It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Sachys: Misconception (my dad would have your teeth for that as a former Merchant Navyman - even in his current frail state). Heheh.
It doesn't actually refer to the British and is quite offensive to many (particularly non-English Brits of course in regards to the general American use of it; "A Limey accent" for instance).
tinyE: It's a misconception from your point of view. As it shows up in most if not all American dictionaries as a slang term for a British person then my definition of it is correct as far as being a resident of the States goes. I just have to make sure not to use it as such should I ever travel abroad because as soon as I leave this country it will no longer be a slang term for a British person.
Wikipedia is never wrong so I think you're good to go. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limey

And, by gawd, if the Oxford English Dictionary itself says a limey is a Brit, then who am I to argue with
a university in England?: http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/Limey?q=limey

Teeheehee. But hey, if it is derogatory, then what's the proper inoffensive slang term we should be using?

Edit: not trying to be a smartypants. I searched 'what is a limey' and was led to the Oxford Dictionary definition.
Post edited January 29, 2014 by HereForTheBeer
HereForTheBeer:
Brit.
sorry about that everyone.

In spite of all the joking I do I seriously need to lighten up. :D
HereForTheBeer:
Sachys: Brit.
LOL. Dur, don't know how I forgot the most obvious.
I'm of Scottish-German ancestry. Funny both are known for their drinking and fighting, yet I do neither.
1322: I have a good one today. Fucking snowstorm. I live in the Atlanta area and I just got back home a couple hours ago after sitting in traffic on an interstate highway turned parking lot/ice skating rink with nowhere to go for 18 + hours. There is a lot of finger pointing going around on how this got so fucked up, especially after the ice storm we had during 2011. Like no one learned a thing from that fiasco.
I heard that Atlanta basically shut down due to some snow and cold weather. What the hell would you guys do farther up north? :) Heard that people were abandoning their cars on the highway this morning due to a measly 2" of snow. I laughed my ass off considering we have been getting significant snow almost every week and almost every day is below freezing.
1322: I have a good one today. Fucking snowstorm. I live in the Atlanta area and I just got back home a couple hours ago after sitting in traffic on an interstate highway turned parking lot/ice skating rink with nowhere to go for 18 + hours. There is a lot of finger pointing going around on how this got so fucked up, especially after the ice storm we had during 2011. Like no one learned a thing from that fiasco.
CrowTRobo: I heard that Atlanta basically shut down due to some snow and cold weather. What the hell would you guys do farther up north? :) Heard that people were abandoning their cars on the highway this morning due to a measly 2" of snow. I laughed my ass off considering we have been getting significant snow almost every week and almost every day is below freezing.
How much snow have you gotten? :P
tinyE: How much snow have you gotten? :P
Heh, I'm sure it doesn't even come close to what you have received. :)

I tried to google it but can only find totals for specific days instead of cumulative. In the last week: last Tuesday we got 12", then Saturday we received maybe 3", then last night another 2". The frequency of the snow this winter is very abnormal for the greater Philadelphia area.
tinyE: How much snow have you gotten? :P
CrowTRobo: Heh, I'm sure it doesn't even come close to what you have received. :)

I tried to google it but can only find totals for specific days instead of cumulative. In the last week: last Tuesday we got 12", then Saturday we received maybe 3", then last night another 2". The frequency of the snow this winter is very abnormal for the greater Philadelphia area.
XD Thanks for laughing. You knew damn well I was just setting you up and yet you maintained a sense of humor about it, well done. :D
F4LL0UT: Many people talking about the cold weather here. Global warming my ass. :D

I'm also freezing my ass of lately. It's odd, the last years it would always suffice to heat up the flat once and it would be warm for hours. Now as soon as I turn off the heater I start freezing, my girlfriend and I are even freezing our asses off in bed - that's a new one. Also I noticed a weird air draft lately, when I open a window I can actually hear a howling in several places in our flat. I'm starting to think that either the fire in the building a few months ago or all the renovations going on here may have screwed things up.
Maybe we are approaching another Ice Age? Hopefully there will be an ice bridge to Europe. I want to ride a motorcycle across the ocean. :)
Post edited January 29, 2014 by monkeydelarge
monkeydelarge: Maybe we are approaching another Ice Age? Hopefully there will be an ice bridge to Europe. I want to ride a motorcycle across the ocean. :)
Okay, that would be seriously badass.

Wish I'd gotten into riding so much earlier so I could put a motocross bike on the local frozen lake (among other things). At this age and skill level, that type of riding is beyond me.
monkeydelarge: Maybe we are approaching another Ice Age? Hopefully there will be an ice bridge to Europe. I want to ride a motorcycle across the ocean. :)
HereForTheBeer: Okay, that would be seriously badass.

Wish I'd gotten into riding so much earlier so I could put a motocross bike on the local frozen lake (among other things). At this age and skill level, that type of riding is beyond me.
Yeah and what if someone breaks the ice. The whole ice bridge will start to fall apart and you will have to race against that like in a video game. :)
Superior might freeze over this year but I wouldn't try riding over it.
I'm wondering in which direction most people would be going. Would it be Mexicans overrunning Europe or people from Eastern Europe storming towards the US? I bet the masses would collide in the center, somewhere in the middle of the ocean, and make the ice bridge collapse.
CrowTRobo: I heard that Atlanta basically shut down due to some snow and cold weather. What the hell would you guys do farther up north? :) Heard that people were abandoning their cars on the highway this morning due to a measly 2" of snow. I laughed my ass off considering we have been getting significant snow almost every week and almost every day is below freezing.
We don't get hit like the northern regions so we are not equipped to handle the road conditions as effectively. Some winters we don't get shit, and the temperature is often mild. This year so far has been unusually cold. I work out doors much of the time and I've had to break out the winter gear a lot whereas normally I would only do so maybe two times a year. When the snow came, the temperature was still above freezing. It melted, the temp dropped and iced up the roads. There are plenty of northerners down here (including me) and we all got caught up in this shit.

I think many of us are still trying to figure this one out. So far from what is gathered the problem seems to be local and state government's piss poor (or total lack of) planning. The weather predictions were all over the map. The state was expecting middle Georgia to be hit first (Macon, which is 100 Miles south of Atlanta), and then Atlanta later that day around 2:00. So, they diverted most of the resources there despite meteorologists warning that it could (and did) change. There were people driving like idiots (which is par for the course), and 18 wheelers (which caused much of the problems) jack-knifing all over the place. No one, including me, was expecting the roads to be as jammed packed as if it were the apocalypse as a result of everybody (schools, government people, businesses) closing shop all at the same time. Hell, traffic sucks enough on a normal day when release times are staggered. Makes me wonder what would happen if the city really needed to be evacuated.