It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Elenarie: Well done, you've saved yourself 10 megabytes of memory.
realkman666: I guess that Windows is beyond saving, then. :/
Yep, beyond saving. 7 is the last version i'm ever using, and that's just for gaming.
Elenarie: Well done, you've saved yourself 10 megabytes of memory.
Indeed. This is the year of Linux!
rtcvb32: Days, if it makes a difference. Unfortunately i can't tweak the sources where it counts.
here, though those are not by Microsoft, even if they do use the same methods. Additionally, don't forget the usage of setupcomplete.cmd and unattend.xml files which can help further customize your Windows installation.

Don't underestimate the TechNet and MSDN libraries. They do have excellent documentation, even if you have to dig a bit to find it.
Elenarie: Indeed. This is the year of Linux!
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNN NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111111111
Elenarie: Indeed. This is the year of Linux!
realkman666: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNN NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111111111
Well last year Linux got a good year with more users migrating to it. I speak for myself, but the first time I use Linux is last year.

It takes window 10 to have a failure the magnitude of windows 8 again for Linux to have an even better year. Linux is having a big headstart with Android and they are keeping it. No matter what people say about how good is windows 8, numbers don't lie right?
Post edited January 27, 2015 by Gnostic
Maybe they do. More specifically, a lot of that data is hidden behind scripting that pings the sites for data correct? I have scripting turned off and blocked where i don't want it; Especially when it's based on ads. So all of my computers statistics are exempt from it.
realkman666: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNN NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111111111
Gnostic: Well last year Linux got a good year with more users migrating to it. I speak for myself, but the first time I use Linux is last year.

It takes window 10 to have a failure the magnitude of windows 8 again for Linux to have an even better year. Linux is having a big headstart with Android and they are keeping it. No matter what people say about how good is windows 8, numbers don't lie right?
Perhaps corporate adoption will decide the fate of Windows 10. Unfortunately, MS is being more careful with the locked environment and Windows store stuff this time, and with the lack of "journalism", I'm not even sure the NSA and backdoor dangers will get much attention. Maybe closer to the proper release?

Ubuntu 14.10 is pretty sweet, and I'm sure most people would find it easy to use, quick and sensical. I know I'm not buying more Windows games, so that's a start. I spent two years with the Win7, but now that I don't have a job, I don't have to use it. ;P
Linux is great with a few exceptions:

1: It doesn't run windows software out of the box without a grand spectacle to get it running. Per 1-1 basis. As in, you have to tailor each thing to work properly...with glitches >_>

2:For no explicable reason, no Linus distro I know of has much intuitive design. For example you ask? Try looking on a windows machine how much space you have on a hard drive. Now do that on Linux in as little as 2 clicks...you don't. That is annoying enough for me not to use Linux because nobody had the brains to have a "my computer" equivalent that I click and look at all my drives without aggrevation.

It is really just how damn inconvenient Linux is when I want to do simple tasks. You either have to program the entire thing from the ground up to each user, or just spend days making ordinary crap, just work!

This is also all assuming the friggin drivers will be there and your machine is compatible. Even machines that make such claims still do not work well with Linux distros.

Linux is the OS I really want to like so very much, but like the rabble rousing bastard child it is, it makes life very difficult for simple stuff and I just can't like it much =(
Shmacky-McNuts: Linux is great with a few exceptions:

1: It doesn't run windows software out of the box without a grand spectacle to get it running. Per 1-1 basis. As in, you have to tailor each thing to work properly...with glitches >_>
Linux is just the kernel... WINE comes pre-installed with a good number of distros, and compatibility is pretty good anymore.

Shmacky-McNuts: 2:For no explicable reason, no Linus distro I know of has much intuitive design. For example you ask? Try looking on a windows machine how much space you have on a hard drive. Now do that on Linux in as little as 2 clicks...you don't. That is annoying enough for me not to use Linux because nobody had the brains to have a "my computer" equivalent that I click and look at all my drives without aggrevation.

It is really just how damn inconvenient Linux is when I want to do simple tasks. You either have to program the entire thing from the ground up to each user, or just spend days making ordinary crap, just work!
use df (think disk free), it will list all your drives, how much they've used, reserved for root, etc.

Probably learn some basic command-line; Naming and location in the OS was defined somewhere in the 80's or earlier and has a long history. I'll list off a few.

ls = dir
cat = type
cd = cd
less = more
bash/sh = command/cmd
cp = copy
mv = move
rm = del/delete/rmdir

There's quite a few that don't have equivalents in windows, like gzip, bzip2, df, tee, ps, top, pushd, popd, sed, awk, etc.

Unix/Linux was never intended to be a GUI, in many ways it's much faster than windows. Not only do you NOT have to find the exact program in your start menu, or have huge amounts of memory reserved for graphical displaying, but you can chain commands together using a pipe quite easily and quickly in a way Windows just doesn't support (or if it does, they don't encourage it, especially not with binary data)

Shmacky-McNuts: This is also all assuming the friggin drivers will be there and your machine is compatible. Even machines that make such claims still do not work well with Linux distros.

Linux is the OS I really want to like so very much, but like the rabble rousing bastard child it is, it makes life very difficult for simple stuff and I just can't like it much =(
Newer hardware has always been difficult to keep up with, since we don't get much support or help from the manufacturers. Quite often older hardware is better because drivers are made for it already, or compatible ones are identified for use. It's only in the last couple years that Linux is actually being treated to better drivers, although if they aren't open source they usually can't be included in the kernel due to license restrictions and have to be rejected.
Shmacky-McNuts: Linux is great with a few exceptions:

rtcvb32: Linux is just the kernel... WINE comes pre-installed with a good number of distros, and compatibility is pretty good anymore.

Shmacky-McNuts: 2:For no explicable reason, no Linus distro I know of has much intuitive design. For example you ask? Try looking on a windows machine how much space you have on a hard drive. Now do that on Linux in as little as 2 clicks...you don't. That is annoying enough for me not to use Linux because nobody had the brains to have a "my computer" equivalent that I click and look at all my drives without aggrevation.

rtcvb32: use df (think disk free), it will list all your drives, how much they've used, reserved for root, etc.

Probably learn some basic command-line; Naming and location in the OS was defined somewhere in the 80's or earlier and has a long history. I'll list off a few.

ls = dir
cat = type
cd = cd
less = more
bash/sh = command/cmd
cp = copy
mv = move
rm = del/delete/rmdir

There's quite a few that don't have equivalents in windows, like gzip, bzip2, df, tee, ps, top, pushd, popd, sed, awk, etc.

Unix/Linux was never intended to be a GUI, in many ways it's much faster than windows. Not only do you NOT have to find the exact program in your start menu, or have huge amounts of memory reserved for graphical displaying, but you can chain commands together using a pipe quite easily and quickly in a way Windows just doesn't support (or if it does, they don't encourage it, especially not with binary data)

Shmacky-McNuts: This is also all assuming the friggin drivers will be there and your machine is compatible. Even machines that make such claims still do not work well with Linux distros.

rtcvb32: Newer hardware has always been difficult to keep up with, since we don't get much support or help from the manufacturers. Quite often older hardware is better because drivers are made for it already, or compatible ones are identified for use. It's only in the last couple years that Linux is actually being treated to better drivers, although if they aren't open source they usually can't be included in the kernel due to license restrictions and have to be rejected.
I like Linux. I just have my eyes glaze over when I think about having to go back to my DOS days of computing when windows just lets me click everything in 1 second to do what I need.

The worst thing about Linux users is convincing them to make windows based functions. This would put MS out of business. But for a lot of "smart" people, Linux users aren't to darn bright at making stuff intuitive. Much the same way Win8 sucks donkey bollux. Irony. MS takes a card from linux and catastrophically fails. Because Linux is not intuitive as windows is. Simple fact. You just cannot get people to learn 60+ commands that are done at the click of a button that normal people grasp.

Oh and uh, Windows sits atop an emulated DOS. So it isn't really that Linux flavors are different, it is the lack of common sense about the Linux user base to implement simple functions like windows has for years.

In other words...no simple = no money honey ! lol

EDIT-

To make my text tone a little lighter. I grew up on DOS. I even learned to make simple games years ago as well. I just do no like having to re-educate myself to do basic stuff. Having BOTH options is great. But its kinda like that game The Incredible Machine. To go through overly complicated scenarios to turn on a light. I mean, neat! Great!.....now show me the friggin light switch to do it as I walk into the room...not given a headache over remembering 60 commands lol XD
Post edited January 27, 2015 by Shmacky-McNuts
Shmacky-McNuts: The worst thing about Linux users is convincing them to make windows based functions. This would put MS out of business. But for a lot of "smart" people, Linux users aren't to darn bright at making stuff intuitive. Much the same way Win8 sucks donkey bollux. Irony. MS takes a card from linux and catastrophically fails. Because Linux is not intuitive as windows is. Simple fact. You just cannot get people to learn 60+ commands that are done at the click of a button that normal people grasp.
60 commands isn't that hard to remember. A programming language is generally more complex and has more to remember and build on than 60 simple commands.

I don't see how windows is more intuitive than a commandline prompt. in MS-DOS days, you typed in help and it would list off the most common commands and what they did letting you know what you could do. For windows, it was based on the MAC, with the wastepaper basket being where you dropped files you weren't interested in anymore as being deleted.

Unix has a help system too, except it's called man, short for manual, just type it in and the topic your interested in and related items will pop up. Not sure what you're looking for? use man -k and you'll probably find what you're looking for from anything that holds those keywords.

I'm sure i could easily list 60 things you probably do on a daily basis but don't consider them. This includes things that are simple, like walking, picking up a glass, filling the glass with water, drinking the water, putting on your shoes, tying your shoes, buttoning your shirt, putting on underwear, taking morning pills, etc. Most of those are more complex than most of the commands in Unix/Linux...

But many people (like you) won't take the 1 hour it would take to learn the basics, remember what they are or just how to find those commands, and just work with it. You've just promised to cripple yourself so you can use a mouse to navigate through menus rather than say what you want in a quick simple and concise way. I'm sure you also think remembering 6 basic knots is too much, and you only know the overhand & how to tie your shoes.
Ric1987: So what happened to Win 9 anyway?
tinyE: Hello, my question as well. Did they change the laws of arithmetic while I was away? What, does 9 come after 45 now and no one told me?
I think it is something to do with 95/98 being reffered to by many programs as 9x- which could cause problems. I read that somewhere I don't know if they are right
rtcvb32: but you can chain commands together using a pipe quite easily and quickly in a way Windows just doesn't support (or if it does, they don't encourage it, especially not with binary data)
You sure about this? Or is it another case of "I can't customize my installation"?
Basic pipes are supported from the Dos days, and pipes are still used by Windows. Take a look [url=https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa365780(v=vs.85).aspx]here[/url] for the reference, then feel free to try them out in PowerShell.
JMich: Basic pipes are supported from the Dos days, and pipes are still used by Windows.
Yes i know, and they work... at least until you hit a binary EOF character and the program says 'Oh i'm at the end of the file'... and just barfs. I'm not sure if powershell fixed that, but i learned not to trust piping with windows products.
Shmacky-McNuts: The worst thing about Linux users is convincing them to make windows based functions. This would put MS out of business. But for a lot of "smart" people, Linux users aren't to darn bright at making stuff intuitive. Much the same way Win8 sucks donkey bollux. Irony. MS takes a card from linux and catastrophically fails. Because Linux is not intuitive as windows is. Simple fact. You just cannot get people to learn 60+ commands that are done at the click of a button that normal people grasp.
rtcvb32: 60 commands isn't that hard to remember. A programming language is generally more complex and has more to remember and build on than 60 simple commands.

I don't see how windows is more intuitive than a commandline prompt. in MS-DOS days, you typed in help and it would list off the most common commands and what they did letting you know what you could do. For windows, it was based on the MAC, with the wastepaper basket being where you dropped files you weren't interested in anymore as being deleted.

Unix has a help system too, except it's called man, short for manual, just type it in and the topic your interested in and related items will pop up. Not sure what you're looking for? use man -k and you'll probably find what you're looking for from anything that holds those keywords.

I'm sure i could easily list 60 things you probably do on a daily basis but don't consider them. This includes things that are simple, like walking, picking up a glass, filling the glass with water, drinking the water, putting on your shoes, tying your shoes, buttoning your shirt, putting on underwear, taking morning pills, etc. Most of those are more complex than most of the commands in Unix/Linux...

But many people (like you) won't take the 1 hour it would take to learn the basics, remember what they are or just how to find those commands, and just work with it. You've just promised to cripple yourself so you can use a mouse to navigate through menus rather than say what you want in a quick simple and concise way. I'm sure you also think remembering 6 basic knots is too much, and you only know the overhand & how to tie your shoes.
Please go look up the definition of Intuitive. You may be offended by this, but go do so.

I'm no fan of anything. I use the path of least resistance. If you ever used WinXP or 7, you cannot possibly tell me that everything at the click of a button isn't easier than typing tons of commands. 2 click on any windows "my computer" gives you all your drive info in an easy to see form plus text. Need more info? Right click for a context menu.

Seriously. Intuitive is ease of use in the most simple format possible. WinXP did a great job at being intuitive to the average user. Learning wasn't complex as remembering commands. This confuses many linux users to no end I gather from many users I've talked with. But try to think for a moment not of selfish ways. If you have NO knowledge of computers what so ever. Which is easier to learn. Click one button that looks like it does what the icon displays...or learn a bunch of text to do stuff you do not know what is going on?

This is why MS gets money and linux doesn't. I don't design people this way, most just are.

The point is, people like every other creature doesn't give a rats behind about the 50 things you can do in 1 day. It is how easy you can do those 50 things that matters. Linux = learning stuff. Windows = learn a few things but build on what you learned and do more.

I like Linux distros. The problem is not understanding the average human behaviors. Anyone with any sense can see Windows gets more attention AND cash because they just ripped off everything that made computing easier to deal with.
Post edited January 27, 2015 by Shmacky-McNuts