It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The long-awaited finale to the epic RPG saga from Nihon Falcom comes to a head. Along with the largest roster of characters in the series and a polished battle system, The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV is now available on GOG.COM!

Want to learn more about the company that created The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel series? Read our interview with the president of Nihon Falcom.

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
If they're gonna charge €20 more for the special edition, they could have at least added the complete soundtrack. 20 tracks is less than a third of the music.
Kyousuke.: Are all the bonuses in bold still timed or can they be still gotten when purchasing the game after that time? I'm wondering this since they are part of this "launch week", but only ost and artbooks have the aforementioned timeframe.
Judging by the behaviour of previous NISA releases, the bolded items will stay. Besides, the deluxe costume sets are nothing more than the standard cosmetic set DLC:
https://www.gog.com/game/the_legend_of_heroes_trails_of_cold_steel_iv_standard_cosmetic_set
Post edited April 10, 2021 by Grargar
Did they mess with the translation to appease to a specific demographic with this release? I seen the $h^T show that was the last one with the translation team and what they did to the jokes and such that was in the game.
I want to to finish Trails in the Sky 3rd before moving on the the Trails of Cold Steel Series. Wishlisted for now.
TZODnmr2k5: I was wondering the same, and if they're not timed then I can easily wait for a sale...
Same here...

Grargar: Judging by the behaviour of previous NISA releases, the bolded items will stay. Besides, the deluxe costume sets are nothing more than the standard cosmetic set DLC:
https://www.gog.com/game/the_legend_of_heroes_trails_of_cold_steel_iv_standard_cosmetic_set
What about the inheritable costume from owning cold steel III though? There was something similar for trails in the sky III too iirc, but that one was a temporary download, there was a serial key to downlaod it on your library.

DreamedArtist: Did they mess with the translation to appease to a specific demographic with this release? I seen the $h^T show that was the last one with the translation team and what they did to the jokes and such that was in the game.
What do you mean? Did someone butcher the localization due to SJW and crap propaganda?
DreamedArtist: Did they mess with the translation to appease to a specific demographic with this release? I seen the $h^T show that was the last one with the translation team and what they did to the jokes and such that was in the game.
I think no one knows the answer to that question as of yet. If censorship is present, it's also a hard thing to detect, because most players of the English version don't also happen to speak Japanese as well. Of the few who do, many of them are NISA apologists, who if they did find any acts of censorship on NISA's part, they would ignore and/or deny & spin doctor them as not being censorship (lots of people did exactly this in regards to the dialogue that is known to have been censored in CS3).

On a slightly different note: NISA certainly did make translation errors that are already known in the PS4 version of CS4. At the moment, it's unclear how many, if any, of those have been fixed in the PC version.

And back to the topic of possible censorship: NISA didn't release this costume, neither on their PS4 nor their PC version of CS4:

https://www.gematsu.com/2018/11/the-legend-of-heroes-trails-of-cold-steel-iv-vofan-designed-alisa-dlc-costume-now-available-in-japan

...which many members of the demographic you cite in the quoted statement, they strongly object to its existence, and have pro-actively called for it to be censored via not being made available in any Western release of CS4.

Apparently, NISA has said that that costume will not be released by them due to "licensing issues," but whether that's actually true or not is impossible to know. And they didn't give any details as to what, exactly, the alleged "licensing issue(s)" entails.

It's unlikely that that the VOFAN artist would refuse to let them use his Alisa costume, since apparently that same artist also made Rean's "Unspeakable" costume, which he allowed to be featured in the English release of CS2.

So, the "licensing issues" could be an excuse that was used to cover up the act of VOFAN Alisa being censored in NISA's CS4 versions.

Either way, whether it's due to censorship or legitimately an unresolvable "licensing issue," the end result is the same: Western fans don't get that costume, and the people who object to its existence are very pleased about that.
Post edited April 11, 2021 by Ancient-Red-Dragon
So the game is censored out the box right?
MysteryK: So the game is censored out the box right?
Don't know. Could be censorship under the guise of "licensing issues," or could be legitimate "licensing issues."

But certainly it's missing the most controversial costume out of the box, and all indications are that it won't ever be coming in the future.
TZODnmr2k5: I was wondering the same, and if they're not timed then I can easily wait for a sale...
Kyousuke.: Same here...

Grargar: Judging by the behaviour of previous NISA releases, the bolded items will stay. Besides, the deluxe costume sets are nothing more than the standard cosmetic set DLC:
Kyousuke.: What about the inheritable costume from owning cold steel III though? There was something similar for trails in the sky III too iirc, but that one was a temporary download, there was a serial key to downlaod it on your library.

Kyousuke.: What do you mean? Did someone butcher the localization due to SJW and crap propaganda?
yeah cause some things was apparently sexist they re wrote dialog to make it none sexist or something and changed other things to make it more fitting for a western audience. There is a thing on YouTube about it, was pretty bad, the writers attacked people who asked them why and not leave it to the original thing. XD
Post edited April 11, 2021 by DreamedArtist
SpaceMadness: I want to to finish Trails in the Sky 3rd before moving on the the Trails of Cold Steel Series. Wishlisted for now.
You should play Zero and Azure as well!
MysteryK: So the game is censored out the box right?
No. I wouldn't bother taking anything that guy says at face value. There's bikini's and other costumes in the game that are showing far more skin than that costume mentioned. So there's no reason to even entertain the thought that it's "censorship".

"VOFAN is a Taiwanese artist and the illustrator for the Monogatari light novels." What does that sound like to you censorship or licensing issues? Now look at the costumes in the game already and ask again - Censorship or Licensing issues?

So are you gonna take NISA's word for it, or someone who's mind revolves around constant negativity, "fake news", and other delusional ways on how they're getting a screw job or being lied to by CD Projekt, NISA, and probably every other studio also?
TomNuke: So are you gonna take NISA's word for it, or someone
I'm not asking anyone to "take my word for it" that there is censorship in CS4. On the contrary: I openly admit that I don't know if there is, or not. I'm not asserting that there is censorship.

My point is merely that it's a possibility.

NISA has a long history of censorship across many different games.

And with CS3, they initially didn't release the most controversial costume of that game, which they also blamed on "licensing issues." Then, only after a huge public backlash, they released it months later. That release occurring after the backlash might have been just a coincidence, and it's possible that the costume was never censored and it was always legitimately just a "licensing issue."

Or alternatively, it could also be that it was initially censored under the guise of "licensing," and then the censorship decision was reverted due to the backlash over it.

Ideally, no one should have to take anyone's word about why VOFAN Alisa is missing from NISA's release of CS4.

Instead, NISA should publicly disclose, with full transparency, exactly what the issue is, and with whom, and for what reason (i.e is it about money? is it an objection to the content? or what?).

Were that to happen, then those details would make crystal clear exactly why the item is missing, and whether it's omission is reasonable, or not.

Yet NISA won't say anything more on the matter other than "licensing issues." So it begs the question: why are they hiding the details of what the problem is?
Post edited April 11, 2021 by Ancient-Red-Dragon
Kyousuke.: What about the inheritable costume from owning cold steel III though? There was something similar for trails in the sky III too iirc, but that one was a temporary download, there was a serial key to downlaod it on your library.
There was? I'm pretty sure that one was for the second Cold Steel and it gave you a serial if you own any of the Sky games (I still have my one and technically, it is temporary in the sense that the code is expiring in 2028).

Edit: At any rate, I see no indication that the Cold Steel III Costume bundle is a launch week bonus. On Steam, NISA doesn't mention it as part of the launch week bonus.
Post edited April 11, 2021 by Grargar
A swimsuit is "controversial" now? We back in the 1950's it seems.
low rated
Pfft. People being salty over missing trashy fan-service costume options.