It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Nergal01: . Admittedly, season 7 is the weakest season of DS9
What? I'm sorry... what? It's no worse than the previous two season, and waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than 1-3.
Nergal01: . Admittedly, season 7 is the weakest season of DS9
Breja: What? I'm sorry... what? It's no worse than the previous two season, and waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than 1-3.
Don't spoil anything about Deep Space 9 guys.

Also Sisko looks like my kind of Starfleet badass.
Elmofongo: The show has a story arc episode that lasted in 10 parts.
10 Part Episode!!??
That is what you call an epic.
Nergal01: Yep, the finale and the episodes leading up to it consist of almost half a season. Admittedly, season 7 is the weakest season of DS9 but the final arc was alright again. Seasons 5 and 6 are connected by another arc that lasts seven episodes.

Just to get back to what you said earlier: space politics and intrigue are a frequent element of DS9. I'm also the type of Trekkie who prefers such stories over the straight up space adventure stories. I like Trek stories where the stakes are higher than merely the survival of one starship. The great powers of the galaxy interacting with each other, empires rising and falling, big conflict. That's my kind of Trek.
OK spoil me this.

Deep Space 9 does not have any, "Whacky" episodes?

No Time Travel and No Holodeck as in excuse for people explore 20 century earth?

No Pirates, no Gangsters, no Nazis, no Native Americans, etc.?
Breja: What? I'm sorry... what? It's no worse than the previous two season, and waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than 1-3.
Hm, let me re-phrase that. Season 7 is the most schizophrenic season of them all, with really great episodes intersecting with some real stinkers. More so than any other season, including the first three.

"Take Me Out to the Holosuite", "Prodigal Daughter", "The Emperor's New Cloak" are the ones that I really, really can't stand. On the plus side there's great stuff like "The Siege of AR-588", "It's Only a Paper Moon" and "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges".

In fact, there aren't many episodes in seasons 1-3 that I think are really bad. A lot of middle-of-the-road stories but also some very good ones. In general, it's my belief that seasons 1-3 are more than a little underrated.

Elmofongo: OK spoil me this.

No Time Travel and No Holodeck as in excuse for people explore 20 century earth?

There are some whacky episodes. Some work better than others.

There are time travel and holodeck episodes, for sure, but they aren't that frequent, as I remember.
Post edited June 05, 2015 by Nergal01
Nergal01: Hm, let me re-phrase that. Season 7 is the most schizophrenic season of them all, with really great episodes intersecting with some real stinkers. More so than any other season, including the first three.

"Take Me Out to the Holosuite", "Prodigal Daughter", "The Emperor's New Cloak" are the ones that I really, really can't stand. On the plus side there's great stuff like "The Siege of AR-588", "It's Only a Paper Moon" and "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges".

In fact, there aren't many episodes in seasons 1-3 that I think are really bad. A lot of middle-of-the-road stories but also some very good ones. In general, it's my belief that seasons 1-3 are more than a little underrated.

Nergal01: There are some whacky episodes. Some work better than others.

There are time travel and holodeck episodes, for sure, but they aren't that frequent, as I remember.
Than my rating of Deep Space 9 has been downgraded from 10/10 to 9/10 :P
Nergal01: "Take Me Out to the Holosuite", "Prodigal Daughter", "The Emperor's New Cloak" are the ones that I really, really can't stand. On the plus side there's great stuff like "The Siege of AR-588", "It's Only a Paper Moon" and "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges".
I like Take Me Out..., but the other two I can't really remember, which probably means they were not very good. Or that I should re-watch the series.

Nergal01: In fact, there aren't many episodes in seasons 1-3 that I think are really bad. A lot of middle-of-the-road stories but also some very good ones. In general, it's my belief that seasons 1-3 are more than a little underrated.
Oh, I don't think the seasons 1-3 are bad, I like them, and there are many good episodes there, (including Duet, one of the best episodes of all of Trek). I just think that later seasons are much better.
Nergal01: Yep, the finale and the episodes leading up to it consist of almost half a season. Admittedly, season 7 is the weakest season of DS9 but the final arc was alright again. Seasons 5 and 6 are connected by another arc that lasts seven episodes.

Just to get back to what you said earlier: space politics and intrigue are a frequent element of DS9. I'm also the type of Trekkie who prefers such stories over the straight up space adventure stories. I like Trek stories where the stakes are higher than merely the survival of one starship. The great powers of the galaxy interacting with each other, empires rising and falling, big conflict. That's my kind of Trek.

There is a time travel episode two-parter (Past Tense I & II) but it is to our near future (2024 I believe) that was pretty good. There are some holodeck episodes, but only maybe three or four over the whole run. Yeah, there are holodeck scenes, but on the whole the holodeck is used better. Don't watch Voyager if holodeck episodes annoy you though. Talk about overused. I enjoyed the holodeck episodes on DS9, personally. There were only three episodes of DS9 that I thought were absolutely horrible..."Move Along Home", "If Wishes Were Horses" and "The Emperor's New Cloak". Beyond that there some middling ones, but those are the only three I skip when rewatching.
Breja: I like Take Me Out..., but the other two I can't really remember, which probably means they were not very good. Or that I should re-watch the series.
"Prodigal Daughter" was an Ezri episode. That episode introduces her family to give her a more complete character background. It was tedious and super-unaffecting. In general, the authors tried to squeeze as much of Ezri into that season as possible. Introducing an all-new main character in the final season is usually not a good idea. It's not Nicole deBoer's fault, she did a good job with what the writers gave her. But I do believe that Terry Farrell's leaving DS9 hurt the show a lot. I wonder to this day what season 7 would've been like without having to accomodate a new main character. >_>

"The Emperor's New Cloak" was the final mirror-universe episode. Earlier mirror-universe stories had been decidedly silly, but entertaining. This one wanted to be sooo funny and quirky, but it was just dumb. -_-
Nergal01: "Prodigal Daughter" was an Ezri episode. That episode introduces her family to give her a more complete character background. It was tedious and super-unaffecting. In general, the authors tried to squeeze as much of Ezri into that season as possible. Introducing an all-new main character in the final season is usually not a good idea. It's not Nicole deBoer's fault, she did a good job with what the writers gave her. But I do believe that Terry Farrell's leaving DS9 hurt the show a lot. I wonder to this day what season 7 would've been like without having to accomodate a new main character. >_>
I sort of agree, but I like Ezri much more than I liked Jadzia, so it never bothered me much. She was more interesting and likeable, as she was not so "perfect" as Jadzia. Also, I'll admit (I'm only human), Nicole deBoer was super hot, so I liked seeing a lot of her. But it would have been better to have her introduced at least a season earlier, for better character developement.

Nergal01: "The Emperor's New Cloak" was the final mirror-universe episode. Earlier mirror-universe stories had been decidedly silly, but entertaining. This one wanted to be sooo funny and quirky, but it was just dumb. -_-
I liked most of DS 9's mirror episodes, especially the first one, and the Ferengi episodes (Little Green Men was great) but yeah, I don't think the two mix well.
Breja: I'm not sure it's "darkest". It's pretty dark sometimes, but it's not some grusome, depressing thing (well ok, sometimes it is, but only to an extent). And I would not call it realistic, it's much more fiction than science. It's kind of like a mix of Lord of the Rings, Star Trek and Dune.

What it certainly is, is bloody brilliant.
Elmofongo: Well it certainly better live up to the hype.

Goddamn why can't the SYFY channel just broadcast these shows instead of making shit budgeted original movies.
It's really not and really doesn't. Just a mediocre show that gets super-hyped like things do! Not that you won't enjoy it and there aren't good things to it. Heck, you may love it and it may be all of that for you. But to me there are so many other better sci-fi shows out there, there was a thread about that (I think you may have started elmofrongo) some time ago. So I don't need to get all into it again! But some better shows, IMO, that you should check out are:

Farscape
Dark Angel
Total Recall 2070
Alien Nation
and DS9 of course
Well here we go what might be considered to be the best episode of TNG, The Best of Both Worlds. And a 2 parter at that. Because of this episode that all seasons began with with a part 1 season finale and the 2nd part appears in the beginning of the next season.

Season 3 has a slew of good episode:

Who Watches the Watchers
The Enemy
The Price
The Defector
The High Ground
Deja Q
Yeserday's Enterprise
Captain's Holiday
Sarek (Spock's dad is back)
RWarehall: What is realistic about it is a lot of the physics. For example, the space station rotates to create artificial gravity. A lot of the ship combat maneuvers are space accurate. Apparently there were some fans of the show at NASA who were willing to answer specific questions. Now when it comes to the abilities of some of the alien races, this may not always be true.
snowkatt: if somebody wants realism in a scifi movie i tend to point towards 2001
Post edited June 11, 2015 by Elmofongo
uhm so why were rwarehall and me quoted ?
we were talking about physics in scifi
snowkatt: uhm so why were rwarehall and me quoted ?
we were talking about physics in scifi
I was replying to you. Not the post you made about physics in Sci Fi.
Elmofongo: There are over 6 Star Trek series. I have seen enough episdoes from The Original Series and The Next Generation to know what they are. But I have not seen Deep Space Nine, Voyeger, or Enterprise so my question is what are the premise of each show that seperates from the big 2?

All I know from Deep Space Nine is that its suppose to be a more darker, adult, version of Star Trek with more Moral Ambiguity?

(Also side question am I the only one who thinks Wrath of Khan is the only good Star Trek movie? I have seen all the reviews from both Nostalgia Critic and Mr. Plinkitt and they just don't look as good compared to Wrath or even the best episodes of TOS/TNG.)
Original series and Next Gen are who they want to be. Deep Space 9 is what they are. Voyager is basically a happy version of Battlestar Gallactica with maybe some Lost in Space thrown in. Didn't watch more than a few episodes of Enterprise so don't know.

Wrath of Khan is good. I liked Undiscovered Country as well.
Post edited June 11, 2015 by lepke1979
Elmofongo: There are over 6 Star Trek series. I have seen enough episdoes from The Original Series and The Next Generation to know what they are. But I have not seen Deep Space Nine, Voyeger, or Enterprise so my question is what are the premise of each show that seperates from the big 2?

All I know from Deep Space Nine is that its suppose to be a more darker, adult, version of Star Trek with more Moral Ambiguity?

(Also side question am I the only one who thinks Wrath of Khan is the only good Star Trek movie? I have seen all the reviews from both Nostalgia Critic and Mr. Plinkitt and they just don't look as good compared to Wrath or even the best episodes of TOS/TNG.)
lepke1979: Original series and Next Gen are what they want to be. Deep Space 9 is what they are. Voyager is basically a happy version of Battlestar Gallactica with maybe some Lost in Space thrown in. Didn't watch more than a few episodes of Enterprise so don't know.

Wrath of Khan is good. I liked Undiscovered Country as well.
Old post is old.

Since then I have seen the entire Star Trek TOS Era. Series and Movies.

Here is my overall review of the TOS era:

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/star_trek_fans_explain_to_me_this_question/post241

And I am now 3 seasons into Star Trek The Next Generation watching the best of both worlds.