It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

te_lanus: ...have you tried this? adding ForceRefreshRate = 60 to HKLM using wine's regedit? supposedly works like a charm on my friends pc (but didn't test a lot tried the first stage and didn't get any turbo mode
Hmm. I'll have to see if this works with Hitman. Right now, Hitman and Hitman 2 are nigh-unplayable due to high speed issues, if I try to run them on anything more powerful than a 1.83 Ghz/GMA 950 Core Duo MacBook. :P
rampancy: Game: Tachyon - The Fringe
Thanks. A few things though.
rampancy: How Well Does It Run: Excellently, at 1280 x 800 widescreen resolution using 3Dfx through nGlide (A post on the Steam forums has instructions on how to enable 3Dfx rendering;
Tests should be self-contained. You should not need to go off the site for any basic instructions. Given where this was placed it seems more than just an extra? Linking to more complete instructions is of course fine.
rampancy: Winetricks: None needed. (I did use UseGLSL=disable to boost performance, and directplay to clear up some errors in my wine log.)
You create a new pristine prefix and then pollute it with unnecessary winetricks. This lessens the effort you have already put into it. The UseGLSL is certainly valid. To clean up your log just launch with err-all. Did everything work otherwise without directplay? Some people needed to install directplay in Windows, but Wine's builtin could be sufficient.
Gydion: Tests should be self-contained. You should not need to go off the site for any basic instructions. Given where this was placed it seems more than just an extra? Linking to more complete instructions is of course fine.
The game out of the box has two main executables: space.exe and Tachyon.exe. It's not explicitly stated that Tachyon.exe is the game's launcher and will (for some reason) always reset the game to use Direct3D. Hence, I had no idea how to enable 3Dfx/nGlide or widescreen resolutions, especially as the game doesn't explicitly support them under the options made explicit in-game.

I've amended my original post to shift it to "Install Notes". I originally put it under "How Well Does It Run" because widescreen resolutions may cause issues with performance, especially on lower-end hardware. Additionally when troubleshooting the game or figuring out how to maximize performance, it may help to compare games running under 3Dfx vs. Direct3D.
rampancy: The game out of the box has two main executables: space.exe and Tachyon.exe. It's not explicitly stated that Tachyon.exe is the game's launcher and will (for some reason) always reset the game to use Direct3D. Hence, I had no idea how to enable 3Dfx/nGlide or widescreen resolutions, especially as the game doesn't explicitly support them under the options made explicit in-game.
To be explicit the GOG version is already setup to use 3Dfx/nGlide if you launch with space.exe? I ask as it's still not clear to me.
te_lanus: Game: Temple of Elemental Evil
Extra Add-ons:
Circle of 8:
Needs Java installed for the launcher to work. Runs the same as normal. Tested with the Standard Co8
Could you include the Java installer & hash. This was a problem in the past with newer Java versions being broken in Wine.

te_lanus: Temple+:
Windows version needs to be set to 7 and up, but it won't install :(
This is, among other things, an engine replacement. As such it needs a separate entry. They switched to a DX11 renderer around June. You could try the older version from this thread or post in the GOG thread to see if there is still a DX9 mode somewhere.
Post edited January 15, 2017 by Gydion
Gydion: Could you include the Java installer & hash. This was a problem in the past with newer Java versions being broken in Wine.

This is, among other things, an engine replacement. As such it needs a separate entry. They switched to a DX11 renderer around June. You could try the older version from this thread or post in the GOG thread to see if there is still a DX9 mode somewhere.
I modified it, removed Temple+ for the moment, while looking for a version that works with Wine, and added the Java info that I used (quite old, but does the job)
Is there a way to make IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 run on Wine with Mods? I use the Wine Wrapper from PaulTheTall to run the base game and it works propperly. But when I install the HSFX or the Ultra Pack Mod, the game won't start anymore.
Silverhawk170485: Is there a way to make IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 run on Wine with Mods? I use the Wine Wrapper from PaulTheTall to run the base game and it works propperly. But when I install the HSFX or the Ultra Pack Mod, the game won't start anymore.
Seems like it should work according to AppDB, but I don't know what those mods actually change. Do you need to launch it any differently?
rampancy: ...
Gydion: To be explicit the GOG version is already setup to use 3Dfx/nGlide if you launch with space.exe? I ask as it's still not clear to me.
Yes/No?
Post edited January 17, 2017 by Gydion
JudasIscariot: ...
Can you confirm this Caladrius Blaze result? Is it the same engine as Raiden IV and does it work in Wine?
Post edited January 17, 2017 by Gydion
Gydion: Yes/No?
If you launch the game with space.exe out of the box, the game is preset to use 3Dfx Glide. However, in some environments like Wineskin or PlayOnMac (I can't speak to PoL, but I would reckon it's similar to PlayOnMac, given that it's based off of PlayOnLinux), the user is asked to point to an .exe to be used to launch the game. Immediately it's not made clear to the user what .exe to use: space.exe or Tachyon.exe?

This state of affairs is common for a lot of games that use both dedicated launcher .exes and .exes for the actual game itself. Civilization III Complete is one such game. There is a dedicated launcher for the game that in my experience, doesn't seem to work (even if you install dotNET, which is what it seems to ask for in the Wine error log). However, the game works if you launch it from the Conquests folder. IIRC Paradox's grand strategy games also have a similar setup too.

If a prospective user elected to use Tachyon.exe (a reasonable guess), then the game would be set to use Direct3D. What may further lead to confusion is that in a lot of cases, 3Dfx Glide is either employed through the use of a custom .exe explicitly labelled as a 3Dfx version, or 3Dfx is offered as a rendering option in the game's launcher. For whatever reason, Tachyon has neither of these.

In any case, I think posting the links to the instructions on Steam was perfectly reasonable, given that some users may have tried launching the game through Tachyon.exe and may be left wondering why 3Dfx isn't available, or may be unaware that there is a better way to run the game than the laggy Direct3D renderer.

Silverhawk170485: Is there a way to make IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 run on Wine with Mods? I use the Wine Wrapper from PaulTheTall to run the base game and it works propperly. But when I install the HSFX or the Ultra Pack Mod, the game won't start anymore.
Have you checked your Wine log? Perhaps those mods have dependencies you may not have.
Post edited January 17, 2017 by rampancy
rampancy: a) Has anyone tried Starship Titanic in Wine?
igrok: The game still has the same problem as reported here. (Checked with wine 1.9.24).
rampancy: a) Has anyone tried Starship Titanic in Wine?
Gydion: It has issues as already noted. It is under active development being ported to ScummVM .
What about this other post in the same forum about recompressing the videos? Is that approach legit?
I'm testing The Witcher 3 (1.31) in Wine staging 2.0rc5 which now includes the fix for the virtual heap limit so it doesn't crash on startup anymore. However the initial menu screen is all distorted. Can anyone with Nvidia blob please test the same and check if it's distorted for you too? If it's not, it must be a Mesa bug, and I can file one if that's the case.
Post edited January 17, 2017 by shmerl
Game: Even the Ocean
Installer MD5: c2c8842701724c0944247094bb6499c3 setup_even_the_ocean_2.1.0.2.exe
WineHQ AppDB link: None
CodeWeavers link: None
Distro: Ubuntu Mate 16.04 64-bit
Kernel version: 4.4.0-59-generic x86_64
Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce GT 240
Graphics driver & version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 340.98
Wine version(s) tested: Wine 2.0-rc5-staging via PlayOnLinux,

Install notes: Install & play.
Winetricks: Didn't install any
If using PlayOnLinux, start the game from/create shortcut from "EventheOcean"
How well does it run: played it a bit without problems
Gydion: Seems like it should work according to AppDB, but I don't know what those mods actually change. Do you need to launch it any differently?
The mods are selfexecuting packed files which will be only copied in the gamefolder. They add and overwirite some files. It's not possible to install them with the exe-file under Wine, maybe because there are some dependencies missing. So I unpacked them with a zip program and placed them in the game folder manually. After that you have to start the mod enabler exe and activate the mod. You start the game with the normal game exe. I can exclude that I installed the mods wrong because I also tried to copy the folder of the installed, modded and working game from my Windows PC to my Mac and run it with Wine. No luck.

rampancy: Have you checked your Wine log? Perhaps those mods have dependencies you may not have.
I'm going to check that.
Post edited January 17, 2017 by Silverhawk170485
shmerl: I'm testing The Witcher 3 (1.31) in Wine staging 2.0rc5 which now includes the fix for the virtual heap limit so it doesn't crash on startup anymore. However the initial menu screen is all distorted. Can anyone with Nvidia blob please test the same and check if it's distorted for you too? If it's not, it must be a Mesa bug, and I can file one if that's the case.
It's distorted here too (GTX 750Ti, driver version 375.26)