It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

This sci-fi puzzle game will pose you with some inspiring questions! The Talos Principle: Gold Edition is now available DRM-free on GOG.COM with a 90% discount that will end on 9th October 2020, 1 PM UTC. As if awakened from a deep sleep, you find yourself in a strange world of ancient ruins and advanced technology. Tasked with solving a series of increasingly complex puzzles, you must brace yourself for a mind-blowing challenge.

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG.COM account to join now!
ciemnogrodzianin: I've never played this one and – as far as I know – it started a whole games genre.
What genre would that be?
How much does this game cost in Russia at this moment?
Leroux: What genre would that be?
Perhaps "genre" is not a proper word. I mean that kind of "narrative-based puzzle game played from a first- or third-person perspective" – I thought this genre/style/idea has found many followers and a lot of games tried to create something close to TTP experience.
ciemnogrodzianin: Perhaps "genre" is not a proper word. I mean that kind of "narrative-based puzzle game played from a first- or third-person perspective" – I thought this genre/style/idea has found many followers and a lot of games tried to create something close to TTP experience.
Doesn't that description fit to Portal already? There were also other FP puzzle games with narrative between Portal and TTP, like Magrunner. What might be kind of new in TTP is the semi-open world though. Portal, Magrunner and the likes were still linear and level-based, TTP gives the players a little more freedom about the order of the things, IIRC. Not sure if any other FP puzzler already did that before TTP (if we don't count Myst-likes). Off the top of my head, I can only think of one other game that did it afterwards, that is The Witness. But I'm probably overlooking something. :)

Anyway, it's a pretty good game. Good to finally see it on GOG!
Post edited October 02, 2020 by Leroux
Great news on the one hand.

But on the other - no Linux version, and given that it doesn't even have winehq page it's difficult to guess if it will work on Wine without much struggle.

Is there any chance for the GOG linux version in the future?
Leroux: ...
Thanks for the explanations, I don't know none of the games mentioned by you :) Except Myst – which was my first and only association in this case, to be honest. I was referring to one of Polish magazines, where some indie game was reviewed as "oh, here's another TTP's clone". Perhaps there are more followers among indie games, the genres' distribution is a bit different there.

Anyway – still thanks for the clarifications. I've started to think I'm missing something interesting with all these games, I should try them. I'll use your list as a guide ;)
ciemnogrodzianin:
Yeah, I would say Portal is the one that really started this "genre". Since it was developed and published by Valve, fat chance of that one ever coming here though (unless via the Galaxy store ;P).

Other good games in the genre include Q.U.B.E. (2) and TRI: Of Friendship and Madness. Supraland has elements of it, too.
Post edited October 02, 2020 by Leroux
Nice catch.

Doesn't really sound like my cup of tea but Talos Principle is one of those game's that's gotten a lot of attention and hardware review time, so its absence was certainly noticed.
GOG.com: The Talos Principle: Gold Edition is now available DRM-free on GOG.COM with a 90% discount that will end on 9th October 2020, 1 PM UTC.
This could have been the perfect release, a Gold Edition without having to bother about separate DLCs, full language support, the soundtrack included in FLAC format and a 90% launch discount. Even the regional extra charge is still tolerable with less than 10%. But once again the Linux version is missing! Very disappointing, GOG!
Post edited October 02, 2020 by eiii
Any chance to see the VR version released here ?
Melvinica: How much does this game cost in Russia at this moment?
109₽ (with 90% discount)
Bought it without knowing the game. I hope it´s good. I simply haven´t found a method yet to resist 90% sales.
rmoomr: Great news on the one hand.

But on the other - no Linux version, and given that it doesn't even have winehq page it's difficult to guess if it will work on Wine without much struggle.

Okay... Word of advice...
I don't know if you're new to this, or perhaps not versed enough... And quite frankly it doesn't matter...

What I am about to say is a general good info for Linux gamers regardless of experience level.

The WineHQ AppDB is at this moment (and as time passes even less so) NO INDICATION of current status of "if things work under Wine".
That is so for a number of reasons:
1.First of all Wine more or less refused to acknowledge DXVK, and at least for some time removed / moderated / made fuss about reports that included DXVK (they didn't see them as "valid"). So that filters off A LOT of proper reports from out there.
2.Even few years ago when DXVK wasn't a thing yet the WineHQ AppDB was a TOTAL wild west.
They kept closing valid bug reports for reasons such as "we don't talk about DRM related problems here" (for bug reports regarding Denuvo when bcrypt.dll wasn't implemented in Wine yet, those reports were TOTALLY legit, and should have not been closed as that LITERALY choked the progress and slowed it down).
3.Wine devs are a pretencious bunch that gets easily offended and turns their heads when some totally legit accusition shows up which they don't like. There are existing bugs that are TOTALLY ON WINE but they fail to acknowledge that and instead make a great deal of their own pissing contest in a form of "who should we blame next instead of fixing stuff". That slows down development and frustrates more knowledgable community members.
4.Close to nobody bothers to actually retest software with each (or even as little as every few) Wine release.
That literally makes it so that regressions are often discovered months later.
5.Large amount of page maintainers are more of a "pride and prejustice freeloaders" and they fail to do their task, NOT moderating trashy reports, NOT retesting software, NOT doing what they are supposed to.
6.There is a large percentage of reports that are useless garbage because they don't meet ANY software testing standards nor any reporting standards (laconic, no details, vague descriptions, etc).
7.There is a large percentage of reports that are even more useless. These are the special kind. The "I got lazy / I touched stuff without knowing how to deal with things / I didn't bother and only tested if it works out of the box" kind. The kind of reports where somebody reported "garbage" status for something that should have "bronze" or even much higher. Completely useless trash kind of report. Not only that but also VERY misleading one.
YOU HAVE NO IDEA how INSANELY misleading it was before DXVK was a thing (and that about marks when people started SERIOUSLY posting test runs on youtube in LARGE NUMBERS that are easily found without some mission impossible tag flexing queries). Back before DXVK was a thing there were plenty of pages where there weren't actually a lot of people in the WORLD who knew the ACTUAL progress status.
When average "not in the know" person visited a page and saw a nicely lined up stack of "garbage" reports such person generally thought "that software must really not work yet". WRONG. Just a bunch of incompetent morons decided to gung-ho botcher the reports.
8.Because of 5,6 and 7 there is a rather major amount of pages that tell NOTHING useful to average person and that whole place is a mess. That was a thing before DXVK. And it continues to be a thing especially now.

There are other reasons why that whole place is not useful now but this is getting lenghty and you should get the idea already.
This may be offensive to some people and anybody is free to engage into CONSTRUCTIVE argumentation.
But that's the sad truth. Even if cause was noble that entire page is close to useless now.
Unfortunatelly that is the reality.

If you (any of you linux gamers) want to get the actual idea then use these:
1. ProtonDB - there is rather large amount of reports there that actually are for non steam versions.
Plus steam versions of games generally don't differ much IF AT ALL in terms of "if they work on wine".
https://www.protondb.com/
2. Lutris - if there is a game page and there exists an install script then it means it at least "somewhat" works
https://lutris.net/games
3.Youtube - search for "game name dxvk" or "game name proton", preferably in recent months videos (to get idea about CURRENT state of things), there are some entire channels dedicated solely to test run videos.

Hope that helps :)

L.
Glad this is finally here, would much rather a GOG version, and the discount is tempting enough to get it now.
rmoomr: Great news on the one hand.

B1tF1ghter: Okay... Word of advice...
I don't know if you're new to this, or perhaps not versed enough... And quite frankly it doesn't matter...
I get it all, but it seems to me here we are confronted with a special kind of a problem, not necessarily related to quality of winehq.

Namely, we have a game which has a version native to Linux (although with DRM) and for which up till now there was no incentive whatsoever for anybody to run it using Wine.

So I can't find anything actually about it on the net, not only in the winehq db.