It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Exceed20XX: I have an update for the entry on Killer Is Dead. The entry for the game specifies the following:
"Will launch Steam if found; the game launches by itself if Steam.exe is renamed, or if Steam is not installed "

I believe there's a simple solution to this given what I've seen. Locate the engine config file in the game folders. It's at KillerIsDead/KidGame/Config/KidEngine.ini

Open this file and run a search for the line "bRelaunchInSteam". Change this value from "true" to "false". Save and close the file then try booting it. It shouldn't boot Steam now from what I'm seeing. (Tested on Windows 7/10)

Meanwhile I've found that Valkyria Chronicles works DRM-free but it has the same caveat that we believe Killer is Dead originally had (launching Steam if it is present without changing the name or moving the .exe etc.) I'm wondering if there's a way around this just like KID.
MarkoH01: You might as well just delete the steam dll (I guess it was steamapi.dll or sth like that) from inside the game directory.
The following error comes up if you remove the steam_api.dll (this applies to KID too apparently):
Valkyria.exe - System Error
"The code execution cannot proceed because steam_api.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem."
Any other ideas, Marko?
MarkoH01: You might as well just delete the steam dll (I guess it was steamapi.dll or sth like that) from inside the game directory.
Exceed20XX: The following error comes up if you remove the steam_api.dll (this applies to KID too apparently):
Valkyria.exe - System Error
"The code execution cannot proceed because steam_api.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem."
Any other ideas, Marko?
Wait a moment I will test it - but I know I managed to do this.
Edit: My mistake - it was either deleting steam.exe or creating steam_appid.txt with 261110 in it and put it in the folder with the binary. (I did the latter). Sorry for the confusion.
Post edited October 05, 2017 by MarkoH01
Just got home and looked into this again, I think I've found something. Create a txt file, "steam_appid.txt". Just put the text 294860 in the file and save it. Seems to launch without triggering Steam for me now.
Hah! We both came to the same solution at the same time it looks like, good stuff! Thanks for the input also. :D
Post edited October 05, 2017 by Exceed20XX
Exceed20XX: Just got home and looked into this again, I think I've found something. Create a txt file, "steam_appid.txt". Just put the text 294860 in the file and save it. Seems to launch without triggering Steam for me now.
Yeah, this (with different numbers) is usually the first thing I am trying when I want to see if a game works without steam.
I just got the idea after remembering it being mentioned at some point previously (I think it was for Volume.) I'll need to apply this idea to more entries and see if I dig up more findings.
Exceed20XX: I just got the idea after remembering it being mentioned at some point previously (I think it was for Volume.) I'll need to apply this idea to more entries and see if I dig up more findings.
You will find several of those games as well in the list posted in the OP - but I sure you already looked it up :)
That I have. Trying this out a bit more now in hopes of finding more to report.
Shadowrun Returns and Shadowrun Dragonfall can't run without Steam on Linux.
When trying to run then, there is brief black screen and that's it. No error message.

Legend of Grimrock can't run DRM free on Linux, loudly requires Steam.

Ironically, the most free platform of them all got the most DRM :(
Exceed20XX: Meanwhile I've found that Valkyria Chronicles works DRM-free but it has the same caveat that we believe Killer is Dead originally had (launching Steam if it is present without changing the name or moving the .exe etc.) I'm wondering if there's a way around this just like KID.
Good Lord in Heaven, finding out that Valkyria Chronicles is DRM-free made my entire night.
Exceed20XX: Meanwhile I've found that Valkyria Chronicles works DRM-free but it has the same caveat that we believe Killer is Dead originally had (launching Steam if it is present without changing the name or moving the .exe etc.) I'm wondering if there's a way around this just like KID.
pedrovay2003: Good Lord in Heaven, finding out that Valkyria Chronicles is DRM-free made my entire night.
Right?! Glad to be able to report it, I really wasn't expecting it to work when I got curious to test it. (Binary Domain, another Sega title I tested just prior to VC, didn't work.) Finding out that the optional check could be excised with a couple of numbers only was a surprise too.

I ran a couple extra checks just to make sure, such as testing the save functionality to verify it's not one of those odd cases like Saints 4 or Sanctum.
Post edited October 06, 2017 by Exceed20XX
Has anyone tried A Robot Named Fight? I'm thinking it's probably not DRM free. I've tried to see if it is tonight, removed steam_api.dll, and the game launches but doesn't get anywhere past the "controller recommended" screen for me. Wondering if anyone else has had any luck with it.
Here is another one (tested on Win7/64).

Space Pigrim Academy

Starts and saves without steam running. Unfortunately this is NOT the case with Space Pilgrim Episode 1-4 only the latest installement works.
Post edited October 31, 2017 by MarkoH01
I just looked at the list and I found something strange about the part where the "steam_appid.txt numbers" games are listed. There seem to be two games (Adventure Kid and Super Robocade) that don't belong there and they weren't even mentioned in this thread here at all. Is this a new form of spam?
pedrovay2003: Hey, everybody! This thread is meant to provide an updated link to the database of DRM-free Steam games. The old thread was getting pretty outdated, so everyone thought it would be a good idea to update it a little bit. The list of games can be found here:

http://steam.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games

WHY KEEP THIS LIST?
While it's obvious that we all love GOG's DRM-free digital distribution stance, it's also pretty clear that some developers/publishers won't ever stray away from using Steam as their sole method of digital distribution on the PC. What seems to be lesser known, however, is that these developers/publishers have the option of tying their games to the Steam client itself, and a lot of them choose to not do this. This list is a compilation of all of the known Steam games that don't actually require the client to be installed anymore after the initial download of said games. By keeping a log of the titles, players will be able to know which Steam games will NEVER be a problem to run in the future, at least not because of DRM in the games themselves. Essentially, we want to keep track of the Steam games over which the paying customer has complete, unrestricted control.

ABOUT THESE GAMES
Every game listed here can be run without the Steam client even being installed anymore after the game is downloaded. In these cases, Steam is used as the method of distribution and nothing else; the games are essentially portable programs once they're on your hard drive. These particular games have no restrictions whatsoever, and can be copied/pasted to any number of machines and external hard drives or flash drives and played without any network connections present at all. You can bring them to friends' houses, public libraries, college campuses, etc., and never worry about being online or logged into any accounts.

HOW TO TEST GAMES FOR STEAM CLIENT DRM
Checking Steam games for DRM is a simple process: Just rename your main Steam program file and try to run a game. If the game runs, then it's DRM-free, and it does not require Steam at all. If it doesn't run, then it's dependent upon Steam or some other third-party DRM. An even better way of testing would be to copy the game folder to a totally different machine, but I understand that this may be difficult for a lot of people. In my experience, renaming the main Steam program file should suffice. Keep in mind, however, that renaming the main Steam program file will ONLY work to check for Steam DRM, and third-party restrictions may be missed; moving the game to an entirely different system really is the best way to check, if possible. If you discover a DRM-free Steam game that isn't on this list, please leave a comment with the game title and the operating system on which it was tested. We'll all love you forever!

ONE FINAL NOTE
Please, PLEASE don't use this thread to discuss whether or not you like Steam, whether or not Steam is DRM, etc., as the debates/arguments have already been done to death. This list is for people who don't mind installing Steam onto their PCs, and who don't mind buying games through Valve's service. I understand that some people don't like Steam, and that's totally fine; this topic is here for the people who don't mind using it, and it's meant to be informative and helpful to GOG users and anyone else who finds this page through search engines or direct links in the future.
Mentioning this in Steam main board is what got me banned from those boards eternally
...the fact that running Skyrim with NoCD fixed some huge issues Steam gamers were having at the time with the game.
Not saying that is just but it goes to show how anal retentive Steam is especially when years later Steam support won't lift the ban slapped on me by a spoiled thirteen year old moderator.

Have had tons of interesting ideas for features that Steam could add or things they could easily fix but have to go through the hassle of logging in with my partner's account to post the ideas so just keeping notes for the next big digital provider
Post edited November 02, 2017 by carnival73
carnival73: Not saying that is just but it goes to show how anal retentive Steam is especially when years later Steam support won't lift the ban slapped on me by a spoiled thirteen year old moderator.
Could always force the issue:

http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/#11