It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

tinyE: I have TOTALLY misunderstood you. Let's start from the beginning. Did you not get the joke, or did you get it and find it offensive, or are you surprised that I got it, or are you surprised I didn't find it offensive?
I got the joke, I was just surprised that that kind of joke about European nationalities is comprehensible enough to Americans that it makes sense using it in a TV ad. And no, it's not an "oh, Americans are stupid and suck at geography" thing.
Potzato: My reply seem very late now.
So does your... uhm, I really don't know where I was going with this.
Post edited January 29, 2014 by F4LL0UT
tinyE: I have TOTALLY misunderstood you. Let's start from the beginning. Did you not get the joke, or did you get it and find it offensive, or are you surprised that I got it, or are you surprised I didn't find it offensive?
F4LL0UT: I got the joke, I was just surprised that that kind of joke about European nationalities is comprehensible enough to Americans that it makes sense using it in a TV ad. And no, it's not an "oh, Americans are stupid and suck at geography" thing.
Potzato: My reply seem very late now.
F4LL0UT: So does your... uhm, I really don't know where I was going with this.
Well we are a melting pot. Everyone in this country is from somewhere else; well not the Native Americans obviously.
Heh - between Milwaukee and the Twin Cities, we have Czechs and Swedes out the wazoo. And Poles, and Krauts, and Nords. I'm the oddball Limey-Frog-Kraut mix, but still manage to fit in around here with a Polish last name.
tinyE: Well we are a melting pot. Everyone in this country is from somewhere else; well not the Native Americans obviously.
Well yeah, you take them, you melt them, stir a little and BAM, REAL AMERICAN.
HereForTheBeer: Heh - between Milwaukee and the Twin Cities, we have Czechs and Swedes out the wazoo. And Poles, and Krauts, and Nords. I'm the oddball Limey-Frog-Kraut mix, but still manage to fit in around here with a Polish last name.
I'm a Dutch-Kraut-Limey mix myself though 99% of the Keweenaw are Finns.
F4LL0UT: Many people talking about the cold weather here. Global warming my ass. :D

I'm also freezing my ass of lately. It's odd, the last years it would always suffice to heat up the flat once and it would be warm for hours. Now as soon as I turn off the heater I start freezing, my girlfriend and I are even freezing our asses off in bed - that's a new one. Also I noticed a weird air draft lately, when I open a window I can actually hear a howling in several places in our flat. I'm starting to think that either the fire in the building a few months ago or all the renovations going on here may have screwed things up.
tinyE: That is Global Warming. The temp goes up causing the ice caps to melt and thus turning everything below and above them into Hoth. Every day the Poles get a little warmer causing the rest of use to get a little colder.
Poles are to blame? Hmm... All this time I was blaming Canada :D
tinyE: That is Global Warming. The temp goes up causing the ice caps to melt and thus turning everything below and above them into Hoth. Every day the Poles get a little warmer causing the rest of use to get a little colder.
1322: Poles are to blame? Hmm... All this time I was blaming Canada :D
Just because the Poles are at fault doesn't mean we can't continue to blame Canada anyway.

/USA gives noogie to its northern neighbor
1322: Poles are to blame? Hmm... All this time I was blaming Canada :D
HereForTheBeer: Just because the Poles are at fault doesn't mean we can't continue to blame Canada anyway.

/USA gives noogie to its northern neighbor
Yea... Didn't think about that! Poles steal the heat, then command Canada to send us the cold! Poland is on its way towards world domination, Pinky and The Brain style :o

/USA gives noogie to its northern neighbor and Poland

:D
tinyE: I'm a Dutch-Kraut-Limey mix myself though 99% of the Keweenaw are Finns.
Out of interest, do you actually know what a "Limey" is?
Sachys: Out of interest, do you actually know what a "Limey" is?
Over here it's a slang term for a Brit. God knows what it means elsewhere ie: rubber, faggot, lift, flat, jello, etc etc etc.
Sachys: Out of interest, do you actually know what a "Limey" is?
Wasn't it coined from Brit sailors who would suck limes (and other citrus) to prevent scurvy?

Now THAT would be something to bitch about. Not sucking limes to prevent scurvy, but having limes without tequila and triple sec.
HereForTheBeer:
tinyE:
Misconception (my dad would have your teeth for that as a former Merchant Navyman - even in his current frail state). Heheh.
It doesn't actually refer to the British and is quite offensive to many (particularly non-English Brits of course in regards to the general American use of it; "A Limey accent" for instance).
Post edited January 29, 2014 by Sachys
So, where did the term come from, then?
let's pretend I never posted this. :D
Post edited January 29, 2014 by tinyE
HereForTheBeer: So, where did the term come from, then?
I thought about telling you, but then it gave me an idea for a giveaway I might put up in a couple of days. So for now you might just have to google down the best answers you can, or facebash the screen until I reveal. Or forget it and just remember to not use the term!
tinyE:
And online!
Post edited January 29, 2014 by Sachys