It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

InkPanther: Imgur links because pics are too big.
GamezRanker: Bit of advice: If you convert them to jpg(like in Paint or another program) that often makes them small enough to post.
Ah, but at what cost?

I do that in Gimp. Most of the time I don't care that much about screenshot quality, but this time I preferred larger file size that comes with .png over high compression. I must admit, even with quality slider below 60% .jpg was surprisingly good and I had to look closer to see those artifacts. Still, that wouldn't do since the only reason to post was to show how nice the game was looking in HD. ;)
GamezRanker: Bit of advice: If you convert them to jpg(like in Paint or another program) that often makes them small enough to post.
InkPanther: Ah, but at what cost?

I do that in Gimp. Most of the time I don't care that much about screenshot quality, but this time I preferred larger file size that comes with .png over high compression. I must admit, even with quality slider below 60% .jpg was surprisingly good and I had to look closer to see those artifacts. Still, that wouldn't do since the only reason to post was to show how nice the game was looking in HD. ;)
The main problem with JPG tends to be text, since it blends colors at the edges and text's basically all an edge, characters being narrow, text color is clearly different from what it should be. Same for some UI elements. In actual images it's far less visible.
Cavalary:
I'd say there's a lot of edges and fine lines in SC3000.
low rated
InkPanther: Ah, but at what cost?
Well, as you said the image quality lessens a bit....but (imo) quality above a certain limit(where artifacts and such aren't as noticeable) is fine for a number of usages(like most "generic screenshot posting"). If I want to post a higher quality screen, I just shrink the png files a bit(length & width) to cut down on size that way, or post it to a site and then link it(as you did).

InkPanther: Still, that wouldn't do since the only reason to post was to show how nice the game was looking in HD. ;)
I hear ya

=-=-=

Cavalary: The main problem with JPG tends to be text, since it blends colors at the edges and text's basically all an edge, characters being narrow, text color is clearly different from what it should be. Same for some UI elements. In actual images it's far less visible.
THIS

When I post images with text I either leave them the same size(but in jpg), or shrink them as png.....as otherwise the text becomes somewhat unreadable(ex: like the text in pic 34 of post 74 above).
Post edited November 18, 2021 by GamezRanker
I'm looking at the list of my games from 1999, and they're good games!, but somehow nothing inspires me to play it right now. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
InkPanther: I'm looking at the list of my games from 1999, and they're good games!, but somehow nothing inspires me to play it right now. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Not sure what you have or already played, but other than I guess the obvious, as in PS:T and Alpha Centauri, could also recommend Septerra Core, Age of Wonders, Pharaoh, probably Dungeon Keeper 2, Worms: Armageddon, and maybe even Silver.
InkPanther: I'm looking at the list of my games from 1999, and they're good games!, but somehow nothing inspires me to play it right now. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I know that feeling. Looking at a list of games and have no desire to play any of them.

But I'm in a worst situation. My bathroom is undergoing some works due to leaks that ruined walls and other things. Because of that I temporarily moved to my mom's house and I'm without my desktop so I can't play any game at all :(
My dream is to move to Portugal, thanks to the Portuguese tax system there are well and safely live citizens and today move to any country you want is not as difficult as you think, thanks to modern companies and systems that make your move a comfortable and hassle-free))
bluethief:
Ouch, that's bad. Hopefully it gets fixed in a timely manner.
bluethief:
InkPanther: Ouch, that's bad. Hopefully it gets fixed in a timely manner.
Thanks. It's been two weeks already, though. The bathroom is fixed, but now it's missing its things: toilet, bidet, washbasin, mirror, etc. These things take time, the materials don't arrive on time, everything gets delayed... you know, the usual stuff with these kind of things, sigh.
As I haven't played anything from 1999 this month, I've got nothing to report.

looks hopelessly at his backlog

Oh well, I'll play those in the future. ;)
And with no posts at all for a whole month, it can probably be said that this challenge is quite truly dead. Pity, it was an interesting idea (and got me to play Fantasy General, at least), but I guess it'd only work in any longer term with strictly dedicated gamers who can sustain a pace of finishing games and either are at least to some extent game historians, to be truly motivated by this chronological approach, or play so much that the times required for these games won't take up too much of their overall gaming time, to still allow them to play other games they'd rather play at the moment.
Cavalary:
The forum in general is pretty dead tbh. And personally I still think these threads are a great idea, even if it's only for talking about classics one has already played.
morolf: The forum in general is pretty dead tbh.
With about a page and a half of active threads per day, and a few gettings dozens of posts, I wouldn't say so.
I'd say the main ideas of the thread were:
a) make some time travelling both into gaming history and also for events/music etc. - IMO it succeeded as I personally had a lot of fun and I still use my findings (yesterday I've listened some disco hits from 90s during my New Year's Eve :D)
b) reduce backlogs and force us to play those always postponed classics - and I think it still succeeded as (once again, my case) I've played some; recently spent 10h+ in Airline Tycoon and I had a lot of fun.

What failed indeed is a plan to significantly reduce our backlogs, but, let's be honest, it was always unrealistic to believe it's possible as those backlogs are a consequence of something (lack of time, life priorities, other duties IRL) and these threads never removed those obstacles, no additional spare time is granted for a commitment here...
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I like these threads and I really hope they'll stay here and I hope there will be someone to dedicate some effort to launch the new editions.