It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

HypersomniacLive: That's equally not promising, who knows how long the updating will take.
After Galaxy is released? That's the impression I have, but I don't remember if they actually said that.

HypersomniacLive: But what I'm ,ore concerned about is if the notifications will work properly on the updated account pages or if we're going to be enjoying broken updates much longer, and how many things will additionally be broken once they roll out the updated account pages.
The Fresher & Better account pages? Never. It should be worked on during updating the account pages, but let's just say I'm not holding my breath.
Even with MaGog it's really hard to double-check the library. I thought I was missing a game aside from Dark Fall II but apparently I don't. :|
Wurzelkraft: Even with MaGog it's really hard to double-check the library. I thought I was missing a game aside from Dark Fall II but apparently I don't. :|
Why did you think that? Because of empty spaces on your shelf? That is a bug.
(But I admit before having a gogwiki account where I now sync my existing library I always wrote down the number of owned games on gog to check if I had some of the bugs where games went missing for a time)
Wurzelkraft: Even with MaGog it's really hard to double-check the library. I thought I was missing a game aside from Dark Fall II but apparently I don't. :|
moonshineshadow: Why did you think that? Because of empty spaces on your shelf? That is a bug.
(But I admit before having a gogwiki account where I now sync my existing library I always wrote down the number of owned games on gog to check if I had some of the bugs where games went missing for a time)
It helps to keep all your purchase receipts in email,
or at least a screenshot of all of them as a personal reference too.
GhostwriterDoF: It helps to keep all your purchase receipts in email,
or at least a screenshot of all of them as a personal reference too.
Of course. If something is really missing the receipts are quite important. The other things are just for quick checking if everything is allright.
high rated
moonshineshadow: Of course. If something is really missing the receipts are quite important. The other things are just for quick checking if everything is allright.
That does not help with gifts though, as GOG has stopped sending emails for those.
moonshineshadow: Of course. If something is really missing the receipts are quite important. The other things are just for quick checking if everything is allright.
HypersomniacLive: That does not help with gifts though, as GOG has stopped sending emails for those.
Yep. That's really bad. If something really should go missing, without being the regular bug that gets fixed after a day, you now have no way to prove you had the game.
moonshineshadow: Why did you think that? Because of empty spaces on your shelf? That is a bug.
I had a wrong game count in my mind when looking at the given number. I was irritated and went through all of the games to be 100% sure I didn't miss anything. Just took me half an hour. :P
Post edited December 26, 2014 by Wurzelkraft
mrkgnao: The unlinked orphaned "BROKEN SWORD 5 - THE SERPENT'S CURSE" catalogue entry is still there.
Seems like it has gone the way of the dodo.
I seem to remember someone in this thread commenting on the new password-protected RAR installers so, whoever you are, you have you answer:

According to Gowor, they're to prevent malware from being added to pirated copies with intact, digitally-signed EXEs (Fail. You need an unbroken chain of asymmetric crypto for that.) and to force paying customers to install the games via the GOG installer rather than manually unpacking them.
Post edited December 30, 2014 by ssokolow
ssokolow: I seem to remember someone in this thread commenting on the new password-protected RAR installers so, whoever you are, you have you answer:

According to Gowor, they're to prevent malware from being added to pirated copies with intact, digitally-signed EXEs (Fail. You need an unbroken chain of asymmetric crypto for that.) and to force paying customers to install the games via the GOG installer rather than manually unpacking them.
"Another reason - I want to avoid the situation where someone tampers with the archives (let's say adding malware, or some illegal content), and uploads the modified version on torrents. I don't want the GOG Installer installing anything else than it was supposed to, and it doesn't matter how it was obtained. "

This bothers me. Why do they even mention torrents?. Anyone who gets them from those other places are on their own imho...
Am I the only one reading that as moving towards pro-DRM way of thinking? Why would they care about torrents, or piracy, or 'protect' someone from anything related to it?

Is that what's going to happen, next step will be DRM on installers, and then... Yes it bothers me heavily.
ssokolow: I seem to remember someone in this thread commenting on the new password-protected RAR installers so, whoever you are, you have you answer:

Niggles: "Another reason - I want to avoid the situation where someone tampers with the archives (let's say adding malware, or some illegal content), and uploads the modified version on torrents. I don't want the GOG Installer installing anything else than it was supposed to, and it doesn't matter how it was obtained. "

This bothers me. Why do they even mention torrents?. Anyone who gets them from those other places are on their own imho...
Reputation damage by proxy, to some extent... but even then, it's harming more than it's helping because it makes GOG look like they're trying to sneak DRM in bit-by-bit while not stopping determined attackers.

That's why, in that thread, I went into great detail on how, to accomplish what they want, they need a chain of asymmetric crypto. (The OS verifies the signature on the EXE, then the EXE either contains a known-good hash for the RAR that it can check or the RAR contains a cryptographic signature that the EXE can validate)
DeathDiciple: Am I the only one reading that as moving towards pro-DRM way of thinking? Why would they care about torrents, or piracy, or 'protect' someone from anything related to it?

Is that what's going to happen, next step will be DRM on installers, and then... Yes it bothers me heavily.
Well, at least we've got the high ground.

GOG's brand is built on DRM-freeness and DRM is an attitude (the technology is just a symptom). Forcing artificial restrictions on paying customers which can be easily stripped from pirated copies is the textbook definition of DRM.

If we want GOG to backpedal, it's very likely that all we have to do is spread the word with the proper framing (tips) and make sure it doesn't get brushed under the rug. The battle should win itself.

(Or result in GOG's reputation and revenues taking a nosedive, but they already backpedalled on regional pricing, so I don't see that being a danger.)

EDIT: ...and make sure to vote on the wishlist entry.

EDIT: Here are some good quotes to use.
Post edited December 30, 2014 by ssokolow
Outcast popped an updated flag for me, guess it's the 1.1.0.18715 update.
JMich: Outcast popped an updated flag for me, guess it's the 1.1.0.18715 update.
I just redownloaded the damn thing, now I have to do it again!? :P