It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

What we do in the shadows.

Unavowed is now available DRM-free on GOG.COM, 10% off until August 15th, 1:30pm UTC.
Evil is awake in the city that never sleeps. Enthralled by a demon you did unspeakable things until the Unavowed freed you from its spell. Joining this ancient society that battles the supernatural might be your only chance for some answers and -perhaps- redemption.
Prepare for a branching narrative full of fateful choices and RPG elements in Wadjet Eye's most ambitious adventure to date.

Complete your collection with the game's Soundtrack.

In the press:

RockPaperShotgun calls the game "one of the most impressive point and click adventures made in many, many years".

PC Gamer concludes that it's "An atmospheric, well-designed adventure elevated by borrowing elements from role-playing games".

AdventureGamers describes it as "a stylish urban supernatural fantasy that is touching, funny, endearing, replayable and above all, fun".
Post edited August 10, 2018 by maladr0Id
I've been looking forward to Unavowed for a while now, so I bought it right away. But after purchasing and browsing through my Wadjet games, I remembered having some problems running Gemini Rue a while back. I believe there was an update that may have fixed some of these display issues last year. This has led me to have some second thoughts about my purchase unfortunately. Hopefully someone here can clarify as the Gemini Rue forum didn't have any answers.

Any word on if the gog version is already updated or will be updated one way or the other?
I'm tempted to buy this if nothing better comes out on GOG by the end of this week I will afterall I own everything else from this company. Waiting to see if any Sierra classics or other classic adventure games come out first though. Like if I saw Blackstone Chronicles I would buy it instead I've been wanting to play that again for a long time but that is the problem with newer computers the classics that you used to be able to play won't work on your system anymore. Anyway kudos to Dave Gilbert and WadjetEye Games for creating their best game to date. I say to date cause this is a company that will surpass themselves next year. Some companies it is hard to constantly crank out hits but this company seems to do that easily.
xKeiro: By the way I'm curious does any of you have hard time (like me) to appreciate this kind of art style? (I mean the in game one). I think they would look a lot better if they weren't pixelated so it frustrates me that the big chunk of pixels are there only to be there.
First of all, Wadjet Eye has doubled the resolution as compared to their last game. ;)

Second, the last p&c I played was Unforeseen Incidents. That was a high res experience with some pretty nice backgrounds, but it's obvious what they had to dispense with to achieve that at their given budget, and it's especially obvious when compared to Unavowed.

Unavowed has two main character models, dozens of distinct characters, character specific animations galore, it has heaps of animated backgrounds with neat lighting effects, plus some impressive cinematic/mood animations, it lets you zoom in on basically everything you'd really like to zoom in on etc. etc.

Unforeseen Incidents had not even a fraction of that, BUT it was in "HD". In the final part of the game, they're even joking about how the protagonist can't put on the fur jacket that's lying around in the icy cold because of budgetary constraints. Ah well, thanks for that fourth wall break, I guess. :|

As far as tradeoff preferences go... I'll say, Unavowed all the way. ;)
Post edited August 09, 2018 by Vainamoinen
shmerl: Unity game.
Uh, no? AGS, as always. What made you think otherwise?
Bought, along with pre-orders for Death's Gambit and State of Mind, to show my support for GOG

Will Gaucamelee 2 be coming to GOG too?
Laberbacke: Uh, no? AGS, as always. What made you think otherwise?
It's frustrating to not see a Linux release. They use AGS, which is open source, since from begining, to all their games and make no effort for other OSes. I really like Wadjet Eye games, but since Technobabylon I am disappointed.
gamesfreak64: I checked the folder after install ( i always do that) and a few Steam related files are installed whcih cannot be moved or the game will show a dialog telling it is missing something, i wonder why a non steam game needs a steam .dll file ?
mvscot: That's usually because the developer chose to have a single build which supports steam, but doesn't require it.

It's a valid development choice, though not the only way to achieve the same result. (For example, a more sophisticated method might look for the accompanying steam DLL before trying to load it, but that is less straightforward and introduces complications which can lead to problems - simple is usually good!)

Basically, the mere presence of a DLL doesn't necessarily imply a dependency on the corresponding external service.

EDIT: sometimes the developer can mess up and create an unwanted dependency, so you're right to be on the lookout for such things
Thanks for the reply , i know many devs like the easy instead of the hard way, ( i prefer easy also but sometimes its not possible)

Anyway if something is not used in a certain build it should not be there and checking if a .dll is needed should not be that difficult to do unless devs might like to do simple things the hard way, then again if you move the file it creates an error whichs means the main program is checking/depending on that 'not needed' .dll :D
Laberbacke: Uh, no? AGS, as always. What made you think otherwise?
Ah, I mixed it up. AGS supports Linux anyway, so why not? Though AGS itself is forever stuck trying to switch to SDL2 and never quite doing it.
Post edited August 09, 2018 by shmerl
A couple of the reviews are so obviously fake it's hilarious.

I am still waiting for the review which will claim this game cures ALL disease.
trusteft: A couple of the reviews are so obviously fake it's hilarious.

Such reviews as?

Darvond: Such reviews as?
These two.
Both from reviewers who created their account with the release of the game.

==========================
After years of working alone, Dave Gilbert turned the story design of Unavowed over to renowned Bioware veteran Jennifer Hepler, and it shows. Unavowed discards outdated aspects of adventure games like brain-aching puzzles, stuffed inventories, sprawling maps, and pixel hunts, and replaces them with a Bioware-inspired narrative, in which how to resolve moral quandaries is the real puzzle. Like Technobabylon, Unavowed features welcome diversity alongside the hysterical humor that comes from Gilbert's script work and his stable of talented voice actors. There are also moving moments and a lots of hard-edged darkness for those looking for serious stuff. It's noteworthy as well that the graphics have gotten a welcome upgrade to higher resolution, showcasing the excellent art.
Many reviews have called this an instant classic, but the classics had what everyone now recognizes as self-destructively bad design focused on frustrating and "challenging" the player. Unavowed is not a "classic," but a gloriously modern story-game. If only it had come 25 years ago, it could have saved the genre from itself.

This game is one of the best games from Wadjet Eye Games.I mean the look at the sprites and the characters animations!!!It's fantastic!!!The story is soooo great!!Awesome ideas created in this game.I especially liked the man who is wearing a black hat and idk his name.In shortcut,it's recommended at all price!!!Thank you Wadjet Eye Games and Mr. Dave Gilbert.
Post edited August 10, 2018 by trusteft
Those reviews seem forced as fuck but i do like Wadjet Eye adventures and has done for many years so i will be keeping an eye on this game.

RockPaperShotgun and PC Gamer are useless nowadays so not much help in deciding either.
Post edited August 10, 2018 by ChrisGamer300
ChrisGamer300: Those reviews seem forced as fuck but i do like Wadjet Eye adventures and has done for many years so i will be keeping an eye on this game.

RockPaperShotgun and PC Gamer are useless nowadays so not much help in deciding either.
Here is the thing, when I see obviously fake reviews like that, it makes me want to stay away from the game (or whatever else the review is about), not to purchase it.

I had interest in the game, it looks nice even though I despise pixel art or anything approaching it. Have these people try to play "retro looking" games on a huge ass screen? They look terrible. Actual 2D games from the 80s and early 90s look better.
ANYWAY, I have no idea if the game is good or not. I hope to get it one day but reviews such as them make me want to stay away from the game for a while.
I mean, FFS, if you are going to make fake reviews, at least don't open the accounts just when the game is about to be released and just to write an obviously "pushing it" positive review for the game. It screams fake.
ChrisGamer300: Those reviews seem forced as fuck but i do like Wadjet Eye adventures and has done for many years so i will be keeping an eye on this game.

trusteft: Here is the thing, when I see obviously fake reviews like that, it makes me want to stay away from the game (or whatever else the review is about), not to purchase it.

I had interest in the game, it looks nice even though I despise pixel art or anything approaching it. Have these people try to play "retro looking" games on a huge ass screen? They look terrible. Actual 2D games from the 80s and early 90s look better.
ANYWAY, I have no idea if the game is good or not. I hope to get it one day but reviews such as them make me want to stay away from the game for a while.
I mean, FFS, if you are going to make fake reviews, at least don't open the accounts just when the game is about to be released and just to write an obviously "pushing it" positive review for the game. It screams fake.
I do agree that seeing fake reviews is off putting but if you like their games then it might be worth to wait for more impressions on the game rather than avoid it because of a few early fake ones however if it was proof that the developer faked it then yes i could understand wanting to not give money to the developer just out of principle if nothing else.

As you said though it's wise to be catious for now.
Like this one:

This is the first Wadjet Eye game where I found myself skipping the dialogue, and that was during the intro. I quit shortly after because that game is simply terrible.

Characters are bland and uninteresting. Puzzles offer very little challenge and logic/credibility. The writing is bad.

The story is boring.

It is, coincidentally, the review of some guy who gave every single visual novel one star without ever playing them, for some he posted TWO one star reviews, just to make sure, went on the forum falsely claiming GOG did a "review wipe", proceeded to rate the soundtracks to those games "pedophile trash" as well. There are, IDK, about 50 one star reviews to his account, among them Curse of Monkey Island and Thimbleweek Park, and especially since he liked that clusterfuck "The Raven", you can easily guess that he is just about the least qualified person on this earth to review adventure games. :|

So don't worry, there's more than enough unsubstantiated negative reviews to balance out anything that may be too positive for you to believe they could be those of genuine fans.

Heck, wadjet eye is probably making those heaps of fan art themselves as well. :)

I'll post a review when I'm done with the game, but as it looks right now, four hours in, I'll easily outdo the praise in the two supposedly "fake" reviews you posted.
Post edited August 11, 2018 by Vainamoinen