It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

DRM-free approach in games has been at the heart of GOG.COM from day one. We strongly believe that if you buy a game, it should be yours, and you can play it the way it’s convenient for you, and not how others want you to use it.

The landscape has changed since 2008, and today many people don’t realize what DRM even means. And still the DRM issue in games remains – you’re never sure when and why you can be blocked from accessing them. And it’s not only games that are affected, but your favourite books, music, movies and apps as well.

To help understand what DRM means, how it influences your games and other digital media, and what benefits come with DRM-free approach, we’re launching the FCK DRM initiative. The goal is to educate people and ignite a discussion about DRM. To learn more visit https://fckdrm.com, and share your opinions and stories about DRM and how it affects you.
vv221: Actually Valve said that reviews about DRM and/or EULA would not be considered as valid and would not count towards a game score.

Sorry, I do not have the source anymore (it was linked in another thread on GOG forums).
amok: yes? and if gOg said reviews which does not deal with the game itself do not count towards the score on gOg - is it DRM?

or do you mean it is valid is it is one of the review topics they consider contextual (i.e. not part of the actual game) is about DRM? so it is not about DRM, but about discussions about DRM. Anyway, they let the reviews stay, they do not remove them. All they have said is that they no longer let review-bombs dealing with contextual topics influence the game score.
CENSORSHIP!!!
ChrisGriffin: I think that GOG should focus more bringing more indie games (and more games in general) instead of worrying about the DRM on other sites.

GOG's broken curation system (and broken people who create it) are far more dangerous to the future of this site.

The number of games rejected by the so called "curators" is appaling and they continue to allienate good game developers from this site.
no they should focus on old triple A titles, i dnt want this site turning into an itchi.io or whatever it is, with unknown games and developers. ofc having some indie games is good but you need triple A titles to actually be noticed as a platform
Hey @GOG:

https://www.gog.com/forum/general/drm_even_beats_tron
The linked story is something that probably happens every week but a lot of times just goes unnoticed.
It sad to see many people don't really get what DRM is. If you browse around top comments on some of popular YouTuber on this particular issue, lot's of them thinking: "Physical disk =! DRM" or "Steam is the lesser form of DRM". DRM is still DRM, no matter in any shape of form, and owning the physical copy doesn't guaranteed you lifetime access to the game either. GOG.com should goes all out with this FCK DRM campaign.
Post edited December 05, 2019 by wormholewizards
wormholewizards: GOG.com should goes all out with this FCK DRM campaign.
They won’t, as they actually support DRM use.
wormholewizards: GOG.com should goes all out with this FCK DRM campaign.
vv221: They won’t, as they actually support DRM use.
And lots of the games they sell come with some (implicit like being server based or explicit like serial numbers) DRM if you want to do multiplayer. So I would even say its questionable that they put themselves onto that https://fckdrm.com/ site.
wormholewizards: It sad to see many people don't really get what DRM is. If you browse around top comments on some of popular YouTuber on this particular issue, lot's of them thinking: "Physical disk =! DRM" or "Steam is the lesser form of DRM". DRM is still DRM, no matter in any shape of form, and owning the physical copy doesn't guaranteed you lifetime access to the game either. GOG.com should goes all out with this FCK DRM campaign.
The FCKDRM campaign does little to educate, just merely a cheeky giggle at the name and that's about it.

Be much more efficient to make an actual attempt to inform rather than get that 'hehe naughty word'
high rated
This is nice to show what steam do, maybe more will finally leave it.
low rated
My first post here.

"We strongly believe that if you buy a game, it should be yours, and you can play it the way it’s convenient for you, and not how others want you to use it."

This is a lie.

I bought a GOG game yesterday, managed to get it working through WINE. Went to play multiplayer and was told I needed to download a proprietary client to connect to a proprietary server to play with other people. This is DRM.

The original non-GOGed game supported multiplayer via LAN as well as online.

FCK DRM and FCK GOG. I won't buy another product from GOG as long as they are nerfing the multiplayer mode in games to force their DRM'd proprietary system on users.
David_Healey: My first post here.

"We strongly believe that if you buy a game, it should be yours, and you can play it the way it’s convenient for you, and not how others want you to use it."

This is a lie.

I bought a GOG game yesterday, managed to get it working through WINE. Went to play multiplayer and was told I needed to download a proprietary client to connect to a proprietary server to play with other people. This is DRM.

The original non-GOGed game supported multiplayer via LAN as well as online.

FCK DRM and FCK GOG. I won't buy another product from GOG as long as they are nerfing the multiplayer mode in games to force their DRM'd proprietary system on users.
Which game?

A couple of points:

1. The DRM-free promise has only ever applied to the single player portion of games.
2. GOG doesn't add Galaxy support, the developer or publisher does. If previously existing LAN support has been removed, it will have been done so by the developer or publisher.

People can probably offer more information if you say which game it is.
Post edited March 26, 2020 by SirPrimalform
SirPrimalform: A couple of points:

1. The DRM-free promise has only ever applied to the single player portion of games.
Please find me where it says that on FCKDRM.com. The standard to be featured on that site is "100% DRM-free". Not "singleplayer DRM-free". Not "most of the games are DRM-free". Not "well, you have to have multiplayer DRM or else people might cheat". 100% DRM-free.

And before anyone says other games have third-party authentication, it's not just Galaxy-requirement that's the issue, yes, those games are at issue too in terms of violating the 100% DRM-free standard. DRM-free forms of multiplayer include: direct connect online, play by e-mail, LAN (without arbitrary restrictions), hotseat, splitscreen, etc.

One thing that's been swept under the rug in recent years all across gaming is that multiplayer modes DO NOT REQUIRE DRM. Yes, developers and publishers insist upon them for various reasons, but in theory there is no reason we couldn't have DRM-free multiplayer.
rjbuffchix: Please find me where it says that on FCKDRM.com. The standard to be featured on that site is "100% DRM-free". Not "singleplayer DRM-free". Not "most of the games are DRM-free". Not "well, you have to have multiplayer DRM or else people might cheat". 100% DRM-free.

And before anyone says other games have third-party authentication, it's not just Galaxy-requirement that's the issue, yes, those games are at issue too in terms of violating the 100% DRM-free standard. DRM-free forms of multiplayer include: direct connect online, play by e-mail, LAN (without arbitrary restrictions), hotseat, splitscreen, etc.

One thing that's been swept under the rug in recent years all across gaming is that multiplayer modes DO NOT REQUIRE DRM. Yes, developers and publishers insist upon them for various reasons, but in theory there is no reason we couldn't have DRM-free multiplayer.
It's been limited to single player on GOG.com since inception as far as I'm aware. Even before Galaxy games frequently required a serial key in order to access multiplayer.

With that being the case, why are you even here if you find it unacceptable?

Of course DRM-free multiplayer is possible, no one in this conversation is suggesting it isn't. But my point is that GOG doesn't guarantee DRM-free multiplayer and never has.
SirPrimalform: It's been limited to single player on GOG.com since inception as far as I'm aware. Even before Galaxy games frequently required a serial key in order to access multiplayer.
You can't say I didn't try...lol:
rjbuffchix: And before anyone says other games have third-party authentication, it's not just Galaxy-requirement that's the issue, yes, those games are at issue too in terms of violating the 100% DRM-free standard.
SirPrimalform: With that being the case, why are you even here if you find it unacceptable?
I want to buy big releases DRM-free and identify with the original vision of the store.

David_Healey: [your post]
Honestly I recommend you do like I do: focus on the titles that don't require that stuff. There are so many amazing releases here, literally including most of my favorite games ever made. That's not to say I don't own some of the games with the requirements here as well but I do at least try to voice my desire for them to have DRM-free options too.
Post edited March 26, 2020 by rjbuffchix
rjbuffchix: You can't say I didn't try...lol:
You tried, but your aim was way off. I wasn't saying "only a Galaxy requirement is DRM", I'm saying that GOG has never had a 100% DRM-free standard according to your definition.

rjbuffchix: I want to buy big releases DRM-free and identify with the original vision of the store.
The original vision of the store having always included games with DRM'd multiplayer, gotcha.