It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
timppu: I see one negative thing with most people having gotten their shots now: more and more people are not wearing the mask anymore.

One or two months ago I would feel weird and kept getting angry looks if I didn't have my mask on because I forgot to just put it on when entering a store or McDonalds. Nowadays I feel a bit weird wearing the mask on as most don't seem to do so anymore.
If they had proper masks it wouldn't matter what anyone else was wearing in general and the studies showed that most masks weren't that effective and might have actually harmed people.
Where are the high tech air filters for people to wear that protects them from all the germs in the air?
There's been plenty of time to make them.
dtgreene: Fact check: Compare the number of COVID-related deaths up through the end of November 2020 to the number of vaccines administered during that time. You will find that there were more COVID deaths than there were vaccinations, which is enough to contradict that that other person is saying.

(November 2020 is chosen because no COVID-19 vaccine had been approved at that point, so the number of people who got the vaccine was small (limited to those participating in trials, which in the US was tens of thousands IIRC), yet the number of COVID-19 related deaths during that time was likely much bigger.)
timppu: I see one negative thing with most people having gotten their shots now: more and more people are not wearing the mask anymore.

One or two months ago I would feel weird and kept getting angry looks if I didn't have my mask on because I forgot to just put it on when entering a store or McDonalds. Nowadays I feel a bit weird wearing the mask on as most don't seem to do so anymore. I guess they feel "I have my two shots, so why bother? No worries anymore.". And if you wear a mask, others might think you are one of those loonies who HAVEN'T taken their shots yet!

Anyway, I presume people not wearing the masks is the primary reason that Covid infections and people going to hospital for it are on a sharp rise again here. Yes most of them appear to be non-vaccinated, but IIRC one third of people needing to go to hospital have been vaccinated already.

So... it would appear to me that the vaccination gives only partial protection, and people should still keep using their masks?
Where I am, Im pretty sure most people who arnt anti-vaccine have gotten their two shots but it is still near mandatory for everyone to wear a mask. Went to a conference just two days ago and everyone was wearing masks and social distancing (one open seat among one another). Really a case of just in case to minimize the spread of COVID. I dont think you should feel bad about wearing a mask (and if someone calls you out, just say Ive got the common cold and dont want to spread it lol).

The great thing about COVID was the emergence of work from home. Honestly feels great being able to stay at home and work in casual clothes vs having to wear and suit and transit to work. Still not a fan of workout out in the gym with a mask on though.
Tokyo_Bunny_8990: Still not a fan of workout out in the gym with a mask on though.
Or playing a wind instrument with one on.

(At least we have special masks so we *can* play such instruments in public now (though they're probably less effective because of the necessary hole). Of course, it turns out that the first mask I got doesn't work so well for clarinet (I chipped a reed trying to use it), and the new mask I have, which works better for clarinet, isn't as suitable for bassoon, so I need to use the correct mask for the correct ensemble.)
Finally getting to the end of my weekend workload, and looking forward to play some Warhammer Gladius afterwards, only to hear that load shedding (rolling blackouts) will kick in again tonight >:(
An especially infuriating detail that came to light this year is that criminal elements are actively sabotaging the country's electricity network on top of what is already a strained situation, both outside the power plants and from the inside. This is understood to be, as far as I can gather, due to the clampdown on the insane levels of corruption at the electrical utility from last year. A week or two ago they actually cut through the supports of a high voltage transmission tower and the whole thing collapsed, triggering country wide load shedding.
Post edited December 04, 2021 by Matewis
Phone had a bit of a tumble, and decided to put on a light show
https://imgur.com/a/FhERKiQ
Let this be a lesson to all of you who, like me, decided to tempt fate by not buying a cover!
Matewis: Phone had a bit of a tumble, and decided to put on a light show
Let this be a lesson to all of you who, like me, decided to tempt fate by not buying a cover!
Have you tried turning it off and on again?
^^
Matewis: Phone had a bit of a tumble, and decided to put on a light show
viperfdl: Have you tried turning it off and on again?
^^
Actually I did :) No dice unsurprisingly.

I really miss those old 3310s and 3330s. The problem I think is when a phone lands on its corner, but the 33xxs had this wonderful tendency to completely come apart when this happened, detaching the cover in a seeming explosion of parts. It's almost like the easily detachable cover was designed to absorb all of the impact, and within 3 seconds of a rapid disassembly event you could have it back in place. Not like those 6110s though. Those just broke whatever they landed on.
low rated
GamezRanker: ...
Hey, what happened to your thread in the end? I see I got some replies, but I'll never know what they are. I'd ask you over PM but you appear to have blocked me. ;)

Anyway, I'm feeling pretty depressed at the covid situation here in the UK. The numbers are really high and I fear we'll be in for a post-christmas lockdown.
Post edited December 23, 2021 by ettac orrazib si eman ym
low rated
GamezRanker: ...
ettac orrazib si eman ym: Hey, what happened to your thread in the end? I see I got some replies, but I'll never know what they are. I'd ask you over PM but you appear to have blocked me. ;)

Anyway, I'm feeling pretty depressed at the covid situation here in the UK. The numbers are really high and I fear we'll be in for a post-christmas lockdown.
Suspect it might be the case in a few places -- governments seem to want people to enjoy the xmas season before giving them bad news. Might be no lockdown over here (Sydney) but masks back and distancing and qr checkins...
low rated
ettac orrazib si eman ym: Hey, what happened to your thread in the end? I see I got some replies, but I'll never know what they are. I'd ask you over PM but you appear to have blocked me. ;)
Oops, I forgot to unblock ya it seems.....*gr pushes some buttonz*.....there, PM is open once more. :)

(i'm also sending ya a PM in a bit.....so stay tuned)

=-=-=-=

Niggles: Suspect it might be the case in a few places -- governments seem to want people to enjoy the xmas season before giving them bad news.
Which, if one thinks about it, makes no sense if they really want to keep cases/spread down.

Niggles: Might be no lockdown over here (Sydney) but masks back and distancing and qr checkins...
That sucks :\
Post edited December 24, 2021 by GamezRanker
low rated
GamezRanker: Oops, I forgot to unblock ya it seems.....*gr pushes some buttonz*.....there, PM is open once more. :)

(i'm also sending ya a PM in a bit.....so stay tuned)

=-=-=-=

Niggles: Suspect it might be the case in a few places -- governments seem to want people to enjoy the xmas season before giving them bad news.
GamezRanker: Which, if one thinks about it, makes no sense if they really want to keep cases/spread down.

Niggles: Might be no lockdown over here (Sydney) but masks back and distancing and qr checkins...
GamezRanker: That sucks :\
It only makes sense when the government decides business/economics is higher priority over peoples health. Our state premier only backflipped on masks, qr check ins and density limits after a week of making original lifting of those restrictions....due to health safety worker concerns (lack of)....and he sure didnt sound happy doing the backflip....
low rated
Niggles: It only makes sense when the government decides business/economics is higher priority over peoples health.
Some people (generally speaking) not caring about others is sadly nothing new, though I wish it weren't so. That said:

Jobs/business income helps people pay their bills and eat/live......and locking people down over a handful of cases likely does more harm to the overall health(mental/physical) of everyone at this point than the actual sickness(which many are vaccinated against, and which is getting generally weaker as time goes on).

(imo) If people are still worried they should get vaccines/boosters & wear masks/wash hands, and everyone else should be able to move on with their lives.
low rated

Niggles: Suspect it might be the case in a few places -- governments seem to want people to enjoy the xmas season before giving them bad news. Might be no lockdown over here (Sydney) but masks back and distancing and qr checkins...
Last year we had a huge post-christmas spike in the UK, and that was with restrictions in place and way lower numbers in the days leading up to christmas than we currently have.

I get that they don't want to "cancel christmas" a second year running, but this is going to be a train wreck.
GamezRanker: a handful of cases
Well we've smashed our own record for daily case numbers multiple times in the last week, so I wouldn't exactly call this a handful. Even if omicron has a lower hospitalisation rate (as is speculated), the sheer out of control case numbers we have will offset that. I'm so depressed about the whole thing.
Post edited December 24, 2021 by ettac orrazib si eman ym
low rated
ettac orrazib si eman ym: I get that they don't want to "cancel christmas" a second year running, but this is going to be a train wreck.
If you mean severity of cases/people's health: Omicron is very weak(most of the 'experts'/experts are now saying such), akin to the severity of the common cold for most people......so most should be fine. That said, those in the highest risk groups should probably weak masks and wash hands and etc....just to be on the safe side.

(also a good thing to note: don't worry about case numbers so much.....hospitalization/dth counts are what matters)

ettac orrazib si eman ym: Well we've smashed our own record for daily case numbers multiple times in the last week, so I wouldn't exactly call this a handful.
I meant more so Australia/etc, where they lock down large areas over 5 or so cases.

ettac orrazib si eman ym: Even if omicron has a lower hospitalisation rate (as is speculated), the sheer out of control case numbers we have will offset that. I'm so depressed about the whole thing.
Cheer up, fren......since it's so weak, it will immunize those that do end up getting it while not making many of them too ill, and if enough get that strain then it should hopefully "push out" the other strains & bring a quicker end to all this mandate/etc stuff.
low rated
Yeah, but then when it all clears up we'll have the aliens landing. Or the second coming. Probably both.

Then the Archbishop of Canterbury, Graham Hancock and Erik von Daniken won't know wether to sit, kneel or stand.

So until *that* happens, I think we should all just stay calm & maintain some healthy perspective.