It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

DRM-free approach in games has been at the heart of GOG.COM from day one. We strongly believe that if you buy a game, it should be yours, and you can play it the way it’s convenient for you, and not how others want you to use it.

The landscape has changed since 2008, and today many people don’t realize what DRM even means. And still the DRM issue in games remains – you’re never sure when and why you can be blocked from accessing them. And it’s not only games that are affected, but your favourite books, music, movies and apps as well.

To help understand what DRM means, how it influences your games and other digital media, and what benefits come with DRM-free approach, we’re launching the FCK DRM initiative. The goal is to educate people and ignite a discussion about DRM. To learn more visit https://fckdrm.com, and share your opinions and stories about DRM and how it affects you.
low rated
Kanashe: Uh-huh, sure it doesn't. You keep telling yourself that, trust me when I say a good portion of GoG users are either hipsters or so called "rebels" who consider themselves special snowflakes by buying games on this place. Yeah, sure it is tell that to GoG and how much money they probably lose because of people easily using pirated games from torrents they sell, thus costing them money.
HeathGCF: It may surprise you to learn that I don't consider myself to be a 'hipster' or a 'rebel' in any shape or form. What I simply do is vote with my wallet, when considering purchases of any product. Be that a computer game, a kettle, or anything else.

Insofar as my purchasing of PC games is concerned, I made a conscious decision to only buy from GOG back in 2015. Why? Simple really, I wasn't happy with the quality or service provided elsewhere. I had a Steam account and wasn't happy with the 'service' they provided, principally due to problems accessing what I'd paid for offline. Their customer service, to use the term loosely, was also atrocious and uncaring.

I can buy games that interest me from GOG without any hassle whatsoever. They accept my preferred online payment method and whenever I have encountered any issues, customer support has always been friendly, helpful and responsive.

I can honestly tell you that prior to 2015, all the problems I had with games not working or installing properly were directly related to DRM. Repeated bad luck perhaps, but they are personal experiences that led me change how I purchase games. Indeed, I still have boxed games that didn't work because of DRM problems, which still haven't been resolved to this day. No refunds were offered by either the stores or the developers/publishers.

For sure, I could quite easily pirate games I might fancy playing, but I choose not to. I choose to support a company that provides me with a quality level of service I'm happy with, and developers who also offer their products DRM free via GOG. I have backups of all the games I own - and that's the operative word here.

I trust them, they trust me. It's a win-win situation I'm entirely happy with.
GoG doesn't trust you, they don't give a fuck about you or anyone here. All they care is a simple fact of "Hey, how can we scam these suckers for money while acting like we give a flying fuck for 'em?" The answer is simple, keep on hammering how they're against DRM and all that "consumer friendly" or "gamers are important" bullshit. Which seems to work wonders, since a good number of people here have removed their brains and would blindly hail GoG or CDPR for anything they do. Also, quality level of service? That's an effing joke, since some games they have here are either an unpatched mess, overpriced more than on Steam and many other things. Hell, their costumer support is twice the joke and makes Steams seem twice if not four times better.
GOG.com: ...
Lifthrasil: Also your list of DRM-free sources is very incomplete. Especially in the Games section. Of course I understand that you are using this initiative mainly as advertisement for yourselves, but as it is now the information you provide is false. You create the impression that GOG is the only place where to get DRM-free games, but that's not true. I understand that you don't want to advertise for competitors, but at least add 'and others' to that line.

Or if you actually want to be honest and not only advertise GOG, then you should add fireflower games and Zoom platform to that list. Both are 100% DRM-free (i.e. even more DRM-free than GOG). You might also add itch.io, which is mostly DRM-free.

In the books section you might add audio-books: Librivox. It's not only DRM-free, it is completely free because those are public-domain works read by volunteers.
This whole initiative made me look up the other stores again and look what I found:
https://www.zoom-platform.com/#store-trickstyle
With exclusive Mac and Linux ports (the only Linux port on Zoom in general).
I wonder what happened there.
Especially cynic reading the first three words here:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/release_trickstyle_3ffee/page1
Post edited August 22, 2018 by Klumpen0815
keep up the good work and stuff gog
Magmarock: I like where this is going but there's one major problem I have with it. One of the affiliate links was promoting Linux. Why is this a problem. While it's true that Windows is both closed source and uses DRM while GNU/Linux id open source and DRM free it shares the same weakness as DRM software
Lol this is so crazy. I am only going to respond because someone might think you know what you are talking about.

Magmarock: Backup, copy, use anywhere
Backups from a Linux repository will not work in future release of the kernel
This is not true. Look up what Linus has said about this. Kernel never breaks userspace.

Magmarock: Access offline
Without Internet Linux will not be able to install any drivers, programs or much of anything. Without internet Linux is useless.
It's windows that requires you to be online to log into your computer, not linux. With linux you can install, log in, and run anything you want without a network connection. Linux default is to log in offline. In fact network login is fairly hard to set up but that's a whole 'nother thing. I have no idea what this even means.

Magmarock: Support digital preservation
Linux suffers from severe deprecation preventing backwards compatibility for a lot of games and programs.
This can sometimes be true. Open source ecosystem prefers to preserve through maintaining source code rather than throwing binaries over the wall and hoping they still work in 50 years. That never works, on any OS. Why do you think most games on GOG run in emulators like dosbox and scummvm (open source software like linux by the way) or with wrappers/shims? Also wine was developed for linux and has better backwards compatibility than windows. Yeah, move along, move along.

EDIT:
Also, GOG does not really support linux so your premise is incorrect.
Post edited August 22, 2018 by maxRunnr
HeathGCF: Insofar as my purchasing of PC games is concerned, I made a conscious decision to only buy from GOG back in 2015. Why? Simple really, I wasn't happy with the quality or service provided elsewhere. I had a Steam account and wasn't happy with the 'service' they provided, principally due to problems accessing what I'd paid for offline. Their customer service, to use the term loosely, was also atrocious and uncaring.
Mawthra: Until you're like me and you buy a game on GOG and find that it's missing key patches that included fixing game breaking bugs and you reach out to the developers and publishers and hear nothing but silence... this problem is rampant on GOG and nothing ever seems to be done about it... GOG has really been a Catch 22 for me in one too many instances... got me some no-DRM and at the same time got me some outdated, unsupported garbage
I'm quite aware of that being a problem, as there's quite a lot of threads here discussing precisely that topic. However, my view is that when it comes to updates, that ball is very firmly in the ball of the developer/publisher, rather than the platform of release, be it Steam, GOG, or otherwise.

Certainly, GOG could probably do more in terms of pushing developers to fulfil their obligation to customers here, but the responsibility is still that of the developer/publisher, when all's said and done. At least, that's my view.

The vast majority of my purchases here are older games, which usually work fine and for which there's no longer any updates offered or required. Any newer games I've purchased, updates and patches have been made available in what I consider to be a timely fashion, for the most part.

That said, I don't tend to pre-order or buy games immediately upon release these days, apart from Kingdom Come - Deliverance earlier this year, which reminded me why I usually wait a few months before buying newer game releases. However, patch releases seemed arrive here at a reasonable pace with other platforms.

I do see people often complaining about multiplayer options here, but that's something that doesn't affect me. I only play single player games, although I do appreciate that for those who want MP and achievements, or those kinds of things, it might be frustrating waiting longer for them at GOG.
high rated
Kanashe: GoG doesn't trust you, they don't give a fuck about you or anyone here. All they care is a simple fact of "Hey, how can we scam these suckers for money while acting like we give a flying fuck for 'em?" The answer is simple, keep on hammering how they're against DRM and all that "consumer friendly" or "gamers are important" bullshit. Which seems to work wonders, since a good number of people here have removed their brains and would blindly hail GoG or CDPR for anything they do. Also, quality level of service? That's an effing joke, since some games they have here are either an unpatched mess, overpriced more than on Steam and many other things. Hell, their costumer support is twice the joke and makes Steams seem twice if not four times better.
Clearly, we've had different experiences, but it also seems more than apparent you have some axe to grind.

If your abusive posting demeanour is any indication, then perhaps that's the reason your experience of GOG's customer service might have been different to my own. They've always been polite and helpful whenever I've had the need to contact them, but that's because I'm polite and friendly when I contact them. It might come as a shock to you, but that often goes a long way when you're dealing with real people.
Post edited August 22, 2018 by HeathGCF
high rated
Kanashe: ...
Please, tell us how many of your 141 GOG games you've paid for and how "hipster" and "rebel" you feel for doing so.

Mawthra: Until you're like me and you buy a game on GOG and find that it's missing key patches that included fixing game breaking bugs and you reach out to the developers and publishers and hear nothing but silence... this problem is rampant on GOG and nothing ever seems to be done about it... GOG has really been a Catch 22 for me in one too many instances... got me some no-DRM and at the same time got me some outdated, unsupported garbage
You make it sound as if Valve were permanently working their arses off to keep devs in check and their games up to date.
Post edited August 22, 2018 by muntdefems
GOG.com: To help understand what DRM means, how it influences your games and other digital media, and what benefits come with DRM-free approach, we’re launching the FCK DRM initiative.
So much for civility. o.O
GOG is simply the best. ^_^
FraggingBard: It isn't though. At a LAN with friends, can't play a game together in the same room as we need to log into an online account first
Sounds like Galaxy to me :p
high rated
fuck denuvo.
high rated
Koitenshin: As others have said you need to have a better approach to this.

While I appreciate the efforts, you're only listing GOG.com under Games without DRM category.
I also know of Itch.io, and the Humble Trove. Although there are probably others out there as well.

FCKDRM really needs a better name, perhaps the "No DRM Initiative, League, or Coalition"
Obviously don't use all 3 words unless you want to.

If it looks more professional and less like something a 13 year old kid would make, you could start an entire revolution.
The more professional approach happened in about 2008 with Stardock releasing the Gamers Bill of Rights.

It was mocked, belittled, and eventually crushed beneath the weight of pro-drm, steam fanatics and game websites that were becoming increasingly fan-boyish to big publishers.

Remaining mature has retired countless games to a graveyard that future generations will never have access to (regardless of if they were good or bad.)

Besides, FCK; Fight Content Kill-switches is kind of cool.
Elmofongo: Letting everyone know that even though I had it on Steam for years, I rebought Elder Scrolls Oblivion here. Because Fck DRM.
I am sure you are not the only one :) I was given marrowind and oblivion and then was pissed when I had to activate on steam AND oblivion shivering isles had S7 as a gift that keeps on tearing up your computer.
muntdefems: You make it sound as if Valve were permanently working their arses off to keep devs in check and their games up to date.
They don't have to... the devs and publishers just update their titles on Steam before anywhere else because:

#1 Devs can upload their patches the second they finish them without any interaction with Valve whatsoever, that's common knowledge how Steam works... it seems most devs I've come in contact with regarding patches for GOG games don't seem to know that for Galaxy users, at least, they can do the same thing (this I know because for some games Galaxy will get the patch shortly after Steam does even though the backup installers might not come for days or weeks later... yah, those packaged installers GOG has to do manually take time)... but case in point, I contacted Zach from Zachtronics directly to see if he could update Opus Magnum on GOG to be on par with the Steam release... not only did he respond 13 minutes later to my email saying he'd do it, 58 minutes after that he emailed me back saying the patch was complete and he had already sent it to GOG... that was on Friday and guess what... neither Galaxy or the backup installers have been updated as of me writing this... he was so awesome about it, he even Dropbox'd me a zip package with the up-to-date DRM-free build of the game with the Windows, Linux and macOS builds in it to hold me over till GOG got around to updating the game on their end

#2 Most devs put all their focus where the highest concentration of users are, and unfortunately, that's not GOG

Granted, these are really issues that affect newer titles and not older stuff... but when you choose GOG for a newer title over Steam because of no DRM and then realize that the much needed patches aren't coming... that plain old sucks and then you ask yourself... was the DRM-free version worth it? I have a huge library here on GOG, but there are way too many games in it that I had to write off because the builds are all old and I play the title on Steam because of it
Post edited August 22, 2018 by Mawthra
I just have one question...

...what does FC Kaiserslautern have to do with DRM?

(Other than that both are pretty objectively terrible, but beyond that...)