It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

As we promised, we keep improving ways to browse our game catalog, so that it can provide a smooth, and comfortable experience for exploration and finding new great games for you.

This time, we introduce 170 tags to help with more accurate browsing and filtering. You’re a fan of dungeon-crawlers? Maybe you’re looking for something family friendly? Or you’re in love with the pixel graphics, and you’d like to see something that boasts it?
All that and more, you can now browse after one click in the filter options in the catalog menu, or by clicking on the tag on the product page of a game.

Together with the ability to filter tags you’re interested in, we’re also introducing an option to exclude the tags you’d like to avoid seeing. You can do that, by clicking on the eye icon that appears when you hover over the specific tag in the filter menu.

We hope that this functionality will further improve the discoverability of the games, and help you find exactly what you want, in the shortest time possible.
Let us know how you like the new tag system in the comments, and send our way ideas for what new ones we could introduce in the future.
We’re always on the lookout for great ideas that can make your experience with GOG more enjoyable, and we’ll keep tinkering and working towards that goal, so stay tuned!
high rated
Gave it few minutes, few things stand out:

- why is the search box cleared after selecting a tag? It's very distracting, I might want to select more than one of the found tags (maybe related to the second point)

- missing way to do "AND" filter. Lust from beyond M edition is tagged "dark" and "survival". If I want similar games, I will want both "dark"+"survival" tags present. Right now "Dark" = 390 games, "Survival" = 274 games, both = 603 games (with for example No Man's Sky included).

I'd argue that AND behaviour by default makes much more sense than OR (or could probably be completely ignored). Purpose of the tags is to restrict the whole GOG library to some part I'm interested in. More tags = more specific restriction. Search engines behave that way. Online shops do that too: if I'm shopping for headphones, and select for example "bluetooth" tag and "pink" tag, I'd be very surprised to see pink-but-wired options (yes, advanced shops may offer "connection" category with wired/rf/bt options which are ORed within the category, and another category for color. Still - more important first level works on AND logic).

And just a sidenote: full (unreleased so far) version of Lust from beyond only has action/adventure/puzzle right now, I wouldn't find it by any relevant tags. This might get fixed on release. But I get a feeling that such inconsistencies will only get worse with time.
SmollestLight: We will take a look at those that are tagged with something that clearly doesn't fit the game! :')
Obviously Family Friend AND Hentai don't go together well.
For local multiplayer/coop, I think you are missing some games (ex: Factorio, Terraria, Stardew Valley and others).

At first, it made me unsure what the category meant, but I think it is just missing some titles. I think this thread might have a lot of leads there: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/drmfree_multiplayer_list_of_games_that_actually_are_100_drmfree

Also, is there a way to make an union rather than an intersection (to games that are either in local multiplayer or local coop)?
Post edited April 19, 2022 by Magnitus
Oooh! Only took like 5 years to fix the shoot-em-up tag!
Yeeeeay.
high rated
Can you add a tag for games that have been updated by GOG? That have had work done on them to run better on modern PC's I mean.
Cool new Feature/Update! Keep them coming
GOG.com: ...
Nice work! I agree we should be able to view all available tags somehow.

And we should have the option to hide games, perhaps they go onto a "reverse wishlist" (a list we can access where we can see all the games we chose to hide, in case we made an accident) - or just let us somehow mark as a game as "Not Interested" and it would appear on the game thumbnail.
Killer is Dead has the "Science" tag, I never played this game but that seems odd. :)
This is actually awesome!! Thanks a lot, GOG!! It's the best improvement on the store for many years :)

I've been wishlisting nearly everything that could be fun just because browsing the catalog or the deals was awful, so I just kept adding games to the wishlist and then filtering it. Now I can actually search for what I actually want. There are many times there's an awesome game that may not look that great, so it didn't end on the wishlist- But now I can properly search what I want.

Like many has said, yeah, there will be missing tags, games with the wrong tags, etc... But THIS is the proper way of managing the store. If you let us to browse our games with those tags and implement a way to filter for many tags at the same time, you will have the best tag system for sure.

Thanks again!!!
high rated
GOG.com: We’re always on the lookout for great ideas that can make your experience with GOG more enjoyable, and we’ll keep tinkering and working towards that goal, so stay tuned!
Sort by Date Added to Catalog so we can see all new releases in order of being added to GOG please
GOG.com: We’re always on the lookout for great ideas that can make your experience with GOG more enjoyable, and we’ll keep tinkering and working towards that goal, so stay tuned!
Starkrun: Sort by Date Added to Catalog so we can see all new releases in order of being added to GOG please
Agreed!
Starkrun: Sort by Date Added to Catalog so we can see all new releases in order of being added to GOG please
tfishell: Agreed!
Yeah, this is a basic search function, I have no idea why they removed it.
Nice update, thanks :).

The exclusion is quite hard to notice if you don't know it is there. I actually forgot about it at first and thought at first it was just to pin tags (it does explain at the top of the list when selected and explains on hover). It would be great to have a pin method to at least show certain tags on the search page by default, and to exclude some by default (e.g. I'd rather not ever see horror games when searching). This might best be a settings page thing (maybe another section on the existing 'tags' page). This would make it easier to look for stuff I am most interestested in rather than needing to search for the tags I might want to use each time.

For exclusion, showing the eyes all the time would make them easier to notice. Although I'm guessing you tried that and thought it was too cluttered. Oops, I had another suggestion with three icons before the tags (one for required, one for any checked tag, and one for excluded) but amusingly the 'prohibited' emoji caused the forum to remove the rest of the post :/. Maybe a better suggestion is the one I mentioned after that to have three sections of tags all with the same tags, 'required tags', 'included tags', and 'excluded tags'. Then each is just a checkbox for the section.

I noticed 8doors is tagged 'story rich', which is not what I would consider story rich since there is very little story, although the setting is very important for the game. I'd suggest a pair of tags, one for distinctive setting and one for extensive story.

It would be great if excluding 'horror' excluded everything tagged 'psychological horror' and 'survival horror'.

I suggest an 'otome' tag, maybe 'yuri' and 'yaoi'. And 'lolicon' to be able to exclude it.

I agree with combining generas with tags or if not add a search box to generas to allow access to the other generas. I'd say combine on the game page as well but still emphasise the top three tags and possibly restrict what tags can be selected for those top three tags.

Edit to add: Another option for personalization might be to allow named custom searches to be defined in settings (only per account) and if you have defined such searches they appear at the top of the left side of the catalog page and selecting them will prefill that search info (what tags to select and exclude). Maybe they could allow more complex searches as well such as (A and B) or (C and D) that would be hard to indicate in a sidebar.

Another thought is to allow creation of arbitrary lists and then allow them to be included or excluded from searches, to allow using the catalog to look up wishlisted games (and split the wishlist into multiple lists for those of us with longer wishlists) or create a "not interested" list or make our own adjustments (i.e. I could make a "not really a platformer" list and exclude that when looking for platformers).
Post edited April 20, 2022 by joveian
Indeed, +1 to that.
I still miss an On/Off check box for Demos and Soundtracks for an unbloated search just for games
AND
another one for "Show only" if one wants to look particular for Demos/Soundtracks.

Oh, and another thing would be nice and very informative to put in the game cards aka store pages, especially concerning the older games: the original first (non-GOG) release date. I often wondered when this and that game came out originally.
Post edited April 20, 2022 by gamefood
high rated
This is great and all, but I hope a "Not interested"-like feature is planned. For example, the "Games for you" on the main page currently shows 6/10 games I have no interest in buying ever.