It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Going viral.

<span class="bold">Zombasite</span>, a fast-paced action/RPG set in a post-apocalyptic fantasy world overrun by magically infused zombies, is available now for Windows, Mac, and Linux, DRM-free on GOG.com with a 25% launch discount.

Toying with the undead is never a good idea. The dark elves thought they had the process figured out but as they were experimenting with their pet zombie army, the magic hidden inside the creatures backfired. Now a terrible blight is overtaking the world and your clan is counting on you to stem this tide of Zombasite-infected monsters. Despite your impressive fighting skills, however, you'll need to remain vigilant in order to survive. Supplies are scarce, rival clans will not hesitate to attack you if you're not in good terms with them, and the local wildlife has just gone haywire. At least you can rely on your skilled followers (controlled either by the A.I. or your friends), to explore this dynamic world together, looking for epic items and world-changing quests that might just help cancel the apocalypse.

Hack and slash your way through a dark fantasy world broken by the <span class="bold">Zombasite</span> infestation, DRM-free on GOG.com.
The 25% discount will last until November 4.
What happens if I go for the demo? Will I be left with an entry for it in my library forever after? Will it go away if I buy the main game?
ReynardFox: What happens if I go for the demo? Will I be left with an entry for it in my library forever after? Will it go away if I buy the main game?
It will stay in your library. I tend to hide the demos once I've tried them.
Amusingly, you have the option of completely turning off zombies in the game.

In that case it pretty much turns into a bigger and better Depths of Peril, which is cool because Depths of Peril was awesome.

CharlesGrey: So, hypothetically, if one already owns Grim Dawn, Victor Vran and various other Action-RPGs, would this one still be worth buying? Anything truly unique about it? ( And no, zombies don't count. )

I don't know, it could be decent fun, but looks kinda generic at a glance.
It's a Soldak game, and I guess the biggest difference between Soldak ARPGs and "conventional" ARPGs is the "urgency" and that they do have a "lose condition".

Basically the world does NOT conveniently wait for you to act, and you pretty much have to push towards your win condition faster than the game is pushing you back.
If you don't deal with the bosses in time they start building armies which will eventually overrun you.
If you don't rescue someone in time they will just die before you reach them.
If your clan has some kind of disease, then it will continue to get worse and inflict penalties until you gather materials for a cure.
If you get a quest to stop an uprising of monsters, then you can be fairly sure those monsters are going to do some bad things if you just leave them alone to gather and get stronger.
Those are just a few examples, but you get the idea.

These games punish you for not prioritizing effectively.
If you just do all the side-quests just because they're there you're liable to fall behind and your situation is going to get worse while you wander aimlessly.
Instead you have to figure out which quests are more urgent and which ones will have results that are most useful to you at the moment and try to play "efficiently" otherwise things will get worse faster than you can make them better.
Post edited October 28, 2016 by paul1290
tinyE: Now this looks like my type of game! And it would be my game....if it didn't cost that much. ;P
Venita: There's a very solid demo if you wanna check it out.
I had a question about the system requirements for OS X: You say it needs (at minimum) a Core Duo Mac with 512 MB RAM minimum running OS X 10.9.0...but Macs with those specs can only run OS X 10.6. On Soldak's website, they say that it needs a minimum of OS X 10.4...could you clarify that?
"Made by Soldak" should be a part of the release advertisement.
CharlesGrey: Oh, I was talking more about the game content and gameplay systems. Have you already tried it? Anything good about it, which stands out from other games in the genre?
HereForTheBeer: Maybe the "dynamic, evolving, living world" and "Your choices truly impact the game!" are the big differences. Would be a nice change from the typical set-piece world of these action-RPGs.
CharlesGrey: I could be wrong, but I'm afraid that mostly sounds like marketing talk to me. XD

What specifically does that even mean, in gameplay terms?
I would describe Soldak games in general (haven't tried this one) as being a cross between a standard Diablo-style ARPG and a roguelike (towns, dungeons, loot and more are all procedurally generated in Soldak games; permadeath is not the default, however). The upshot is high replayability; the downside is that it can wind up seeming even more repetitive over the long haul than a normal ARPG.
EDIT: Also, as others have mentioned, there's the whole "living world" aspect making the quests actually feel urgent. But nobody ever makes the roguelike comparison with their games, which I find odd.
Of course, I don't know how the new/improved systems affect the gameplay, so maybe this is more interesting and varied than Din's Curse (the only title of theirs that I've played), which is great for what it is (a hack-and-slash quasi-roguelike dungeon-crawler), but which kinda burned out any interest I might've had in the rest of the studio's games.

On an unrelated note, I really hope they go with a newer game engine for their next title.
Post edited October 28, 2016 by HunchBluntley
Venita: There's a very solid demo if you wanna check it out.
rampancy: I had a question about the system requirements for OS X: You say it needs (at minimum) a Core Duo Mac with 512 MB RAM minimum running OS X 10.9.0...but Macs with those specs can only run OS X 10.6. On Soldak's website, they say that it needs a minimum of OS X 10.4...could you clarify that?
OS X 10.9.0 is the oldest version of OS X that we will support hence the requirement.
paul1290: Amusingly, you have the option of completely turning off zombies in the game.

In that case it pretty much turns into a bigger and better Depths of Peril, which is cool because Depths of Peril was awesome.
I'd actually compare it more to Din's Curse or Drox Operative, but that's my general first impression. In fact, it's an interesting melange of gameplay styles and mechanics, from Drox Operative all the way to Depths of Peril.

paul1290: Basically the world does NOT conveniently wait for you to act, and you pretty much have to push towards your win condition faster than the game is pushing you back.
Pretty much this. Soldak is very good at making games that feel genuinely organic to the player; things go on in the background with or without your intervention (and usually they're bad), making you feel like you're actually part of a greater world.
CharlesGrey: I could be wrong, but I'm afraid that mostly sounds like marketing talk to me. XD

What specifically does that even mean, in gameplay terms?
It does, but it's more or less true of Soldak games. They're somewhat simplistic everyone dies simulators in which the player can interfere up to a point. The setting simulation is still overwhelmingly more complex than in most ARPGs, though, which don't really do any beyond rudimentary respawn rules to keep you supplied with things to click to death.

Don't know about Zombasite, but the previous two reskins (Din's Curse and Drox Operative) were also prone to fall apart as you push the "world level" up. Post-release support is there but will die off once they move on to the next project.

Not the most enthusiastic endorsement I guess, but I like their games and will probably get this, too. If you're at all forgiving towards the output of tiny studios and find Soldak's one idea interesting, you should definitely try at least one of their games. The demos are enough to give a reasonable idea whether you like what they do.
Not interested in this game but I appreciate the fact that GOG has uploaded a demo. I hope it's gonna be a new trend for future indie releases on GOG.
Man, really dislike the zombie theme in general, but love Soldak's games!
EDIT:
Soldak, I meant Soldak...

CharlesGrey: So, hypothetically, if one already owns Grim Dawn, Victor Vran and various other Action-RPGs, would this one still be worth buying? Anything truly unique about it? ( And no, zombies don't count. )

I don't know, it could be decent fun, but looks kinda generic at a glance.
Naw, Kerbos's aRPGs are very un-generic, they're quite interesting. :)
Post edited October 30, 2016 by fulano5321
Hm, I played the demo for a while, but the pace is far too frantic for my taste, not my cup of tea.
Very nice to see it here ! :D
And glad to see a demo directly available with GOG ;) (good thing, especially for people not used to Soldak's games)
Post edited October 28, 2016 by Splatsch
paul1290: Basically the world does NOT conveniently wait for you to act, and you pretty much have to push towards your win condition faster than the game is pushing you back.
If you don't deal with the bosses in time they start building armies which will eventually overrun you.
If you don't rescue someone in time they will just die before you reach them.
If your clan has some kind of disease, then it will continue to get worse and inflict penalties until you gather materials for a cure.
If you get a quest to stop an uprising of monsters, then you can be fairly sure those monsters are going to do some bad things if you just leave them alone to gather and get stronger.
Those are just a few examples, but you get the idea.
That almost sounds too complex! Must be kinda stressful, if you have to worry about so many things which could go wrong, especially when ARPGs are usually fairly simple games.

But it does sound interesting, and different from other games in the genre. Might try the demo, or just buy the full version during a future promo. Thanks for the replies, everyone!
i_ni: "Made by Soldak" should be a part of the release advertisement.
No joke, I think just knowing that increases my interest level ten fold.