It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Bring the censorship of the Big Fish Games forum to GOG !! *sarcasm *
AlKim: My bicycle was stolen. Hope the insurance company pays quickly, since I can't really go anywhere now.
SimonG: Don't you ride snowbears in Finland?
Nah. Snowbears, arctic hellhounds and frost dragons are adapted to winter conditions, so they're not hardcore enough, which is why I rode a bike with road tyres and derailleur gears that get clogged up with snow and ice.
The wife wants to move out of town and get a place nearby in the countryside, maybe a couple acres (4,050 m-squared is roughly an acre). I can't decide where I stand on this: I'd like the space and it would be helpful for my business stuff to have a dedicated shop on the property, but I also like our little village and this house. Not looking forward to the fix-ups necessary to help with selling the place, but we are planning on doing much of this stuff anyway in the event we decide to stay.

Just not thrilled with the idea of moving again. I had my fill of that for the first ~35 years of life (about 15 different places over that period) and was hoping this would be the last time.
Tomorrow is my birthday. I'll be 23. This may sound great but the trouble is, I have absolutely nothing to show for it. I can't get into the Army anytime soon because the economy is so bad that they raised medical waiver standards (I had gotten a corrective eye procedure the military WANTED me to get) and I'm still stuck living at home. I have a 4 year college degree in business management but I can't find anything that works with it and I do not wish to return to college.

Also, it doesn't help that I still don't have any girlfriend.
HereForTheBeer: The wife wants to move out of town and get a place nearby in the countryside, maybe a couple acres (4,050 m-squared is roughly an acre). I can't decide where I stand on this: I'd like the space and it would be helpful for my business stuff to have a dedicated shop on the property, but I also like our little village and this house. Not looking forward to the fix-ups necessary to help with selling the place, but we are planning on doing much of this stuff anyway in the event we decide to stay.

Just not thrilled with the idea of moving again. I had my fill of that for the first ~35 years of life (about 15 different places over that period) and was hoping this would be the last time.
Having grown up on places just like that you may be grossly underestimating the obscene amount of upkeep places like that need. Do you own a walk behind snowblower? A large (small farm sized) riding lawnmower? You may need to with a place like that. Will you end up with a small orchard or "garden"? Yeah, kiss a couple of weekends every year good bye working on keeping that up (though the fruit is tasty). You may also need a rifle and a barn cat (not the inside kitty-cat, the mean, outdoor kind, that will eat rats and other large pests), two things you may or may not want. Also, usually there's at least one structure in poor repair on those places (barn, house, shop, or garage) that will take you a year or two to put right, that always sucks too.

I'm with ya, moving sucks, especially if you're plenty happy where you are. I've been trying to "downsize", not upsize, myself. I don't need tons of space and I really don't need most of my "things" to be happy. The more I get rid of, the happier I am. I'm also happier walking to work, biking to the store, etc., rather than driving. I may be able to simply get rid of my car in another year or two and just rent one for an occasional trip.
AlKim: My bicycle was stolen. Hope the insurance company pays quickly, since I can't really go anywhere now.
You have an insurance on your bike?
orcishgamer: I'm with ya, moving sucks, especially if you're plenty happy where you are. I've been trying to "downsize", not upsize, myself. I don't need tons of space and I really don't need most of my "things" to be happy. The more I get rid of, the happier I am. I'm also happier walking to work, biking to the store, etc., rather than driving. I may be able to simply get rid of my car in another year or two and just rent one for an occasional trip.
My dad just can't settle in one spot, so we moved constantly as kids. That gets old fast, and it isn't any better as an adult.

Frankly, I'd be happy just to expand the detached garage, which I think we can do within the bounds of the village ordinances. But we're keeping in mind that the folks aren't getting any younger and it may turn out that we get a live-in at some point. Our current place isn't exactly conducive to that though I think we could make it work if I turn my first floor office into a bedroom (it was a bedroom at one point) and I move my office to an upstairs bedroom. I'm still going to try to talk her out of it - if we put money into this house to make it sell quickly, then why not put a bit more into to make it just the way we want it? And who says we'd like another place any better?

What can I say - I like this 90-year old place, I like the village, and I like the neighborhood. May just have to put my foot down, especially since yours truly will get stuck doing most of the work. We'll need to have a good talk about it this weekend.
orcishgamer: I'm with ya, moving sucks, especially if you're plenty happy where you are. I've been trying to "downsize", not upsize, myself. I don't need tons of space and I really don't need most of my "things" to be happy. The more I get rid of, the happier I am. I'm also happier walking to work, biking to the store, etc., rather than driving. I may be able to simply get rid of my car in another year or two and just rent one for an occasional trip.
HereForTheBeer: My dad just can't settle in one spot, so we moved constantly as kids. That gets old fast, and it isn't any better as an adult.

Frankly, I'd be happy just to expand the detached garage, which I think we can do within the bounds of the village ordinances. But we're keeping in mind that the folks aren't getting any younger and it may turn out that we get a live-in at some point. Our current place isn't exactly conducive to that though I think we could make it work if I turn my first floor office into a bedroom (it was a bedroom at one point) and I move my office to an upstairs bedroom. I'm still going to try to talk her out of it - if we put money into this house to make it sell quickly, then why not put a bit more into to make it just the way we want it? And who says we'd like another place any better?

What can I say - I like this 90-year old place, I like the village, and I like the neighborhood. May just have to put my foot down, especially since yours truly will get stuck doing most of the work. We'll need to have a good talk about it this weekend.
Good luck then, sounds like a sensible plan.
kavazovangel: You have an insurance on your bike?
Not specifically, since it cost just 650€. I'm not entirely sure what the insurance is called since my parents pay for it, but it should cover vehicles as well.
Storms overnight caused half the warehouse floor where i was imaging laptops and desktops to be flooded. Spent most of fucking morning sweeping water out. ****ing hell :/
I just realize that Facebook is becoming less and less relevant to me because 90% of the article sharing is done through apps which want me to allow them access to my profile in order to get to the actual content, a thing which will never happen.

It's not such a big deal because most of my "social link discovery" (or whatever you want to call it) was done through Twitter, but it's still annoying, and searching for the title of the article doesn't always work.
AndrewC: I just realize that Facebook is becoming less and less relevant to me because 90% of the article sharing is done through apps which want me to allow them access to my profile in order to get to the actual content, a thing which will never happen.

It's not such a big deal because most of my "social link discovery" (or whatever you want to call it) was done through Twitter, but it's still annoying, and searching for the title of the article doesn't always work.
I know how you feel, I've missed lots of articles because of that. I wish you could find the url in the facebook link, but that would obviously be in no ones interest.
Dischord: Not sure if it will help or not, but had a return of a few raccoons last night, up to their antics of pulling on stuff and running around.

They weren't afraid of me in the least, but I got to thinking about the coyote urine, had none, but pitched a 16oz bottle of ammonia up there, and they hated it.

I don't expect the effect to last long, but might be something to keep in mind. They didn't return last night, and I pitched it at about 8:30, but will see tonight in a couple of hours.

Good luck.
Yeah, I see them in passing but they've not broken back in again. Wonder what is attracting them to your roof and why they keep going up there. Good luck to you too.
Due to the fact that I am unemployed, I developed a sort of "bill collectors paranoia" and am afraid to pick up the dang phone when a number I don't know or expect calls. I just found out that someone rather important has been trying to get a hold of me via phone and now I wonder if I missed a good opportunity.
Cambrey: I laughed at your misfortune. Lure them with ground meat mixed with the hottest peppers you can find. Hide, record the scene and share with us.
Hahaha. Yeah, that might teach them a lesson.
JudasIscariot: Due to the fact that I am unemployed, I developed a sort of "bill collectors paranoia" and am afraid to pick up the dang phone when a number I don't know or expect calls. I just found out that someone rather important has been trying to get a hold of me via phone and now I wonder if I missed a good opportunity.
Call them back.
Post edited April 21, 2012 by the_bard