It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

pimpmonkey2382.313: Can't believe all the douche nozzles that came out of the wood work for this.
Yeah can you believe the hysterical nonsense people propagate without reason or evidence.
Attachments:
Post edited June 09, 2015 by xSinghx
jefequeso: Neither can I. GOG used to be such a nice place, too...

I swear, someone must have linked this thread on Reddit or something. Possibly r/Atheism judging from the types of people that have shown up :P
pimpmonkey2382.313: Ever thought about making some sort of either 3rd person or point and click horror games?
I have, a little bit. 3rd person especially, since I love the old Resident Evil fixed camera style, and certain lighting tricks work better in third person than in first person. Silent Hill 2 for instance has several areas that are completely pitch black save for your flashlight beam (which has a very limited range). And rather than just coming across as "I can't see anything" as it does when you try that sort of thing in first person, it gives this impression that your character's suspended in an ocean of inky black. Far more interesting IMO.

The problem is that third person requires a very convincing character model (since you'll be staring at it the entire game), and a lot more animation work. I'm not confident in my modeling or animating abilities enough yet. So Either I hire a modeler, or I stick with First Person. And since I almost always prefer First Person in games anyway, that's what I've done so far.

I might try something like that in the future though. Again, I'm a huge fan of the oldschool survival horror fixed camera.
pimpmonkey2382.313: Ever thought about making some sort of either 3rd person or point and click horror games?
jefequeso: I have, a little bit. 3rd person especially, since I love the old Resident Evil fixed camera style, and certain lighting tricks work better in third person than in first person. Silent Hill 2 for instance has several areas that are completely pitch black save for your flashlight beam (which has a very limited range). And rather than just coming across as "I can't see anything" as it does when you try that sort of thing in first person, it gives this impression that your character's suspended in an ocean of inky black. Far more interesting IMO.

The problem is that third person requires a very convincing character model (since you'll be staring at it the entire game), and a lot more animation work. I'm not confident in my modeling or animating abilities enough yet. So Either I hire a modeler, or I stick with First Person. And since I almost always prefer First Person in games anyway, that's what I've done so far.

I might try something like that in the future though. Again, I'm a huge fan of the oldschool survival horror fixed camera.
Yeah, something like resident evil or even alone in the dark is exactly what I had in mind. I definitely would buy something like that. I love those styles of games
jefequeso: I have, a little bit. 3rd person especially, since I love the old Resident Evil fixed camera style, and certain lighting tricks work better in third person than in first person. Silent Hill 2 for instance has several areas that are completely pitch black save for your flashlight beam (which has a very limited range). And rather than just coming across as "I can't see anything" as it does when you try that sort of thing in first person, it gives this impression that your character's suspended in an ocean of inky black. Far more interesting IMO.

pimpmonkey2382.313: Yeah, something like resident evil or even alone in the dark is exactly what I had in mind. I definitely would buy something like that. I love those styles of games
Me too. The Resident Evil Remake is one of my favorite games of all time.

A fixed camera "walking simulator" horror game would be really interesting, now that I think about it.
pimpmonkey2382.313: Yeah, something like resident evil or even alone in the dark is exactly what I had in mind. I definitely would buy something like that. I love those styles of games
jefequeso: Me too. The Resident Evil Remake is one of my favorite games of all time.

A fixed camera "walking simulator" horror game would be really interesting, now that I think about it.
The first resident evil and the first alone in the dark are two of my favorite horror games ever. Along with the point and click clock tower games.
jefequeso: Me too. The Resident Evil Remake is one of my favorite games of all time.

pimpmonkey2382.313: The first resident evil and the first alone in the dark are two of my favorite horror games ever. Along with the point and click clock tower games.
I saw a bit of the clocktower game for the... umm, NES? SNES? One of those. It was amazingly atmospheric and grim for such an old, kid-centric console.
pimpmonkey2382.313: The first resident evil and the first alone in the dark are two of my favorite horror games ever. Along with the point and click clock tower games.
jefequeso: I saw a bit of the clocktower game for the... umm, NES? SNES? One of those. It was amazingly atmospheric and grim for such an old, kid-centric console.
SNES I owned a cart of that game at one time. And the sequal on PS1 (Just called clock tower here), was even better in it's atmosphere.
skubberson: Steam isn't the only option.
jefequeso: Well, the sad reality of the industry is that it's the only option if you don't have millions to spend on marketing and want to make money. It's not even a contest, really.
Well, that's not the reality. If you reviewed the information I linked, you'd see he didn't spend a lot of money on marketing. In fact, that's the whole point of my post.

There are many examples of people making their own way in this world and having great success. You don't have to be one of those people; it was just a suggestion.
kalirion: @puppygames just tweeted a series of tweets re:refunds, and how Valve is not allowing them to raise their prices (which really is BS on Valve's side - devs should be able to price their games however-the-fuck they want.)

Anyway, I replied to the price tweet pointing out that even if Puppy Games raises their own prices, their competition would remain dirt cheap. Puppy Games replied by blocking me :/
Puppygame's guy is a total dickhead. Not really surprising.

--------------------------------
@Jefe
What did you increase the drop rate to? If it is too excessive like some games that will just make people annoyed they have to idle in a short game for hours.
jefequeso: Well, the sad reality of the industry is that it's the only option if you don't have millions to spend on marketing and want to make money. It's not even a contest, really.
skubberson: Well, that's not the reality. If you reviewed the information I linked, you'd see he didn't spend a lot of money on marketing. In fact, that's the whole point of my post.

There are many examples of people making their own way in this world and having great success. You don't have to be one of those people; it was just a suggestion.
The videogame industry is a different beast, though. There are many MANY gamers who refuse to even give a game the time of day unless it's on Steam. The same goes for bundles. And the exposure Steam gives is many times the exposure you get on other distributers, to say nothing of trying to distribute the game yourself (which is what I tried to do for several years). I'm not saying it's impossible to succeed without Steam, I'm just saying that it's a lot more difficult. And being an indie dev is already extremely difficult, period.

If you're not on Steam, you're probably not going to make much progress. And any progress you do make would have just been that much more successful if you WERE on Steam.
tammerwhisk: @Jefe
What did you increase the drop rate to? If it is too excessive like some games that will just make people annoyed they have to idle in a short game for hours.
15 minutes. And there are 5 cards in the game = 1 hr 15 minutes. I don't think that's too excessive since the player will more than likely get a lot more out of the story on a second playthrough.
Post edited June 09, 2015 by jefequeso
jefequeso: 15 minutes. And there are 5 cards in the game = 1 hr 15 minutes. I don't think that's too excessive since the player will more than likely get a lot more out of the story on a second playthrough.
Ah, that's pretty reasonable. There are some games that it takes like 8-10 hours to get all the drops, which is just an incredible waste of time if you are never going to play the game quite that much.
jefequeso: Wow... I don't think I've ever been hated so much for so little :D
Welcome to GOG general discussion. I've been attacked for less.
Finally received my refund. Given the weekend, two business days isn't a horrible wait time, but it's a fail if you pick up something before a sale, want to get your money back and repurchase at a cheaper price.
jefequeso: Wow... I don't think I've ever been hated so much for so little :D
It's nice to see that you're keeping your sense of humour about this. Makes me think you'll have a long career in game creation.

Trilarion: A manually selectable trial period (by the publisher) implemented by Steam would actually be a good example of what DRM could do for the customer. Unfortunately Steam decided to go the dumb way and force it on all their publishers. As usual.
These examples of counter-logic always baffle me. A period that's outside publisher control is naturally the most consumer friendly practice. A publisher selectable period is of course more publisher friendly.
Trilarion: A manually selectable trial period (by the publisher) implemented by Steam would actually be a good example of what DRM could do for the customer. Unfortunately Steam decided to go the dumb way and force it on all their publishers. As usual.
ET3D: These examples of counter-logic always baffle me. A period that's outside publisher control is naturally the most consumer friendly practice. A publisher selectable period is of course more publisher friendly.
Wow, I missed that person's statement. The thing that baffles the hell out of me is how anyone can think like that without a sense of irony. For the most part it is the publishers and developers ironfisted control of the market that has been erroding consumer confidence and running things into the ground. Leaving things up to companies is how some of the most bullshit business practices have come into being.