It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The first Summer Sale game giveaway is here with an action RPG Hellpoint available to claim now and keep forever.

Released less than a year ago, Hellpoint is a dark and challenging game set in a unique sci-fi universe where the line between science and occultism is blurred. Explore the ruins of Iris Novo space station, discover its gruesome secrets, encounter cruel interdimensional entities, and battle them using dozens of melee and ranged weapons.

Hellpoint giveaway runs until June 16th, 2021, at 1 PM UTC.
MasterofFiction: So obviously the "explanation" isn't at all clear or we wouldn't be having this discussion. Which is why I want a real answer as to why they recently changed their giveaways to require enabling marketing e-mails. They didn't used to, and I don't see how this change could "help grow the platform".
I had the exact same question and imo PaterAlf explained this in his post here:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/summer_sale_giveaway_hellpoint_205e6/post49

Some people simply don't care (or don't know) about the newsletter and those will subscribe which in the end might lead to the fact that those will buy more games. Of course this does not answer the question if this step is really necessary for GOG to exist and grow since they did not do it before ... but at least it explains why this could help GOG to grow.
Post edited June 16, 2021 by MarkoH01
high rated
B1tF1ghter: [large amount of text]
paladin181: All well and good, but [...]
Please don't quote posts in their entirety, particularly if they're very long and you're not actually referring to any specific points.
Post edited June 16, 2021 by skirtish
I've been having one hell of a week, and it's not even done yet. :(

I've completely missed out on the Hellpoint giveaway, does anybody have an extra code that they're willing to part with?
MadalinStroe: I've been having one hell of a week, and it's not even done yet. :(

I've completely missed out on the Hellpoint giveaway, does anybody have an extra code that they're willing to part with?
You can try your luck with community giveaway thread:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/the_community_giveaway_gog_edition_redux
you will ge granted the code if you are eligible [read the rules first] (and make it in time while there is one available).

Hope that helps ;)
MadalinStroe: I've been having one hell of a week, and it's not even done yet. :(

B1tF1ghter: You can try your luck with community giveaway thread:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/the_community_giveaway_gog_edition_redux
you will ge granted the code if you are eligible [read the rules first] (and make it in time while there is one available).

Hope that helps ;)
That's actually a great tip. Thank you!
MasterofFiction: You seem to have missed the part where I said that everyone who wants to be subscribed should already be from the moment they created an account. All they really seem to be doing is trying to get people who don't want to be subscribed to stay subscribed simply because it is less hassle than unsubscribing every time they have a giveaway. As I said, if I recall correctly marketing e-mails are set to allowed when you first create an account here, so the only people not already subscribed are those who don't want to be. If that isn't the case, then that is what they should be doing instead of trying to re-enable the subscription with every giveaway. All that serves to do is annoy those who don't want to be subscribed. I don't see how it could possibly increase their subscription numbers, since as I said everyone who wants to be subscribed already should be.

So obviously the "explanation" isn't at all clear or we wouldn't be having this discussion. Which is why I want a real answer as to why they recently changed their giveaways to require enabling marketing e-mails. They didn't used to, and I don't see how this change could "help grow the platform".
Not sure what to tell you. Everything was explained to you, and multiple times in fact by several different people. You're just rejecting those explanations because they don't suit you.

How do you know for sure marketing e-mails are turned on by default? You say multiple times that people should already be subscribed if they want to be, and even questioning folks ability to read, but then you say "if you recall correctly" or "I believe" which calls into question the statements you've made. I'd suggest not questioning peoples reading comprehension when your own posts make you look... I guess I'll be nice and say clumsy.

I personally don't ever remember turning them off, and I can say with 100% confidence that I had to enable them myself. Now it's possible I could have disabled them many years ago, and I just don't remember. Maybe someone (not you) can confirm if that's the case or not.

I'd suspect that they're not on by default, because if they were then any new account created for the free game is already gonna get them. Perhaps they have data where a large number of active accounts don't have them on, and they want to change that. Again though, that would kind of suggest them not being on by default, because most people aren't wearing tin-foil hats... You know, the type who'd be up in arms about receiving wishlist alerts and sale reminder e-mails.

Regardless, GOG thinks it's a reasonable thing to ask for receiving a "free" game, and quite frankly, so do I. If you're having a snit because of GOG doing something to help themselves grow as a platform, (which is ultimately good for everyone here when it comes to future games and larger title acquisitions) then why are you even here? We're talking about harmless marketing e-mails... Optional ones at that! No one is forcing anyone to subscribe to these. If you want the free game you can turn them on, if not, well, you've lost nothing and your "privacy" is exactly where it was.
Post edited June 16, 2021 by TomNuke
TomNuke: <snip>
Well, you are accusing me of things I never said and insinuating things I specifically indicated the opposite of so I am just not going to bother anymore.

Have a nice day.
As far as the newsletters.

I don't even click on the links. I simply copy the link address to a notepad and when I later login to GOG.com, then I use it.

So, I don't see what data they can collect from me other than the fact I'm a subscriber of their newsletter.

Personally, it doesn't bother me like it once might have. And I like the promos and it's done in a fairly simple manner. Plus, they removed the reCaptcha from the redeem page. Yay!
Post edited June 17, 2021 by gog2002x
gog2002x: they removed the reCaptcha from the redeem page. Yay!
When did they do that?
It was still there yesterday.
gog2002x: they removed the reCaptcha from the redeem page. Yay!
B1tF1ghter: When did they do that?
I've enter a code from the newsletter yesterday and I haven't gotten a reCaptcha popup window. It went straight to the discount page.
EDIT: I just tried it now and no reCaptcha window.

The page does say "This app feature is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of service apply" but no such window pops up. I would say that indicates that it's disabled.

Unless it's a bug on my end and I'm ok with that bug if so lol.
Post edited June 17, 2021 by gog2002x
B1tF1ghter: When did they do that?
gog2002x: I've enter a code from the newsletter yesterday and I haven't gotten a reCaptcha popup window. It went straight to the discount page.
EDIT: I just tried it now and no reCaptcha window.

The page does say "This app feature is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of service apply" but no such window pops up. I would say that indicates that it's disabled.

Unless it's a bug on my end and I'm ok with that bug if so lol.
Actually it can very well indicate that you just got lucky.
"Protected with reCAPTCHA" does NOT automatically mean "every time".
Just as "GOG 2FA" does not mandate it "on every login".
Check if the page loads the scripts for recaptcha.
If it does then it is not disabled.
If it does not then I don't really know what, it was there for me (for code redemption at least, not sure about discounts) yesterday.
Can anyone tell me how to do the opposite of wishlist? I want to block a game from my view.
Sarang: Can anyone tell me how to do the opposite of wishlist? I want to block a game from my view.
I don't think there's a way currently.
Steam has the "ignore" list.
GOG does not sadly :/ (at least as far as I know)
Sarang: Can anyone tell me how to do the opposite of wishlist? I want to block a game from my view.
B1tF1ghter: I don't think there's a way currently.
Steam has the "ignore" list.
GOG does not sadly :/ (at least as far as I know)
Ok then I have a "Do Not Buy" list for this so far. Unless GOG has a sale on it for like $5 or less.
B1tF1ghter: Actually it can very well indicate that you just got lucky.
"Protected with reCAPTCHA" does NOT automatically mean "every time".
Just as "GOG 2FA" does not mandate it "on every login".
Check if the page loads the scripts for recaptcha.
If it does then it is not disabled.
If it does not then I don't really know what, it was there for me (for code redemption at least, not sure about discounts) yesterday.
Actually, it's been this way for several weeks now, and I commented on it back then too.

I recall a few weeks past the reCaptcha was not registering any of my checked boxes properly for a few days and then one day the window just stopped appearing.

I thought at the time that GOG disabled it because maybe a lot of people were reporting the problem.

Plus, I recall people were making suggestions that if they were already logged into a GOG account, why would they need reCaptcha anyway. So, I was thinking maybe GOG took the suggestions seriously. :)

Curious, was it a GOG newsletter code or some 3rd party / developer discount code that you tried to redeem?