of the best ones, among many other interesting characters, but you can tell it was a moment in NA that humanism was turn into religious beliefs again, probably because republicans were back, but still points some arguments vs superstition that are interesting, and also in the glory of war. And the worst thing about this war is that is pretty bad done, with combats that make totally non-sense in terms of tactics or motives. But is definitively a series that deserves a view, being much better in the 6 first seasons, and going extremely down in the 7th.

And yes, in Abrams movies Bana is totally a two dimensional character, is the biggest flaw in the movie, but the whole movie was ok, considering as you said hat is more like a STARWARS STARTREK, the second one problem is that is such a fan-service movie, and with the worst fan service moments, copying this, and this, and this,,, and mixing it with action. Is not bad, but is definitively easy to forget in few days, because it has nothing authenthic or original on it.
Post edited September 19, 2015 by YaTEdiGo
YaTEdiGo: Chakotay is a religious person,
He's not religious, he's a spiritual person. There's a difference. But more importantly, as much as I love Star Trek for showing a world no longer contrained by religion and superstition, I am also rather relieved by characters like Chakotay. It's good to see different cultures and belief systems still exist there.

YaTEdiGo: STARTREK is a fiction, vulcans doesn´t exist, vulcans have green blood, vulcans are extremely not appealing to be "black" again PC vs PLOT, you want to embrace diversity? make something new beyond stupid living room morals, something with black or asians if you want. The character is a bad copy of Nimoy to appeal stupid concepts about racism, like black nordic gods, the same way Bruce Lee is asian, and Django black. I never want to see a "white" version of them... Tuvok actor is better than to be a black copy of SPOCK, because this is what happens when you do the "diversity version of the WHITE GUY" oh! supergirl! and a superdog too, and superblack... that´s the real RACISM instead of having something new" but because "diversity"... sic...
Calm down man :) I get where you're coming form, I really do. Just in this case I don't see the problem. If Andorians can be blue, green and chalk white, if Klingons could go from smooth forheads to cranial ridges, if trills appearance could change entirely from TNG to DS9 I see no reason to throw a fit over the possibility of some Vulcans being black. And it's certainly no reason to hate the whole series.

YaTEdiGo: B´elanna a more interesting character than LForge, sic... LForge was never Picard or Data, sure, B´elanna is interesting because is destroying the ¨klingo diversity´ trying to be more like a common NA girl?with common problems... MEH .... but hey... klingon... sometmes... a normal girl that lose her temper from time time, sure, very interesting...
Actually I meant her Maqui background rather than Klingon. I thought it was interesting to see her progress from the undisciplined maqui with a dislike for starfleet and a lot of personal demons to a confident officer in a authority position, even telling Seven some thing a lot like what she herself heard from Janeway in the beginning.

YaTEdiGo: I seen every single thing released of STARTREK, and I didn´t see any character worse than Neelix ever.
Wesley Crusher and cpt. Janeway. Yeah, for all my defense of Voyager I do hate Janeway. Although, the reasons for my dislike of her made for some good episodes too, like the great two-parter Equinox. I just recently re-watched it, and it really is awesome. Scorpion and Equinox are among the very best of all Trek double episodes.

Oh, and Voyager menaged to do something impossible- have a fun, likeable kid character who actually contributed to having good episodes. Naomi Wildman rocks.
Post edited September 19, 2015 by Breja
For one, I always thought of Voyager as Gilligan's Island in space where all too many episodes revolved around ways they might get home faster, but then {something...i.e. Gilligan} intervened. I gave it up for good when there was an episode with some wormhole that would have brought them halfway across the galaxy but Janeway refused to take it because using it might have injured a native lifeform...

That and too many times I found the plot shoehorned to the results...Janeway would make some pretty silly arbitrary decisions based on the available information, but the plot invariably resolved making it appear Janeway was totally correct all along. Too many episodes felt contrived like that.
Post edited September 19, 2015 by RWarehall
Niggles: On side note, any thoughts on recent Homeworld gearbox (unfortunately) had a shot at?
^
When I learned that they downgraded UI and AI on a small detail, I got so annoyed and irrational angry that I didn`t bother for it at all. But pls bear in mind that I have nowadays a very small limit of tolerance with AAA games, especially since the X-COM remake.

If you never played the old Homeworld. I`m pretty sure you will have no problems at all making your peace with a technically less advanced game than the 1999 original. The story is worth it alone, one of the best stories in Sci Fi I`ve ever encountered. And I`ve read a couple hundred scifi novels ;)

If you owned and played the original, I guess it would be the best to watch a couple of let`s play videos from a youtuber, that you trust and like, and then decide if yes or no.

hope I could help you

If you already played it, I would be curious for your opinion
Post edited September 19, 2015 by Mr. D™
YaTEdiGo: Chakotay is a religious person,
Breja: He's not religious, he's a spiritual person. There's a difference. But more importantly, as much as I love Star Trek for showing a world no longer contrained by religion and superstition, I am also rather relieved by characters like Chakotay. It's good to see different cultures and belief systems still exist there.

YaTEdiGo: STARTREK is a fiction, vulcans doesn´t exist, vulcans have green blood, vulcans are extremely not appealing to be "black" again PC vs PLOT, you want to embrace diversity? make something new beyond stupid living room morals, something with black or asians if you want. The character is a bad copy of Nimoy to appeal stupid concepts about racism, like black nordic gods, the same way Bruce Lee is asian, and Django black. I never want to see a "white" version of them... Tuvok actor is better than to be a black copy of SPOCK, because this is what happens when you do the "diversity version of the WHITE GUY" oh! supergirl! and a superdog too, and superblack... that´s the real RACISM instead of having something new" but because "diversity"... sic...
Breja: Calm down man :) I get where you're coming form, I really do. Just in this case I don't see the problem. If Andorians can be blue, green and chalk white, if Klingons could go from smooth forheads to cranial ridges, if trills appearance could change entirely from TNG to DS9 I see no reason to throw a fit over the possibility of some Vulcans being black. And it's certainly no reason to hate the whole series.

YaTEdiGo: B´elanna a more interesting character than LForge, sic... LForge was never Picard or Data, sure, B´elanna is interesting because is destroying the ¨klingo diversity´ trying to be more like a common NA girl?with common problems... MEH .... but hey... klingon... sometmes... a normal girl that lose her temper from time time, sure, very interesting...
Breja: Actually I meant her Maqui background rather than Klingon. I thought it was interesting to see her progress from the undisciplined maqui with a dislike for starfleet and a lot of personal demons to a confident officer in a authority position, even telling Seven some thing a lot like what she herself heard from Janeway in the beginning.

YaTEdiGo: I seen every single thing released of STARTREK, and I didn´t see any character worse than Neelix ever.
Breja: Wesley Crusher and cpt. Janeway. Yeah, for all my defense of Voyager I do hate Janeway. Although, the reasons for my dislike of her made for some good episodes too, like the great two-parter Equinox. I just recently re-watched it, and it really is awesome. Scorpion and Equinox are among the very best of all Trek double episodes.

Oh, and Voyager menaged to do something impossible- have a fun, likeable kid character who actually contributed to having good episodes. Naomi Wildman rocks.
The series is a total plot crap, never spoiled by a black vulvan, but yes, spoiled by so many stupid things. Ancient tribes had religions, Chakotay has a religion, saying that indian american believes are just spirituality is pretty romantic, and definitively influenced by the religions that conside themselves "serious" vs "minor religions", for them Greek Gods are "fantasy", never a religion. Every single character in the series is bad, even 7 of 9 has many bad moments, even the doctor all the hologram thing is ridiculous for all the constant contradictions, an unnecesary subplot to make a "new" kind of character that lucky only works sometimes because the actor is very good. Tuvok is a black copy of Nimoy, and is a pity, that guy is a good actor, Paris and KIm no comments, Neelix seriously his "fun" is plain Jarjar style, only that JarJar is far more charming... Belanna is as annoying as Rick´s wife in Walking Dead, if not more...

But no, not even this can make the series bad, the worst thing of the series is that is just trying to say "hey this is totally new we are lost in the other side of the galaxy" and the situations they meet are just simply THE SAME, but even WORSE MADE that any, of the other series, no isolation at all (just some episodes) some stupid mini plotsabout resources that never affect much the whole thing because is clear that the tone of the series is very VERY SOFT, space stations everywhere, or outpost, or even know races, if not the typical light make up ones that appear just in one episode (well a mark of Startrek but Voyager was about other thing) and for finish all this mess that also brings some of the worst characters in STATREK ever, an ending that is just fast, bad done, unemotive and boring.

So about kids, yes, of course, because this was the most "STARTREK FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY" ever, not only boring but soft and cheesy.

7 full seasons of CRAP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHboxuzOeDg
Post edited September 20, 2015 by YaTEdiGo
YaTEdiGo: The series is a total plot crap, never spoiled by a black vulvan, but yes, spoiled by so many stupid things. Ancient tribes had religions, Chakotay has a religion, saying that indian american believes are just spirituality is pretty romantic, and definitively influenced by the religions that conside themselves "serious" vs "minor religions",
I'm not talking about indian american beliefs, I'm talking about Chakotay and his beliefs. You should watch the episode Barge of the Dead to understand maybe. He says "My grandfather used to think he could transform himself into a wolf so that he could venture out to explore the spirit realm. It was real to him, as real as what your experience was to you, but that doesn't mean he grew hair all over his body and walked around on all fours." He believes in the meaningfull nature of symbols, even the importance of experiencing a vision but that does not mean he believes in the supernatural, worships some diety, or follows any religious dogma.

As for the rest, I simply don't agree with you, and there is little to discuss, as all you keep saying is calling it crap, and repeating how much you hate the characters. Not much to say other than I think you are wrong. Whatever. Your loss. seasons 4-5 are full of great episodes- Scorpion, Raven, Mortal Coil, Prey, Living Witness, Drone, TImeless, Infinite Regress, Nothing Human, Latent Image, Course: Oblivion, just to name some of the very best, and season 6 starts very strong with Equinox and Barge of the Dead. All great sci fi, great tv. Was the entire series like that, every episode? No. Of course not. But it's still a good show overall. You disagree, you hate it... fine. That's fine too. It wan't diminish the fun I'm having watching it, so too each his own.
Post edited September 20, 2015 by Breja
Mr. D™: I love Sci-Fi. I really do. Listened to Star Wars and Perry Rhodan on tape at the age of 5 even before I saw the movies. Started to read small Sci-Fi novels at the age of 7. Watched Space 2063, Babylon 5, Star Trek, Firefly and what so not.
SciFi games will always be something very special for me. Wing Commander, Jupiter Nexus Incident, Space Quest 4, Master of Orion 2, Descent Freespace 1+2, Homeworld, U.F.O., Schleichfahrt etc etc

But in the last time more and more games are released that are basically a multiplayermode sold for 50 or 60 bucks like Destiny and Titanfall, or some kind of platform to sell overprized DLC like Dead Space 3 or Evolve or worse.

The companies claim that attaching a single player campaign is not worth it, because most gamers won`t play it anyways. IMHO that`s bullshit and just a form of justification to significantly cut down content and production time and costs.
But I will not buy Titanfall, Evolve or the new Elite. Fuck those companies. Fuck their business model. And fuck their C.E.O.`s

Sigh.

Just waiting for the next decent SciFi game.
Star Citizen, hands down. Developed by the creator of Wing Commander, will have single player campaign, multiplayer, and multiplayer in persistent universe modes. It will be truly epic and has a massive following and one of the largest crowd funding successes of all time for any product ever made even outside of video games. They've raised around $80 million so far and going.
There has been some skepticism around Star Citizen lately, but I hope it will turn out well for Roberts, he had to endure a lot of shit and also chose a stony path in parts of his life.
I really wish the best for him and his project and the teams working on it. But I`m really not sure if it will be the big shot in scifi games everyone is hoping for. Time will show us.
RWarehall:
Seven of Nine, tho......
So the next sci fi games? (Star Citizen excluded since it seems on a rocky path right now)
Mr. D™: There has been some skepticism around Star Citizen lately, but I hope it will turn out well for Roberts, he had to endure a lot of shit and also chose a stony path in parts of his life.
Well, we had to endure the Wing Commander movie he made, so it all evens out ;)
Mr. D™: There has been some skepticism around Star Citizen lately, but I hope it will turn out well for Roberts, he had to endure a lot of shit and also chose a stony path in parts of his life.
Breja: Well, we had to endure the Wing Commander movie he made, so it all evens out ;)
True, lol