It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Call me paranoid but this is starting to look like a disaster in the making.
robb5: I don't really trust the news on my TV so I am a little confused: Did Russia already attacked Ukrain or did it just warned Ukrain about a future military conflict?
to my understanding: russia has officially approved having a military presence in crimea. (they were likely there anyway, but now its official). So it doesnt mean an attack exactly... just even more increased tensions.
robb5: I don't really trust the news on my TV so I am a little confused: Did Russia already attacked Ukrain or did it just warned Ukrain about a future military conflict?
SheBear: I don't think they are "attacking" but now authorized (whether it has happened or not who knows) to send Russian soldiers into Crimea (probably to bolster the people who took control of government buildings yesterday/the day before in the name of Russia). Unsure what this looks like to Ukrainians though (thoughts, AzureKite?)
It seems like a very tensed situation. I hope that the situation can be solved without a military conflict and that any other big power doesn't screw up by insulting Russia.
AzureKite: I already regret, that my country willingly gave away all nuclear warheads for some piece of paper called memorandum, which can be used to wipe an ass, nothing more. Guarantees of integrity, my ass...
Did you even have those? Well, i mean those you could use. I thought all the launch codes and true control over the nuclear weapons remained in Moscow's hands.
Anyway, if you had them, things'd be a lot uglier now.
SheBear: I don't think they are "attacking" but now authorized (whether it has happened or not who knows) to send Russian soldiers into Crimea (probably to bolster the people who took control of government buildings yesterday/the day before in the name of Russia). Unsure what this looks like to Ukrainians though (thoughts, AzureKite?)
They won't be attacking in that region anyway, they'll be mostly welcomed.
So basically what I saw/heard kind of infuriates me, ( and I can be 100% on the wrong here because facts aren't something you can come by easy today..)

Basically: Ukrainian civil war for which FOREIGN side should they take (EU or Russian)

The prime minister(?) of Ukraine (Pro Russian) asked Russia's help to help him keep power
He embezzled incredible amount of money (that could easily take ukraine out of any debts)

My opinion: (If the facts are ANY thruthful at all) Screw EU,Screw Russia THEY SHOULDN'T BE KILLING EACH OTHER FOR THEM.

And hang the bastard that robbed the people's wealth.

Also: Ukrainian's seem to have "balls" at least,not like us modern Greeks here.
robb5: It seems like a very tensed situation. I hope that the situation can be solved without a military conflict and that any other big power doesn't screw up by insulting Russia.
Well, Obama already said "United States will stand with the international community in affirming that there will be costs for any military intervention in Ukraine", if that's not a threat, I don't know what is.
So looks like he is thinking about getting involved.
Post edited March 01, 2014 by wbrk
wbrk: Well, Obama already said "United States will stand with the international community in affirming that there will be costs for any military intervention in Ukraine", if that's not a threat, I don't know what is.
We'll stay home from the G8 and maybe end some minor trade agreements or whatever but nothing more than that. We have no desire to go to war with Russia or even escalate to a cold war footing, nor do we honestly care much at all about post-Soviet countries' borders, which are 20-50 years old at most.
wbrk: Well, Obama already said "United States will stand with the international community in affirming that there will be costs for any military intervention in Ukraine", if that's not a threat, I don't know what is.
StingingVelvet: We'll stay home from the G8 and maybe end some minor trade agreements or whatever but nothing more than that. We have no desire to go to war with Russia or even escalate to a cold war footing, nor do we honestly care much at all about post-Soviet countries' borders, which are 20-50 years old at most.
Yeah, I find this much more likely than the US actually going to war. I think that we will posture and strut around a bit, and if there is any full fledged civil war that happens we (along with the EU/NATO) will likely support one side financially, but I think that Obama is more likely to make it look like Syria than Libya (or a full scale war).
Post edited March 01, 2014 by SheBear
StingingVelvet: post-Soviet countries' borders, which are 20-50 years old at most.
The Baltic countries had been independent between the wars, so nearly 100 years. (Belarus and Ukraine even had theirs own UN memberships.)
StingingVelvet: We'll stay home from the G8 and maybe end some minor trade agreements or whatever but nothing more than that. We have no desire to go to war with Russia or even escalate to a cold war footing, nor do we honestly care much at all about post-Soviet countries' borders, which are 20-50 years old at most.
Yes, I hope you're right and it it's just about trade agreements, but phrase "there will be costs" sure looks more threatening than that. He knows everyone is very tense now, he could have phrased it better.
wbrk: Yes, I hope you're right and it it's just about trade agreements, but phrase "there will be costs" sure looks more threatening than that. He knows everyone is very tense now, he could have phrased it better.
We like to strut around like it's still 1985, for some reason.
Russians will be the death of us all eventually , sadly its only their leaders that are paranoid warmongers , I'm sure most Russian people have no say in what Putin and his cronies get up to.
summitus: Russians will be the death of us all eventually , sadly its only their leaders that are paranoid warmongers , I'm sure most Russian people have no say in what Putin and his cronies get up to.
actually not russians,but all the powermongering people. Be it Russian European American or whatever.

Unfortunately,humanity IS doomed. That's my impression from everything I see.
ktchong: The irony is: the US won the Cold War in the last round because of the might of the US economy. However, now Russian economy is in a much better shape than the US because of all the oil and gas, and the US is on the brink of bankruptcy. So Russia may actually win the second round. LOL.
That's news to me. Especially considering how US can dish out seven times more money for it's armed forces that Russia. And both set aside about the same procent of GDP for that purpose.