It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Matruchus: I dont know what will happen but bear in mind that a big part of Russian army officers is of Ukranian descent - a left over from Soviet Union so that might push things even fuerther than we think.
ktchong: I just hope the US will stay out of it... because one wrong move, this can lead to WWIII.
Yeah thats what im afraid off. Most people here still dont see the danger of what is happening.
At this point, it seems like a new Cold War has become inevitable.
Post edited March 01, 2014 by ktchong
ktchong: At this point, it seems like a new Cold War has become inevitable.
Yeah the news did start to point to that direction. I just hope that does not happen since US is in no shape for it.
The irony is: the US won the Cold War in the last round because of the might of the US economy. However, now Russian economy is in a much better shape than the US because of all the oil and gas, and the US is on the brink of bankruptcy. So Russia may actually win the second round. LOL.
Post edited March 01, 2014 by ktchong
ktchong: The irony is: the US won the Cold War in the last round because of the might of the US economy. However, now Russian economy is in a much better shape than the US because of all the oil and gas, and the US is on the brink of bankruptcy. So Russia may actually win the second round. LOL.
You mean like Putin used Olympic games as a cover, and at the same time somehow orchestrated the whole situation in Ukraine (or even predicted it, which is even better) so it will inevitably come to new Cold War which USA will lose, so Putin will avenge for USSR's defeat in first Cold War?

I like that conspiracy theory.

But seriously, I'm also afraid it could possibly lead to something much worse than a new Cold War.
Post edited March 01, 2014 by wbrk
I'm really annoyed the US media is barely covering this. And when they do it's all about weather Obama will look "weak" when Putin does his thing.

In any event we've all seen this play out before with Abkhazia and Ossetia, and I lived right next to those regions. The US will do nothing because they don't want a war with Russia and Ukraine will just complain and then do nothing, same as Georgia, because they can't win a war with Russia. End of story.

Whether it's really bad that pro-Russia regions get to be backed-by-Russia independent States is debatable. I doubt many in the West really care.
( sorry about the bad translation )

Ukrainian parliament has withdrawn regulatory language rights of minorities law in the last week .
Matruchus: I understand their fears from the new Ukranian government since they dont know them and canceling the russian language as second official language was a really bad move from them.
1. Russian language was not a second official langauage nationwide. Ukraine constitution states only one official language. Never had any problem writing diploma projects in my university times in russian.
2. For nearly 20 years noone gave a damn about minorities languages, the cancelled law was fairly new. And everyone lived their lifes, conversing in their own language. This whole issue was artificial from the very beginning to separate the country on this basis.
3. My mother is russian, my father is ukrainian. Both are russian-speaking. Never in my life had any problem of talking to anyone in my country, be they from the western part or from the eastern. But of my own accord I asked my mother to let me go to ukrainian school to learn the language of my country. This bs about opressing ethnic russians and russian language is a freaking lie. Russians are a second largest ethnic group here, fcs.
Post edited March 01, 2014 by AzureKite
Matruchus: I understand their fears from the new Ukranian government since they dont know them and canceling the russian language as second official language was a really bad move from them.
AzureKite: 1. Russian language was not a second official langauage nationwide. Ukraine constitution states only one official language. Never had any problem writing diploma projects in my university times in russian.
2. For nearly 20 years noone gave a damn about minorities languages, the cancelled law was fairly new. And everyone lived their lifes, conversing in their own language. This whole issue was artificial from the very beginning to separate the country on this basis.
Well as much as I know Crimea is an autonomus region so they probably had russian as a second language and since the parlament forbid russian as a second language that might have been a problem.

But we all now about the spetznat yesterday in crimean parlament taking down the elected president of crimean autunomous region.
AzureKite: 1. Russian language was not a second official langauage nationwide. Ukraine constitution states only one official language. Never had any problem writing diploma projects in my university times in russian.
Matruchus: Well as much as I know Crimea is an autonomus region so they probably had russian as a second language and since the parlament forbid russian as a second language that might have been a problem.

But we all now about the spetznat yesterday in crimean parlament taking down the elected president of crimean autunomous region.
Not true. A simple law (not a constitution) cannot affect the constitution of an autonomous state. To do that, you have to change the Crimea's constitution by its own parliament vote. Period.
Matruchus: Well as much as I know Crimea is an autonomus region so they probably had russian as a second language and since the parlament forbid russian as a second language that might have been a problem.

AzureKite: Not true. A simple law (not a constitution) cannot affect the constitution of an autonomous state. To do that, you have to change the Crimea's constitution by its own parliament vote. Period.
Well that does not hold water for EU since in case of EU every EU law is above each countries constitution.

So that you know if you ever come in to EU you can just forget your constitution as we had to forget ours and make it confer to eu lines.
Post edited March 01, 2014 by Matruchus
I don't really trust the news on my TV so I am a little confused: Did Russia already attacked Ukrain or did it just warned Ukrain about a future military conflict?
robb5: I don't really trust the news on my TV so I am a little confused: Did Russia already attacked Ukrain or did it just warned Ukrain about a future military conflict?
They sent 2000 troops to the Crimea and gave the president Putin a wildcard to send more.
I already regret, that my country willingly gave away all nuclear warheads for some piece of paper called memorandum, which can be used to wipe an ass, nothing more. Guarantees of integrity, my ass...
Post edited March 01, 2014 by AzureKite
robb5: I don't really trust the news on my TV so I am a little confused: Did Russia already attacked Ukrain or did it just warned Ukrain about a future military conflict?
I don't think they are "attacking" but now authorized (whether it has happened or not who knows) to send Russian soldiers into Crimea (probably to bolster the people who took control of government buildings yesterday/the day before in the name of Russia). Unsure what this looks like to Ukrainians though (thoughts, AzureKite?)