It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

DRM-free approach in games has been at the heart of GOG.COM from day one. We strongly believe that if you buy a game, it should be yours, and you can play it the way it’s convenient for you, and not how others want you to use it.

The landscape has changed since 2008, and today many people don’t realize what DRM even means. And still the DRM issue in games remains – you’re never sure when and why you can be blocked from accessing them. And it’s not only games that are affected, but your favourite books, music, movies and apps as well.

To help understand what DRM means, how it influences your games and other digital media, and what benefits come with DRM-free approach, we’re launching the FCK DRM initiative. The goal is to educate people and ignite a discussion about DRM. To learn more visit https://fckdrm.com, and share your opinions and stories about DRM and how it affects you.
GOG.com: DRM-free approach in games has been at the heart of GOG.COM from day one. We strongly believe that if you buy a game, it should be yours, and you can play it the way it’s convenient for you, and not how others want you to use it.

The landscape has changed since 2008, and today many people don’t realize what DRM even means. And still the DRM issue in games remains – you’re never sure when and why you can be blocked from accessing them. And it’s not only games that are affected, but your favourite books, music, movies and apps as well.

To help understand what DRM means, how it influences your games and other digital media, and what benefits come with DRM-free approach, we’re launching the FCK DRM initiative. The goal is to educate people and ignite a discussion about DRM. To learn more visit https://fckdrm.com, and share your opinions and stories about DRM and how it affects you.
YES! F**K DRM!!!
high rated
mechmouse: I've had arguments with people that absolutely deny that Steam is a subscription service, there argument is "you don't pay a monthly fee" and when shown the SSA they say "it doesn't mean that".
You're right - payment isn't a core part of the definition of whether something is a subscription or not. People subscribe to my newsletter, but it doesn't cost them anything.
somberfox: In truth, it was only a side affect of the site's original focus of being about old classic games that came from a time period where DRM didn't really exist.
There was definitely DRM in the early games. In fact, many of the games I played on my C64 had DRM in to either stop you copying them/backing them up, or to stop you playing them if you didn't own the manual/code disk. The original games for many of the 8 bit computers on tape would likely be unplayable nowadays. It's only the fact that the DRM was cracked and removed that means the games are still playable.
Post edited August 21, 2018 by kdgog
It might have been a good idea to have a more media friendly name than FCKDRM.
mike_cesara: Well, I didn't win my d*ck on lottery..
Beside that I fully agree with the initiative.
gamesfreak64: d*ck ?????
if you refer to the word you can use it without * cause its a common name for a guy: Dick
the other meaning is slang , it depends on how you put something in context

Google:

Dick is a common English language dysphemism used for a variety of slang purposes, some generally considered ...
gamesfreak64: Anyway, we dont have that problem in Dutch language, cause Dick is like in Dick Tracey, Dick van Dyke, .....
nothing to laugh or be angry about.
I meant Willy ; )

Someone here mentioned problems with Fallout while abroad. Steam users from central and eastern part of Europe should beware of Bethesda* games in general. Despite western price those are usually locked outside of your country. Different forum page and DLC's aren't compatible. You can't even gift some of them, even in your country (e.g. Dishonored).

*Especially RHCP versions (Russian Hungarian Czech Polish)

I can see some sissies felt offended with literal naming of the initiative. Good, let me say it loud: F U C K D R M!
Due to ridiculous protections I couldn't play so many games I paid for, no one and nothing will convince me otherwise.
Fix The Escapists: The Walking Dead so it doesn't need galaxy to play it.
227: Oooh, I like the new aggressive tone.

It just comes across as a little disingenuous while CDPR licenses Geralt out to Soul Calibur VI, considering that game went up for preorder on Steam yesterday with an EULA suggesting that it'll use Denuvo. I know CDPR and GOG are technically separate companies, but Geralt is as close to a DRM-free mascot as gaming has.
Holy shit, CDPR lends out one of their characters for inclusion in someone else's game that will have DRM and you go at them for that?

The GOG audience/community flabbergasts me sometimes. I mean I'm hardcore against DRM, believe copyright needs to be reigned in considerably, donate to the EFF every years, etc., etc., but I'm not looking to pound a company over every little business decision, as long as they are getting the big stuff right.
Dreadz: GOG going into political activism soon?

Dude, they have been since day one with this no drm thing...
MrZeno: It might have been a good idea to have a more media friendly name than FCKDRM.
GNTLYRMNCDRM
GOG.com: To help understand what DRM means, how it influences your games and other digital media, and what benefits come with DRM-free approach, we’re launching the FCK DRM initiative. The goal is to educate people and ignite a discussion about DRM. To learn more visit https://fckdrm.com, and share your opinions and stories about DRM and how it affects you.
ZFR: But what does FCK stand for?
Fondle, Caress & Kiss, of course.
Let's see how those whiny babies on ResetEra will react to this.

Ahem, with that aside, I approve of this idea.
BYE
DRM

How about this?
MrZeno: It might have been a good idea to have a more media friendly name than FCKDRM.
They did about 10y ago with creating gog.com and simply "no drm" but even if new games got released also here the media often said "available on XBox, PSx & Steam (some did not even bother with simply "PC" anymore)".

Besides its not like media friendly variants like Defective by Design got much momentum outside the people that care already anyway.

Anti DRM no matter how nice or rude is simply not media friendly because because big company ad revenue money is as media friendly as it is pro DRM.

And after years not being able to sell me Skyrim and now Fallout 4 no matter how hard they try I do can understand gogs desire to yell a loud frustrated "FCK YOU!" into the world ;)
Pretty terrible name that doesn't entice people to take it seriously.
I will always prefer to buy DRM-free because it's just more consumer-friendly, but generally-speaking I feel like one of those disaster preppers. The only time I've been barred from playing games on Steam for any appreciable length of time was when I had very spotty internet connectivity and Steam had a bug that made it lose your login information after a few days, making it unuseable even offline. For the future, who knows? Even if Steam went out of business and they made no provision to keep the games playable, it's such a distant proposition that it's more likely the games I have now will become incompatible with newer hardware/OS first. Unless GOG updates them again.
I agree with the spirit of this initiative but honestly from GOG it comes off as insincere and self-serving. They only support platforms built on DRM: OSX and Windows. When given the opportunity to walk the walk and support DRM free platforms they often conclude it's not actually worth their effort.

But if you are interested in running DRM free games on platforms full of DRM, yay go GOG.