It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

rtcvb32: 4) No no no...I've used AdvanceComp's advpng, and it usually does a really bad job... advdef usually does better, and i can lump .gz files in with it too if i have to. Had something to do with it's more optimized if you wanted to save screenshots or other things for AdvanceMame i think...
Hmm. I'll have to put a statistical comparison between advpng and advdef on my TODO list then.

rtcvb32: Hmmm so the + would deal with the odd 'bad file number' error when you try to send it a few hundred images? Interesting... I know i made a script i still use that separates out zips or png's to run 4 at a time (to match my cores) which gives me better performance overall, and they all finish about the same time... Had to re-write it form bash to awk to make it fast though...
In that case, use this instead

find . -iname "*.png" -print0 | parallel -0X advdef -z4 {}

Here's how it works:

1. GNU parallel takes a list of files or commands and performs some action on them in parallel. (In this case, feeding them to "advdef -z4")

2. -print0 causes find to output a list of files separated by binary NUL characters (one of only two characters not allowed in filenames on POSIX-compliant filesystems, the other being the / path separator.)

3. The -0 flag tells GNU parallel to expect a NUL-separated list rather than a newline-separated list.

4. The -X flag to GNU parallel is equivalent to --exec + with find. It tells it to feed multiple files to the same command up to the command-line length limit.

5. If you don't specify a -j option to GNU parallel, it checks how many CPU cores you have and runs one subprocess for each.

If it's going to take a long time, you may also want to consider using -0 --eta instead of -0X so GNU parallel will display a progress readout and estimated time to completion.

The GNU parallel manual page has examples as well as comparisons to other similar tools, if you find that you don't have access to GNU parallel for some reason.

ssokolow: Also, check out gifsicle -O3 for optimizing Animated GIFs, for losslessly optimizing JPEG files, and [url=https://github.com/svg/svgo]svgo for optimizing SVG files.
rtcvb32: Definitely interested, although i tried to find utilities like these before but had trouble, too much crap clogging google's search engine to help me find them...
It helps if you narrow your search to open-source hosts/directories (example search) and the descriptions on the , [url=https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/?O=0&C=0&SeB=nd&K=recompress&outdated=&SB=n&SO=a&PP=50&do_Search=Go]Arch AUR, , and [url=http://gpo.zugaina.org/Search?search=optimize]Gentoo Overlays package indexes.

Yes, it does rule out closed-source code, but that's a perfectly decent trade-off to make and really cuts the crap, given that people who produce crap would never be willing to open-source their precious "first on earth" solution for the community to "plunder", "steal", or "ruin". (And the various Linux distros' package repositories wouldn't take it if you paid them.)
Post edited February 22, 2015 by ssokolow
http://www.gog.com/forum/capitalism_series/capitalism_2_has_been_updated_to_version_108
http://www.gog.com/forum/freedom_planet/freedom_planet_has_been_updated_to_version_1202
Post edited February 23, 2015 by JudasIscariot
From MaGog's logs for 23 February:

GOG has added USK (German) Rating to its Age Requirements field (for 548 games).

NOTE! CHANGED Freedom Planet, file_size: 307 MB ***TO*** 308 MB

NOTE! CHANGED Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty [Upcoming], age_req: PEGI Rating: 12+ (with Bad Language, Violence) ***TO*** ESRB Rating: Teen (with Violence, Blood, Crude Humor, Language, Use of Tobacco, Violence)

NOTE! CHANGED Stacking, age_req: ESRB Rating: Everyone 10+ (with Violence, Crude Humor, Mild Cartoon Violence, Mild Suggestive Themes, Use of Tobacco). PEGI Rating: 7+ (with Violence) ***TO*** ESRB Rating: Everyone 10+ (with Crude Humor, Mild Cartoon Violence, Mild Suggestive Themes, Use of Tobacco). PEGI Rating: 7+ (with Violence)
mrkgnao: NOTE! CHANGED Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty [Upcoming], age_req: PEGI Rating: 12+ (with Bad Language, Violence) ***TO*** ESRB Rating: Teen (with Violence, Blood, Crude Humor, Language, Use of Tobacco, Violence)
Got to love the violence in that one.
mrkgnao: NOTE! CHANGED Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty [Upcoming], age_req: PEGI Rating: 12+ (with Bad Language, Violence) ***TO*** ESRB Rating: Teen (with Violence, Blood, Crude Humor, Language, Use of Tobacco, Violence)
Grargar: Got to love the violence in that one.
My guess is that it follows the "GOG law of constant violence". If you remove violence from one game (Stacking) you have to add to another game (Tasty), regardless of whether it already has any.
Linux version of Capsized added :)
mrkgnao: From MaGog's logs for 23 February:

GOG has added USK (German) Rating to its Age Requirements field (for 548 games).
Oh no....censored games incoming?
mrkgnao: From MaGog's logs for 23 February:

Wurzelkraft: Oh no....censored games incoming?
NoooooOOOOOoooOO!!
From MaGog's logs for 23 February:

NOTE! CHANGED Capsized, os: Windows (XP, Vista, 7, 8) ***TO*** Windows (XP, Vista, 7, 8) and Linux (Ubuntu 14.04, Mint 17)

NOTE! CHANGED Capsized, sys_req_linux: ***TO*** Ubuntu 14.04, Mint 17, Processor Dual Core CPU, Memory: 1.5 GB RAM, Hard Disk Space: 1.0 GB free space, Video Card: OpenGL 3.0+ support (2.1 with ARB extensions acceptable), Requires glibc 2.15+

NOTE! CHANGED République Remastered Deluxe Edition [Premium] [Upcoming], bonuses: soundtrack, making of République Remastered, 2 prototypes ***TO*** soundtrack (FLAC), soundtrack (MP3), making of République Remastered, 2 prototypes

BTW, tomorrow is a big day!
mrkgnao: BTW, tomorrow is a big day!
Really? What's happening tomorrow?
How is a German rating a censor? I do not know even 1 person under 18 with a credit card or paypal account. So how does this matter? Not accepting it, just really curious.
JudasIscariot:
Noticed a few days ago that the link to the game's forum for Akalabeth: World of Doom on the game shelf goes to the General Discussion forum rather than one for the Ultima series (which I assume is the link that was supposed to be there).
mrkgnao: BTW, tomorrow is a big day!
ZaineH: Really? What's happening tomorrow?
Come back tomorrow...
Shmacky-McNuts: How is a German rating a censor? I do not know even 1 person under 18 with a credit card or paypal account. So how does this matter? Not accepting it, just really curious.
German versions of games tend to be censored, heavily or otherwise.
ZaineH: Really? What's happening tomorrow?
mrkgnao: Come back tomorrow...
Another big day, uh? We have been having quite a few of those lately, haven't we?

EDIT: Would it by any chance have anything to do with the recent USK (German) Rating being added to games?
Post edited February 23, 2015 by Tannath