It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Redecorating the house. Not too bad as such, it's just that there are some things that are fundamentally hard to make to work because of the shape of our apartment. There are other constraints too: for instance, I would like to set my desktop a) sideways on the desk to free up space, or b) on the right-hand side where it doesn't obstruct visibility as much, or c) on the floor for both benefits, but a) my desk is shallow and relatively narrow, so putting the massive tower sideways would either push everything forward or create a precarious and unsightly overhang, b) my desk is still pretty narrow, so I would lose about half my mousepad area, and c) the box would just hoover up all the cat litter.

On the plus side, my Steam has started working again all of a sudden.
DubConqueror: Yes, I might be expecting a mature chat too much. Me, my brother, my cousin and maybe some others too are in their 30's or 40's, but it could well be the clan-members who make fun are still visiting secondary school. Makes you feel sad though, for gay youngsters just discovering their sexual orientation when they're at school in their puberty.
VABlitz: Unfortunately it's part of growing up. Until this society starts celebrating intellectual achievements instead of physical athletic achievements I feel it will only continue. I think society is too close to an idiocracy to change, but I still have a little hope.
Idiocracy. Christ, is that ever an understatement.
qux: Idiocracy. Christ, is that ever an understatement.
We should be celebrating intellectual achievement above all. Otherwise, instead of a kid wanting to grow up to be an astronaut, or a fireman, or a doctor, they want to grow up to be the next reality TV star - the next Kardashian.

We're celebrating stupidity. The pandering of society to all forms of idiocy.
The democratization of morons.
qux: Idiocracy. Christ, is that ever an understatement.
Getcomposted: We should be celebrating intellectual achievement above all. Otherwise, instead of a kid wanting to grow up to be an astronaut, or a fireman, or a doctor, they want to grow up to be the next reality TV star - the next Kardashian.

intelligence is something you're born with. celebrating it wouldn't change much regarding the youth.
Post edited September 16, 2014 by Soccorro
What started out as a good day, with the GOG release of Shadowgate: Special Edition, has taken an unfortunate turn. Come next week, I will be joining the ranks of the unemployed. While I am relieved to have a little bit of advanced notice, this is still a tough blow. I have been the only person working in my household for a while, so things are going to get gloomy very quickly. I'm staying in good spirits for now, but I can feel the depression clawing at the back of my skull. Hopefully, I can turn this around sooner rather than later, but I am very nervous about the job prospects right now. At least I have my health, right? ^_^;
Tekkaman-James: What started out as a good day, with the GOG release of Shadowgate: Special Edition, has taken an unfortunate turn. Come next week, I will be joining the ranks of the unemployed. While I am relieved to have a little bit of advanced notice, this is still a tough blow. I have been the only person working in my household for a while, so things are going to get gloomy very quickly. I'm staying in good spirits for now, but I can feel the depression clawing at the back of my skull. Hopefully, I can turn this around sooner rather than later, but I am very nervous about the job prospects right now. At least I have my health, right? ^_^;
:(I'm sorry to read this, not only because my own employment situation is a bit touch-and-go but because it's unfortunate or anyone to suddenly find themselves in your position. I wish you the best in finding a new job that you hopefully enjoy ASAP.
Ragnarblackmane: :(I'm sorry to read this, not only because my own employment situation is a bit touch-and-go but because it's unfortunate or anyone to suddenly find themselves in your position. I wish you the best in finding a new job that you hopefully enjoy ASAP.
Thanks for the kind words and sentiment. I appreciate it very much and will do my best.
Getcomposted: We should be celebrating intellectual achievement above all. Otherwise, instead of a kid wanting to grow up to be an astronaut, or a fireman, or a doctor, they want to grow up to be the next reality TV star - the next Kardashian.

Soccorro: intelligence is something you're born with. celebrating it wouldn't change much regarding the youth.
Agree.

And there's something to be said for hard work and dedication, and that's something that athletics brings to society. Successful athletes don't end up where they are by accident - they have natural talent, to be sure, but without the effort to back it up it goes nowhere. Let us celebrate that there are people who put forth that effort. Sure, it's sports. So what? More people are doing the same thing for more "useful" endeavors, and that should also be admired. If we need sports to be the vehicle that inspires passion, the thing that shows our kids that it's good to go whole hog into something they enjoy, then so be it.

Soccorro: intelligence is something you're born with. celebrating it wouldn't change much regarding the youth.
You may be born with intelligence, but you still have to work at it in order to learn.
If we don't teach the next generations how to learn and instill the desire to learn in them, they'll just get stupider and stupider and the rich/poor divide will get wider.
They won't want to learn at school, they'll mess around, and leave as soon as possible, and as each generation derides intellectualism more, the people who did learn at school will get the better paying jobs and jealousy will rear its ugly head.
Then we'll get young girls that state that their life ambition is to be [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jade_Goody#2002.E2.80.9303:_Big_Brother_3]Jade Goody[/url].
Or they think their fortunes will be made on a reality TV show.
They may be cheap to make, but the dumbing down of mass media is one of the worst things that can happen, in my opinion.
Nowadays all the walkthroughs, strategy guides, etc, are in video form, because people are morons, are incapable of typing words, assume that we can easy "scroll" a video to the point where we are stuck without getting the rest spoiled, and because they are encouraged so by the imbecile websites that host their bunch of youtube links.

And it discourages me. Generally speaking. As an evolution. Beyong the gaming question itself.
Telika: Nowadays all the walkthroughs, strategy guides, etc, are in video form, because people are morons, are incapable of typing words, assume that we can easy "scroll" a video to the point where we are stuck without getting the rest spoiled, and because they are encouraged so by the imbecile websites that host their bunch of youtube links.

And it discourages me. Generally speaking. As an evolution. Beyong the gaming question itself.
Even worse, 'walkthroughs' that are just video's of someone playing the game, instead of a person talking you through the game, what's going on, how he's doing something and why.

I searched for so called 'walkthroughs' on YouTube for the game Battlefield Bad Company (for PC3), but to find the correct part in the endless tape of firefights without some commentary or parcelling up into chapters (other than 'part 1', 'part 2', 'part 3'). Sheer laziness.

The walkthroughs of former days written in .txt format where awesome!

I actually came here to bitch about how my depression comes back to haunt me just by looking at the layout of the forum.

And did they already solve the auto-merge, so that this completely unrelated remark isn't stuck to my previous one?

Apparently not. Sigh.

Newer, fresher, depresser ...
Post edited September 17, 2014 by DubConqueror
Today I dreamed that I was somewhere on a street, minding my own business, when Justin Bieber came along and assaulted me and I smashed his face in. Apparently I also encountered him before and after in different places and each time he was a total asshole.

It was a disturbing night.
F4LL0UT: Today I dreamed that I was somewhere on a street, minding my own business, when Justin Bieber came along and assaulted me and I smashed his face in. Apparently I also encountered him before and after in different places and each time he was a total asshole.

It was a disturbing night.
Isn't that a flash game? Beating up Justin Bieber?
Getcomposted: Isn't that a flash game? Beating up Justin Bieber?
Are you suggesting that my dreams are made in Flash?
RMA'd gpu, got new one back fast - and it still has the same damn blue line problem. Well, not same, actually its worse.

Sent little brothers gpu to the seller, because its suddenly working 20C too hot - they sent it back and said its "normal" - to be continued..

Have 4th totally different gpu - its also running way too hot out of box. Asus is telling me to check if the fan is connected properly. the joy.

Ordered new primary gpu for my own (!) computer, the seller sent me wrong one and at too expensive price as well.

^
All above in the last 2 weeks. Wtf ive ever done to gpu's? :/
Post edited September 20, 2014 by iippo